spatio

ANSWERED:Vampire Sprite Update

I like the way you did the muscles! But I think the sprites are too dark and.. speckled? Dithered? It's more apparent on the female. And I think the markings should be their original paler colour: they're drawing my eyes away from the other parts of the dragon when I don't want that to happen.

They look grainy, just like the stone dragon. Which doesn't really work for the vamps.

Ok, the one on the left is slightly more saturated, and then I did the one on the right slightly less saturated in case I over did the color on the left.

user posted image

You can look at the colors used and figure out how you want to do it. For example, I might not have used -quite- enough contrast, but taking the shadows into the browns instead of the grays keeps her looking bright and creamy.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I have a teeny, tiny crit: The horns now look like they are a pointy hat, instead of 2 separate horns.

I will go hide in a corner now...

Ok, the one on the left is slightly more saturated, and then I did the one on the right slightly less saturated in case I over did the color on the left.

user posted image

You can look at the colors used and figure out how you want to do it.  For example, I might not have used -quite- enough contrast, but taking the shadows into the browns instead of the grays keeps her looking bright and creamy.

She definitely looks more like the original. I'm drawn more to the one on the right. It looks better with the male and it's also less saturated which makes sense with this dragon. Why would vampires have a beautiful creamy skin when they're supposed to be dead?

I edited the shading a little around the chest and hind legs- does she look less grainy now? I also added just a tiiiny bit more contrast to the colours Pokemonfan used on the right left (I didn't realise both of them were in the same image, so I'll do one with the actual right colours soon, I swear), and I attempted to lighten her feet-markings a bit. The colours used for the markings ARE those of the original, just with considerably more darks. I /thought/ you meant the ones on her feet, but if you meant any of the other ones, such as on the male, do say. And I also made the line between her horns a bit darker in an attempt to make them stand apart a bit more?

Edits have only been done to the female so far, because she seems to be the one mistakes are seen on most often- the male tends to look better than her. Or at least, in my opinion he does o-o

user posted image --> user posted image --> user posted image

I edited the shading a little around the chest and hind legs- does she look less grainy now? I also added just a tiiiny bit more contrast to the colours Pokemonfan used on the right left (I didn't realise both of them were in the same image, so I'll do one with the actual right colours soon, I swear), and I attempted to lighten her feet-markings a bit. The colours used for the markings ARE those of the original, just with considerably more darks. I /thought/ you meant the ones on her feet, but if you meant any of the other ones, such as on the male, do say. And I also made the line between her horns a bit darker in an attempt to make them stand apart a bit more?

Edits have only been done to the female so far, because she seems to be the one mistakes are seen on most often- the male tends to look better than her. Or at least, in my opinion he does o-o

user posted image --> user posted image --> user posted image

There seem to be some odd highlights on the ribs, and the thigh still looks weirdly blotchy where you tried to depict muscles. I also think that the near thigh should cast more of a shadow on the base of the tail - especially on the ventral part (downside area).

Much. It still looks a little ragged, but not blotchy any more. Which is a big improvement already.

aight guys I think I'mma try shading Vixendra's lines and doing some small edits to fix the like crits. 'Cause I want to.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Alright, first post should be up-to-date.

*cackles as more artists hop aboard the updoot wagon*

@TCA: You might have to PM VixenDra about line edits, I don't think she wanted anyone doing anything but shading them atm. I can't wait to see your sprites, though!

Edited by dragonwinxzodiac

I'd like to see outlines that are a bit more apparent, especially on their heads- the masks are slightly melting into the background.

Spatio takes the cake on shape but Shadowwolf6 takes the cake on shading.

But just remember that that large, round piece there is dragonwinxzodiac's! ^.^

Please let Shadowwolf6 do some shading on Spatio's sprites plz plz. /.\

I love the flat lines done by VixenDra. This has caught my attention so I have decided to try my hand at shading the adult female sprite.I've only been a spriter for 1 year and almost a month now so I hope it doesn't turn out to bad lol. xd.png

As far as my critiques go.I think that the current female sprite looks kind of dirty.I think the brownish color being used should be lighter so it doesn't look dirty or overdone.I think the shading on the inner wings for the male and the female is to dark and that it would look much better if it was lighter.Not as light as the original Vampire dragons but definitely lighter.I'll try to let my shading attempt show what I mean once it's done.

Edited by Ayumi_Seto

Ahhhh, so torn! These efforts are really beautiful, and they make for some gorgeous sprites. And I am NOT insulting anyone's hard work -- it's lovely art, coming along so well. On the other hand...

...I LOVE the vampires exactly how they are. I don't want them to change! At all!! I love how DC has a huge variety of not only dragon types, but spriter styles, and there are plenty of the older sprites that I would never want to see changed, even if they have a flatter, simpler aspect to them. Not everything needs to be highly shaded or highly detailed like most of the more recent sprites.

Particularly, I really like the head shape/proportions on the vampires, and there is something subtle in this revamp that loses those proportions. The height of the eye, the angle of the jaw? It seems smaller and more vulture-y in the original, somehow, and i preferred the smooth, hard, skull aspect of the jaws. Also, the new ones look just... beautiful and pearlescent, and I don't imagine the vampires as shiny, pearly creatures.

I think my overall issue with updating sprites, and again, please, NO OFFENSE to all of you talented artists doing really pretty and skilled things here, is just that this is a collecting game. People pick what they like best, and they collect it. I would rather we have the option of totally new sprites to collect or not collect, but once a dragon is in existence, I think it should remain as it is. I haven't ever thought it was fair to change the sprites after people have collected them, especially considering that a sprite could well have been A) their absolute favorite, or cool.gif used in lineages -- very specifically chosen for its palette, shading style, outline, etc. and how it looked in combination with other dragons. Changing sprites has basically been a train wreck for people whose preferred gameplay is lineage-making, from the very beginning. When the new Golds came out, it wrought havoc with all the old lineages because the palette, shading, and outline were all SO different. I was really sad when the original Nilia pygmy was taken away, because of both of the above: it had been one of my favorites, and I am so sad that it's just gone; and it used to be so nice and compact in lineages, with the way it sat in the lineage box, and matching in size to the other pygmy breeds. Now the forms are just too big and too sprawly and don't look nice anymore, plus the dimorphism ruins the symmetry of lineages that were built before it was added.

So as far as the vampires go, I am not in favor of changing them. Even though they aren't used in lineages!! I would still just be terribly sad to have my current vampires taken away. But couldn't this gorgeous pearly style and the rich velvety sense of the swirly wings be used on a different, new dragon, instead? A less vulture-skull dragon, and a more Victorian satin dragon?

Edited by Kelkelen

The wing shoulder still looks weird, like the wing arm has been tacked on. I think it would help if you deleted the line between the wing shoulder (muscle) and the wing arm.

The far horn looks too small, even if you take perspective into account.

And, well, the wing posture looks a bit awkward - but, unfortunately, that's true for a great number of dragons, so... huh.gif

user posted imageuser posted image VixenDra's Lines, shaded by Shadowwolf6

I really really like these two. My only critizism is the fact that aren't the female's red wings supposed to be a lighter shade than the males?

^^

I had actually never noticed that xd.png

Looking closer at the original sprites, the female's reds are a shade lighter than the male's, so I edited accordingly:

user posted imageuser posted image

I also updated the male's shading, and darkened the line on their face closest to the light.

Also, as a quick comparison for colour, would this:

user posted image

be better? Taking the warmer shadows of Pokemonfan's palette, but keeping the cold highlights of the first one I did?

Compared to the other two (And ignoring shading differences):

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Edit: Shaded Vixendra's baby vamps, too o-o

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Edited by Shadowwolf6

I like them all but especially like the Spatio sprite.

Got kind of slack in keeping the first post updated, my apologies! Everything should be up there now. C:

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image by Spatio (dragonwinxzodiac)

I love your set of revamp Spatio. wub.gif

Edited by ishlia

user posted image

I thought my line work was poopy so I gave up. And I really wanted to shade something. I'm having trouble with the neck but I'm doing my best on the body. The muscle definition is kind of fun and confusing.

user posted image

I thought my line work was poopy so I gave up. And I really wanted to shade something. I'm having trouble with the neck but I'm doing my best on the body. The muscle definition is kind of fun and confusing.

I think the colours are really nice. biggrin.gif

user posted image

I, too, love the colors. wub.gif But I think that the brightest highlight(s) could be a tad lighter. Right now, only the shadows and the "medium color" catch your eye, thereby hiding half of the shading.