SkySong278

A Tale of Two Schools OOC

Yeah I know about the class schedule, but anything specific you want us to do in the classes? Or are we just free to make up details?

I thought it was a good idea to incorporate breakfast in the mess hall, that's why I started with it in my own post, before their first class starts at 7. although breakfast isn't in the schedule, they can still have it. I think you can just make up what you want to happen in the classes and make npc teachers to run them. sorry if I didn't really answer your question the first time Silverphoenixx. I guess I misread it by accident.

Edited by Dragonpelt

Let's see... Here comes some more information about the schools. Please ask questions if you're wondering about anything or if I'm horrible at explaining what I mean! smile.gif

The schools are situated in castles (think Hogwarts, but more organized, less likely to get the students lost). In these castles are the dorms, a library, the lecture halls for the different subjects and a dining hall where everyone can eat three meals a day. In addition to this the staff lives in the castles as well, though their living quarters are off limits for students. Apart from mealtimes the teachers can be found in their respective subjects' classrooms from seven am to seven pm, so the students can come to ask questions in between classes.

The dorms are situated in one of the castles' towers and are separated by year - that is to say, the younger students live further down in the tower while the older live higher. This is to give the younger students less of a hard time getting to their rooms (there are of course only stairs), as well as to give them a shorter walk to their classrooms in the mornings (as they are young and new they might need more time than their older schoolmates to find their way) and a shorter way to their teachers should anything happen.

The rooms do indeed have attached bathrooms, but every floor also has a common room where the yearmates can mingle, as well as where students from other years can visit their younger or older friends.

Apart from the castle the campus also contains training grounds - these are mostly used in Powers. Powers also has a classroom where the students meet up for every class, but sometimes the teacher then takes the students outside to the training grounds. They have found that sometimes it is better to have a bit more space when training the powers of the students, as some of them are rather destructive.

Powers is also unique when it comes to teachers as this is a subject where everyone is not always required to learn the same syllabus. When the students enroll in the school they are assigned to the teacher the school feels knows the best how to develop that particular student's powers. As the teachers cannot all be teaching powers, usually powers is more of a self-study class supervised by the official Powers teacher (who is charged with making sure that every individual teacher takes good care of their students).

The Edgewood training grounds are situated a bit further into the forest while the Fortuna training grounds are a small hike away from the school into the mountains.

You are, as Dragonpelt said, welcome to make up what you want to happen during class (but remember that every teacher at these schools are highly competent researchers and that these are elite schools, so the classes are not expected to be easy)

I will draw up maps of the campuses and of the general area of the schools at some point, but as I've tried to do it I've realized that I'm terrible at drawing... So stay tuned!

(And welcome to the RP!)

Edited by Saikachan

I just kinda assumed it was like a debating class?

edit: whoops rude I forgot to thank you Saikachan! The extra info's really helpful for my mental picture.

Edited by Silverphoenixx

I was thinking the same thing about that one.

thanks, Saika for the extra info smile.gif

I was thinking it was a class where you learnt how to think logically and critically, and how to approach a problem in a constructive way. It does seem like the best way to learn these things are the Socratic method, so you might as well call it a debating class smile.gif

No problem! I love questions that make me think things through happy.gif

Oh another question, do the students get assigned homework in their classes? Or do they just take the class and then leave for the next one?

I think so. I thought that it would work like a school in real life. that's also why they have a study period so that they have that time to get their homework done and, well, study for any tests or quizzes that they get in their classes. I kind of tried to come up with a schedule much like a normal school as well as one that's a fantasy type school that has extra classes and an extra meal. I'll ask Saika if we can add breakfast to the schedule so that it's an official thing.

Sorry I haven't posted I've been very sick recently and could barely function.

I just had a question, none of the male students are the same age so does that mean they'll all be in different classes (I guess that works with the female students as well)

it's okay and I've been there.

I think all the classes are the same for everyone except for the electives. the main classes that are the majority of the day are mandatory (English, Math, Powers, etc.) but the electives the students can choose themselves. for the students that are younger, I think they are just on different floors than the older students and that's the only difference.

That's a very good point, Marcus Phoenix! After some discussion DP and I have decided to do it like this so that the characters will be able to interact a bit more:

Usually difficulty is decided by age, with the same aged students being taught the same material. Edgewood and Fortuna do not follow this method. Instead they have every class split into three difficulty levels (First, Second and Third). Every new student starts in First, and only when they have shown to the satisfaction of their teachers that they have mastered their material do they move on to Second. The same process happens there before the student can move on to Third. Only when the student have completed Third in all their mandatory and elective classes are they allowed to graduate.

Sometimes a student will complete Third in one class while still being behind in others and thus not having graduated. In this case the student is not exempt from the class they have completed, but will instead begin their own advanced project in that class - much in the same was as if they had been hired as a researcher. They can still receive guidance from their teacher, but they will no longer be graded.

A student can complete the different levels either by displaying mastery of the syllabus satisfactorily to the teacher during the year or by getting a good enough grade in the Advancement Tests which are held twice a year.

This means that any character could theoretically be in any class regardless of age.

I would love it if you all would post your classes with the level included here so that i can add it to your character sheets! smile.gif

Please use this form: Logic/Argumentation (Level), Math (Level), History (Level), Philosophy (Level), Physical Education (Level), English (Level), Powers (Level), Elective 1 (Level), Elective 2 (Level), Elective 3 (Level)

Edited by Saikachan

okay. guessing first is easy, second is normal, and third is advanced?

Logic/Argumentation (Second), Math (Second), History (Third), Philosophy (Second), Physical Education (Third), English (Third), Powers (Third), Art (Third), Geography (Third), Natural History (Third)

Edited by Dragonpelt

Ah alright. Well then for Sera it's:

Logic/Argumentation (Third), Math (Second), History (Second), Philosophy (Third), Physical Education (Third), English (Second), Powers (Third), Chemistry (Second), Biology (Second), Natural History (Second).

Righto then Guv'na!

Logic/Argumentation (2nd), Maths (2nd), History (3rd), Philosophy (2nd), Physical Education (3rd), English (3rd), Powers (3rd), Music (3rd), Chemistry (2nd), Geography (2nd)

I'm now back from my out-of-town trip. I got back on Sunday.

anyway, anyone seen Silver? she hasn't posted in awhile but she could also just be very busy in rl.

Ah sorry, I'm on vacation and Internet is iffy. I didn't manage to get a post in but I changed my sig when I left. Feel free to skip ahead a little if you want, I'll just make a longer post when I get back.

Edit: and here's Arinoir's class info Logic/Argumentation (2), Maths (2), History (2), Philosophy (3), Physical Education (1), English (3), Powers (2), Art (3), Music (2), Psychology (2)

Double edit: nevermind, got a post in. On the iPad so it's hard to tell how long it is for PC users, might be kinda short. Also, will there be a crystal soon?

Edited by Silverphoenixx

I'm going to pm Saika later to see if she'll still be posting in the thread, I'm sure she's been a bit busy and Marcus and Raptor have as well, and I'll also ask her about how frequently crystals show up for the students to get while competing against everyone else because I don't know at this time. I'll post the frequency on the first page in this thread once we get that figured out.

update: I heard back from Saika and due to school starting for her, she's been a bit busy with homework and such but she said that she'd check the thread soon. I also asked about the crystals but I haven't heard back on that yet. I also apologize that it's been awhile since I said that I'd pm her but life's been a little busy with work this passed month and weeks. it's starting to calm down new so I'll be on more frequently from now on.

Edited by Dragonpelt

Hi, and I'm sososososo sorry for just disappearing like that! But hey, I'm back!

Aaaand, there is a crystal for you all to (try to) catch! May the best student get it smile.gif

it's fine Saika. I think we all understand that real life can get really busy at times and you can't always get on as well as it taking priority over posting in here smile.gif.

How are we deciding who gets the crystal?

Edit: Welp, I just got an NPC and then Sera + Arinoir near it. Tell me if I need to change anything.

Edited by Silverphoenixx

I'll ask Saika and as for your post, I think it's fine where you put your chars so you don't need to edit it. also sorry for the very late reply to this. my life got busy.