Obscure_Trash

New Stun BSA

We got a new BSA! On our lovely Bolt dragons.

Stun a hatchling, giving it an extra day before dying but preventing it from receiving views for two days.

Seems mostly useful for trading but it has brought up some questions. From TLQ:

Questions about the new BSA:

1. Can things still grow up at 4d if they have enough views, regardless of Stun status? I was under the impression they require one extra view to trigger the growing up process but I'd like to be sure.

2. In a similar note to 1, what happens if I Stun a hatchie at < 1d, say 12h? It gains another day, putting it at 1d 12h, but can't gain views for 2d. Is it guaranteed to die or will it still grow up if it has the stats?

As far as I can tell, it always took that crucial extra view for a hatchling to hatch from its egg or to grow up, so I guess it will still be the same.

I've been wondering what this BSA could be used for, and got only one idea: Trading. For one, it will add a day to your hatchling's timer, giving you an extra 24 hours you have to trade it. Additionally, you're safe from losing your hatchling due to view-bombing for a full 48 hours. In the case of a hatchling with 4 days left that you still need to trade, you could use stun on it, put it up for trade and you wouldn't have to worry about it growing up within the next two days. Which is a good thing, I suppose.

What I'd seriously want to know, though, is whether stun wears off after teleport. If not, I foresee a lot of problems with trades that involve stunned hatchlings dying on their new owner's scroll due to being unable to grow up. (Considering that Incubate and Influence both wear off if the egg is teleported, I think it's almost safe to assume that Stun would wear off just as well - but I'd really like to be sure.

Another question is how a hatchling with 7 days left is affected. Will the hatchling gain a day, meaning it starts with 8 days left? Or will everything above 7 days be cut off? And can the same hatchling be stunned more than once? (Since each stun will stop the hatchling from gaining views for 2 days, you cannot use Stun more than 6 times on your hatchling without killing it eventually - unless, of course, you trade it.)

I stunned two spring hatchlings that were ER and they are now not ER anymore. I can also confirm stunned doesn't wear off when you view the stunned hatchlings on teleport at least so the added day seems permanent unlike incubate. I don't know if helps to understand the workings better but just putting it out there. View count of stunned hatchlings:

Views 1800+ UV- 380+ clicks 1-2

Stunned cannot be used on same hatchling twice

I wonder how long is the CD between one stun action and another. And as pink and red cannot use their BSA on low-time egg, do Bolts receive a similar restriction?

So are you going to use this BSA? What are your experiences with it?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Another question is how a hatchling with 7 days left is affected. Will the hatchling gain a day, meaning it starts with 8 days left? Or will everything above 7 days be cut off?

Stunned my 7 day hatchling, has (well, had, since it hatched a few hours ago) 8 days left. So it still adds a day.

Can only be used once on a hatchling, too.

Stun's cooldown is 14 days.

Edited by birdzgoboom

I am going to answer the my speculation on the question here whether there will be time restrictions on stunned just like pink and red can't be used on eggs under three days. My experience above confirmed you can use them on ER and turn them not ER anymore, which I think is very handy for trades. Or just add a day to prong growth for crucial trades.

Now someone will have to test with a very ER hatchling, at least under 3 days to see if they are able to stun or not. I personally think the limit will probably not apply to stunned.

As for cooldown period, it's 14 days, same as reds.

I think this BSA is going to be very helpful in some very crucial circumtances. Not something that someone is going to use every other day. But something that has been requested in various forms to give things extra time before growing up or dying before they become unable to be teleported or traded or more time due to unforseen personal or circumstances beyond someone's control that would have caused unfortunate events in this game.

And I say A++. I'm glad for it and I feel so much better having this as an option. Thank you so much for making this happen.

It doesn't show up in the action log blink.gif

The extra time DOES hold over a teleport.

Even after a teleport it knows the hatchie is stunned; you cannot stun it again.

And I may be wrong about this- but it SEEMS not to get views for the full 2 days, even after teleport. I guess I should have expected that, as it knew it was stunned laugh.gif

It was an s1, by the way.

It MAY only work on ungendered hatchies, unless there is a glitch: From TLQ:

Not sure what i have done or not done but just tried to Stun a Silver hatch 4.6 days but keep getting message Only hatchlings can be influenced.  unsure.gif

http://imgur.com/jI32uA4

I don't have an S2 to test.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think this will be pretty nice for Holiday trading/gifting. Sometimes its just hard to catch people during the holiday madness and this gives a little extra leeway. That and you don't have to worry about viewbombers killing your hatchies if you post in the holiday thread.

For regular trading, I probably won't have a lot of use for it, but its' nice as an option.

Last but not least, it will be very handy for the TMB raffle. It's always a little touchy getting the hatchy given out, I've had people try to ER the hatchy on my scroll before it could get to the winner.

One last possible use I might have for it is hatchy freezing. Sometimes when I ER an egg the views get a little too far out of whack for it to gender properly before it gets down to the wire. I've got more than one adult on my scroll that should have been a frozen hatchy. If they can gender while stunned, that will help me get them frozen before they grow.

Edited by Vhale

One last possible use I might have for it is hatchy freezing. Sometimes when I ER an egg the views get a little too far out of whack for it to gender properly before it gets down to the wire. I've got more than one adult on my scroll that should have been a frozen hatchy. If they can gender while stunned, that will help me get them frozen before they grow.

Things can gender while fogged, so gendering while stunned seems to be a logical extension of that to me.

I'm thinking this will be useful when trying to hold stuff for semi-active players - the extra day or two it buys you might be enough to complete a transfer.

I can think of a number of reasons for this BSA, so I think I will definitely be using this in the future. I definitely need to collect more Bolt dragons! Which I'm sure everyone else is also saying at this moment, haha, so I'm sure it will be a struggle (but an enjoyable one!) to collect more of this beautiful and highly useful breed.

Things can gender while fogged, so gendering while stunned seems to be a logical extension of that to me.

I'm thinking this will be useful when trying to hold stuff for semi-active players - the extra day or two it buys you might be enough to complete a transfer.

Well, they used to gender while frozen and now they don't. So I don't want to take for granted they can while stunned. I'm "testing" one and so far he's stayed ungendered.

/prods lil' hatchie

Update:

Well, as far as the test went it seems like it grew up almost as soon as stun wore off, though it was on the Eggs Around the World site so it may have been bombarded in the ER too. I never saw it gender during the stun. So the inability to get views may inhibit that, or at least won't make it any easier to catch. It may only be handy if you have something come up and know you can't watch it until a couple days later.

Edited by Vhale

Update:

Well, as far as the test went it seems like it grew up almost as soon as stun wore off, though it was on the Eggs Around the World site so it may have been bombarded in the ER too. I never saw it gender during the stun. So the inability to get views may inhibit that, or at least won't make it any easier to catch. It may only be handy if you have something come up and know you can't watch it until a couple days later.

Huh. Interesting. Wonder if everyone will have the same experience!

Thanks for experimenting. o3o

I am a little curious from an RP/lore perspective for Birdz on the BSA... Like is it just a temporary magical/biological thing, or does it actually cause the hatchling some discomfort? Or maybe a bit but nothing long lasting. I'm curious if hatchlings that have this happen to them if they are a bit woozy or miffed or if it might cause a hatchling to be a bit more sensitive to the Keeper/Owner to them into adulthood. Or maybe it's awesome and euphoric and they are more inclined to want the "Freeze" to remain hatchlings and may resent "growing up." Maybe it just depends.

I'm more curious not to ask a bunch of questions, but for the people who like to write dragon descriptions if they want to use the fact that this BSA was used on a hatchling they write a descrip about if it does or doesn't impact their personality. Or is it something that wouldn't unless the writer wants to make it so, or would it have already just been part of the dragon's personality and this wouldn't have made a deciding factor and these notions already existed before the "stun". (Like the dragon was especially grumpy about any effects it felt were "non natural" even though it may be completely natural like). And so the writer can talk about it, but it's the writer choosing to mention it but not so much the effect of the BSA.

If this is the wrong place for a question like this, lemme know and I'll kick it elsewhere.

Edited by natayah

It was an s1, by the way.

It MAY only work on ungendered hatchies, unless there is a glitch: From TLQ:

I don't have an S2 to test.

Yesterday I tried it on a s1 and today I tried it on a s2. Both worked

I'm too chicken (as usual) to try a BSA before I understand how it works. From what I read so far, I'm thinking of it as a short/temporary freeze.

ETA: I know that is not accurate but I like to categorize things.

Edited by NotBambi

I personally think it should wear off after teleportation. Due to it not wearing off, I'm weary of trades now.

What happens if someone trading a Hatchling doesn't state they used Stun and the person who trades for that Hatchling is basically stuck with a Hatchling who could've grown 2 days ago?

It would mess up my scroll sooooo much.

I say, "Hmmm this Hatchling will grow in 5 hours! I can get a new egg then!"

But Stun says, "LOL DERP NO IT WILL NOT. This Hatchling will grow up in XX Hours, when I wear off and it gets X more views! Mwuahahahaha!"

I personally think it should wear off after teleportation. Due to it not wearing off, I'm weary of trades now.

What happens if someone trading a Hatchling doesn't state they used Stun and the person who trades for that Hatchling is basically stuck with a Hatchling who could've grown 2 days ago?

But Stun says, "LOL DERP NO IT WILL NOT. This Hatchling will grow up in XX Hours, when I wear off and it gets X more views! Mwuahahahaha!"

But wouldn't you know from the Stolen/Laid dates? Sorry, still quite ignorant on this.

But wouldn't you know from the Stolen/Laid dates? Sorry, still quite ignorant on this.

I didn't think about that, actually. I always overlook certain facts. smile.gif

Still think people could at least give warning when trading. unsure.gif

Wouldn't the time shown in the teleport be accurate? So you know you're trading for something that will grow in XX hours. The viewcount might be iffy, but a gendered hatchie should still only take 1 extra view to grow when it reaches 4d.

I do agree it should wear off after teleport, as long as the hatchie won't die when it drops, just for the sake of consistency with the other BSAs.

I don't really see how this is useful. Giving a hatchling an extra day seems useful if it doesn't have enough views to hatch before dying, but not letting it get views for two days then totally screws that up and it would die anyway.

I don't really see how this is useful. Giving a hatchling an extra day seems useful if it doesn't have enough views to hatch before dying, but not letting it get views for two days then totally screws that up and it would die anyway.

Only if you stunned like a two days left hatchling. There is at least one post above with a stunned hatchling that grew up fine. o.o

Only if you stunned like a two days left hatchling. There is at least one post above with a stunned hatchling that grew up fine. o.o

Yeah, but you wouldn't know that the dragon was in danger of dying without enough views until 2-1 days left.

Yeah, but you wouldn't know that the dragon was in danger of dying without enough views until 2-1 days left.

I'm confused - and? As you can see we've discussed in this thread, this is mostly something you'd want to use for trading so you could hold the hatchling for longer without it growing up. It's not like the BSA is trying to trick you. It says right in the description the hatchling won't gain views for two days. o.o

If you need more views for a low time hatchling, just stick them in a fansite ER.

It's very useful for trading, I have used it enough that my bolts are already on cooldown. smile.gif

You would normally want to stun something that already has enough views. Also I'm not sure if someone already experimented this, but probably stun can't be performed if the hatchling is below a certain time like pink/red can't be performed on eggs under 3 days.

------------

Has anyone tried to stun something with less than 2 days to grow?

I am really stoked about this BSA. I was also (and still am) stoked about the Expunge BSA. Now the Expunge BSA has very limited use, but it really also enhances some of the RP and character of the dragons it relates to. And even some of the elemental mana aspects. Frankly I thought it really added a very awesome element to the lore of DC and our Valky world.

Now Stun has a TON more uses than Expunge. They may seem "limited" or "not useful" to you personally. That is until you have been in those circumstances. I know there are plenty of people who have asked for variations or mechanics that worked like or something like this for awhile because of their activities. I also think it is a really cool way to make a Shock or Lightning mana based skill that is also a useful game mechanic.

Not all BSAs are going to be as "wide spread usefulness" to all people like things like Incubate, Teleport or Influence. And as much as people may wish for it, I just don't think we are going to get a 2X Power Incubate. We might get variations, but we aren't gonna get "unlimited egg slots BSA, Insta-hatch BSA, I am GOD and You Obey My Wishes as I want them BSA." If the game were that easy, it wouldn't really be a game anymore. It would be click button. Done!

The player base has actively been asking for new BSAs to be released. The artists and admins and whoever are working on making that wish come true without overpowering them and still theme-ing them and making them fit and work.

But for anyone who does gifts, trades, or sometimes may have a hiccup irl or whatever when it comes to raising dragons, has the potential to really need this BSA in a crunch time. If you are never going to be that person, I am kinda surprised and applaud your dedication to self-reliant, non-interactive, hyper responsible game play. However, many of us can think of a circumstance in the past where if this BSA had been available, it would have made such a difference.

So While I'm not going to be building a "Bolt Army" because I need that Stun BSA on an every day basis, you better believe I'm collecting me some Bolts. Cause when I need it, it's really important. And these are great "rainy day" dragons... Oh was that pun too bad? I know... you are just Stunned.

I'll leave with that this BSA is great and I'm so happy to have it.

Edited by natayah

I'm saving a little hatchy to try out the under 3 days thing. It will be a bit until it gets there though.