Paradisiske

Add seconds to d.c clock

So it's pretty simple I just think adding seconds on the clock on the dragcave website would be nice because my phone is a few seconds behind the website and I'm sure other people have the same issue. So for example it would look like this 10:25:46

I don't think it has any cons and it should be pretty simple to code into the site imo

What do you guys think?

Considering that the time is only shown upon refresh, I doubt it would cause issues with lag and/or bandwidth, so support. (Unless my assumption is wrong, of course. Nothing is more important than to keep the site running smoothly.)

I don't like the idea. Right now it takes a little bit of effort and patience to be there for the 5 minute refreshes. Add seconds to the time and things become a lot easier and I can't help imagine more people being ready when the eggs drop.

I don't like the idea. Right now it takes a little bit of effort and patience to be there for the 5 minute refreshes. Add seconds to the time and things become a lot easier and I can't help imagine more people being ready when the eggs drop.

well thats kind of the point to make it more easier for people to be ready for the egg drops

If it were a running clock I can see this being useful but resource intensive. Since it's not, and you have to be there anyway, refreshing, to track the time, why bother with it? I don't see this adding anything useful.

What Fiona said, basically. If it were a running clock I could see the need for seconds. But if this is just for the advantage of people trying to be there for the drops... You have to be there refreshing for the drops anyways, why do you need a second counter as well?

What Fiona said, basically. If it were a running clock I could see the need for seconds. But if this is just for the advantage of people trying to be there for the drops... You have to be there refreshing for the drops anyways, why do you need a second counter as well?

What she and Fi said. You'd have to be nuts to leave arriving/refreshing for the drop till the last SECOND anyway.

No support.

If it were a running clock I can see this being useful but resource intensive. Since it's not, and you have to be there anyway, refreshing, to track the time, why bother with it? I don't see this adding anything useful.

Yep, basically this. Since its a static clock, having the seconds doesn't add anything. And I don't think I'd like a running clock, part of the nice thing about DC is its ease of load.

Frankly, I just changed the format of my computer clock to have seconds. And I'm 99% sure they make add-ons for most phones to do the same. Also, if you want to make sure you are there? Set an alarm. That's the only way to guarantee it. I use that method for another site, actually. And a few seconds either way, or a dozen seconds, doesn't make much difference. If you are cutting it that fine, you are likely to miss the drop for other reasons anyway.

So. No support.

Cheers!

C4.

The problem with seconds on computers or phones is that they're not necessarily in sync with the DC clock. For my computer, this is quite bad: Sometimes, they're almost in sync, with my computer being behind less than 5 seconds - and at other times, DC is almost a full minute ahead of my machine. (The latter is mostly the case just before maintenance and shortly after a new release. Go figure.)

Showing the seconds on the DC clock has one big advantage: I know at one glance whether it's time to stay in the biome I'm trying to find a particular egg in, or whether I have time to browse through the other biomes or the AP or do whatever else I do on DC. I know that the time shown is only accurate the second the page got refreshed, but that's quite alright with me. It still tells me what I need to know. Also, my computer clock only shows the seconds when I have the clock window opened. (And I've just now figured out how to show it in a window instead of a little mouse-over that goes away once I turn back to my browser.)

The problem with seconds on computers or phones is that they're not necessarily in sync with the DC clock. For my computer, this is quite bad: Sometimes, they're almost in sync, with my computer being behind less than 5 seconds - and at other times, DC is almost a full minute ahead of my machine. (The latter is mostly the case just before maintenance and shortly after a new release. Go figure.)

Showing the seconds on the DC clock has one big advantage: I know at one glance whether it's time to stay in the biome I'm trying to find a particular egg in, or whether I have time to browse through the other biomes or the AP or do whatever else I do on DC. I know that the time shown is only accurate the second the page got refreshed, but that's quite alright with me. It still tells me what I need to know. Also, my computer clock only shows the seconds when I have the clock window opened. (And I've just now figured out how to show it in a window instead of a little mouse-over that goes away once I turn back to my browser.)

+1

I really like this idea. My computer is somewhere between 5 to 15 seconds off of the DC clock depending on its whim (most likely depending on when it syncs the time with an internet time source, actually, but since it doesn't actively tell me I don't know when that is biggrin.gif) and I would do less frantic refreshing after the :00 mark if I knew how many seconds I had to wait.

As it is, I'm just doing a bunch of unnecessary requests to the Dragon Cave server that help neither me nor the server. (Can't even argue ad revenue, since I have those turned off through the subscription.)

Re: a running clock being resource intensive, the standard way to make running clocks on the internet is to have the server time sent once on page load and the seconds to tick on entirely with JavaScript, which means only the person hunting has to pay the resource hit (which is negligible). A JavaScript clock like that is prone to accumulating lag over a long time, though - but I suspect/hope we wouldn't likely be keeping pages open for hours to check the exact time down to the second.

Agreed with the two posts above - olympe and pinkgothic make good points. Also, most mobile devices CAN'T have second clocks, so I have check my watch, and it's not in-sync either - the DC minute rolls over at xxh:xxm:26s on my watch. Support.

I've noticed it quite often while hunting DC time gets out of sync with my local clock. I don't really know why. Some days they're exactly the same, some days DC is bit slow/fast. The difference can be as high as 40-60 seconds which is a lot when trying to time yourself exactly for a drop. Many times I visited the biome dot on time to notice DC was a minute ahead and drop was already done.

A DC clock accurate down to seconds is really needed.

For reasons already listed, I don't think this would be too useful. I wouldn't object to it/be upset about it, but I just don't see the need.

I think this would be useful, could it help people be ready for drops when it comes? Yes, but there is one problem. The lag. If people know the exact second the eggs are about to drop, then it's going to create some serious lag, especially during new releases. It already lags during the hourly drops during these times and some of the people's best bet is to get them during the five minute drops.

So no support

I think this would be useful, could it help people be ready for drops when it comes? Yes, but there is one problem. The lag. If people know the exact second the eggs are about to drop, then it's going to create some serious lag, especially during new releases. It already lags during the hourly drops during these times and some of the people's best bet is to get them during the five minute drops.

So no support

I'm not sure a non-refreshing clock would give much benefit, as it quickly becomes irrelevant unless you're good at counting time. The same is true of the less-accurate minute-based clock; adding precision only makes the problem work.

And a self-updating clock would need to be done browser-side, which basically means it's tied to your computer's (potentially inaccurate) clock.

To get a bit technical:

If the server returns its current time, and then javascript takes over and tries to update it every second, there is an unpredictable and indeterminate amount of time before when clientside scripts actually execute (due to downloading and processing of the page). This would make this sort of system inherently unreliable because it's pretty much guaranteed to be a few seconds off.

Having the clock consistently update from the server is simply out of the question resource-wise (it'd be a huge bandwidth sink, which can be managed server-side, but not worth it for most poeple).

Using Javascript's notion of time is completely against the point, as mentioned above.

Regardless of feasibility, I think the estimated importance of having seconds is being a bit overrated here. Clock skew is essentially random; if it wasn't then your computer would be able to account for it and keep your clock on the right time. So, it's random, and it affects everyone to some degree. That means that everyone's clock is more or less likely to be off; if your clock is early, someone else's is probably late. Eggs don't even appear at exactly 0 seconds after the hour.