RougeRaven

action log

ok i was in my scroll on dc and in the account stuff i found action log.

account stuff on dc

in there it shows what you have done for your dragon.

it also has a first and last page buttons that cant be used.

i love the action log but i wish i could reach the rest of my log and if i wanted deleat my log.

my action log

Huh, it is saying that it only has 4 actions on my action log so I think the First, previous, next, last buttons need to be removed

...so what exactly is your problem?

As to the navigation text still being there when you only have a single page log, I really don't think that's a problem. It's grayed out, which is what happens to links on DC when they're not available for whatever reason. It lets people know that navigation is possible, but isn't necessary in the current situation.

The Action Log is only for recent actions. It only records things you've done in the last 30 days.

As such, you won't need the navigation buttons if you haven't done many actions with your dragons during that time. However, if you've been breeding, using your BSA's, releasing eggs, etc., a whole lot - the log will separate into pages instead of being one long mess.

Here's how the action log looks when it's filled up:

user posted image

As you can see, the page changing options function, since I actually have that many logged actions.

If you're only seeing one page, it just means you haven't done over 100 actions yet.

I actually agree that I wish we could see the whole log, and not just the last 30 days... but I don"t think we should be able to delete it. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a record of all our actions in the first place.

Eta: left a couple words out

Edited by silver_chan

I actually agree that I wish we could see the whole log, and not just the last 30 days... but I don"t think we should be able to delete it. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a record of all our actions in the first place.

That's actually what happened when TJ altered the action log on the site's last birthday, but there were tons of corrupted old files that showed weird things like non-purples using fertility and mangled names on shallow waters, so he decided to change it to 30 days.

Remember this info has to be on a server somewhere. A server that has suffered datamonster attacks in the past. A server with thousands of users. It's just a waste of space to keep old, glitched out logs from years ago when that same space could be used for dragons.

In another thread, TJ explained why the whole log isn't shown:

30 days was always the intention. It just accidentally launched with a larger number.

Most actions going back aren't logged as fully (e.g. actions performed by a dragon on an egg only logged the dragon, not the egg), and that results in them not rendering correctly. Having a sliding window means that I'm not forever tied to the format things used in the past, or have to maintain different versions of the same rendering.

It's less about the storage required and more about the data format, which pieces of data are stored, etc.

Edit since I missed part of the op: no support for deletion either. Actions will self-remove after 30 days. That's more than sufficient imo.

Edited by AGYK

Aaah, alright then. That absolutely is good reasoning and I have no issue with it now that I understand TJ's reasons behind it.

No support for this idea.