Cireth

Brexit

Will Britain stay in or opt out?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just thought it would be fun to speculate on what might happen as today's the day. biggrin.gif

I have no idea.

Edited by Cireth

I had to go look up what this was. For those of you that don't know, apparently:

Britain will hold a referendum on Thursday on whether to leave the European Union, a process often referred to as “Brexit.”

I think I vaguely recall some info on this from a while back. Anybody willing to provide some background on why Britain is thinking of leaving the EU?

I'm not the most accurate source, but I believe they are leaving because

1. Economic problems in the EU

2. Constant disagreement and no progress with Germany about what to do with the EU

This is just what I remember from news sources some couple months back.

In any case, I hope they wont leave, but they most likely will.

Edited by serce2

I had to go look up what this was. For those of you that don't know, apparently:

I think I vaguely recall some info on this from a while back. Anybody willing to provide some background on why Britain is thinking of leaving the EU?

I've quoted + simplified this from the BBC:

"David Cameron promised to hold a referendum in response to calls from his own MPs (Members of Parliament) and UKIP (UK Independence Party), who argued that Britain had not had a say since 1975, when it voted to stay in the EU in another referendum."

So since then, the EU's policies and law on everything has changed "gaining more control over our daily lives" and in response to the problems serce2 mentioned above as well as the Migrant Crisis (immigration) and new countries joining the EU, some people believe we should leave the EU to 'protect' the UK from the problems affecting the EU.

If I could, I'd likely vote to stay in the EU, mainly because i'm worried about what'll happen to the economy (basically, trade + jobs, notably those employed to work abroad by the EU) and education (universities gain investment from the EU) if we do decide to leave. Like a lot of people, though, I am quite iffy on the subject since there's a lot to consider for and against Brexit. I have a feeling the results are going to be incredibly tight. sad.gif

Edited by lovecats99

I hope the UK stays in the EU, although honestly, I have no clue where this is going. As an outsider I have a unique outlook at this and I think it would be a bad decision economically for the UK to leave the EU. Having multiple countries' economies come together helps keep each country's economy stable.

Edited by w5aw5

It's currently extremely close according to the polls. Although that doesn't necessarily mean anything as polls, going by the May 2015 election poll, are often inaccurate. I'm actually quite excited to see the results and I'll probably be staying up all night to watch it unfold! I know how I'll be voting but I can understand the arguments in favour of the other campaign. It'll be interesting either way though!

I'm in the leave camp. I don't need my life micromanaged by unelected Brusselcrats (EU Parliament members).

They want to control everything from what sort of lightbulbs we can use to the wattage of our kettles. It's ridiculous.

Britain is strong. We can stand on our own and we can use the money we pump into the EU for our own national interests.

We can negotiate our own trade agreements.

With the amount of money we give to the EU back in our pockets we wouldn't have to worry about University funding and we could make the NHS great again.

I think it's going to be close and I have no idea which way it'll go.

Edited by Cireth

Thanks for the info, guys! Good start for me to look on my own to understand better now. o3o

So when will the results be known? Is there some site doing live updates?

Anybody willing to provide some background on why Britain is thinking of leaving the EU?

Because a vocal minority of idiots are throwing an uneducated temper tantrum.

I think they'll leave. But it doesn't mean I want they leave.

It really happened. 51.9% of voters voted for out.

Edited by sh20000sh

Can we attack the arguments and not the people please.

UKIP may be what you said but calling a lot, if not half, of all eligible British voters that is a bit harsh.

Think that includes me,

I'm all for out yes migrants play a big part we are a small country unable to barley cope with what we have here now, schools overcrowded, Hospitals unable to keep up with demand, lack of housing if we stay in we could be having as many as 5-10 million migrants entering over the next 5 years, the amount of money we pay to EU 350Billion a year (yes we do get some back) could be better used here

Think of the future children, grandchilden having to go to schools where half the class don't speak the language having to teach them the language taking the teachers away from what they are supposed to do, no spaces at nearest schools, if goes the way like the rest of Europe with the migrants it will be tent city, its bad enough for the young trying to get onto the property ladder with lack of housing sad.gif

No i am not a racist by any means, i have a lot of Muslim friends as well a other nationalities , Jamaicans Russian etc but we have to look after our own before others

Edited by rrattts

The Britons are leaving. I hope they will. I'm a French citizen, sick and tired of seeing Brits moving to France to take advantage of our health system. Just use your NHS and stop being parasites. We don't need you, we do not WANT you. Go. Go. Go.

edit: I'm very emotional about the subject. My mom died while in the queue, behind a bunch of Brits that never gave a cent towards our health system but moved to Provence when they retired. I wish those parasites the worst, I wish I could have my mom back.

I'm so mad while reading the selfish responses of Brits. So worried about their overcrowded schools (because that does not happen anywhere else, obviously) or the number of migrants. And that selfish approach goes on while Italians are busy rescuing thousands of human beings: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/06/2...y/#.V2y8fqQpA-U

Yeah, do you really think that any Brit child will be damaged by interacting with poor migrants that speak a different language? Guess what... maybe you guys could take the opportunity to learn a language, since your brains seem limited to badly-written english?

Gawsh I'm ready to explode. Selfishness and close-minded people always get me.

Edited by PewterEyes

Britain is strong. We can stand on our own and we can use the money we pump into the EU for our own national interests.

With the amount of money we give to the EU back in our pockets we wouldn't have to worry about University funding and we could make the NHS great again.

Amen to that. It's time that strong countries put the interests of their own people first,

and I am glad that Britain took the lead in doing that.

There's a big uproar over here about the vote going the way that it did, but I say, more power to Britain.

Edited by StormBirdRising

I'm in the leave camp. I don't need my life micromanaged by unelected Brusselcrats (EU Parliament members).

They want to control everything from what sort of lightbulbs we can use to the wattage of our kettles. It's ridiculous.

I think it's going to be close and I have no idea which way it'll go.

They voted for a leave but the question is: Can they? Will EU let them?

I hope they can leave, we are many up here who want to leave too.

The Brusselcrats dictate over our heads, demand special sizes on cucumbers and strawberries. Yes, it's ridiculous. -.-

We don't get much help with the stream of incoming refugees and can't continue treating them like cattle. sad.gif

We also don't get help with all the beggers that sits in every corner and live in hazardous illegal camps for years, even though we give their homecountries EU-money to help them there.

We pay EU lots of money to help other countries but what help do we get back? unsure.gif

It's not that we hate people from other countries, in fact in many cases we'd welcome them with open arms, it's just that our Government handles the situation poorly at times, which leads to backlash against migrants.

It also doesn't help that that officials seem to be trying to stamp down on any kind of national pride. Display an English flag during a sporting event and you might get warned or fined. We're not supposed to say 'Merry Christmas' any more in case it offends people. When I was at college I was talking to a classmate about King Arthur and was given a warning! For explaining Excalibur!

CatCreature, I am wondering this too, how Britain leaving the EU is going to work. I don't think the EU would block it, Britain is a sovereign nation, but I'm trying to think about a timetable for it, new laws that have to be implemented, the currency situation (though I can't imagine that changing much).

Fortune, you can't talk about King Arthur? I can't imagine that. blink.gif

I'm not the most accurate source, but I believe they are leaving because

1. Economic problems in the EU

2. Constant disagreement and no progress with Germany about what to do with the EU

This is just what I remember from news sources some couple months back.

In any case, I hope they wont leave, but they most likely will.

Basically, they voted to leave because of a ludicrous campaign which started out with the government being so sure they would win that they did nothing, and the extremist UK newspapers and the OUT campaigners lying through their teeth and whipping up racism - which was the big issue they made hay with (one classic example of their hype was Boris Johnson saying we all have to buried in a "eurocoffin" - there is no such thing and it isn't true - and today (after it's all over - the other main out campaigner - one Nigel Farage - has cheerfully admitted to two whopping lies he has been repeating throughout.

I hate it all - but what really upsets me is that the public voted for out with NO information made available to them, just based on lies and xenophobia. If it had been an informed vote, I could more easily live with it sad.gif But it wasn't.

I recently learned about this issue today. So, basically Britain is leaving the EU because of micromanaging tendencies and economical issues as well as flaws in the healthcare system. From my personal outlook, I think that Britain leaving the EU is a decision which contains an enormous risk for its economical equilibrium. Evidently, without the flexibility to obtain jobs from abroad and trade will become something much more complicated. I'm sure Britain can negotiate new trade agreements and more but it's not something to happen overnight, and the removal of such benefits provided by the EU will impact Britain negatively in an inevitable manner. I understand that there are problems in the system when it comes to Britain and the EU, yet are these problems actually so large, and so damaging that this country should risk all of the benefits it possesses by leaving? I think it's a very drastic decision to make and endangers Britain's stability in many aspects. And yes, EU may choose to block out Britain when it comes to international commerce, perhaps not entirely but economically speaking, the situation for Britain may become increasingly complicated since it needs time to stabilize, adjust and create new economical ties at an international level. On another note, when it comes to the influx of immigrants being "excessive" it's important to remember that they can contribute to the country as well with their abilities, professionally speaking, and providing a wonderful cultural diversity. The British government definitely should invest its revenue in improving its educational and health systems so face the flaws and deficiencies within both, especially now that so much of its wealth will now be focused to national interests.

Edited by andromedae

No, they are leaving because the populace was fed a shedload of duff information.

For instance - they were told we could have a deal like Norway has.

Norway has a deal by which they have to abide by ALL EU regulations including the ones about free movement of people, and yet they have NO say in making those rules. If we got that, and there is no guarantee it's on offer, then, we would be as we have been for years, but with no say in anything.

We cannot manufacture to our own rules as under different rules we couldn't sell within the EU - our products wouldn't meet their standards.

We would lose loads of essential workers - like, for instance, all the care assistants my mother's care home - the manager has had a few English ones and all had to be dismissed for uncaring attitudes and laziness - I'm not kidding; she was appalled. The Polish and Romanian ones are lovely. The GOVERNMENT was just advertising for nurses and doctors in the EU. But under their own laws - they won't be allowed to stay very long - they'd already said they'd make everyone go back after a year... The jobs people are convinced are being taken from them are the same jobs that people going to the unemployment offices refuse to take. It's all sickening.

So, misinformation is the culprit? That's comprehensible to a certain extent, although I think there's more to lose by leaving the Union than by remaining. I've been hearing all sorts of criticism to the health system as well as the vast amount of money Britain invests in the EU's interest versus the nation's own. Wouldn't Britain be leaving the EU due to a collection of numerous factors instead? It's probably different reasons for every individual, in my opinion. Economically speaking, Britain is already facing negative consequences (alongside the rest of the EU), Banks are faring poorly as well as the power of the pound already beginning to diminish significantly in a very short period of time.

So, misinformation is the culprit? That's comprehensible to a certain extent, although I think there's more to lose by leaving the Union than by remaining. I've been hearing all sorts of criticism to the health system as well as the vast amount of money Britain invests in the EU's interest versus the nation's own. Wouldn't Britain be leaving the EU due to a collection of numerous factors instead? It's probably different reasons for every individual, in my opinion. Economically speaking, Britain is already facing negative consequences (alongside the rest of the EU), Banks are faring poorly as well as the power of the pound already beginning to diminish significantly in a very short period of time.

Hm. Where are you ?!

The NHS - the big issue is the huge amounts of cash wasted on government targets (which have more to do with soundbites than health, and which impede clinicians no end) and ludicrous management initiatives and reorganisations. The number of payoffs for managers they appoint and then reorganise out of their jobs is sickening. Kestra can testify. Even before this lot were in power, I worked in the NHS in the same job for almost 20 years, During that time, I had 11 employers and I wasn't even trying - it just happened to me. But several times I had to spend days I could have been being useful filling out - yet again - an application for the job we all knew I would be staying in.

Also Britain is (has been sad.gif) a net GAINER from the EU - who have invested huge sums in infrastructure etc - and, incredibly, a few people interviewed on TV today who were doing the jingoist "yay, the end of immigrants" dance thing were asked - but what about all the money spent by the EU on regenerating this place after all the mines closed ? "Oh I don't know anything about any of that; I'm just glad we are rid of them." I wonder how long they will feel that way. Not least when all the Polish dentists are sent home...

I think the economic consequences will be dire, at least for a long while, but in fact I am more concerned about how far it will push the country back towards general intolerant xenophobia, grindingly low pay for anyone but top managers, and general nastiness.

Fortune, you can't talk about King Arthur? I can't imagine that. blink.gif

We can, it was just the Deputy Head being overzealous. We had been talking about the Disney movie Sword in the Stone in class and one girl admitted she hadn't heard of King Arthur before. I was talking to her about it on our way to our next lesson and was overheard. Next thing I know I'm being told off for ' attempting to promote English mythology over the beliefs and traditions of a different ethnic background'.

Nothing came of it, but it's stupid and petty stuff like that that causes resentment.

Hm. Where are you ?!

The NHS - the big issue is the huge amounts of cash wasted on government targets (which have more to do with soundbites than health, and which impede clinicians no end) and ludicrous management initiatives and reorganisations. The number of payoffs for managers they appoint and then reorganise out of their jobs is sickening. Kestra can testify. Even before this lot were in power, I worked in the NHS in the same job for almost 20 years, During that time, I had 11 employers and I wasn't even trying - it just happened to me. But several times I had to spend days I could have been being useful filling out - yet again - an application for the job we all knew I would be staying in.

Also Britain is (has been sad.gif) a net GAINER from the EU - who have invested huge sums in infrastructure etc - and, incredibly, a few people interviewed on TV today who were doing the jingoist "yay, the end of immigrants" dance thing were asked - but what about all the money spent by the EU on regenerating this place after all the mines closed ? "Oh I don't know anything about any of that; I'm just glad we are rid of them." I wonder how long they will feel that way. Not least when all the Polish dentists are sent home...

I think the economic consequences will be dire, at least for a long while, but in fact I am more concerned about how far it will push the country back towards general intolerant xenophobia, grindingly low pay for anyone but top managers, and general nastiness.

You are right, you are so right.

And all of the sudden there are people in the chat rooms saying "oh I didn't really think we were going to leave, mine was a Protest vote" and/or "why do Euro politicians want us out as soon as possible and are involving EU lawyers?". Or, even funnier, "my vacation costs went up 10%, can't afford that, Cook stopped trading currency online, it is all the fault of the Eurocrats that I was so dumb that didn't think of the consequences."

At the same time the Leave-politicians, all of the sudden, want to delay leaving.

Frankly, Brits decided to leave, I'm ok with that. Just Don't Let The Door Hit You On The Way Out, get out NOW. #BonDebarras!

Edited by PewterEyes