ValidEmotions

The Supernatural's Guide to Being Human

I'm kind of throwing this out here before I forget (and as an interest check). So, don't expect very good formatting right this second. I'll get around to making everything look pretty in the next couple of days. Currently, there is no real plot; it's slice of life.

Anyways, supernaturals! Also known as preternaturals, monsters, mythological beasts, etc., etc. Your character(s) is one of these or a normal human (though I encourage you to be non-human). Werewolves, Vampires, or Fae (AKA Fairies or anything that's grouped with them). It's modern day and technology is making it harder to hide. So non-humans are starting to decide if they should become public or not. The Fae already came out ten years ago. (Well the rulers of the Fae, the Gray Lords, forced the smaller/weaker Fae into the public and have been keeping the more dangerous/powerful ones hidden away either in prisons or under human guise.)

Werewolves are in packs spread throughout North America, a little in Europe, and sparsely in Latin America. Packs don't have ranks such as Betas, Gammas, Omegas. The Alpha is decided based on who is most dominant, an instinctual decision that werewolves can typically figure out really quick. You're either more or less dominant than the next wolf. If it's hard to tell, you fight it out. Eye contact is a challenge of dominance so, unless you want to duke it out and risk losing, you don't meet the eyes of a more dominant wolf.

Dominants are aggressive. Their wolf is violence and rage, always ready for a hunt or a fight. Their human aspect keeps this under control - mostly.

Submissives are the opposite. Their wolf doesn't seek violence. Because of this, their presence drives a Dominant's instinct to protect the most. (Lesser dominants can do the same but not as effectively.) These wolves are rare, however, as being Changed requires the human to fight - and fight hard - for survival.

To be Changed, you have to survive a brutal, near-death attack from a werewolf. Civil laws among werewolves forbid anyone Changing a human without their consent (which involves a thorough explanation/understanding of what the Change includes/means). However, crazed or rouge attacks do occur.

Changing is very painful and takes a significant amount of time, approximately 15-20 minutes. However, the more dominant you are, the faster you can change (about 8-10 minutes for Alphas). Clothes do not change with you; they will rip to pieces. The more changes you go through in a day (from human to wolf and vice versa), the more time it will take and the more it will hurt. It requires energy and will tire you. After a change in either direction, your body is sensitive so touching someone is really not a fun idea. It'll take a few minutes for the lingering pain to vanish. Changes are at will until the full moon.

Females are rare as most don't survive the Change due to not being violent enough. When a female does survive, they are bottom of the pack, even if they are more dominant than most males.

Werewolves can go mad with old age. When they do, and are no longer safe, they are killed.

Vampires are in Seethes and are mostly found in North America or a little in Europe. Most fled to the Americas to escape persecution (like the other supernaturals). Each Seethe has a ruling Mistress or Master and have extended lifespans like Werewolves; death being the only end to their immortal lives. Like wolves, consuming their source of nutrition (blood in their case), helps to speed up healing and increase physical abilities. They do not need to breathe but can do so to blend in. They do not age at all, physically, from the moment they're bitten. (Whereas, wolves physically age very slowly.)

They do not require blood every day but, it's not advised to go long without eating. After a few weeks, their control is treacherous.

Vampires have the ability to use luring magic, something to keep their prey complacent.

Like werewolves, they are not allowed to change anyone without their consent. A Vampire cannot change a werewolf or fae, and vice versa.

Fae are the more diverse of the three groups. From fairies to sirens to gremlins, fae is an all encompassing term for anything that isn't a Vampire or a Werewolf. There is a hierarchy that travels down from the most powerful beings to the least. Everyone has their secrets but the Fae are the worst, and most notorious. "Never trust the Fae" is a phrase seldom ignored. All Fae can use a glamor to make themselves appear as human but none can refuse a clever riddle. When asking questions, one must be very specific or you'll find yourself duped with an answer you already knew.

The Fae never go back on their word. Severe punishment befalls those that do.

All creatures have long lives and, the older they are, the less likely they are to dwell on (or recount) the past.

Sheets

[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Name:[/B] First and Last (If Fae: [Original Name])
[B]Age:[/B] Less than 1500 years, older than 17 years.
[B]Gender:[/B]
[B]Species:[/B] Werewolf, Vampire, Fae - Type, Human
[B]Appearance:[/B] Detailed. Werewolf fur colors/markings are similar to dogs. Werewolf wolf eyes are most commonly amber/yellow with fewer being shades of blue. Vampire's have red-tinted eyes when not of a normal disposition.
[B]Personality:[/B]
[B]Association:[/B] Pack/Seethe name - Werewolf or Vampire only
[B]Rank:[/B] Werewolf only - Alpha, Second, Third, etc. Anything lower than Sixth does not need to be specified. Below Sixth will be Less Dominant or Submissive. Females are always bottom of pack unless mated, then they are the rank of their mate.
[B]Other:[/b]

Rules

1. Follow all DC Forum rules. Pretty obvious.
  2. At least five (5) sentences per character per post.
  3. Good grammar and spelling. If I can't understand your writing, we will have problems.
  4. Come to me with any questions/comments/concerns you may have.
  5. I don't know how many people will be here but you must respect everyone in this thread. If you cannot be civil, you will be removed.
  6. I am subject to add/remove info. I will update members whenever I do. It is your responsibility to make sure you read everything.
Edited by Narvix

((Are Harpies allowed, as Fae? Also, since Fae= anything that is not werewolf, human, or vampyre, do all varieties of fae share the promises-must-be-kept and not being able to refuse a riddle thing?))

Yes and yes. You are allowed to play a harpy and they would have to follow that law/compulsion. Little clarification: Fae can go back on their word if the temptation is great but there would be consequences.

(( Joining, then. One more worldbuilding clarification- does that mean that, if gentics have any factor in this, that all the Fae varieties are all descended from one species, or that the varieties have been put under the same curse/whatever?

Username: Serce2

Name: Cecilia Silva (Original Name: Celaeno)

Species: Fae- Harpy (peahen)

Appearance: She has light-brown skin (think Latino) with a delicate build. While her conjoined arm/wing muscles are developed due to necessity, the rest of her body is skinny but not muscular, as flight requires more endurance than stength. Her wings take the place of her arms, but have a transition point after the shoulders of skin-> feathers. Legs start to become scaly and begin to taper at the thigh. Feet are three-toed, slightly webbed, and clawed.

She has permanent eye-shadow over her beady black eyes. Pupil dilation can be controlled- if she's pinning, her irises are grey.

Her face has a haughty look, with slightly puffed out cheeks. Instead of the decorative head feathers that the bird peahen has, she has long, brown hair that tends to curl away from her face.

As she's a female peafowl, she doesn't have any tail feathers, or really any feather coloration other than black, brown, white, and some shiny green neck feathers.

As a harpy, she's mainly bare as she is covered by feathers belly-downward, on the wings, and on her collar. Her only piece of clothing is a white sash covering her chest. While using glamour, she appears to wear a t-shirt with a skirt.

Personality: Destructive nature. Greed tends to be the driving force for her actions, but is calm if necessities are bountiful. She gets along best with other peafowl harpies, and can be quite social during peacetime. Doesn't seek out a group, but may join or follow one if it's safer for her. Scared and startled easily, she takes flight rather than fight. Very observant and has an incredible short term memory. Does not get bored easily. Not very well educated (cannot write, cannot read, no knowledge of history/science or anything higher than basic math, but can speak multiple languages), and tends to speak in short sentences or convey just the most important information.

Association: N/A

Other: Anatomy things? She has to eat more and has a higher body temperature, but also has a fast metabolism and so can take a wide range of temperatures (despite this, she stays mainly in warmer areas as clothes are very bothersome). Her bones are hollow, and can squeeze into holes about 3/4's of her width. Weight would be within 40 pounds, give or take 10, in order to be able to fly (I do not know physics, please correct me if she needs to weigh less). She doesn't need to sleep, but generally does so to rest and repair.

She can mimic speech patterns and behavior well, but not voices.

She can see partially in the ultraviolet range (tetrachromacy), can hear better and see farther, but has a very weak sense of smell and taste, making her vulnerable to poison.

Also, she can't sing but has a very loud call. Despite being a peafowl harpy, she eats meat. Messily.))

Edited by serce2

((Ahhh I haven't done a roleplay here in ages. Sounds like an awesome idea, mind if I join?

Username: Shadowwolf6

Name: Saoirse Donohue (Original Name: Derdriu)

Species: Fae (Unseelie) - Dullahan

Appearance: Saoirse is a tall, thin woman who appears to be in her mid twenties. Her skin is pale, and her face is often lacking in expression. She has straight, light brown hair, which falls to her shoulder blades, and dark eyes that always look slightly clouded. She has a seamless, smooth scar that runs the length of her neck, about an inch down from her jaw. Most often she appears wrapped in a number of layers, often in black and white. She doesn't dress formal, and prefers heavier clothes to light ones. She speaks with a light Irish accent.

When not using a glamour, Saoirse will normally wear her full armour, with her whip by her side, and her head under one arm. The cut at her neck is clean, and stained a dark brown.

Personality: She is very quiet, and will mostly listen far more than she talks. Saoirse can be very distant at times, zoning out into a world of her own at the most inopportune moments. She can be quite blunt at times, and sometimes struggles at understand the complexities of human emotions. Saoirse is very forgetful about everything except names, as mentioned below.

Other: Info about Dullahans, I guess? She has a fear of anything gold, and skin contact will cause her skin to burn. She knows the full name of anybody just by looking at them once. Saoirse owns a black horse that doesn't really exist half the time. It will come when she wants it to. As fitting with the mythology, locks and gates open when she wants them to, but she often forgets she can do this. She owns a whip that is made of a human spine, but only takes it out when she has to use it.

))

Edited by Shadowwolf6

(Are dragons or phoenixes allowed? If not then I'll be happy to play a Werewolf)

Even though there's not much on the OP, I'm sure this will be fun with you in charge, Nar. I got a few things I'll be working on, but I'll be sure to throw in a werewolf sheet some point this week if you don't mind. I wasn't as attentive to a past few of your threads that I should have and, with more time on my hands, I'll be sure to remedy that.

Dragons and phoenixes, no. They are part of the world but they do not interact with humanity like other creatures do.

I'll be making my own sheets in a couple days, including a werewolf.

Serce, I don't know what happened to the tags in your sheet? They'll need to be added in. I don't mind your character being old because immortality is a thing but, younger than 3000 please. I'll edit that into the template.

I'll review sheets a bit more thoroughly tomorrow. Just addressing what I could pick out from skimming.

Thanks Doc ^^ Happy to see you here. It's really no big deal about other threads; I understand time being consumed.

Edit: Genetics do not connect Fae. They're just clumped together. Breeding with humans works just like different races/ethnicities. For example, child of pure fae becomes 50% fae. It is not guaranteed that children will inherit the magic. Some do, some don't.

Edited by Narvix

I think I might be overstepping my bounds, creating a character akin to the Grim Reaper. I also don't want to offend anyone of specific religious backgrounds, and if this character does in any way, please let me know and I'll think of something else instead.

Username: Coryn02

Name: Jocelyn Lemoine (Original Name: Joan of Arc)

Species: Fae - Ankou

Appearance: Jocelyn has a rather stocky build, being about 158 centimeters in height, with short-cropped dark hair and Caucasian skin tone. Jocelyn also has a red birthmark behind her left ear. She generally wears black clothing, currently preferring a black wide-brimmed hat and a similarly black long coat overtop her gray dress. Being very modest, not much of her skin shows.

Beneath her glamour, Jocelyn resembles a typical Ankou. She wears the defining cloak and hat, though both are tattered, and also bears a harvest scythe. While not easily visible beneath the hat, Jocelyn's flesh, like that of a corpse, is dessicated and discolored beyond recognition. Her hair, teeth, eyes, and nose are all absent. Instead, her eyes have a white light at the back of them. Due to this rather frightening guise, Jocelyn generally chooses to look how she appeared before her execution in life.

Personality: In life, Jocelyn was a very determined individual, unafraid of speaking the truth in the presence of those much more powerful than her even with her own life at risk. She only wished to help others, and truly believed that her visions were the result of God. Later, learning that she instead had magical inspiration to drive her thoughts left her quite disillusioned (the result of part-Fae parentage).

After death, she was offered a deal by the Fae: in helping others reach the afterlife, she herself would endure. Jocelyn immediately took the deal, believing that she should always dedicate herself to helping others. Hundreds of years of this rendered her further disconnected from the world she lives in. Most matters of the world are quite trivial to her, but she still respects powerful entities (such as the Gray Lords who hold sway over her ability to ferry the dead).

Other: Jocelyn took her current name to blend in more easily among human beings; she is currently being limited by the Gray Lords, who forbid her from her supernatural activities, lest she be discovered and used. She's not overly fond of this limitation, but sees the point in remaining concealed.

Edited by Coryn02

Lovely to be with ya, Nar!

Oh quick question: I wasn't really able to tell from the OP but are the "wolf forms" the standard human-wolf hybrid or are we going with the more modern invention of just obscenely large wolves?

Obscenely large wolves but their sizes can vary. Some are smaller, some are larger, thinner, or broader. The average wolf is somewhere around 2 1/2 feet tall and 5-6 feet long. Werewolves, in this thread, won't be any bigger than about 4 feet tall (at the head). Smallest shouldn't be shorter than 2 feet tall.

Thanks, friend! After about three hours of procrastination, I managed to pump this out. You need any edits done, just say the word.

Username: Doctortear

Name: Soleil Roy

Species: Werewolf

Appearance: Human: Soleil is a relatively tall individual, standing at 6’1” (around 186cm). Their skin is obscenely pale to the point of them easily being mistaken as a store mannequin from a distance. They are considerably chubby with somewhat flabby, if not long, limbs, thick ankles, and a round face. Their big size is not only from fat. Their profound muscles can clearly be seen across their entire body. Their puffy cheeks are tinged a bright red and they have a small button nose, thick lips, and low cheekbones. Soleil has deep brown eyes with thick arching eyebrows. Their strawberry blonde, matted hair is dearly in need of a brush. Their ruffled hair is exceedingly long with an excessive amount of volume, reaching all the way down to their lower back in a big poofy mess. Soleil’s attire consists mostly of whatever they have laying around. Everything from baggy pants, dirty tank tops, wrinkled t-shirts, flip-flops, fuzzy pink bunny slippers, and converse are part of their normal attire.

Wolf: As a wolf, Soleil, like as a human, is rather large. They stand about 3’8 (around 116cm) from the head but the sheer volume of their poofy fur makes them seem much larger than they actually are. Their fur is just as ridiculously orange as their hair and is just as messy. Their brown eyes are change into a dark amber that retains the same tired look they have when Soleil is a human. They have pinks pads and an excessive amount of fur sticking out from their fluffy tail. Although they may be intimidating at first glance, everything from the way Soleil drags their paws across the ground to they way to their gentle demeanor makes them appear to be more like a domesticated dog than a ferocious wolf.

Personality: As a generally apathetic individual, Soleil spends most of their time minding their own business and not caring what other people think of them. Though they try to be amiable to both strangers and loved ones, they generally treat just about everyone with the same level of indifference unless they are given a reason to care about said individual. They’re oddly complacent to the demands of others and will normally follow other’s lead unless they find a reason to object. They have incredibly strong opinions and are by no means obligated to keep silent if they believe someone is talking through their rear. Generally, Soleil feels an overwhelming wave of exhaustion and sleeps for most of the day, but they are prone to bursts of energy that cause them to nearly bounce off the walls before they collapse onto the ground. Their apathetic demeanor appears to disappear when they are captivated by something, instead being replaced by a wave of curiosity that propels them thoroughly educate themselves on the subject and enjoy every ounce of information they can gather upon it.

Soleil is analytic when they put effort into looking into something and they will thoroughly study a situation until they are satisfied that they know everything they can about the matter. Unsurprisingly, they are incredibly pessimistic and aren’t afraid to voice their woeful thoughts. Despite this, they adore people who are genuinely optimistic about the world. They happen to like the innocence and exaggerated wonder that captivates most children as well as seeing other people having a good time and just generally enjoying themselves. Soleil is highly sarcastic and a compulsive liar who loves to see people’s reactions when they spin a fantastic tale. Although they don’t normally get close to others, Soleil loves physical contact and is prone to using cuddling, hand holding, the occasional belly rub as a wolf, or other forms of physical contact as a way to recharge after an emotionally, and physically, draining day (which is nearly every day for them).

Association: Draugluin Pack

Other: As a more submissive werewolf, Soleil spends most of their time catching prey or sleeping while the rest of the wolves duke it out with one another. They have absolutely no interest in rising in the ranks (especially since it’s hard to make eye contact with another wolf to initiate a challenge when your eyes are closed most of the time) and are quite content with their current ranking. They absolutely adore green tea with a spoonful of honey and aren’t shy to admit they like to be pet as a wolf, especially if said petting includes a belly rub.

Edited by Doctortear

Okay you're probably dreading seeing a post by me in your thread, but you mentioned consequences Fae get if they go back on their word. Is that some sort of magical hex or whatever that is automatically inflicted on them if they do, or is it issued by the higher-ups as punishment for breaking a law of some sort? And to what degree does it apply? Do they get punished for something as simple as telling their friend they'll put the milk back in the fridge and not doing it or does it have to be some kind of magical pact?

Also, I know that it's your RP, but I sort of feel like the race categories should be changed a little. Having one for each of the two largest races and a catch-all term for literally everything else feels a little bit off, since several types of mythical creatures more resemble werewolves or vampires than classic fairies.

Well I've mulled over this for awhile and I want to give role playing a try! I have never role played before and any criticism or pointers would be accepted with great appreciation! Don't be afraid t push me in the right direction... Or shove xd.png Reading everyone's character sheets kinda intimidated me a little...

Username: cfipooh

Name: Kane Renner (Doroki)

Species: Fae - Kitsune

Appearance: Kane's fox form is a pretty normal looking fox, omitting the fact that he is mud brown. His eyes are amber coloured as a normal fox would be. He only has one tail at the moment, because he is an inexperienced kitsune.

Now his human form is a muddy brown coloured haired (shorter hair styled up) man with lighter brown (amber) eyes. His eyes are on the smaller, half lidded side. His teeth are all normally straight, until his fox like features come out, (Like his tail and ears), after his fox features appear he will also get sharper canine teeth. He has pale reddish skin,(looks a lot like a whole body blush). He is pretty slender, tall (Around 5-10), and fox faced "kinda a small triangular shaped face". He mostly wears loose clothing and a hooded sweatshirt to hide his tail and ears if he gets too excited and he accidentally makes them appear to other people.

Personality: He is very mischievous and a little bit of a thief due to his fox like nature. He will often pull pranks and trip people up... If he isn't tripping himself up or fixing a mistake he made (possibly making more). Kane often gets in quite a bit of trouble and is pretty clueless about a lot of things. Survival an fun are the only things that you will catch Kane worrying about.

Other: I made Kane 100, because in most Japanese folklore, kitsunes can take human form once they reach the age of 100! And just a fun little thing I did with his name, it is a combination of the words "Doro" and "Kitsune". Which mean mud and fox respectively. Kitsunes are generally terrified of dogs, so I want to make Kane deathly afraid of Werewolves. Like if he would see one in its wolf form, he would immediately turn into his fox form and run away. Most likely with guttural fox noises xd.png

Please tell me if I need to change anything and I will get to it immediately. I aim to please wink.gif

((Quick question to be deleted later, but how advanced are humans at this rp?

And, can female werewolves still have the characteristics of dominants/submissives despite not having a pack rank? By this I mean that if there was a female submissive, would she still incite the "protect" instinct in dominants, and would a dominant female get the "protect" instinct?))

Edited by serce2

I'll read through sheets in a few minutes.

Serce: Sort of. A female surrounded by Dominants would actually cause more tension if she isn't mated. Territorial aggression most often, stemming from competition of "who gets the girl". However, her instincts would generally be the same; need to protect those less dominant.

Females do have pack ranks - they're just at the bottom with Submissives unless mated.

It's modern era, so think of our current advancements.

Hello Narvix.

long time no see.

Are magic users ok?

maybe like a certain Russian crime scene cleaning witch?

I feel like you've read the Mercy Thompson series *suspiciously narrowed eyes*

I wasn't going to allow for witches.

I'm actually not going to get this anywhere. At least not presently. This was an impulsive idea and I never thought it out. I planned on reworking the werewolves entirely but I'm just not feeling this thread at all.

I do apologize for the bother.

Narvix, I know that you might return to this RP idea, but could I ask your permission for me or someone else to remake this RP and expand upon it?