Vrack

ANSWERED:Image Uploader

I have been using Post Image to store my images when I need to upload them. I recently noticed that they have a plugin for adding their functionality to forums (here). My request is for this plugin to be added to the forum post editor.

As far as I can see it doesn't require you to host the images yourself, they're hosted by Post Image. It's simply a way to upload images that doesn't require you to go to a separate site. This would be very beneficial to people who are new to DragCave Forums.

Questions and Answers:

1. People have been using other sites for so long, why add this when they can keep doing that?

Yes, there are other image hosting sites like PhotoBucket and Imgur that offer much more functionality than this plugin would. The people who use those sites are free to keep using them as they're most likely more used to them. This request is just to make it easier for people who aren't as invested in uploading images and don't want to make an account on one of those sites. Also, just because people are used to doing one thing doesn't mean you should let them do something else that might be easier.

2. There's already a way to upload images...

This refers to the option to attach a file to your post. While that's an option it has a cap of 5 kilobytes which limits the size image you're able to attach. Also, it only attaches the file to the bottom of the post. It doesn't allow the user to insert the image into the post.

3. Why should we use Post Image when there's a much better plugin by these people?

I only used Post Image as an example because I know they have a plugin. If there's a better plugin somewhere else on the internet that has more options or is more trustworthy then please post a reply and tell me about it.

Support smile.gif I use Imgur, but direct uploads will be quicker and easier.

One thing- The explanation says a thumbnail will be uploaded. Does this mean we only get to see smaller versions of the uploaded images in our posts?

Edited by SkyWolf25

FYI, you don't need an account to upload stuff to imgur, though it allows you to keep all your images in one place where they're easily accessible no matter what computer you're using. It's also more versatile to have all your images in one place that generates tags for you no matter where you go on the Internet.

That said however, I can also see the benefit of adding such a plugin for those who don't need/want to use imgur and the like.

So I am neutral on this idea, though I do question the reliability of a plugin that uploads images to its own server. What if the server goes down? What if the people running it decide to stop offering the service?

Edited by Lythiaren

I agree with Lythiaren; while the convenience would be nice, should the server of whatever plugin is installed encounter problems (shortage of space, goes down for maintenance, is hacked, etc...) something that was once a convenience would become a big inconvenience, and people (most likely newbies, as you said they would be the ones more likely to use this) who don't recognize that the plugin isn't maintained by TJ would complain to him and ask for it to be fixed even though he can't do anything about it; this would muddle up his schedule and dilute his list of due bug fixes with stuff he isn't allowed to modify (and even if he did modify the plugin, it wouldn't fix anything if the server is the one having problems). On the more hopeful side, say no one complains about the image server being down so TJ doesn't have a mess of topics/PMs to clean up, that doesn't change the fact that tons and tons of images that use that plugin as a portal would suddenly disappear, because the server is no longer available. Though, granted, this is true for almost any hosting service, so that may be a null point... But I'm still a little worried about it because people naturally switch to more convenient equivalents of the things they're using, which means the ratio of third-party-hosted images to plugin-portal-to-third-party-server images may be more drastic, and thus cause more problems should the plugin's server ever go down.

So this would be a nice feature to have, but I'm on the fence about it; it seems like it would cause a lot of underlying problems for TJ and the staff, which is more trouble and inconvenience than it's worth. I'd rather that people just keep using either the Attachment function or third-party image hosting sites (some exceptions include Imageshack for long-term images, like those used for completed DR sprites).

Edited by skwerl56767

does the forum software we currently have even allow your suggested plug-in?

We already have the ability to add images. Just not directly, I usually use tinypic which does not require an account to use.

I use Deviantart's sta.sh because I don't need to make any new account while being able to have full access and management to my uploads which also doesn't allow others to browse my other sta.sh uploads.

However this method is faulty...

I often see the image in the post changes into 'user posted image' text which makes the image inaccessible:/ that why I always put an additional link next to the image, which requires more work from me everytime I create a post with an image and its updates.

The other faulty thing is that sta.sh has limited capacity and I need to clean it from time to time which means my images may get deleted if I forget that this particular sta.sh file is linked in some thread where it's still needed (especially if the thread collects the entire sprite change progress - it sometimes can be useful to go back in stages to fix some issues before working on e.g. the shading once again)

What would be the very best would be if DC forum had its own integrated image uploader with that plugin thing to include the image in the post easly. but anyway...

Edited by VixenDra

I don't trust the Wiki images, since they're always changing. I actually despise them. We should just host them on a different site, one that isn't going to change the links on us!

Anything that gets us away from the Wiki links is going to get me excited.

However, I don't really see the necessity of a plug-in. It's easier to use a different site such as Imgur in my opinion. It's not hard to upload things, copy the link, and use it in the forums. I have a Chrome extension that uploads images by right-clicking and it automatically copies the link, without me doing anything extra. I know Firefox has a similar extension.

FYI, you don't need an account to upload stuff to imgur, though it allows you to keep all your images in one place where they're easily accessible no matter what computer you're using. It's also more versatile to have all your images in one place that generates tags for you no matter where you go on the Internet.

That said however, I can also see the benefit of adding such a plugin for those who don't need/want to use imgur and the like.

So I am neutral on this idea, though I do question the reliability of a plugin that uploads images to its own server. What if the server goes down? What if the people running it decide to stop offering the service?

I'm totally with Lyth (and as an aside, THANK YOU FOR THE FRILLIES !)

imgur works great; why load down the site with an add-in for something that is so easy. That said - don't care much either way.The only possible REALLY bad thing would be that so many people would then load so many more pix, when they can avoid the EFFORT of that small extra step, and image heavy forum pages are a pain to read and also waste bandwidth.

The wiki links are almost always OK in my experience - the only possible issue is the adults. And the BIG one with that is that any image taken form your scroll with the tag "dragcave. net" (space added or it will auto delete !) is blocked because of the eggspam rule.

which is a shame, as this would otherwise work fine and is NOT a link to the dragon on my scroll- the images used on scroll are generic.

http:// dragcave. net/images/ZwN2.png (I had to add spaces or....)

Edited by fuzzbucket

The wiki links are almost always OK in my experience - the only possible issue is the adults. And the BIG one with that is that any image taken form your scroll with the tag "dragcave. net" (space added or it will auto delete !) is blocked because of the eggspam rule.

which is a shame, as this would otherwise work fine and is NOT a link to the dragon on my scroll- the images used on scroll are generic.

http:// dragcave. net/images/ZwN2.png (I had to add spaces or....)

Nah, those are blocked because they rotate. TJ's said he deliberately blocked those to avoid the headache of people complaining when the rotation happens and they lose their images.

As far as the original suggestion, no support. I can't see TJ agreeing to modify the forum software when he's shot down a million other forum suggestions, and I don't think this is needed anyway. Just make an Imgur account with a throwaway email or something. Or use Tinypic, no registration required (although their ads have gotten worse lately imo).

I think this idea is a good one. True, most of us have their own accounts who knows where - but it would be handy for us as users (no more going to an external site, upload image, get link, copy and paste link to DCF), it would also avoid trouble with deleted images (imageshack...), conversion into other file formats or other stuff that doesn't seem to work right on some sites.

So, tentative support.

Just make an Imgur account with a throwaway email or something.

Try 10minutemail for that smile.gif

I'm indifferent to this suggestion. I wouldn't use it, but it won't hurt me if it's implemented either.

Nah, those are blocked because they rotate. TJ's said he deliberately blocked those to avoid the headache of people complaining when the rotation happens and they lose their images.

As far as the original suggestion, no support. I can't see TJ agreeing to modify the forum software when he's shot down a million other forum suggestions, and I don't think this is needed anyway. Just make an Imgur account with a throwaway email or something. Or use Tinypic, no registration required (although their ads have gotten worse lately imo).

imgur doesn't require an account either and is even easier than tinypic.

And thanks; didn't know that about the rotation !

does the forum software we currently have even allow your suggested plug-in?

I believe the plugin that I found would work with this forum software. The screenshot that they showed was very similar to what the post editor looks like on this forum.

From what I can see there are people who support this and don't support this.

To address the people who have concerns about using a plugin to a separate service I say that it doesn't necessarily need to be to a different service/server. It would be entirely possible for TJ to write his own plugin and host the images on his own server. (That being said, it's unknown if he'd really want to spend the time and money to do that.)

The way I see it, an uploader would have more benefits than downsides. Even though there are other, external options, a built in option would be very easy for people who like to streamline what they're doing to use. Just because something like Imgur works doesn't mean a built-in option wouldn't be even more useful.

TJ could theoretically write his own plugin and set up his own server, but that's would just give him another thing to maintain; and since the opportunity is there and he hasn't done anything with it, I'm guessing he doesn't want to go that route. The other route is that someone else hosts the server, but then if anything happens to that server it's out of his control.

If this were to be implemented I would prefer if TJ made his own plugin/server, so whenever there are problems with either he can actually fix those things instead of standing idly and watching error-report PMs flood his inbox because he can't modify the server or the plugin, because they're owned by someone else. Though of course, this is assuming that the attachment function isn't already this, but in a different form. I really don't know the specifics of that, I'm just speculating. Still though, it's a convenience that isn't really necessary since there are so many other options out there. Opening up a new tab to upload an image on another site won't kill anyone. tongue.gif

TJ could theoretically write his own plugin and set up his own server, but that's would just give him another thing to maintain; and since the opportunity is there and he hasn't done anything with it, I'm guessing he doesn't want to go that route. The other route is that someone else hosts the server, but then if anything happens to that server it's out of his control.

If this were to be implemented I would prefer if TJ made his own plugin/server, so whenever there are problems with either he can actually fix those things instead of standing idly and watching error-report PMs flood his inbox because he can't modify the server or the plugin, because they're owned by someone else. Though of course, this is assuming that the attachment function isn't already this, but in a different form. I really don't know the specifics of that, I'm just speculating. Still though, it's a convenience that isn't really necessary since there are so many other options out there. Opening up a new tab to upload an image on another site won't kill anyone. tongue.gif

This is a very good point. I feel like you're right in wanting TJ to make his own plugin rather than using a pre-made one. Like you said, if anything went wrong with an exterior service he wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

I think I'll PM TJ to ask if he'd be willing to make his own plugin and/or if he already has made one for the attachment option. It seems like the main question we need to ask with this suggestion is how much work would TJ be willing to do and would he be willing to maintain everything.

The usual spiel about not modifying the forum software applies here.

If, in the future, the forums are upgraded to software made this decade (which will hopefully happen) we can talk more about augmenting them with new features.