Cinnamin Draconna

Request for a Biome change

Horse dragons, are not your regular mustang. Comparisons go against the description.

Horse dragons have equine-shaped bodies and hooves instead of claws, which allow them to be fast runners. They specialize in running takeoffs, which are quicker than taking off from a stand-still. Horse dragons are able to stalk their prey from the ground then quickly execute an aerial attack for the kill.

Please attack the topic not the member.

I appreciate the sweet irony of all this, considering what happened in the past. But... I do not think there is any chance that history will repeat itself. Even if we keep using the word "cave-blockers", nothing blocks the cave, the 5 minutes shuffles take care of that. Frilled are extremely popular, have been demanded back for long time and people must have learned some lessons.

I agree that the Jungle is not the right place for the Horse Dragons, I just wonder why that did not come up until the Frilled were re-released. But, none of the other biomes is the right environment either, so I do not see any advantage on relocating the Horses.

What makes you think the descriptions were never brought up? There have been plenty of times where we've brought things up and TJ decided against them.

And to be quite honest I'm not entirely sure why you're bothering to tell me that history will not be repeating itself; I already said that in the post you'd quoted.

There is a certain frustration factor here, particularly if the person collecting really wants a particular dragon. Imagine stalking a biome for a long time, finally seeing the description of the egg you want, clicking and miraculously getting the egg, only to find out that you got its (from your point of view in this moment) evil twin.

I think that this is the user experience that we are trying to avoid. I honestly think that tweaked descriptions would be the best "status quo" answer to this. I can see "strange markings" for the skywings and frills, but the ochredrakes look more like "striped" eggs and the horses are more a "strange lengthwise stripe", at least to my admittedly not that artistic eye.

But this topic is about a Biome change. Introduction of a grasslands biome would give a logical place to put the horses. Looking at the descriptions of the biomes http://dragcave.net/help/intro#stealing , I suspect that the forest biome is currently supposed to include all temperate climes, and so most grasslands that we are talking about. However, that move doesn't really solve the problem we're trying to solve…

There is a certain frustration factor here, particularly if the person collecting really wants a particular dragon. Imagine stalking a biome for a long time, finally seeing the description of the egg you want, clicking and miraculously getting the egg, only to find out that you got its (from your point of view in this moment) evil twin.

Moonstones vs. Sunstones. that is all.

If you get the wrong one wait 5 hours and either toss it or trade for the right one. It's not the end of the world.

That being said, I do agree Horses don't really seem to fit in the Jungle and have no real objection to them being moved to a better fit. Whether that is Forest (still a problem with shared descriptions) or Desert (solves both issues) is fine with me.

Just remember either will confuse non-forum users who suddenly can't find a dragon where it has always been. Also, possibly ruin some lineages (I think coppers are the only ones effected by biome, but any bred to horses would still be non-continueable) and that will cause far more drama than shared descriptions seem too. (again I point to moon and suns)

Since this situation already exists with Sunstones and Moonstones, I don't really mind Horses and Frills sharing a description and a biome. However, I also wouldn't mind if there was a description or biome change, either.

^ This sums up my feelings entirely on the matter. However, since many users keep mentioning a grasslands thing.... The Alpine biome artwork actually shows grassland in it. Perhaps the Horses can be moved to the Alpine, as of the eggs that share its description, none are found there? Just an idea that occurred to me, I'm still on the fence overall smile.gif

Edited by bluesonic1

Considering that both Jungle and Forest biomes are supposed to include the grasslands of the respective climate (savannah and meadows, respectively), I don't see why the Horse dragons cannot stay in the "Jungle".

Another point to consider is that the biome marker will be changed, with whatever effect that will have on breeding (coppers, xenos...), probably screwing someone's lineage project for good.

No support, sorry.

Considering that both Jungle and Forest biomes are supposed to include the grasslands of the respective climate (savannah and meadows, respectively), I don't see why the Horse dragons cannot stay in the "Jungle".

Another point to consider is that the biome marker will be changed, with whatever effect that will have on breeding (coppers, xenos...), probably screwing someone's lineage project for good.

No support, sorry.

What she said.

But do we have to ask for EVERY challenge/unexpectedness in the game to be taken away to make it all risk free ? you get a horse - you don't want a horse - you want a whole 5 hours and abandon it. Simples.

I don't mind either way. I usually get CB horses when they are low time in the AP, so the description doesn't affect my hunting.

I really just want to avoid anything that would affect the return of the Frills. Four eggs with the EXACT SAME description need to be in separate biomes. It just makes more sense to move the Horse dragons rather than the Frills, based on their official descriptions.

I like Frills.. I never wanted them retired.. I'm collecting more now too. I just never want to see all the HATE that was being aimed at the Frills before their retirement ever again. Why not move ONE dragon to hopefully avoid a potential future problem.

I really just want to avoid anything that would affect the return of the Frills. Four eggs with the EXACT SAME description need to be in separate biomes. It just makes more sense to move the Horse dragons rather than the Frills, based on their official descriptions.

I like Frills.. I never wanted them retired.. I'm collecting more now too. I just never want to see all the HATE that was being aimed at the Frills before their retirement ever again. Why not move ONE dragon to hopefully avoid a potential future problem.

But I think we have learned from the Frill thing. And I really can't see why it's so HUGE an issue. (If it were, it would be the horses that would be unpopular, I think... smile.gif People are MAD for frills just now laugh.gif )

People don't have any issue with purple/red dorsals or purple/pink ridgewings. Considering the consequence (5 hours to abandon) is identical, I don't see a point in changing any biomes or descriptions?

One difference between purple/red dorsals and purple/tan ridgewings, and with moonstone/sunstones is that those were released that way, planned that was deliberately. So people had the thinking from the getgo that they'd get the luck of the draw on those. That is not the case for Frills/Horses.

I know some of the original thinking for why there were identical egg descriptions chosen for dragons after skywings was the whole "It's a secret/surprise what you get. Let's introduce more randomness or more confusion for the players" - which is no longer the case. There was a concept (that nearly got released) that had an identical egg description to the purples for that exact reason. The identical descriptions was not the reason the dragon never got released.

So the thinking has changed some over the years from "let's make 'em work for it" more to "let's make things clear". I think that's a good thing. Moonstones and sunstones I think were still a bit part of the "work for it" mentality, though I wasn't in on the concept or discussion of the concept so I can't say for sure. I'm pretty sure the ridgewings and dorsals was more an alt kind of thing as it's just different, more rare, color morphs of the same breed.

So, in my opinion ridges and dorsals are a completely different case and the sunstones and moonstones may be a hold over from past thinking but at least were released together as a pair that had the same descriptions on purpose. Different cases = different solutions.

That said, I don't think it's critical that Frills and Horses get different biomes. It's not likely that either breed will experience the issues that led to the problems with the Frills originally. For clarity's sake and for convenience I'd prefer a biome change for Horses. I don't think a biome change would cause players a problem, as it's been done in the past with no issues.

I don't see a need for this. People are mentioning the sun/moonstones and other dragons with color variants, but pinks and flamingos share the same description and same biome (the coast) and people have been able to work around it.

Edit: Aside from the OP bringing it up. Regardless, like Fuzz noted, people have probably learned from what happened with the frills. And if they have time, they can open the egg's lineage view in a new tab to check before they pick the egg up.

Edited by Jazeki

Actually, Jazeki, while that may be true that people can work around it, it is exactly for that reason that I never ever hunt for pinks in the coast, even though I know they drop there. Even though I very much need about three more pairs of CB pinks for a project.

So, yes, it can be worked around, because pinks don't just drop in the coast and jungle. In the case of horses and frills, both breeds only drop in the jungle. There's no where else to hunt either breed, which means if you are frustrated by the possibility of getting the one you aren't hunting for you won't be hunting them at all.

--I like frills, quite a lot. Normally if a breed doesn't fit in The Fifth Element the chances of me collecting a bunch is very low, since that's the lineage I participate with mostly. In the case of frills (which unfortunately don't seem like they'll be added to that lineage) I really want to do a green copper/frill checker. I may compensate for the frustration of catching horses instead by also doing a frill/horse checker. Normally I don't collect horses since they aren't part of The Fifth Element. I've nothing against the sprites, I just don't collect them.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Hi, Fi! There are other options aside from biome hunting for the dragons if you (general use here as well) aren't up for checking the lineage or don't want to risk a 5 hour wait. Users can always search the AP, ask others to help them, or trade for the breeds they want. Again, I still don't see a need for this.

You know what? The truth is that TJ has added a lot of things we don't NEED and some things we haven't even wanted or asked for. So personally, I don't see NEED as a good reason NOT to change the biome for Horse dragons.

Why not ask for the change just because we WANT it? Because it makes sense? Because it would cause a little less frustration in a game that is filled with unnecessary frustration.

There is enough negativity around here already. Why not do something positive for a change. Maybe a couple of lineages might be affected.. can someone actually show me a horse/copper lineage that is so far along that it couldn't be restarted? Will breaking a couple of lineages break the game too? Lineages are my primary 'thing' on DC and I would gladly give up or start over any Horse lineage I had if necessary.

Changing the biome for one dragon is NOT going to break the game or make the world come to an end. Maybe we don't NEED it, but is there something wrong with WANTING it? I just don't understand why one change is causing such an arguement.

There's nothing wrong with wanting something, but the game isn't going to collapse because two breeds share a description and a biome.

I said I didn't see a need, not that I supported or did not support. I'm not sure how that comes across as negative. I listed off several other options that users who are really worried about mixing horses and frills can try out to avoid a mix up. Users are adaptable and frills have only been back for a few days. I understand the desire of wanting to preemptively avoid a problem which looks an awful lot like "If we don't fix this, another frill situation will occur." It's best to see how things work out before jumping to "This is an issue and a biome change is wanted/needed."

Frilled Dragons were discontinued before the advent of biomes. Since the biome is new to their re-released status, I'm quite certain that it is intentional they share theirs with Horses.

There's nothing wrong with wanting something, but the game isn't going to collapse because two breeds share a description and a biome.

It's really inconvenient to have to right click on a wild egg, select copy link location, change the 'get' part of the url to 'view', in order to find out which breed it is, then go back and have it hopefully still be there to steal if it was the right one.

I see no reason for dragons to share egg descriptions in the same biome.

It's really inconvenient to have to right click on a wild egg, select copy link location, change the 'get' part of the url to 'view', in order to find out which breed it is, then go back and have it hopefully still be there to steal if it was the right one.

Maybe you should take a look at this laugh.gif

Why not ask for the change just because we WANT it? Because it makes sense? Because it would cause a little less frustration in a game that is filled with unnecessary frustration.

Well, OK, given that - I'm not asking, because I actually DON'T want it xd.png

I don't think such a change would add to the joy of dragonry, and I do think it takes away yet one more interesting-ish challenge. I don't find it "frustrating" to find that I got the wrong egg - though like Fi, I don't hunt pinks in the jungle biggrin.gif I either just wait out the 5 hours or bite it and take a change on 24 !

As for negativity - I absolutely love many of the changes that we have got totally out of the blue. I don't feel negative at all. I just cannot muster up any interest in this one. And no, everything doesn't have to be easy peasy frustration free !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Quoting fuzzbucket (disclosure: about something else): "I am spectacularly indifferent to this".

Maybe you should take a look at this laugh.gif

That's not really helping the topic at hand though.. point is, this shouldn't be the way you have to tell one breed from another or else suffer losing a spot for 5 hours (unless you play the 0-5-24 hour roulette with vampire bites).

If someone wants x dragon, they shouldn't have an unfair obstacle for a certain few breeds.