blockEdragon

Make changes to the drake's flavor text

Since drakes are definitely different from regular dragons, I support their "flavor text" being changed from the standerd dragon text to something focused on their own breed. It's no big deal if the hatchling descriptions are changed though, since "dragon" is used more as an all-inclusive term. That being said, I don't think that other dragon types should have their flavor text changed—what it currently says is apparently applicable to all of the subgroups besides drakes.

Well it could be done, but i think drakes need it more then the others so i tried to avoid the others since the other two subgroups still are dragons, though i would vote yes on giving them their own flavor text if that where an option

Edited by blockEdragon

I rather like this suggestion as a way to further differentiate drakes from regular breeders. The different egg size clearly makes a division between the two groups but changing the adult description would help make it even more distinct. It would then be more unlikely that we'd have people asking why their glory drake can't breed with their gold dragon (or whatever) - they'd clearly have a different group since the adult description would be different.

I care less about the hatchling descriptions. I don't think that's a big deal either way. Hatchlings are not required to have "Aww, it's a cute baby dragon" as part of their description. That's usually left up to whoever comes up with the concept. So I don't feel any press to make people conform to one standard.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Even though this seems like an incredibly low-priority change, I would like it, despite having read the general descriptions so many times that I don't even remember what they are. Sure, it's a trivial change, but it can be a subtle hint that some dragons can only breed with others of its kind (with that logic, the descriptions should be tweaked for Two-Headeds and Pygmies, but that's not part of the suggestion). So, I support.

As for the whole drake mess, I think the wingless dragon = drake association started up with the rise of RPGs; a lot of RPGs assert that drakes are either wingless dragons, dumber dragons, or both. Though, depending on the canon a drake can be anything; I've seen definitions ranging from "young dragon", "specifically male [young] dragon", "wingless dragon", "dumber dragon", "non-firebreathing dragon", "subspecies of dragons", and even canons that say "completely different from dragons, to the point that confusing the two is offensive to dragons" (sometimes this is applied to wyverns as well). It's really all over the place. xd.png In terms of DC I refer to its traditional drakes as simply wingless-westerns, since drakes are already an established breed in the lore. Anyway though, I still think that distinguishing DC drakes with a few description tweaks would be more beneficial than not.

I thought of mentioning those two groups in the main post but I decided not to so we can keep on the subject of drakes, since they deserve it much more then the others because most people get the other two, smaller dragons and dragons with two heads, but a large amount don't understand what DC drakes are

I do think it would be interesting to see the other two get it but drakes "need" it the most

Edited by blockEdragon

This statement confuses me. I've posted about this in the past, but I've never been able to find a convincing source definitively showing the "drake" means "wingless dragon." I've found definitions claiming everything from "young dragon" to "male dragon" to things that aren't even dragon, but never have I found something showing some sort of majority (or even large) support for the word "drake" as "wingless dragon."

I just did a google search for drake (with some modifiers like "-rapper") and three of the top five image results had wings. Wikipedia merely seems to say "By different roots drake is also another word for dragon." In D&D, Drakes seem to be sentient wyverns (because their wyverns are apparently not sentient?).

I only have seen it twice or so, and it was a long time ago, also a poster/graphic describing some dragons species, in which featured the dragon (or western), oriental dragon, wyvern, marine dragon (leviathan), and drake (yeah, the one I mention), of course, this graphic only included the western and eastern as dragons, the other were another completely different thing. But, on my free time, I have drawn some "wingless-western" dragons (because they are easier than winged ones tongue.gif), and while drawing them some people approach me and ask me what I am drawing, I reply with either a dragon (they often ask for the wings... which I say it doesnt have), or a wingless dragon (very rarely, but happens). And I cant lie to you, that at least 5 or 7 (from 20-25) have told me: "oh, Its a drake then?". They surprised me, and 2 explained it to me seeing my confusion face, I just played dumb those times. They may not be the majority, but you can see some people have the "wingless-western" == drakes impregnated in their head, I dont know why.

Duh! While searching for another topic (that seems to have vanished, btw), I found this old thread on this very topic.

I like this suggestion. The differences between drakes and other dragons seem to be large enough to warrant a change in their flavor text.

Duh! While searching for another topic (that seems to have vanished, btw), I found this old thread on this very topic.

I also like the suggestion that you linked above. I'm not sure how necessary it'd be to change the flavor text for all of the different sub-species. However, I really like what's been written for pygmies and two-headed dragons. It'd be really cute if the flavor text of each sub-species matched the special characteristics of that sub-species.

This thread has almost died... but I'd like to bring it back!

Look:

How much of the two-paragraph dragon description applies to drakes? Can drakes potentially live dragon-length lives, and do they typically growl at threats?

Very little to none, actually. Their life spans are probably much shorter than a dragon's, and their intelligence is definitely closer to dog's; while fairly intelligent as animals go, pretty far from able to hold a conversation. For communicating with non-drake creatures, they would probably indeed use vague vocalizations like growling.

I feel like this information from TJ shows that this request has a real basis in the lore of the game and might actually stand to be implemented!

Edited by Vrack

From the Pygmy dragon description: "Pygmy dragons are the smallest breed of true dragons, being the size of a small cat."

From the Drake Creation guidelines: "Drakes:

Have four limbs/legs with bat-like wings.

Have antlers.

Are smaller than the average dragon. (previous guidelines closer to the maker's comments included "Are small, ranging in size between the size of a cat and as big as a husky." So basically, smaller than the "average" dragon, yet larger than pygmy dragons, the "smallest breed of true dragons.")

Have a similar intelligence level to dogs.

Only have an innate/natural level of magic.

Lack a thumb."

From the Wikia: (soooo many issues, here...)

"Drakes are a species unique to Dragon Cave. They are often referred to as DC-Drakes to avoid confusion with the term "drake", referring to other types of dragons from other media. Drakes cannot breed with dragons, but can interbreed with one another.

Drakes are not actually dragons, instead appearing to be some sort of distantly related cousin-species. They are similar looking, yet have their own separate characteristics that set them apart from dragons. Unlike their dragon cousins, they are not sapient or as smart. They have antlers, tend to be very calm (unless bred to be otherwise), do not talk, and are shown to be more tame and easily trained.

Drakes tend to be smaller than most dragons, and TJ has commented that he headcanons drakes to probably be about the size of a large dog. Due to being smaller, they are known for being more nimble than dragons are, with underdeveloped forelimbs if forelimbs are present. These smaller forelimbs are made up for with larger wings that grant enhanced mobility in flight. "

-- I just... have no idea where the things on the wikia came from. "Often referred to as DC-Drakes?" By whom? "Drakes are not actually dragons?" Where did that come from? They "tend to be very calm?" The Ochredrake, which was the first drake released on DC, has the following in its hatchling text and description:

"...it is very hyperactive and difficult to train."

and

"...[O]chredrakes are flamboyant and fun-loving..."

Even the "not as intelligent as normal dragons" implies that they ARE dragons, so where is the wiki article getting the idea that they are not actually dragons? And "underdeveloped forelimbs, if forelimbs are present?" They ALL have forelimbs, and several of them appear to walk on all fours, while they are also fond of picking cherries, etc... I would say those limbs are fully functional!

SO... I would not go by the wikia page. And I would say that drakes are dragons, so it's okay to use 'dragon' as the umbrella term. Meaning, I don't see any reason to change "baby dragon" to "baby drake," but I DO see a call for including a (sub?)species description that is different from the overall dragon description, since they have a specific set of characteristics that contrasts with the usual ones. And putting it there might help new users figure out that there are different types of dragons, that only mate with certain others. Remember, some people don't even use the forum, so all they learn comes through using the site, and trial and error. I'm all in favor of making gameplay clearer for people who have never caught a drake before!