TCA

Old Lineage View URL Modifier

i agree with the above statements. i mostly breed even gen lineages and the new trees really don't make them look as nice as they did in they're little boxes. some people might like the new trees for different reasons tho so i think it should just be an option in your account settings which view you want to use.

i have spent years breeding mostly even gens and checkers, and i dislike the look of the new lineage view. i have lineages which have cb dragons named in pairs, and they just look messy now. the spacing between cb dragons now varies depending on the names, and it looks uneven to me. it's harder to see which dragons are pairs. like this one http://dragcave.net/lineage/NJ1s0

it just isn't as aesthetically pleasing to me, which is a big part of why i breed my dragons and spend so much time here. i would totally support an option to switch back to the old version.

this affects all lineages, so it's not like a sprite update where you can stop collecting or breeding a dragon if you don't like the changes. it affects the whole purpose of playing, for some of us.

Overall, I have mixed opinions on both the new lineage view and being able to go back to the original lineage view.

To those saying having a legacy view would require twice as much upkeep: not true. Code is usually written modularly for just this purpose. Both views would use mostly the same code, not different copies of the same code, so both get updated at once. They would use different code only for... their differences (i.e. where lines go, whether words wrap or not).

However, please do get rid of bumpy stairs if we keep the new view. In a lineage such as this one posted earlier in the thread, there is a bump in the top stair (at Kirakotsu's Shimmering Vincent), which I think looks ridiculous. The outside corner of all the other silver shimmers in that stair are nearly perfectly in line with each other, but this line runs through the middle of that one shimmer's box. Bumpy stairs, which seem to be caused by word-wrapping, just do not look good.

However, please do get rid of bumpy stairs if we keep the new view.  In a lineage such as this one posted earlier in the thread, there is a bump in the top stair (at Kirakotsu's Shimmering Vincent), which I think looks ridiculous.  The outside corner of all the other silver shimmers in that stair are nearly perfectly in line with each other, but this line runs through the middle of that one shimmer's box.  Bumpy stairs, which seem to be caused by word-wrapping, just do not look good.

As you appear to have noticed, the image's position is controlled by how many lines the name is, with names with more lines pushing the image up. I suspect this is a necessary feature, as it makes more room for longer names. It also keeps the image and text as a whole mostly centered on the lineage pointer lines.

That specific part of that lineage has a bad combination of the image size changing there, the large image next to the bump having a 3 line name, and the small image next to the bump having a one line name. That's why the bump only happens there. I agree it looks a little funny, but it probably happens in very few lineages. It's probably really only a problem with prize lineages, as they're the ones that have a different owner for each generation. Any lineage built by one person can specifically name to avoid the bump if it bothers them.

The trouble is, it would probably look funny if all dragons were positioned as if they had three-line names, which is the obvious fix for the bump.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I like the new lineage view for some things, but also really dislike it on some lineages that were built with the old one in mind and took years or trading of very valuable things to create.

I'd like to suggest a URL modifier that allows us to view the old box-style lineages. Something like, the trees are default, if you go to dragcave.net/lineage/code you get trees. BUT, if you go dragcave.net/oldlineage/code, you see the same dragon's lineage in the old format.

I feel like this would have a similar function to the legacy custom sorting in that it's something a lot of people actively used in its existing form and is a pretty easy thing to have that would require minimal coding to implement, seeing as it already existed.

I support this!

Yeah, I still want this, I've had time to get used to the new view but still want to be able to view the old style.

I like this idea. Personally I don't really support it, since I don't have a use for it, but it seems like a good idea overall.

Apologies if someone already mentioned this, but just a thought: Maybe you could set whether to display the old lineage setup or the newer one everywhere on-site to you in your account settings. And, perhaps, a setting that makes everyone visiting your scroll, whatever they have on that setting (unless they set it to override) will see it as either the old version or the new version.

So I was looking at this and ... well, I was thinking the hidden manual modification to take you to the old style without updating ithe old style any more does sound pretty reasonable. I am on mobile, so I see plenty of lineages that go into the advertisements, and plenty of lineages where I cannot identify the location of certain dragons or how long the lineages are. I have also noticed on desktop the hard time finding lowergen dragons in mesy or huge lineages too. Just my two cents though...

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

I would really like an option to be able to have the old view or a boxed view. The general

shape and appearance of (most) lineages isn't the problem for me. It's the fact that my

dyslexia makes it very difficult for me to comprehend phrases or sometimes even words

that are in close proximity to each other without being a] in straight lines (as in books) or

b] visibly separated from the nearby phrases/words (as in the old grid style of the lineages).

So in my experience it's an accessibility issue.

One thing that does sadden me is that I used to be able to copy/paste lineages and they'd paste in a table. Now - they don't. What you actually get in Word is - not what I would see as a lineage at all ! You can see how it comes out by turning off page style. TOTALLY confusing.

Not a HUGE thing, but I would like to be able to copy and paste actual lineages still without having to go to AOND to do so.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I rather abhor the new look, so I would support this. I was hoping there would be an option to be able to switch between the new and old view, but there is not. I was extremely disappointed.

I don't particularly care about the new lineage look. It makes my EGs look strange - as if horizontally more spaced out, I don't know why. I really think it's easiest way out to give customization for ways to view lineages since lineages make a huge part of the game. It's always bothered how little customization options we have in the game. Just like site themes, why not give us couple of choices for lineage view as well? And since old lineage is a tried an tested popular format, it's a good place to begin.

Is there a post that tells us why this change was even made? Who decided the old lineage view was a problem? Who decided the bracket would be better? If there's some code or bandwidth issue with the boxed lineage view, maybe it would be easier for some people to accept the new view if they knew why it was implemented. I think a full 90% of griping on the forum happens because we're never told why changes are made in the first place.

Also, are people with disabilities considered when adding new ideas or making changes to this game? We already had one person mention dyslexia. Some people have low vision, too, so, for example, making the page smaller to see an entire line would not help someone with certain types of low vision.

That said, in checkers there's a large gap between the dragons starting at 5th gen that totally ruins the view for me. The gaps make what was a visually neat and clean checker fall apart. Higher gens become even more visually confusing with all the space between the many generations.

I would give anything to have more choices in the game mechanics, which includes having a choice between the old lineage view and the new one.

Is there a post that tells us why this change was even made? Who decided the old lineage view was a problem? Who decided the bracket would be better? If there's some code or bandwidth issue with the boxed lineage view, maybe it would be easier for some people to accept the new view if they knew why it was implemented. I think a full 90% of griping on the forum happens because we're never told why changes are made in the first place.

Also, are people with disabilities considered when adding new ideas or making changes to this game? We already had one person mention dyslexia. Some people have low vision, too, so, for example, making the page smaller to see an entire line would not help someone with certain types of low vision.

That said, in checkers there's a large gap between the dragons starting at 5th gen that totally ruins the view for me. The gaps make what was a visually neat and clean checker fall apart. Higher gens become even more visually confusing with all the space between the many generations.

I would give anything to have more choices in the game mechanics, which includes having a choice between the old lineage view and the new one.

(Bolding is mine for effect, text is all stardust13's.)

Don't forget abot low vision! I hwve to look directly at something to see it. So I do not like lineages at 7th gen or higher very much... it's so hard to find any dragon at that generation of lineage. It is very frustrating when disabilities are overlooked fir je.

Plus I think a reason would be good too. I'd be interested in why it was changed, at any rate.

(Bolding is mine for effect, text is all stardust13's.)

Don't forget abot low vision! I hwve to look directly at something to see it. So I do not like lineages at 7th gen or higher very much... it's so hard to find any dragon at that generation of lineage. It is very frustrating when disabilities are overlooked fir je.

Plus I think a reason would be good too. I'd be interested in why it was changed, at any rate.

This is a question of pure curiosity: was the old lineage view really better for these types of impairments?

I'm not visually disabled, but I just remember a whole lot of frustrating scrolling with the old view and only being able to get one dragon on the page at a time with longer lines. With the new view, I can actually see a lot more of the lineage at a time. For long lines, counting was definitely difficult on the old view and can still be difficult on the new view, but I think this may be a better compromise for that issue.

It was a bit easier to locate the general area. Also, notice I mentioned I have to look straight at something to see it. The branch bars are so pale snd skinny I can't tell where they are most of the time.... While that is a good compromise, it still has the issue of hard-to-see lines in the main view. The cells had bolder lines in the old view to be honest. Bolder is easier for me to see.

It was a bit easier to locate the general area. Also, notice I mentioned I have to look straight at something to see it. The branch bars are so pale snd skinny I can't tell where they are most of the time.... While that is a good compromise, it still has the issue of hard-to-see lines in the main view. The cells had bolder lines in the old view to be honest. Bolder is easier for me to see.

Making the lines a little darker/bolder in the new lineage view really shouldn't be that difficult. I would much prefer that than going back to the old view.

This is a question of pure curiosity: was the old lineage view really better for these types of impairments?

I'm not visually disabled, but I just remember a whole lot of frustrating scrolling with the old view and only being able to get one dragon on the page at a time with longer lines. With the new view, I can actually see a lot more of the lineage at a time. For long lines, counting was definitely difficult on the old view and can still be difficult on the new view, but I think this may be a better compromise for that issue.

Dyslexia isn't just about reading or merely transposing letters and numbers. It can affect spacial relations as well. The most common spacial issue is mixing up right and left.

I'm also baffled by what you say you're seeing in the new view. You see more of the lineage; I see less. I was able to count high generations by the long lines or boxes; now it's trickier for me without the visual markers, but easier for you. Maybe a ticker along the bottom will help. I'm just stating how I see the view, though, not trying to argue what you see. If the new view is better for you, I am genuinely happy for you, even as I'm sad for me.

Anyway, I feel like we're wandering away from the topic. Vision is such a wonderful, unique thing - we all see the world differently. Because of that fact, I'd like to see an option added for those of us who prefer the old view. It's been a couple months now and the way I am getting used to it is to not bother breeding up my lines or breeding as much, period.

This is a visual game, after all, and when the players' visuals are changed, it's a big deal to a large number of those players. I don't think The Powers That Be always remember that this game is played on visuals, and when our view is changed, it changes the game on a fundamental level. Please build in options in the future, or let us know why options aren't...an option. happy.gif Either would be very helpful.

Edited by stardust13

I still cannot find peace with the new lineage view - I really would prefer an option for the old view.

Yeah, it still bothers me on my completed lineages, even if I'm okay with it for general purposes when I'm just briefly checking lineages.

The new view looks totally fine to me? Patterns are still there, and awkward spacing caused by different generations having different name lengths scretching parts of the lineage is gone.

I guess I'm neutral, this wouldn't mess with my play style as long as the new view remained the default, but I don't see myself using it at all.

I can LIVE with the look, though don't like it as well as the old.

But what I hate is that if I highlight, copy and paste, it no longer drops into word as a lineage, but as a total mess. I have to use AOND to get a proper lineage image.

Maybe I am the only person mad enough to do this - but it is a neat way of adding one line to another for my records, for instance.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Lineages being my primary thing here on DC, this is an issue that affects me daily. PLEASE bring back the boxed lineage view. But please leave the lineage ruler at the top, THAT was a big improvement. But replacing the boxes with those spider thin brackets was awful.