TCA

Old Lineage View URL Modifier

I like the new lineage view for some things, but also really dislike it on some lineages that were built with the old one in mind and took years or trading of very valuable things to create.

I'd like to suggest a URL modifier that allows us to view the old box-style lineages. Something like, the trees are default, if you go to dragcave.net/lineage/code you get trees. BUT, if you go dragcave.net/oldlineage/code, you see the same dragon's lineage in the old format.

I feel like this would have a similar function to the legacy custom sorting in that it's something a lot of people actively used in its existing form and is a pretty easy thing to have that would require minimal coding to implement, seeing as it already existed.

Support. The trees do look nice with some things, others... not so much. Old view as an option would be nice.

Though I'm almost certain this suggestion will be shot down, as all "old" wants usually are.

No support, legacy views are counterproductive and add unnecessary complexity.

I actually like the new look of the lineages. I mean it's different sure, but in my opinion it's actually neater. Sometimes in the larger old lineages I had to hunt to figure out where the heck the mother and father of my egg were in the huge spaces of those boxes, but this one points you right to them. I have yet to see a lineage that looks worse off, though in my defense my computer monitor is set to zoom way out so perhaps it looks different if the lineage is larger on your screen.

No support, and I don't think it'll happen anyway. TJ has never let us toggle to the old look of anything before.

Edited by silver_chan

I kinda support this... The stair/spiral lineages look weird in the new tree look and it's more annoying to count which generation the dragons are.. ninja.gif

Support.

I find it hard to see what's going on in a lineage now (unless it's a low gen EG lineage).

The new view is something nice and I initially liked the idea because the news said "let's find out" - which sounded like an additional option.

But completely losing the table-like view is different. Makes it difficult to see which dragons are in the same generation, or to count generations. (Again, unless it happens to be a low EG lineage.)

(Alternatively, maybe very thin borders, or something like vertical "generation separators", could be added to the new view somehow?)

Edited by Confused Cat

While I like the new lineage view, I'm not against this suggestion. But I think it will end on the "avoid optional" bucket.

Support

Can't see where one gen ends and the other begins. I much prefer the box view over this tree thing. It may look nice, but it is not visibly useful.

Honestly, I'd support a switch back over this. The tree is a nice idea and I appreciate the attempt, but only short evengens seem to look right; stairs, messies, and long EGs seem to break the view, and it's hard to tell at a glance what a breeder was going for now.

given how much easier it is to see anything with a big lineage, I much prefer the new one. I've looked at a bunch of lineages and I'm not seeing the problems others are mentioning.

Eh, I'd rather just compress or slightly modify the new view to get something in the middle. Two different ways to view lineages sounds redundant and a little unnecessary IMO.

Eh, I'd rather just compress or slightly modify the new view to get something in the middle. Two different ways to view lineages sounds redundant and a little unnecessary IMO.

I think reducing some of the spacing between dragons would be a good middle ground. Also, perhaps we could add an optional view with an unboxed version of the sprites...

Also the sprites in lineages are really, really tiny on mobile, even for 2gs; I hope that gets fixed D:

Can't see where one gen ends and the other begins. I much prefer the box view over this tree thing. It may look nice, but it is not visibly useful.

I'd like to hear more about this viewpoint. One of the lineages I tested against is particularly messy, and I found that the with tree layout it's about the same to track across gens, since they're still lined up in the same horizontal positioning, but it's easier to follow parent-child relationships.

Do you have specific lineages that are harder to read, or does your statement apply to all of them?

In general, I'd love to see examples of lineages that people think are worse off (and ideally, some thoughts on why they feel worse).

Actually, it's not so much a matter of "hard to read" or not, it's a matter of aesthetics. With the new layout, stairsteps and spirals don't look nearly as nice as they used to. I don't even want to know what other "shaped" lineages, like Vs, arrowheads or even heart-shaped lineages look like now.

Of course, it's much easier now to find the parents of a dragon, especially in high-gen lines. And while functionality is a good thing, many people might feel screwed because their lines don't look as pretty as they used to.

Actually, it's not so much a matter of "hard to read" or not, it's a matter of aesthetics. With the new layout, stairsteps and spirals don't look nearly as nice as they used to. I don't even want to know what other "shaped" lineages, like Vs, arrowheads or even heart-shaped lineages look like now.

Of course, it's much easier now to find the parents of a dragon, especially in high-gen lines. And while functionality is a good thing, many people might feel screwed because their lines don't look as pretty as they used to.

That's super subjective, though. I think the spirals, arrowheads, and everything else I've seen so far look better.

The shorter spirals are not so good, true. The longer ones like this one I do like http://dragcave.net/lineage/y7olm Although i liked the originals too.

I actually like how my inbred wave turned out with those lines: https://dragcave.net/lineage/6XBgZ

A sample of a double arrow: https://dragcave.net/lineage/aqCYl

and I think this qualifies for a "heart:" https://dragcave.net/lineage/Q3UbR - this one looks actually better without the boxing.

What bothers be a little is how "lost" the small sprites look in generations 5 and beyond. In a sample with a dozen generations: https://dragcave.net/lineage/GaLAV where I specifically chose extremely short names for a dense lineage display, the spacing between the "columns" moves them quite far apart. This one I'd rather link to /boxlineage/ or something the like.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

http://dragcave.net/lineage/0aqkb

user posted image

A 9th gen lineage designed with dragon pair's names to complement each other. Personally, I much preferred the boxed view where the pairs were seen together. The impact of the names is mostly gone.

With a gen this high, both parents are out of view. I also have trouble identifying the CB pairs at one glance.

I would like an optional boxed view very much.

Edited by Rally Vincent

I'd like to hear more about this viewpoint. One of the lineages I tested against is particularly messy, and I found that the with tree layout it's about the same to track across gens, since they're still lined up in the same horizontal positioning, but it's easier to follow parent-child relationships.

Do you have specific lineages that are harder to read, or does your statement apply to all of them?

In general, I'd love to see examples of lineages that people think are worse off (and ideally, some thoughts on why they feel worse).

I can't get it to count which generation this one is (previously I was counting by looking at the vertical lines only, now I have no navigation point or how to call it)

my eyes go wild and I'm getting a headache,

I have poor sight, -8, but I still can see fairy normal and draw, but with such strong glasses the straight lines start to bend a little the farer from the center the image is, and lineages are large enough, I'm really getting lost in what's going on also a bit thanks to this.

and I can't imagine the suffering people with worse sight issues will have^^;

For me, what would work best would be some hybrid of the old and new: so the lineage is still a kind of table with all those vertical and horizontal lines that make nice frames, but adding the new branches connecting child-[parents - to combine what both had useful

edit: and I DO see them properly ^^; I have the form of 0-[8 (0is 1 dragon, 8 is two dragons - the parents)

Edited by VixenDra

I think that functionality is a great thing, so I highly prefer the new version.

Here's a screenshot of a stairstep. Besides the fact that the lines extend past the adbox in later gens, which may just be a browser issue, it's harder to read which female is with which gen with the current set-up.

e: and here's a spiral.

What browser are you using? Because that's not how it's meant to look, so I'm unsurprised that it'd be harder to parse in that state.

One thing I noticed (probably my main concern) is that lineages with short names have the dragons pretty widely spaced from each other now. Maybe dragons with names shorter than a certain length could have the empty space between the brackets reduced a bit?

Oh, and TJ, while you're here the lineage tiles all look really small on mobile now, even for 2gs. I'm using safari on an iPhone 6.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

No support, legacy views are counterproductive and add unnecessary complexity.

100% agreed. A uniform lineage view is what's best.

I personally love the new lineage and hope people give themselves time to get used to it.

Actually, it's not so much a matter of "hard to read" or not, it's a matter of aesthetics. With the new layout, stairsteps and spirals don't look nearly as nice as they used to.

I would think this should be a pretty easy fix if some spacing was altered or something.