TJ09

2016-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 10th Birthday!

Both new drakes are absolutely gorgeous ♥ Also love Candelabra wings and its smirky expression very much ♥♥ Hoarding time cool.gif

I really love the adults! But my personal favorites are the nexus, but I really love the others too, the spriters did an amazing job on them. smile.gif

The Morphodrake is my fave of the bunch. The others are cool, too, and the Nexus would be a perfect mate for a Gilded Bloodscale. They are both so malevolent. biggrin.gif

Oh, they are all so pretty, especially the Candelabra I think smile.gif And I love the creepy look of the Tarantula Hawk Drake. Thanks to all the spriters and TJ!

Candelaria descriptions and sprites have won me over. I'm so glad for each dragon here, nexus' have an adorable underbite and these drakes are wonderful additions to the drake species!

Adults are awesome! Morphodrakes and Candelabra are my favourites. Thank you, TJ and Sprites!

These are all so pretty and so varied. Truly a spectacular set of releases. Thank you, TJ, and a big thank you and congrats to all the spriters!

Candelabra is definitely my favourite of the bunch wub.gif Really love the Nexus design and concept too!

I really like the Candelabra dragons, especially given their breed description. wub.gif

But Morphodrakes are... stunning. *v* My fave of the release for sure, and in my top 5 all over DC as well. Just... wow. *drools* (now what on Earth Valkemare am I going to breed them to???)

Thanks as always, TJ and spriters, fur such a nice release and a really great event!

I just noticed the Candelabra's right wing patagium is connected incorrectly, curved as though it's at the shoulder and it's driving me crazy ><

Well, at least the rest is a joy to look at.

Oooh, these are all lovely! I love the variety of wing poses and textures particularly, mmm. Torn between Nexus and Candles as a favorite, the Nexus have so many awesome little details but I'm a sucker for reddish colored nice guy dragons with more breeding opportunities, haha.

The Morphodrake is my fave of the bunch. The others are cool, too, and the Nexus would be a perfect mate for a Gilded Bloodscale. They are both so malevolent. biggrin.gif

Bloodscales aren't all that scary; remember the cute one in our past two Christmas events? xd.png

I'd love the Nexus a lot more if they didn't have such big chins / underbites... Not a fan of that too much, plus we've gotten so many of those type dragons in a row (Aegis, Celestials, Nexus...)

They are still gorgeous, though, and I still like them a lot!

My favorite would have to be the Candle, just gotta stop staring at that wing xd.png

The drakes are really nice! They seem to break away from what the other drakes on the site look like (big, sturdy drakes, while these seem elegant and ornamental)

In love with that Tarantula Hawk Drake. I think the name is weirdly specific but the pose and colours and general appearance is so sleek and malevolent.

Bloodscales aren't all that scary; remember the cute one in our past two Christmas events? xd.png

My thoughts exactly - they are highly intelligent and eccentric according to their breed description not necessarily malevolent (which is why mine are all described after Muppets).

Also I can't decide if I love the Nexus or the Candles more - they are simply all very gorgeous <3

I'd love the Nexus a lot more if they didn't have such big chins / underbites... Not a fan of that too much, plus we've gotten so many of those type dragons in a row (Aegis, Celestials, Nexus...)

They are still gorgeous, though, and I still like them a lot!

My favorite would have to be the Candle, just gotta stop staring at that wing xd.png

The drakes are really nice! They seem to break away from what the other drakes on the site look like (big, sturdy drakes, while these seem elegant and ornamental)

Usually I'm with you, but I think they're really fitting on these guys--gives across that brute force, komodo dragon type look like a charm. They look perfectly monstrous biggrin.gif <3

In contrast the Celestials' strong chin game still scares me xd.png

My thoughts exactly - they are highly intelligent and eccentric according to their breed description not necessarily malevolent (which is why mine are all described after Muppets).

I think they probably meant Hooktalons, who are pretty bad-tempered and mean. smile.gif

I really like the Morphodrake, and the Candalabra once I figured out that the far wing was not actually a second head! laugh.gif

Hey, everyone! I hope you enjoy the Candelabras! Birthday candles on a birthday dragon ;D As promised, here’s some information about them, and how they came to be!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Background information

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite them being coincidentally candle-themed, they actually were not designed with the birthday in mind; rather, they were originally a Valentine’s concept that looked like this:

user posted image > user posted image > user posted image > user posted image

With a spriter’s alt that looked like this:

user posted image > user posted image > user posted image > user posted image

I’m sure the latter set looks a bit familiar, heheh. After they went unused, I decided the original coloration was pretty horrible, so I messed with the alt set to come up with the final sprites, and edited the concept a bit to work for a regular release! I think it all turned out for the better, truthfully, since these buggers were still able to find a place in the cave (and in a better form), and we get to enjoy the lovely (and snarly) Mutamores!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Concept information

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Candelabras are attuned to light mana, and though this, generate lights at the ends of their wing fingers (I know, huge shocker there). These lights don’t actually ever disappear until an individual dies, though they can be dimmed and brightened to suit the needs of each dragon. Though Candelabras are fairly strong, they are not particularly agile, and as such, rely on their wing lights to attract prey for easy kills. The light between their horns glows brighter than the other eight, and can actually be manipulated so that it moves within a small nearby radius, which furthers their ability to lure prey.

The orangey glow to their wings is also the result of light mana; actually a reddish color similar to their maroon scales, the wing membranes are coated in a thin film containing light mana which causes the wings to become a shiny, striking gold when hit with direct light. This effect is also apparent on the backs of their wings, but to a lesser degree.

As mentioned in their descriptions, Candelabras are fiercely devoted to those who have earned their trust, even giving their lives to save those close to them. It is for this reason hatchlings follow around their keepers; they view them as parental figures, and as such, want to remain close to them. By the time a captive-raised Candelabra reaches adulthood, it is almost certain to commit fully to protecting its keeper—unless betrayed, that is. Though generally good-natured, they do not take kindly to promises being broken, and will often respond to acts deemed betrayals with an outburst of rage, sometimes large enough to trigger a permanent shift in an individual’s personality. Speaking of these outbursts, don’t betray a Candelabra. Just don’t do it. You might end up nearly the same shade of red as they are, if you catch my drift.

Mating displays involve elaborate aerial maneuvers with intricate flickering of their wing lights—a sight that’s equal parts majestic and hilarious, since their wings are on the small side (they require a slight boost from magic to be able to fly well).

In terms of personality, they’re actually quite clumsy, and are sometimes considered to be a bit lunkish. Though not the brightest, they're quite loving and affectionate (unless you do a stupid and anger them), and make great companions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, that's all for now! I'll be sure to include a lot of this and fill in some other areas when I write up the encyclopedia entries. I’ll also do my best to answer questions here in the thread!

I hope you enjoy the Candelabras!

The only thing that could have made this event better would be Prize Dragons (which now I'm even more curious why there wasn't a raffle) or getting to find out the new mods

*looks at all the hatchlings on my scroll then at the pretty adults*

Why won't you guys grow up sooner??

Oh wow!

Thanks for the info on the Candles!

That makes me love em even more

Edited by Clya

Oops, forgot to influence my Nexuses x0 guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed, haha.

The Morphodrake is my current favourite! Really looking forward to the male, and the males for the other two that haven't grown up yet - I'm hoping for dimorphism. biggrin.gif

I wonder why TJ decided to display four Nexuses, though? Will they have BSA form changes, or anything of the sort? (Not asking anyone, just throwing this out here xd.png)

I must say, with all the updates, the re-releases, and a four-dragon release on top of them, I am quite frilled with this year's events; past birthdays hardly hold a candle smile.gif

Wow, awesome adults! I absolutely love them.

Morphodrakes are my favorite. Thanks again, TJ and spriters. tongue.gif