TJ09

2016-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 10th Birthday!

I picked an awesome day to come back to the cave after a few months break! Thank you for returning the Old Pinks and Frills to us. And new dragons too. Super huge THANK YOU! ^o^

You should see how many new Undead dragon sprites have been added. Even the hatchlings for each sub-type are unique smile.gif

I loved the Undeads before, they were always number 2 on my list just under the Neggies.... this update has certainly pushed them to the top spot!! Can't stop staring at them wub.gif Bumping from the previous pages though, was their breed description intentionally removed or is it just an error?

I guess I see it that we didn't get anything really that we haven't got before in a regular update outside of the re-release of frills and old pinks.

All the stuff that we got for the event were stuff that has already happened before during a site update or regular release re: sprite updates, image updates, minor site updates, etc.

I guess that's just what's underwhelming to me, that this release just doesn't feel like it has any "unmph" like past DC birthday updates have is all.

*shrugs*

If we can deal with Purple & Red Dorsals, Purple & Tan Ridgewings, there is no reason to make a fuss over Horses and Frilled.

Since you evidently weren't around at the time we lost the Frills or earlier when we lost the Pinks, when some of our wonderful spriters misunderstood the origin - impeded hunting - of much of the expressed frustration over adorable sprites many, including myself, loved, and when the situation devolved into forum flamewars and the spriter's feelings were understandably hurt, I expect it would be easy to miss the point contained further in the portion of the sentence you quoted:

... There will again, of course, be time-consuming annoyance caused to players over having the Horse and Frill together, with the same description fouling actual hunting, in the Jungle and I hope that no spriter will take the predictable responses to such a hunting-time-suspending annoyance personally. Such situations are inherently frustrating and will again spoil many people's daily playing periods, so a certain amount of steam being let off about it is only to be expected. We've been through this before, and do NOT want to lose the Frills or any other dragons over this again.

Syphoneira,

People already have to spend time figuring out the difference between pinks and flamingos and there are no noticeable rumblings like there were when the frills were first around. NotBambi may not have been here, but sharing a description shouldn't impede hunting that much. Drop the egg and hunt again in five hours or take a moment and check the lineage in another tab. If that doesn't work, try the AP or try trading. I'd like to think that DC has grown in the years that frills have been gone and won't pile hate onto a breed because it shares a description with another dragon...as many other breeds already do.

Edited by Jazeki

I can't bring myself to refresh my scroll page because I cannot stop staring at my beautiful Zombies. <3

I mentioned this. Frills bore the brunt of the complaints because 1) it was during and after the horse release, and 2) the other dragons with the same description were Dove dragons that people didn't mind keeping. The AP was constantly blocked with them, with not a single skywing or ochredrake egg in sight, and the supply of dragonhorse eggs didn't catch up with demand for some time as a result of the constant blocks.

So being the only one that people specifically did not want, and also as an effect of that myth that they were "good rare breeders" (eg. mass breeding frills to rares to take advantage of what people mistakenly believed was an increased chance of rare eggs, and occasionally to deliberately block the AP with eggs they knew no one would pick up to ensure that a trade could go through without being sniped), it all led to a glut of frill eggs that far exceeded demand, people complained that there were so many unwanted eggs, decided there had to be a specific reason no one wanted them aside from circumstance,  and the rest is history.

Sorry, Lyth, didn't see that or this before last response to another commenter - essentially just wanted to correct any potential misunderstanding that people didn't like the adorable Frills (or hot pink Bright Pinks) because a lot of us did, not that I covered the explanatory details they way you did. But would also like to add that the restrictions to 4 caught eggs and a bred at the time limited us a lot more back then as well.

I'd always had plans to hoard Frills and Pinks, among others, but it was always 'so many dragons and so little space' that 'the Commons can wait because they're easy to get', lol. And lineages weren't the thing they are now, with the spiffy lineage Viewer, so I'd never bothered about CBs... my, how DC has changed! smile.gif

But thanks so much for the new Frills! wub.gif

Edit: although actually, I think it was the NEWER dragons people were looking for, which they had fewer of. People have been metaphorically trampled in the rush for new/newer dragons people don't yet have (enough of) and lord help anyone or anything which stands in their way, lol.

And OMG, pre-Teleport trading... blink.gif I'll have nightmares tonight...

Edited by Syphoneira

So what are people's theories for names of the newly released dragons?

The few bright markings drake falls between moonstone and nebula

Crystalline egg is between neotropical and nocturne

The weblike pattern drake is between terrae and thunder

The mottled one I dont have yet, so am not sure

The few bright markings drake falls between moonstone and nebula

Crystalline egg is between neotropical and nocturne

The weblike pattern drake is between terrae and thunder

The mottled one I dont have yet, so am not sure

The mottled comes between Brutes and Canopies.

Syphoneira,

People already have to spend time figuring out the difference between pinks and flamingos and there are no noticeable rumblings like there were when the frills were first around. NotBambi may not have been here, but sharing a description shouldn't impede hunting that much. Drop the egg and hunt again in five hours or take a moment and check the lineage in another tab. If that doesn't work, try the AP or try trading.  I'd like to think that DC has grown in the years that frills have been gone and won't pile hate onto a breed because it shares a description with another dragon...as many other breeds already do.

Hi, Jazeki! smile.gif

this whole discussion began because somebody made a hilarious comment, but one which I was afraid might lead people to think that nobody at the time appreciated the dragons we lost due to various circumstances since covered on the thread - and I expressed my hope that any 'blowing off of steam' by anyone due to impeded hunting through shared descriptions would be understood as frustration with this and not as 'hate' for the sprite itself. And it's apparent that Lyth does understand this, thank goodness.

And I hope that you didn't take my mention of people who'd not been around to see what had previously occurred as some sort of shot at NotBambi, who really is a dear.

She and Sin are total sweeties with whom I sometimes chat via PM and they are very noble about sharing the fruit of their mad (belated Typo Queen edit: hunting) skillz with me and many others - that being the only reason I have Frills! (and many other hard-even-see dragons) on my scroll. And some time back, Bambi had sent me a note saying that she kinda missed disagreeing with me on the discussion threads, so this is merely revisiting the past, lol.

You are, of course, right and we certainly do not have the same issues now as we did then, but misunderstandings can occur, and I hope that this has cleared up any which may have potentially existed between us. smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

I'm still squealy-bouncy about all these improvements!! Man, I'm going to need to kill a lot of dragons for Halloween! I want the water zombie variant the most. So awesome!

I'm currently locked because I have a Royal Blue sitting there that was part of a trade and I love it to pieces so I'll just have to wait. But I got one of everything except the Frill, and I got two of the blue egg.

Can I admit that I didn't notice the changes to the sprites, other then the Gilded Bloodscale? Now, if Royal Blues ever got any sort of update I'd *hope* that I know them well enough to notice, but the others... I still can't tell the difference between the pillows.

Happy Belated Birthday Dragon Cave <3

Gah I wish I could incubate twice. I'm never usually egglocked and it's got me on edge. So many new dragons, so little space.

I LOVE the new zombie sprites, even though they'll be so hard to collect *o*

Hi, Jazeki! smile.gif

this whole discussion began because somebody made a hilarious comment, but one which I was afraid might lead people to think that nobody at the time appreciated the dragons we lost due to various circumstances since covered on the thread - and I expressed my hope that any 'blowing off of steam' by anyone due to impeded hunting through shared descriptions would be understood as frustration with this and not as 'hate' for the sprite itself. And it's apparent that Lyth does understand this, thank goodness.

And I hope that you didn't take my mention of people who'd not been around to see what had previously occurred as some sort of shot at NotBambi, who really is a dear.

She and Sin are total sweeties with whom I sometimes chat via PM and they are very noble about sharing the fruit of their mad hinting skillz with me and many others - that being the only reason I have Frills! (and many other hard-even-see dragons) on my scroll. And some time back, Bambi had sent me a note saying that she kinda missed disagreeing with me on the discussion threads, so this is merely revisiting the past, lol.

You are, of course, right and we certainly do not have the same issues now as we did then, but misunderstandings can occur, and I hope that this has cleared up any which may have potentially existed between us. smile.gif

Hi, Syph!

No misunderstandings. Just reiterating things that I mentioned a few pages back when people were already commenting that they hoped the descriptions for the frills would change because they shared the same with horses. That user was new as well. :3 People seem to overlook/forget that we already do have many dragons that share descriptions and the frills are nothing new. biggrin.gif

the very first rare two-headed was the green two-headed lindwurm variant, they were insanely hard to get after their release for a solid few months if not slightly longer. In my experience all of the sub-types that can't breed with the majority of dragons don't stay rare long even if they do get rare for brief periods of time. The rarest they get and stay as is uncommon, and that ain't so bad.

Actually Splits beat them to that title. CB's used to be very hard to find. Bred ones were everywhere but before we got other varieties everyone wanted CB's to do their own lines.

Something nice about the new lineage is that long named dragons no longer stretch out the boxes at make it look weird.

After six years of wishing I'd sigend up sooner to get a Frill, I finally got one. wub.gif I liked the old sprites but I absolutely love their new sprites.

Someone mentioned an "infect" BSA for the Zombies, I'd love that SO MUCH! Five attempts to get an adult Zombie per year is not enough, especially with that fail rate. PLEASE TJ, PLEEEEASE? biggrin.gif

After six years of wishing I'd sigend up sooner to get a Frill, I finally got one. wub.gif I liked the old sprites but I absolutely love their new sprites.

Someone mentioned an "infect" BSA for the Zombies, I'd love that SO MUCH! Five attempts to get an adult Zombie per year is not enough, especially with that fail rate. PLEASE TJ, PLEEEEASE? biggrin.gif

10, kill 5 two weeks in advance. then kill 5 more on Halloween. but yes, still a low number. Infect could be fun.

Something nice about the new lineage is that long named dragons no longer stretch out the boxes at make it look weird.

Indeed! That really used to spoil the look of lineages and this change is really appreciated!

10, kill 5 two weeks in advance.  then kill 5 more on Halloween.  but yes, still a low number.  Infect could be fun.

Don't forget you can time out hatchies without using the kill command, so you can attempt as many hatchies as you want.

----

Love the lineage change the most! I bounced in and picked up four of the web drakes and three of the blue drakes. Definitely going to get some bright pinks.

I can see why the Blackout theme was disabled/no longer supported, but I'm going to keep using it, I really prefer it to any sort of art on the page, lets me focus on the egg text.

Edited by Arra

You're gone for a handful of days and you come back to this...

Best surprise ever! Thank you DC! I'm completely ecstatic to get some frills and bright pinks!

I would love an Infect BSA. It works beautifully with the concept of the dragon and it's no different from the way vampires work to be honest. It would be so cool to make an undead army <3

Please use the edit button rather than double posting unless you're doing a lot of coding.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Don't forget you can time out hatchies without using the kill command, so you can attempt as many hatchies as you want.

----

Love the lineage change the most! I bounced in and picked up four of the web drakes and three of the blue drakes. Definitely going to get some bright pinks.

I can see why the Blackout theme was disabled/no longer supported, but I'm going to keep using it, I really prefer it to any sort of art on the page, lets me focus on the egg text.

I know, but that doesn't help with adults, which is what Dustpuppy was talking about.

I have NEVER minding being locked so much. hatch already! I want more eggs!

Wooooo, they has returned. THANK YOU for the chance to snag frills and brights, the new dragons are pretty and I can't wait to see what they look up.

Just saw the Zombie sprites on the wiki. Boy will I have a lot of catching up to do come Halloween.