SullenCat

How do we prepare for new releases?

As suggested by SockPuppet Strangler, I'm creating a topic to discuss how we prepare for new releases.

Case in point today... the 10th Birthday of Dragon Cave is approaching. Quoting myself:

Just in case, I'm ensuring that I'll have all egg slots available tomorrow by midnight. That would be 00:00 AM on Saturday, 21st, cave time. And just to be paranoid, I'll be awake tonight at midnight.

Frankly, considering that TJ knows that many of us will need to show up at work on weekdays, I'm betting that the madness will start on Saturday.

What are you thinking of doing?

I thiiiiiink midnight cavetime is like 6 AM here, so I probably won't be awake. xd.png I'm really bad at calculating timezones, though. dry.gif

Other than that, I'm not completely locking myself for the next few days (after this lock, promise! xd.png) and I'm just gonna hang around and see what will happen. laugh.gif

Well , I likely will be mostly unlocked (I'll have 3 free egg slots at least) so that I can grab as many as possible. I am literally getting a silver trophy tomorrow, so that should be helpful! I was completely unaware of the release coming up! Being quite new to Dragon cave I appreciate it biggrin.gif

I am going to be unlocked tomorrow morning sometime because I'm hoping that the event will start at midnight cave time on the 21st. I also won't be breeding to the Departures thread like I usually do on the weekends because the eggs will probably not get taken if the birthday event is happening then. smile.gif

DC birthday is different (and so are holidays) because we kind of know when it will be, but when it comes to regular new releases, I don't always leave my scroll entirely empty. I just make sure whatever I have isn't precious enough not to jettison if necessary smile.gif

Well , I likely will be mostly unlocked (I'll have 3 free egg slots at least) so that I can grab as many as possible. I am literally getting a silver trophy tomorrow, so that should be helpful! I was completely unaware of the release coming up! Being quite new to Dragon cave I appreciate it biggrin.gif

Oh noes... I've no idea if we will have new releases, I just hope for them. I'm just taking in consideration the 7th birthday, 2013, 7 breeds in 7 days. And my own wishes.

Normally for the birthday I make sure I have completely open slots since I'm always hoping for a release with it. This time I'll have one egg for part of the first day, assuming it starts at midnight on the 21st, as it has in the past.

Normally for the birthday I make sure I have completely open slots since I'm always hoping for a release with it. This time I'll have one egg for part of the first day, assuming it starts at midnight on the 21st, as it has in the past.

^^ This. And I avoided breeding for the AP.

ETA: and got more Reds!!!!

Edited by SullenCat

If I know the release is coming I make sure I have no eggs. Breeding gets put on hold. I will have hatchies but no more than 14.

If I know the release is coming I make sure I have no eggs. Breeding gets put on hold. I will have hatchies but no more than 14.

Lately, we never know if a release is coming, right? I tend to prepare every month, towards the end, leaving ~4/7 slots available. For the birthday, I'm hoping for a mega release so 5 of my slots will be available in less than 24 hours and the remaining two by mid-day on Saturday.

By afternoon tomorrow I'll have all my egg slots open. I have a bunch of Reds and Pinks saved up.

I am SO ready! biggrin.gif

6 of 7 egg slots will be open at midnight, the last one about 4h later, plus 7 hatchies. Also have plenty of Reds & Pinks available!

For a regular new release, i hunt rares the day before, as most want their scrolls free and wont be hunting.

For the Birthday release, i will try and keep my eggslots free, because i dont know how many breeds we'll get

Usually, I just hope for the best honestly.

I have about 80 Reds so Incubating isn't a problem ever and neither is Influencing.

In the Case of the B-Day release, I've only been here for it two times, and both times I was locked with little brothers' birthday dragons. I shouldn't be locked come Saturday around 10:00 a.m, but I've got more gifts to pick up... Hopefully I'll be fine unsure.gif

I tend to just not really notice, log in a few days after the release and go 'oh! There was a release! Grabgrabgrab quick!' xd.png

At the moment, though, I have 6 eggs at ~3d because I forgot about them and didn't add them to any click sites. I just added them, so I'm going to leave my scroll alone until it's time to grab some pretty new dragons! smile.gif

Well, you can never be too safe smile.gif Besides, I don't need my egg slots as much, I'll just wait and see!

I just clear my scroll. And then get really cross when the release doesn't happen....laugh.gif

I've been keeping my scroll egg-free for two weeks just in case the events starts earlier than expected. biggrin.gif So I am completely ready to enjoy the event. I probably won't get up to catch an egg from the first wave since it will be 7:00 AM here and being awake at 7:00 AM on a Saturday is a crime. biggrin.gif

Yesterday I locked myself with AP eggs that hatch before tomorrow morning (mostly messy things to freeze so I won't risk being hatchie locked). Today I picked up eggs from the cave whenever an egg slot was free so I wasn't tempted to go AP hunting. The CBs will go to the AP and become nice low time eggs for people to find in a few days.

I have to to these things because I don't have the discipline to keep egg slots empty. tongue.gif

Preparation:

- comfy desk chair

- well organized desk

- bio-break 10 minutes before midnight

- PJ's: tank top and shorts

- soft thin blanket, in case I get cold around 4 or 5 am

- sustenance:

-- wine until midnight, coffee afterwards

-- snacks

--- fruit

--- cheese

--- popcorn to share when drama starts

Edited by NotBambi

I've mostly locked myself with caveborns that I'm going to abandon if there's a release (they're all breeds I like and would be happy to keep if I change my mind, but all commons that I have my full 'share' of, so I don't technically need them). smile.gif

Many times I'm nearly fully locked when new released arrive, unless I know its coming and then I have only 1 or less eggs and my hatchies are nearly grown.

This time however, I'm not very prepared. happy.gif;

I have not prepared much for any non-holiday release in the past year or so -- mostly because they are not totally predictable and I have trouble keeping open spaces on my scroll. And I have steadfastly refused to abandon anything on my scroll for a release because most of my eggs are either lineage projects or gifts or things I have traded good stuff for.

But I will be ready if there is a birthday release at midnight. The last egg on my scroll just hatched about an hour ago and I have been trying to stay away from DC all day today to keep myself from grabbing more. I have 13 hatchlings, so I am safe on that front, too.

I will be here at midnight, but since everyone else will be, too, I probably won't be able to catch anything. I will go to bed if it is too frustrating and get up early to try in the morning when the madness may have died down a bit. wink.gif

Well, I had intended to have no eggs on my scroll, but I'm holding a glomp egg and I just picked up one with a cool code, so I'll have five slots open just in case.