misgavr

Dragon cave Marketplace

Ok, people keep bringing up the store thread, and I have no idea why.

Hey do not beat ME up. Earlier, there were posts between the OP and the one that is now the 2nd. One of them added the link to the store and how it covered the points brought up by the OP. Another one, by the same user, emphasized how we just needed the store and the teleports. Another user posted to agree with that user. Now, they are all gone but that's the reason I referenced the store, basically replying to them.

For what concerns Fiona's point, that sounds very reasonable. As I said earlier I'm still thinking about that.

ETA to Fiona: you're right, they should not disappear, they should stay available to be bought by someone else. Would be a problem if they were go become Wild Dragons if they were to grow up before being bought from the Market Place?

Edited by NotBambi

Yes, I think that would be a problem. No idea how to solve it though, unless eggs in the marketplace did not lose time.

Yes, I think that would be a problem. No idea how to solve it though, unless eggs in the marketplace did not lose time.

Oh I like that idea!

Except wouldn't that end up leading to it filling up with super commons and ugly lineages and other things people don't want? The benefit of eggs losing time (and getting cheaper as they do so), is eventually they'll reach a time left and price combo that gets them bought. Maybe timer freezes at 1 day left and the price just keeps dropping (until it hits 0?).

(not that I like this idea)

Not a bad solution, PF. I suppose if an egg hits 0 cost someone would take it? Rather like now in the AP, if an egg hits really low time someone always takes it no matter what the lineage is.

Not that I am sold on this whole idea either...

I'm not sold either but I like to explore possible paths. Even when I'm not crazy about the final destination.

Edited by NotBambi

I suggested before that users cant sell eggs that are 4 days before death.

As to regards to what happen when selling an egg to the marketplace, i think it will be best if you wont be able to sell anything to it except potions/scrolls you found/got.

So im going to update the idea: the only way to earn gold is by player-to-player transaction or finding treasures in the game map or selling items to the NPC shop. With an exception that all users starting with X amount of gold. Maybe earning daily bonus money will make things easier (rewarding active users)? (of-course it wont be a huge amount).

Is this idea will make more sense?

So, what's the gold sink? If the game gives out gold it needs to take it back at roughly the same pace or the currency will lose value (called inflation). If the currency is undergoing inflation people with valuable eggs won't be willing to take gold in exchange for eggs because it won't be able to buy those same eggs later.

Basically, the site needs to sell something that people will want to buy. Either large numbers of small purchases or something big to save up for.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

So, what's the gold sink?  If the game gives out gold it needs to take it back at roughly the same pace or the currency will lose value (called inflation).  If the currency is undergoing inflation people with valuable eggs won't be willing to take gold in exchange for eggs because it won't be able to buy those same eggs later.

Basically, the site needs to sell something that people will want to buy.  Either large numbers of small purchases or something big to save up for.

i did mention that the store sells potions/scrolls for an alternative BSAs, plus rare eggs sold to public.

Edited by misgavr

Ok, you seemed to mostly be talking about what you could do to earn currency, which made me concerned. But even so, you've got to make the stuff to buy /really/ appealing so that people put their gold back into the store as fast as they earn it, on average at least.

Literally no one is going to want to spend money on a common. This leaves nothing but extremely high-priced rares in this market of yours. Even if you do sell common hatchies or something, it'll take you forever to get enough for a rare, while presently many people happily offer their rares for IOUs of hatchies.

I'm not actually sure how selling a rare and buying common hatchies with the "money" is different from trading a rare directly for common hatchies.

I don't support this suggestion, but I think this particular argument against it doesn't hold water either.

As to regards to what happen when selling an egg to the marketplace, i think it will be best if you wont be able to sell anything to it except potions/scrolls you found/got.

So im going to update the idea: the only way to earn gold is by player-to-player transaction or finding treasures in the game map or selling items to the NPC shop. With an exception that all users starting with X amount of gold. Maybe earning daily bonus money will make things easier (rewarding active users)? (of-course it wont be a huge amount).

Is this idea will make more sense?

It is your suggestion, you decide what to do with it. Just take a few points in consideration. First of all, you are never, ever, make everybody happy in this forum. Ask TJ. Next... there are a very few posters, the so-called "Do Not Move My Cheese Brigade", that will oppose anything that smells of change. They are also extremely vocal. Third, your suggestion may not be perfect but, as pointed out earlier, we need a decent market place. The mechanism to sell eggs directly to the market place can be discussed, fleshed out. My advice: don't give up. Yet.

ETA: can't type.

Edited by SullenCat

Can't be sold under 4 days. but must wait 1 day (24 hours) from acquiring (so, assuming both bred and caught eggs). This means there is only a 2 day window. What happens if the egg isn't re-sold by the NPC before 4 days, if the assumption is that when it hits that time it is kicked out?

This is the time people are looking at: How long does the NPC have to sell it, and what happens if no one picks it up?

Eggs/hatchies =/= introducing currency

That's how it's different. I'm not sure what you're trying to nitpick here? My point is: I like leaving prices user set, but I prefer trading don't start involving something other than eggs/hatchies.

And what I very much prefer is user prices set only in eggs or hatchies. Actual "This egg will cost you x much gold" will raise "prices" - I would lay money on it. I hear you, but I think the difference in feel would make a difference to perceived value.

Now, in my mind, I can picture a button on someones /user link that leads to a page of available "publicly posted" tele links, with a space below each tele that allows for a short description of what they are looking for. I'm thinking 200 char blurb (with a report button of course... for people who abuse the space) When setting up a teleport, it might involve an extra click to decide if you want the tele to be public (anyone could see that goes to your trade page) or default to private (works how it does now, where only people you give the link to can see it).

All it takes for such a public marketplace to work is to stop eggs/hatchies in public teleports from gaining stats. Problem solved.

All it takes for such a public marketplace to work is to stop eggs/hatchies in public teleports from gaining stats. Problem solved.

Issue with that is that people might start using teles to "store" an egg and pull it back out later. Probably not that big an issue but still.

i did mention that the store sells potions/scrolls for an alternative BSAs, plus rare eggs sold to public.

The eggs would attract interest, but most people won't be interested in the scrolls. Maybe new users, but most of us who have been around for awhile already have tons of the BSA breeds. And old users are the ones most likely to hoard money.

Only scroll/potions I can think of that people would be readily interested in would be ones with new uses like changing a hatchie's gender or lowering breeding cooldown. Of the ones you have listed in the OP, only the healing one seems likely to attract interest, and healing sickness is very complicated to implement because sickness and stats are directly linked.

This would completely screw a certain playstyle. Having the option to block stat gain would work quite nicely though.

Issue with that is that people might start using teles to "store" an egg and pull it back out later. Probably not that big an issue but still.

I think you misread. olympe isn't talking about the egg's time left staying constant; the time to live would still drop, but the egg wouldn't be able to pick up V/UV/C. There's precious little storage ability there. At most you can force something that's ready to hatch to stay an egg for another day or two.

Edited by AGYK

What im thinking is maybe add new BSA potions that other dragons dont hatch yet, maybe force change a dragon gender when its a hatching? or we could have a potion that auto grows a dragon? maybe a potion that makes the dragon breedble again instead of waiting 14 days to breed again?

What im thinking is maybe add new BSA potions that other dragons dont hatch yet, maybe force change a dragon gender when its a hatching? or we could have a potion that auto grows a dragon? maybe a potion that makes the dragon breedble again instead of waiting 14 days to breed again?

If I may... I think you could/should focus on the innards of the market place, leaving potions and such to a later time. There was lot of work done/fleshed-out on the "It-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" suggestion, including on useful potions.

maybe a potion that makes the dragon breedble again instead of waiting 14 days to breed again?

Um, I think you mean instead of waiting 7 days, right? Because breeding cooldown is 7 days and always has been.

7 days doesn't seem that long to me. I'm not sure I'd be in favor of a potion that sped that up much.

There probably are a few ideas for BSAs that potions would work nicely for. I agree that it's probably best to work out how the market would work before worrying about specific potion ideas.