SullenCat

Release several new "real" rares

I'm sorry but your personal goals have no impact on core game mechanics. The point of a personal goal is to have something to occupy your time, not frustrate you. Personally, I think those of you complaining about not being able to get the rares you "need" are doing it wrong.

Personally I think if users who have played for 5+ years still only have one or two CB Metals (or none), then something is wrong with the game mechanics.

I'd be happy to see more trio/blusang/copper level rares. Those present ample challenge while still being possible for almost everyone to get eventually. I'd rather not see more super rares until something like the shop is added to give long term players who tried their darnedest a sure fire way to get those rares someday, even if they work 50 hours a week and have snail slow internet connection.

Personally I think if users who have played for 5+ years still only have one or two CB Metals (or none), then something is wrong with the game mechanics.

And you're still missing my point.

If they had no golds/silvers of any form, that's one thing. But the site treats lineaged and CB dragons exactly the same. And the things do still breed and do still show up in the AP and biomes. TJ is never going to change the site to treat CBs different than lineaged dragons I'm pretty sure.

The players have made CBs so sought after, not the game.

It's not Bob's fault he catches them all and Susie gets none, he just catches them so he can use them to buy the stuff he wants. That's how any market works. If we had an in-game currency people would be charging millions for CB Golds I'm sure, even if the site said Golds are only worth a thousand.

...I'm done. I'm not repeating myself anymore. Rejecting it doesn't make it false.

Did we ever say that rares have to be shiny?

Did you even skim the quotes in my above post? Yes, you (general you) did. Most of (general) you, anyway.

That being said, we already have some pretty awesome sprites that aren't exactly rare. *looks at blusangs, lunar heralds, celestials, GW, avatars, nebulas, antareans, xenos... just to name a few favorites* And I'm very grateful that they aren't rare, but somewhere between common and uncommon. A very big thank you for the people who refused to make them rare, allowing me and lots of others to hoard these to our heart's content, create lineages with them and so on.

I'm sorry but your personal goals have no impact on core game mechanics. The point of a personal goal is to have something to occupy your time, not frustrate you. Personally, I think those of you complaining about not being able to get the rares you "need" are doing it wrong.

This argument goes both ways. I'm equally "sorry" that your personal goals have no more impact on core game mechanics than mine. If you have reached your personal goals, make up new ones to occupy your time, but don't force your play style (=hunting for rares) on others who aren't as lucky.

Re "doing it wrong": I'm living in the wrong part of the world (with some noticeable time-delay for loading the page!), therefore usually prowling the cave at the wrong time of day (different time zones...) to even *see* rares. Not to mention that I happen to have rotten luck. So sue me for thinking that I don't deserve to be discriminated for "doing it wrong" for reasons mostly beyond my control.

Re "doing it wrong": I'm living in the wrong part of the world (with some noticeable time-delay for loading the page!), therefore usually prowling the cave at the wrong time of day (different time zones...) to even *see* rares. Not to mention that I happen to have rotten luck. So sue me for thinking that I don't deserve to be discriminated for "doing it wrong" for reasons mostly beyond my control.

Rares aren't time sensitive...

You should be able to be in the biomes at X:X0 or X:X5 regardless of where you live. There's even a clock in case yours is off from DC's.

Did you even skim the quotes in my above post? Yes, you (general you) did. Most of (general) you, anyway.

That being said, we already have some pretty awesome sprites that aren't exactly rare. *looks at blusangs, lunar heralds, celestials, GW, avatars, nebulas, antareans, xenos... just to name a few favorites* And I'm very grateful that they aren't rare, but somewhere between common and uncommon. A very big thank you for the people who refused to make them rare, allowing me and lots of others to hoard these to our heart's content, create lineages with them and so on.

This argument goes both ways. I'm equally "sorry" that your personal goals have no more impact on core game mechanics than mine. If you have reached your personal goals, make up new ones to occupy your time, but don't force your play style (=hunting for rares) on others who aren't as lucky.

Considering hunting for dragons is pretty much one of the key features of the game, I don't think you can call it "play style" so much as just flat out "playing".

Also life isn't fair. You might be in a different time zone, so are a lot of players. Someone will always be left out because their computer broke, they were out of town, they were asleep, etc.. The world isn't fair, and DC was based on EST, and that's just the way the egg cracks. TJ gives us the courtesy of updates/posts always being at the say time of day, so that no matter your timezone you will know that is when something is potentially posted and can check if you wish/can. I do not think that we should never release difficult to attain ever based on those reasons.

And if we're talking play style. Here's a play style reason I support: I want a new challenge. Golds are a challenge. Silvers have become less of a challenge for me. I like the challenge, I don't think it's unfair, and I don't whine about it. If I miss a new release, oh well, I'll catch them or trade for them later. This game isn't easy. I like having something to strive for. What people don't seem to get is if a game is easy it has no staying power. All of the people who talk about completing their scrolls, what happens once it's done? Do they just leave? Not play until the next release?

Not everything needs to be a lineage project. There are still 100+ things for people to make into lineages even if another few super rares are released.

And you're still missing my point.

If they had no golds/silvers of any form, that's one thing. But the site treats lineaged and CB dragons exactly the same. And the things do still breed and do still show up in the AP and biomes. TJ is never going to change the site to treat CBs different than lineaged dragons I'm pretty sure.

The players have made CBs so sought after, not the game.

It's not Bob's fault he catches them all and Susie gets none, he just catches them so he can use them to buy the stuff he wants. That's how any market works. If we had an in-game currency people would be charging millions for CB Golds I'm sure, even if the site said Golds are only worth a thousand.

...I'm done. I'm not repeating myself anymore. Rejecting it doesn't make it false.

Myself and others have already explained why CBs are so essential for playing. Also, people have made good points about wanting a challenge in the game, and honestly I think that fits in with CBs/non-CBs. You're right that most people could get lineaged metals. However, it's honestly TOO easy to get lineaged metals--as I said before, a newbie could ask for "any gold, please!" in a gifting thread and probably get one within five minutes. So, collecting lineaged golds is usually too easy. On the other hand, collecting CB Golds is usually too hard. That's why I prefer middle-of-the-line breeds, where both collecting CBs and breds is reasonably difficult, but not impossible.

Also, the major shop suggestion right now doesn't involve currency that people can spend between other users. It's a currency people use by doing normal gameplay functions that they can then redeem in a shop and only in a shop, for eggs that can't be traded. You can read more about it here if you want: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=165916

Wait, what, there is a shuffle every 5 minutes of the day? Really? Never heard of it! /sarcasm

Despite your high opinion of my cave knowledge, I usually try to be there for the aforementioned 5-minute-shuffles. Only to find some other blockers once they happen. As I said before, I hardly ever *see* rares. Despite being there. And I won't ever be able to catch them when the competition is fierce, like when there are lots of people from closer to the DC server around. Or when there's lots of traffic in general.

I'm also not arguing about when updates happen, although I was a big fan of scheduled releases because it meant I knew when to get up at 5 or 6 in the morning (depending on the status of summer daylight saving time in both our time zones) to go catch new release eggs. But, as you said, that's the way the egg cracks.

That life isn't fair is fairly new to me, too. Never heard of that principle. Especially not as an argument to shut up people who don't want more of what makes them feel left out. This point of argument is absolutely new to DC, really. /more sarcasm

It's also great that YOU are able to catch everything whenever you like. Or trade for stuff because of the other great stuff you're able to catch. But there are a lot of players who don't have that luxury. For whom it's not going to happen one way or another. It's bad enough that golds and even silvers are pretty much unobtainable to many of us, at least in CB form (which is essential to many play styles). I'm not trying to make them go away or something. But I'm very much against adding more of those unobtainables, especially if, as many people hope, their sprites are going to be amazing.

Edited by olympe

It's also great that YOU are able to catch everything whenever you like. Or trade for stuff because of the other great stuff you're able to catch. But there are a lot of players who don't have that luxury. For whom it's not going to happen one way or another. It's bad enough that golds and even silvers are pretty much unobtainable to many of us, at least in CB form (which is essential to many play styles). I'm not trying to make them go away or something. But I'm very much against adding more of those unobtainables, especially if, as many people hope, their sprites are going to be amazing.

My first gold wasn't obtained by any special trade, and it wasn't caught. I gave something like 15 commons for it. There are trades out there that are completely obtainable to the average player. I see tons of easy to complete trades for CB Silvers, and a smaller but decent amount for golds.

You don't have to be a power player to trade for CB metals. You just need to find the right trade, and they do exist.

Personally, I think those of you complaining about not being able to get the rares you "need" are doing it wrong.

Please fill me in on what I am doing wrong, so I can do what you think is "right!"

And I am done, too, before I have to say something that will get me a warn.

I don't mind listening to the reasons why people want new rares, even if I don't agree. What I am minding so much is being told that my opinion is wrong, selfish, and whatever else it has been called here. sad.gif

Edited by purplehaze

My first gold wasn't obtained by any special trade, and it wasn't caught. I gave something like 15 commons for it. There are trades out there that are completely obtainable to the average player. I see tons of easy to complete trades for CB Silvers, and a smaller but decent amount for golds.
Well, you joined during the big metal flood, where metals were comparatively easy to come by. That might have had something to do with what you paid for yours. Something about supply (high) and demand (so low many people reportedly had trouble gifting metals).

Not to mention that, way back then, there were no prizes, no spriter's alts and hardly any knowledge about creating neglected dragons.

Edited by olympe

This thread seems to have become more about how to catch rares than the suggestion itself. As such, and as I believe useful discussion has pretty much already outworn itself, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. I'm sure there's enough here for TJ to get an idea of some of the different opinions around this suggestion.