SullenCat

Release several new "real" rares

When was the last time that we saw some major, nay, noteworthy gameplay mechanic change? I can't recall one, looked all the way back to January 2015 in News and gave up without finding one.

Encyclopedia? And according to the last news post he's considering description mods, something I've seen requested several times.

I think the main problem is we suggest too much. He has to code the whole thing himself, he can't just add stuff in at the clip we come up with it or we'll get another lagmonster.

There are a few ways to do it.  Crystalline structure is probably the easiest.  Horns and spines made out of crystal and somewhat oversized to make it more spectacular, and/or crystalline growths elsewhere.  It can also be done without actually having crystals growing from the body, such as scales of a type that give the impression that the whole dragon is really a faceted gem.  Transparency is also a possibility, but I think the crystalline nature of gems is a better thing to transfer to the dragon.  Although, I prefer a dragon that is beautifully shaded to give the impression of translucence to one that actually shows the background through.

I was looking at different gem cuts and wishing I could transpose the Trillion to a dragon sprite smile.gif

Think... similar sprites, each of them suggesting a different gem cut...

Edited by _Sin_

As long as we don't get gem dragons with animated sparkles... /shot

The more I think about this the more I question if adding more rares would actually increase the chances of catching one for any person; would it? Or would it just raise a demand for more rares that many people can't catch? I have a feeling that dragons showing up in the cave is similar to a supply of fruit in barrels. If you have a large barrel (commons), a medium barrel (uncommons), and a small barrel (rares), switching out what kinds of fruit are in these barrels won't make a difference when it comes to chances of grabbing something; if anything, wouldn't it make it harder to hunt for a specific thing?

If Golds were lemons and Silvers were apples (presuming these are the only two "true rares" we have), adding in apricots, pears, peaches, limes, bananas, grapes, oranges, and grapefruit wouldn't make it any easier to grab lemons or apples; it would actually make it harder, because you're filling an already-small barrel full of fruit that you have to comb through in order to find the ones you want. User-interpreted value may take over and make some rares easier to catch, simply because the demand is lower for them in comparison to <X> other rares... but I doubt it would have an impact on much at all. Fast catchers will still be grabbing these rares, they'll just have more incentive to do it because they have a wider selection of dragons to choose from.

While I don't believe this would help with ease-of-access with grabbing rares though, I do think the diversity is worthwhile. I have trouble believing it will help the market - since people asking for CB Golds or Silver will just be asking for CB <NewRares> instead, which won't be any easier to catch than Golds or Silvers - but in terms of diversity alone having a new rare to search for wouldn't hurt anything. Though reading past comments, adding more uncommon breeds may be a wiser choice (to be perfectly honest, I never knew that some breeds classified as "rare" were actually uncommon).

@skwerl56767 - I don't think that's how the ratios work. Of course, only TJ knows for sure, but this is more what I think: If Golds are lemons and Silvers are apples, currently there are like 3 of those sitting in a semi truck mixed in with hundreds or even thousands of different types of vegetables. Toss in 5 more fruits and it'll become slightly easier to find a fruit rather than a vegetable.

Metaphors aside, I think that when the cave generates an egg, it checks a table of sorts. That table isn't divided into common/uncommon/rare, all the species are on there together. However, Golds and Silvers only spawn on one of two specific numbers, while one type of common might spawn on 5 or 10 different numbers. (This might just be the part of me that plays Dungeons and Dragons talking, we roll d-100s whenever we have to generate treasure where the really valuable stuff only occupies like 5 numbers.)

@skwerl56767 - I don't think that's how the ratios work. Of course, only TJ knows for sure, but this is more what I think: If Golds are lemons and Silvers are apples, currently there are like 3 of those sitting in a semi truck mixed in with hundreds or even thousands of different types of vegetables. Toss in 5 more fruits and it'll become slightly easier to find a fruit rather than a vegetable.

Metaphors aside, I think that when the cave generates an egg, it checks a table of sorts. That table isn't divided into common/uncommon/rare, all the species are on there together. However, Golds and Silvers only spawn on one of two specific numbers, while one type of common might spawn on 5 or 10 different numbers. (This might just be the part of me that plays Dungeons and Dragons talking, we roll d-100s whenever we have to generate treasure where the really valuable stuff only occupies like 5 numbers.)

I like your metaphor, adding it to the OP!

Hm, that would work then, if it generates according to the mass numbers and it doesn't separate them out first. I've always assumed that the ratios check the rarities of the species first before specifying actual dragon breeds, but as you said only TJ would know for sure. So I guess that whole part of the mess is dependent on the mechanics of DC itself, so it may or may not work. *Shrug* The joy of assumptions. xd.png

I like this idea for more than one reasons. But the biggest reason is to give users something else to strive for. I understand that Gold and Silver dragons, without worrying about ratios or whatever, seem to be the "Gold" standard upon what other dragon values are based. And when it comes to catching "rares", even things that are super uncommon don't seem to hold the years and years of value that golds and silvers have. So if for nothing else, it gives users something else to want, to catch, more variety, etc. Outside of winning Raffles and nifty lineages or just a really lucky catch or gift from whatever.

I know that a player that has been around for a few years, no matter how the ratios flux, I know that Blusangs have been SUPER uncommon to uncommon and Coppers and other things (although some more immediately after their release, but seem to have more in the Biomes as time goes on). But from players that have been here a year or two, I would expect that player to have at least a few CB Blusangs, a few CB Coppers, and a few CB Xenos. That player doesn't always have CB Silvers or Golds. Much less a "few" of them. And I'd like to get more dragons that either let someone get really lucky, or really put in the work, or be a very very generous gift.

(Not gonna talk about the store because its not a fair comparison here. This is just Biome Drops and Dragon Breeds anyone at anytime could potentially catch and/or trade and/or use as the "currency" of our dragon market and world).

And some people may see it as "unfair" to have "yet another dragon they have trouble getting." But some people who attain dragons from raffles or other ways you cannot attain them other than luck or if a store is released, if someone wants offspring from that dragon, what can you offer them to tempt them to "trade" with you? NDs? Multiple Golds and Silvers? I think a bit more variety for higher end trades would make the free market a little more "free and wider with more variety". Because with a lot of rare dragons that cannot be attained by work or catching (more luck or whatever else), the trading is usually limited to other people who got "lucky". At least if "other" players have something else to offer, I think it would peak interest and help with that a bit. Or if nothing else, give the older players something to peak their interest. And perhaps dive back into the game a bit more if they are feeling less excited. Having a dragon you really have to work to get is always very exciting when you finally attain it. Even if its a bit of a pain along the way.

Edited by natayah

Natayah, I think that last statement is dependent on the individual, in all actuality. I'll admit that I was excited when I caught my first gold..at 3am when I was suffering from the flu... but other dragons that I've struggled to get have actually turned me off from the game. Take the GoN. It took me so long to get it, that I've come to despise it. When I first saw it, I was captivated. When I finally got it, I sighed with relief that I didn't have to try for it anymore, but there was no excitement at all. The frustration had killed that long ago.

I don't hunt rares because I find life to be frustrating enough. I don't breed the ones I have, except by request, for the same reason. I can't even catch the Spessartines I need, so the idea of more true rares really turns this old player off even more. It really doesn't give me more to hunt, because I won't waste my time hunting what I know I won't be able to catch, so there goes my interest.

I know I'm unique and probably the only one who feels this way, but figured I would share just the same.

<snip>

I don't hunt rares because I find life to be frustrating enough. I don't breed the ones I have, except by request, for the same reason. I can't even catch the Spessartines I need, so the idea of more true rares really turns this old player off even more. It really doesn't give me more to hunt, because I won't waste my time hunting what I know I won't be able to catch, so there goes my interest.

I know I'm unique and probably the only one who feels this way, but figured I would share just the same.

Sir Barton, you are not alone! I expressed almost exactly the same thing earlier in the thread.

And in spite of the talk of Coppers not being rare . . . blah, blah blah, yadda, yadda, yadda . . . I only just now finally got my base scroll goals of CB Coppers and was only able to get them by trading -- and they have been in the cave for years. Ditto Spessartines, but Almandines are still out of reach for me. I gave up hunting for rares long ago because of the total mind-numbing frustration of sitting for hours in the cave and never even seeing one, let along being able to catch it if it flew by. And I am ordinarily a very patient person.

Edited by purplehaze

So if for nothing else, it gives users something else to want, to catch, more variety, etc.
And, for the players who can't even catch current CB rares, it gives them something else to want, never to catch, more variety they won't have available for their own lineages etc.

But some people who attain dragons from raffles or other ways you cannot attain them other than luck or if a store is released, if someone wants offspring from that dragon, what can you offer them to tempt them to "trade" with you? NDs? Multiple Golds and Silvers? I think a bit more variety for higher end trades would make the free market a little more "free and wider with more variety". Because with a lot of rare dragons that cannot be attained by work or catching (more luck or whatever else), the trading is usually limited to other people who got "lucky".
Adding more rares will give people more rares to abuse as currency, that much is true. But who will be able to catch said currency? The same people who manage to catch the current rares, that's who. It might even tempt some of those CB "special" owners to trade more of their 2nd gen eggs for rare stuff, while now they can only use so many CB golds and silvers for their scroll goals before they either stop breeding (helping out the ratios for other breeders) or start gifting because they already have all they need.

Natayah, I think that last statement is dependent on the individual, in all actuality. I'll admit that I was excited when I caught my first gold..at 3am when I was suffering from the flu... but other dragons that I've struggled to get have actually turned me off from the game. Take the GoN. It took me so long to get it, that I've come to despise it. When I first saw it, I was captivated. When I finally got it, I sighed with relief that I didn't have to try for it anymore, but there was no excitement at all. The frustration had killed that long ago.

This, so much this. There were times where I used to stalk the cave for hours on end. Even during the metal flood. Without success. So why should I waste more time that way, when I know perfectly well that it won't yield the results I want? To me, more rares = more frustration.

And in spite of the talk of Coppers not being rare . . . blah, blah blah, yadda, yadda, yadda
I had a hunch way back during the 7 day release that the dragon following the hybrid would be rare and made space to catch 6 coppers when they first came out, 1 male and 1 female of each color. So you could say that I got a head start with them. Still, I need one more verdigris to reach my minimum goal of 2 of each sprite and gender... xd.png)

As long as the biomes are stagnate, I'm not sure I understand how adding more rares will help. They'll still be sitting behind the caveblockers nobody wants.

I like this idea for more than one reasons. But the biggest reason is to give users something else to strive for. I understand that Gold and Silver dragons, without worrying about ratios or whatever, seem to be the "Gold" standard upon what other dragon values are based. And when it comes to catching "rares", even things that are super uncommon don't seem to hold the years and years of value that golds and silvers have. So if for nothing else, it gives users something else to want, to catch, more variety, etc. Outside of winning Raffles and nifty lineages or just a really lucky catch or gift from whatever.

I know that a player that has been around for a few years, no matter how the ratios flux, I know that Blusangs have been SUPER uncommon to uncommon and Coppers and other things (although some more immediately after their release, but seem to have more in the Biomes as time goes on). But from players that have been here a year or two, I would expect that player to have at least a few CB Blusangs, a few CB Coppers, and a few CB Xenos. That player doesn't always have CB Silvers or Golds. Much less a "few" of them. And I'd like to get more dragons that either let someone get really lucky, or really put in the work, or be a very very generous gift.

(Not gonna talk about the store because its not a fair comparison here. This is just Biome Drops and Dragon Breeds anyone at anytime could potentially catch and/or trade and/or use as the "currency" of our dragon market and world).

And some people may see it as "unfair" to have "yet another dragon they have trouble getting." But some people who attain dragons from raffles or other ways you cannot attain them other than luck or if a store is released, if someone wants offspring from that dragon, what can you offer them to tempt them to "trade" with you? NDs? Multiple Golds and Silvers? I think a bit more variety for higher end trades would make the free market a little more "free and wider with more variety". Because with a lot of rare dragons that cannot be attained by work or catching (more luck or whatever else), the trading is usually limited to other people who got "lucky". At least if "other" players have something else to offer, I think it would peak interest and help with that a bit. Or if nothing else, give the older players something to peak their interest. And perhaps dive back into the game a bit more if they are feeling less excited. Having a dragon you really have to work to get is always very exciting when you finally attain it. Even if its a bit of a pain along the way.

Thank you. You said much of what I think on the subject, much better articulated than I could.

As long as the biomes are stagnate, I'm not sure I understand how adding more rares will help. They'll still be sitting behind the caveblockers nobody wants.

The biomes shuffle every 5 minutes and the eggs appear. Otherwise there would not be a bunch of uncommon and rares in the trading threads.

Edited by SullenCat

But if you do not hunt or breed rares now, why should you care if there are more??? As in: I cannot use it, so nobody should???

ETA:

I think that the people opposing new rares are forgetting something quite important.Nowadays, they cannot catch Golds and Silvers, understood. But during the initial release, not only the fast catchers will have a chance at the new rares, everybody will. And there's a big difference between the quantity of Golds and Silvers dropping today and the quantity that will be available during the release. And, based on experience, I would bet that the rarity will not be announced.

Edited by SullenCat

Just posting to throw in my tentative support for the addition of more rares (even if I never manage to catch them).

But if you do not hunt or breed rares now, why should you care if there are more??? As in: I cannot use it, so nobody should???

ETA:

I think that the people opposing new rares are forgetting something quite important.Nowadays, they cannot catch Golds and Silvers, understood. But during the initial release, not only the fast catchers will have a chance at the new rares, everybody will. And there's a big difference between the quantity of Golds and Silvers dropping today and the quantity that will be available during the release. And, based on experience, I would bet that the rarity will not be announced.

Valid point there, if anyone wants an example I'd like to point at the Pyralspites. I don't think anyone expected the Almandines and Spessartines to turn out so rare. To this day, my only CBs of those two are from the release.

Now, to everyone reading this:

Golds, Silvers and Coppers are not the only rares! I'm kinda tired of everyone bringing the same breeds into the question every time and ignoring everything else. Sure, it's hard to find a CB Gold. But what about Blusangs or Xenos? More than just a couple breeds stand to benefit from this.

Also, is there really any harm? Technically you don't even need all those CBs to make your lineages, you just want them. Bloodswaps and gifts can easily be used to make lineages, and if all someone wants is the sprite many people would be happy to breed them one. At the simplest level, simply being CB does not do anything to the dragon's rarity, people have just decided that CBs are better. Because reasons.

(Sorry if anything here sounds rude, I'm feeling kinda snippy today.)

Because it is frustrating to not be able to collect all of the dragons we would like to own. I would love to be able to build lineages with rare dragons, but find it impossible. And it would increase my frustration with the game immensely if there were even MORE rare dragons that I will never be able to collect. I guess I am just not altruistic enough to feel happy because other people will be able to collect scrolls full of even more breeds that I can never hope to have.

ETA:

I think you are making an unproven assumption here. I was not here for the initial release of either the Gold or Silver dragons, so I can't attest to how that went, and neither can you. But I was here for the initial release of the Leetle Trees and believe me there was not an ample supply of those. They were few and far between and MANY users, including me, were unable to catch one. Who is to say that a new rare will not be like that?

<snip>

Also, is there really any harm? Technically you don't even need all those CBs to make your lineages, you just want them. Bloodswaps and gifts can easily be used to make lineages, and if all someone wants is the sprite many people would be happy to breed them one. At the simplest level, simply being CB does not do anything to the dragon's rarity, people have just decided that CBs are better. Because reasons.

(Sorry if anything here sounds rude, I'm feeling kinda snippy today.)

It sounds like you have never had a lineage ruined by someone else deciding to try to make a Zombie out of one of the CBs in your line. Or just outright killing it for their own reasons. Some of us have traded dearly for nice lineages just to have them ruined by such actions. Tends to make one a bit gun-shy about depending on building your lineage on other people's work.

Edited by purplehaze

Valid point there, if anyone wants an example I'd like to point at the Pyralspites. I don't think anyone expected the Almandines and Spessartines to turn out so rare. To this day, my only CBs of those two are from the release.

Exactly! I was smiling while reading someone that is opposing new rares but got her Coppers during the initial release. The best opportunity to collect un-commons has been when they were released: Coppers and Pyralspites are an obvious example. I'm willing to bet that my "unproven assumption" is quite more proven than the opposite assumption.

Leetle Trees are NOT rares. They are not even uncommon. I saw often those sitting there for several refreshes. Not really an example.

ETA: OK, thanks for confirming: people that oppose new rares do not want them because they think they will not be able to get them, so nobody should. Got it.

Edited by SullenCat

Despite reading all the posts here, I still strongly support this. I'm just not sure I can put into words why. And people here have already said a lot of what I think.

There is user-rarity, and then real-rarity. Golds and silvers are real rares. If I go by how many I successfully breed, Blusangs and Xenos are not rares. On the rare side of uncommon, maybe. And yes, they may be more rare CB, but I'm talking about the entire breed, not just one aspect of it.

I would love more rares in this game. Not one or two, but four or five or more real rares. I don't see this as something that no one will be able to get; I see it as another goal, another challenge, another reason to keep playing this game. You don't have to collect rares. You don't have to try. But for those of us who appreciate the challenge... Why not?

Because it is frustrating to not be able to collect all of the dragons we would like to own. I would love to be able to build lineages with rare dragons, but find it impossible. And it would increase my frustration with the game immensely if there were even MORE rare dragons that I will never be able to collect. I guess I am just not altruistic enough to feel happy because other people will be able to collect scrolls full of even more breeds that I can never hope to have.

I think you are making an unproven assumption here. I was not here for the initial release of either the Gold or Silver dragons, so I can't attest to how that went, and neither can you. But I was here for the initial release of the Leetle Trees and believe me there was not an ample supply of those. They were few and far between and MANY users, including me, were unable to catch one. Who is to say that a new rare will not be like that?

Sorry, but I have to quote Sullen here: "I cannot use it, so nobody should???".

Also, at the moment we only have 2 cave breedable rares, gold and silver (the other rares are either summoned/created like the GoN and ND, or unbreedables like the cheese, dinos and chicken). The other "rares" are user driven (at least TJ and spriters have stated they were not meant to be that rare, though most users can demonstrate that its at least a tiny bit true).

I'm really not concerned with what the concepts are so long as the artwork is better then average. We have some excellent artists on site and I'm sure if they chose to sprite 'rare' dragons, their work would be awesome.

Are you talking artwork, or design? There's a difference between a well executed sprite of an ugly dragon, and a poorly executed sprite of a beautiful dragon. As far as I know, those in DR already strive for both skillful art and exciting design when creating new dragons, and TJ already selects those with the art he thinks is best to add to the site.

I agree with your sentiment that rare dragons should be really special, but as far as I know, the site already strives for maximum specialness when creating common dragons. I don't see what more could be done to make the rares even more special.

Sorry, but I have to quote Sullen here: "I cannot use it, so nobody should???".

Am I not allowed to oppose this idea because it would make the game more frustrating for me?

Am I not allowed to oppose this idea because it would make the game more frustrating for me?

Obviously, everybody is allowed to support or oppose whatever suggestion. TJ is able to identify how many support or oppose (whatever the number of multiple "yay" or "nay" posts posted by the same), and is important to know the motivations behind different points of view. At least is important for us, members of the community, could be for TJ as well.

Edited by SullenCat

Just going off the top post, so sorry if my response isn't related to current discussion:

Considering how many people have played for years and still have no / very few CB Golds / Silvers, I'm not sure I want to see more of them, at least not until there's a shop or something similar around to give people who have tried their darnedest for a very long time a surefire way of getting these breeds. Now I'd be ok with having more uncommons / moderate rares like trios, blusangs, coppers, etc, but iunno if I like the idea of more super rares.

What we need is the release of a very significant number of new rares, enough to balance the numbers, so the usual fast catchers would not be able to get them all and dominate the market.

[...]

The introduction of new rares would also induce more interest on hunting and breeding: nowadays many of us just resigned ourselves to never be able to get a low gen metal in our scrolls, unless a friendly benefactor provides.

I feel like even more of the rares would just end up with the same people, honestly. Even the most hardcore hunters usually don't seem to put up more than 3-4 CB Metals for trade at a time, suggesting they still have room to hunt, and thus to stock up on even more eggs. I guess a few more might slip through the cracks, and theoretically if you really wanted egg Z and eggs X, Y, and U were worth about the same, you might stand more chance of trading for them... but it all feels tentative. As you say, many people have given up on getting CB / low gen rares, and I feel like even with some of the benefits you've mentioned, the main effect would be even more things that people can't really collect and feel they have to give up on getting. Granted, you made a point that these would drop in droves at first, but as we've seen with coppers and pyralspites, there will still be plenty of people who miss out on that first release and just never can get any after. If you release a whole mass of rares at once, that effect is even stronger because, obviously, people won't be able to get many of any one breed--or if more than seven are released, they might not even be able to get one of each breed.

As Purplehaze said, having lineages ruined by other user's actions can really make people want to make their own lines instead. Myself, Cyradis4, and a few others have suggested that people have the option to keep a lineage always looking as it was when they recieve it (ie, you get a line, someone kills a dragon in it, you keep seeing the full pedigree), but unfortunately a lot of pepole seem to think their right to make a tombstone sprite appear in our lines trumps our wishes to not fear we'll lose any shared lines at any moment, unfortunately... -___- Or, even when killing isn't involved, people can just do goofy things like name changes. If you make a 7g even line with names forming a poem, the last thing you want someone to do is suddenly name a dragon right in the middle of the poem HI MY NAME IS BOB or something.

On top of that, CBs offer more creativity (I can breed anything I like from a CB Silver; in contrast, a 3g Silver from Red stairstep is only gonna be able to go so many ways, really) and, in some cases, really DO feel rarer than their bred counterparts. Bred xenos and coppers are pretty commonplace, but as we know, CBs are quite rare. On a related vein, while golds and silvers do breed really stubbornly, the fact that you could ask for "any lined gold please!" in a gifting thread and probably get one within five minutes from a generous donor kinda takes the thrill out of them being rare. It's NICE to have rares, despite what you might think from what I'm saying, it's just nicer when they are ones everyone can reasonably get within a certain amount of time of dedicated looking xd.png

I believe the Leetle Trees were intentionally released in a subtle way rather than as a true release, kinda like I think the purple dinos were...? I think coppers, pyrals, blusangs and xenos are more indicative of how things would go. Of course, I still think there would be issues with such a release, for multiple reasons, as I said above.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Sure you are. And others are allowed to support the idea because it is frustrating to leave things as they are.

Over and over again, suggestions have been drowned by "I cannot use it, so nobody should???". That's quite frustrating too. The worst part is the drowning is coming often from people that express frustration at the way things are.

Is this suggestion going to work? No idea, I hope so. I'm just sick and tired of reading "Things suck but do not change anything because the alternative will suck too".

I'm not holding my breath either. I've been on a rather long DC hiatus and only check the site and the forum occasionally, mostly during holidays and when I have absolutely nothing better to do.

And guess what? Not a single thing changed in this game beyond "NEW DRAGONS!!1!1". That's on par with one of those GTA Online updates where Rockstar does nothing but add new cars for players to waste in-game and/or real-life money on. It's probably enough to arouse interest from people who were waiting for major changes for a week (and that's really generous), and then it's just going to sink back to the bottom of their priorities.

At this stage, the root problem I see is not that TJ doesn't listen to the playerbase, but that the game has been terrifyingly static over the years. When was the last time that we saw some major, nay, noteworthy gameplay mechanic change? I can't recall one, looked all the way back to January 2015 in News and gave up without finding one.

My current impression of the state of the game and S/R is that there's no point discussing anything. It doesn't matter if I start an idea, agree to an idea, disagree with an idea, get into a heated debate over an idea, get spriter opinion on an idea, get spriter support/opposition on an idea, get TJ to respond to an idea, get TJ to voice the feasibility and possibility of an idea or whatever. Nothing is going to actually change in a foreseeable future anyway.

Yes, you are perfectly right. But WHY should TJ change gameplay mechanics when even the mention of adding dragons that are not the usual cave blockers provokes an uproar?

The very vocal minority around here does not want anything to change, from new breeds to updates of old sprites. At the same time, while pursuing the status quo, loudly complain about it.

Yeah, nothing changes, because there is no support for real changes.