Sign in to follow this  
Obscure_Trash

Fertility Page Loading

I would really like to be able to utilize the awesomeness of fertility's filter sorting (for example, with breeding!, maybe even trying to look through my scroll for descriptions, etc.), but I've stayed away from suggesting anything along these lines because anytime fertility comes up, people who have trouble loading it come to comment in the hoards about how horrible it is. Which is fair - if it didn't load for me, I wouldn't want to use it more.

Now, I haven't checked with TJ about this, so I have no idea the extent he's looked into this or anything else. I just thought I could start this and see if we can't find some issue here.

When fertility first changed to the filter, there was a thread about the loading issue some users had. Fertility was around a little bit and the topic eventually died, probably due to a combination of not being really acknowledged and the assumption it would fix itself, so the same people didn't want to have to keep bumping it. However, people are still having loading issues with the new style, so I think it's time if we figured out if this is something we can fix on DC's end or if it comes down simply to computer/internet.

Stats that might be useful to collect:

[b]Scroll name:[/b] (if you're comfortable sharing)
[b]Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?):[/b] 
[b]Browser/s + version/s:[/b] 
[b]ISP:[/b] (if you're comfortable sharing)
[b]Part of the world location:[/b] (if you're comfortable sharing)
[b]Ping:[/b] 
[b]Download speed:[/b] 
[b]Upload speed:[/b] 
[b]Ping to DC average speed:[/b] 
[b]Time of the above tests:[/b] 
[b]How long does it typically take to load fertility?:[/b] 
[b]Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?:[/b] 
[b]How often do you use fertility?:[/b] 
[b]How often do you try to use fertility but can't?:[/b] 
[b]How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?:[/b] 
[b]If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?:[/b] 
[b]Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?:[/b] 
[b]Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?:[/b] (maybe any add-ons or other page modifications you use?)

Ping/download/upload: http://www.speedtest.net/

Ping to DC on Mac: Open your terminal, type "ping dragcave.net" Let it run for a few seconds, then control+C to quit. Look through the results to get an idea of the average time.

Ping to DC on Windows:

1. Open the Start Menu

2. Type cmd and hit Enter; this will load the Command Prompt

3. Type ping dragcave.net and let it run. It will ping 4 times, and will calculate average trip time at the end.

Screenshot. The average trip time is indicated by the giant red arrow.

(Thanks, AGYK! <3 Much appreciated.)

You definitely don't have to have issues to fill this out, as it could be helpful to compare.

For easy reference, here's the list of posts with users who have had recent issues with fertility loading:

fuzzbucket, olympe, cyradis4

Here's mine:

Scroll name: SockPuppet Strangler

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Mac (Macbook Air, about three years old), El Capitan 10.11.4 (most updated version)

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox 40.0.2 (most updated version)

ISP: Charter Comm

Part of the world location: North America/USA

Ping: 32 ms

Download speed: 24.20 Mbps

Upload speed: 4.46 Mbps

Ping to DC average speed: 80 - 85 ms

Time of the above tests: 10:45 pm ET (about)

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: ~1 sec or less

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: No

How often do you use fertility?: Every few months

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: Never (the very first time I loaded the new filter, it took maybe 5 seconds to load, then never had a problem that I recall)

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: Usually loads so fast I don't see it, although sometimes I may see it flash for a second or two before the list of dragons pops up

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: N/A

Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?: N/A

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: Not atm

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Ping to DC on Mac: Open your terminal, type "ping dragcave.net" Let it run for a few seconds, then control+C to quit. Look through the results to get an idea of the average time.

(Can someone provide how to do this on Windows?)

On Windows:

1. Open the Start Menu

2. Type cmd and hit Enter; this will load the Command Prompt

3. Type ping dragcave.net and let it run. It will ping 4 times, and will calculate average trip time at the end.

4. Post average trip time here.

Screenshot. The average trip time is indicated by the giant red arrow.

Scroll name: (if you're comfortable sharing) AGYK

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Windows 7. Pretty decent system, only about a year old.

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox 41.0.2

ISP: (if you're comfortable sharing) Not comfortable sharing

Part of the world location: (if you're comfortable sharing) USA

Ping: 32ms

Download speed: 33.55 MBPS

Upload speed: 4.47 MBPS

Ping to DC average speed: 82ms

Time of the above tests: 1 AM DC time

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: ~1-2s (might be somewhat on the low end if anything is cached; due to NoScript, I have to deal with multiple page reloads while I allow two different sites to run JavaScript.)

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: No, but I don't use it often

How often do you use fertility?: A few times a month

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: Haven't seen it fail yet

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: N/A

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?:

Scroll name: Bugzilla

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Several PCs and laptops running Windows 7 Enterprise, Ubuntu 15.10, Debian 6.0 (yes, the latter is old).

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox 45.0.2, sometimes Chrome 50.0.2661.75. Both of them are regularly updated to whatever is the latest version.

ISP: Various, depending on if I am at home, at work or travelling.

Part of the world location: Europe: Belgium (home) or Germany (work)

Ping: Home: varies a lot, usually around 50ms. Work: 21ms.

Download speed: Home: 8 to 20 Mbps, usually around 12. Work: 94 Mbps.

Upload speed: Home: usually less than 3 Mbps. Work: 99 Mbps.

Ping to DC average speed: Home: varies a lot, around 200 ms. Work: 151-163 ms (through a mandatory web proxy).

Time of the above tests: 10am CEST (= 4am DC time)

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: Less than 1 second to load the page, but around 25 seconds until all dragon images are visible in the list.

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: No.

How often do you use fertility?: Every few months.

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: It has always worked for me so far.

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: I remember seeing it a while ago, but I usually do not see it.

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: I use the 1960 theme, but I block the background image (bg.jpg) and background paper (paper.jpg) so that all pages load a bit faster. This is useful for egg hunting, but I doubt that it changes much for the fertility page.

Scroll name: flurp

Computer OS/other relevant information Acer custom built, XP, AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core. 2.20GHz, 1.87 Gb RAM; Samsung Galaxytab 4, marshmallow.

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox 45.0.2 (most updated version)

ISP: cybermoor (small local radio transmitter one)

Part of the world location: UK

Ping: 49 ms

Download speed: 2.81 Mbps

Upload speed: .98 Mbps

Ping to DC average speed: 185 ms

Time of the above tests: 09.21 BST

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: 5 - 30 sec

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: Not ALL the time, any more

How often do you use fertility?: Every few weeks

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: Never - if I am going to use it I am determined and I manage.

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? Always

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: Since the invention of Mr Flappy

Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?: Not entirely

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: Only that it is inconsistent. It would be nice to have a non-javascript option. And, I suppose, given that other sites and dc options work fine - it isn't the fact that I have a weird ISP ! Also, when it was set up the old way, it took a couple of seconds to load ALL my dragons... and the same for breed - I've never had issues with either page - even with my 4000 dragons till - first - Mr Flappy and now the breed page (but I'd rather have it as it is now than add Flappy - I can turn off images and it loads like lightning.)

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Linux

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox (always updating to the latest version)

ISP: Swisscom

Part of the world location: Switzerland

Ping: 38 ms

Download speed: 12.23 Mbps

Upload speed: 1.06 Mbps

Ping to DC average speed: 186 ms

Time of the above tests: 4:43 am EDT (cave time)

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: 3 - 4 seconds from clicking the action until the list appears

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: No

How often do you use fertility?: 1 - 5 times a day

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: never in the past few months

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: Sometimes I see it for a short time (1 second), sometimes not at all (because the list loads immediately). Very rarely I get the flying dragon for a long time, then I hit F5 and the list always loads after that.

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: I've only had real issues a while ago, last year I think. No problems now, since reloading always makes it work if it seems to lag.

Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?: No

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: I think the (small) issue with the list not appearing on the first try is more likely to happen when I have other browser tabs loading content from DC at the same time, such as hatcheries. When I click fertility very quickly on another dragon before the first one's list has appeared (so they try loading the list at the same time) one of them tends to end up with the flying dragon.

Scroll name: olympe

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Windows 8 (no idea which version), 1.5 years old. Definitely not crap.

Browser/s + version/s: Chrome version 49.0.2623.112

ISP: unitymedia

Part of the world location: Germany / Europe

Ping: 14 ms

Download speed: 23.63 Mbps

Upload speed: 5.94 Mbps

Ping to DC average speed: 181 md

Time of the above tests: 7:50 AM EST

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: Page itself loaded in 1-3 seconds, but it took almost a full minute afterwards (around 55 s) until all dragons were in the list. Using the filter before the list is fully loaded speeds up the process considerably.

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: No idea, I don't use it normally.

How often do you use fertility?: Not at all. I prefer to play with JavaScript disabled.

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: n/a

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: n/a

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: No idea, I stopped using it a while ago.

Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?: n/a

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: (maybe any add-ons or other page modifications you use?) I've got almost 4,500 dragons at the moment. More than 4,400 of them should be breedable.

ETA: There seems to be an interesting trend. People from the US seem to have a ping of 1/10 of a second / 100 ms less than people from Europe.

Edited by olympe

ETA: There seems to be an interesting trend. People from the US seem to have a ping of 1/10 of a second / 100 ms less than people from Europe.

It's a LONG WAY, see laugh.gif

Wow I wasn't going to fill this out, then I went to go use Fertility today, and...... Its taking forever to load! I'm not seeing Mr. Flappy, but its doing the exact same thing as breeding was doing: taking minutes to load all 6,000+ dragons. I am NOT in favor of that change!

(it used to work just fine for me).

Scroll name: (if you're comfortable sharing) Cyradis4

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8 GB of Ram, 32 bit operating system at work. At home, its at home I'll have to get it then. xd.png

Browser/s + version/s: Windows 7 Professional

ISP: (if you're comfortable sharing)

Part of the world location: (if you're comfortable sharing) Maryland, USA

Ping: 6 ms

Download speed: 257 Mbps

Upload speed: 181 Mbps

Ping to DC average speed:

Time of the above tests: 9 am

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: Well, it used to load in seconds. It took several minutes, this time. Like breeding was doing, not long ago.

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: Nope, today was the first time I had issues.

How often do you use fertility?: Couple times a week.

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: Never, I've never had issues in the past.

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: I usually see him for a second or two, but today I didn't see him at all and had atrocious loading time.

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: They started today. Or maybe this past week, I wasn't using it this last week.

Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?: Nope.

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: (maybe any add-ons or other page modifications you use?)

Scroll name: xeyla

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Gaming computer: AMD FX-9590 Eight Core processor 4.70ghz

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox 45.0.1

ISP: Comcast

Part of the world location: CT, USA

Ping: 20ms

Download speed: 177.44 mbps

Upload speed: 12.18 mbps

Ping to DC average speed: 100ms

Time of the above tests: 10:14pm

How long does it typically take to load fertility?:

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: none

How often do you use fertility?: 1/month maybe 2x

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: none

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: never

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: never

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: (maybe any add-ons or other page modifications you use?) AdBlockPlus

@cyradis4: I'm very jelly of your download/upload speeds xd.png

Scroll name: dustpuppy

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): ---

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox for Ubuntu

ISP: ---

Part of the world location: Europe

Ping: 19 ms

Download speed: 78.16 Mbps

Upload speed: 6.13 Mbps

Ping to DC average speed: 172 ms

Time of the above tests: just now

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: I just tried and it took no time at all

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: I used to have problems, but not lately

How often do you use fertility?: only for rare breeding (not very often)

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: ---

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: I used to see the flying shadow, now it just loads the fertility page

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: ---

Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?: I stopped using it for a while because they were, but now it works again

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: (maybe any add-ons or other page modifications you use?) I tested it with adblock enabled and disabled, no difference. I have NoScript partially enabled on DC.

Edited by dustpuppy

Scroll name: Moonlightelf

Computer OS/other relevant information (do you have a crap computer?): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS, processor is Intel® Core i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz. Laptop by Lenovo, model ThinkPad L540 (Definitely not crappy computer)

Browser/s + version/s: Firefox 46.0 (also have Google Chrome 50.0.2661.94 m, but never using it in DC)

ISP: DNA Oy

Part of the world location: Finland

Ping: 8 ms (Closest Finland server) / 122 ms (server in NY)

Download speed: 6.85 Mbps (Closest Finland server) / 6.93 Mbps (server in NY)

Upload speed: 0.48 Mbps (Closest Finland server) / 0.45 Mbps (server in NY)

Ping to DC average speed: 195ms

Time of the above tests: 5:47 PM (GMT+2)

How long does it typically take to load fertility?: Approximately 1 second to have some selectable dragons, 20ish seconds to load all the dragons on scroll.

Do you consistently have problems loading fertility?: Never had problems.

How often do you use fertility?: Very rarely, mostly on rarer dragons.

How often do you try to use fertility but can't?: Never had issues with using it.

How often do you see the flying dragon shadow when waiting for fertility to load when you're having problems? If you don't have the shadow, what do you see?: Never had issues.

If you've had issues with fertility, how long have they been occurring?: No issues.

Are your loading issues with fertility consistent?: No issues.

Is there any other information you want to share that might be relevant?: Nothing.

Just adding my two cents.

Edited by Moonlightelf

Sign in to follow this