TJ09

2016-04-14 - Moderator Applications

I applied for a position. I'm not too hopeful I'll get it, since there's so many more qualified people than myself. xd.png

But good luck to everyone who's applying!

This is something that is only accessible if you're TJ. But if you mod descriptions and you know the guidelines, you can probably be pretty confident in what you've done.

If you've never done descriptions, there'd be no history of your reviews or accuracy (accuracy being you making the same decision a mod later makes).

Thank you, SPS.

I have (pretty few compared to total dragon number) descriptions. Somehow I just can't seem to make them up fitting to the dragons.

It sounds intriguing enough though. Have to think on it smile.gif

For those of you who think, "Yeah so many will apply, so I won't", if you are really thinking you can do it, go for it.

I will say, and not intending to scare anyone off because IRC needs half-ops, is that moderating can sometimes make you cry. The team is great and its fantastic to have a warm loving supporting team, but there are times when the stess of the job can get you. Its not all unicorns and rainbows.

For those with warn histories, I don't see why not when it comes to applying. I think providing you aren't on warn at the time...

As for Description Mods, I hope we can get some. People ask me to approve descriptions, and really, I am not the best choice. My skills is somewhat lacking.

So good luck to those who try.

moderating can sometimes make you cry. The team is great and its fantastic to have a warm loving supporting team, but there are times when the stess of the job can get you. Its not all unicorns and rainbows.

This is something that anybody who applies for a moderator position needs to be deeply aware of. It's a fact: if you moderate a community of any size for a considerable length of time, you will end up dealing with something downright soul-crushing. I've been through that myself multiple times. It is not fun, but it comes with the territory.

And even if you think you're mentally prepared for such a thing, you'll quickly learn you aren't. I myself thought I could handle anything. I've been through some stuff that made me learn I can handle most things, but the most extreme of the extreme can break anybody.

For those with warn histories, I don't see why not when it comes to applying. I think providing you aren't on warn at the time...
Depends on the warn history. Mine from last year is rather extensive - so why bother to apply only to be rejected (again)?

So i sent my application for site discussusion and today another PM with the addition that i am moderation my group for board games and we play on a weekly base. ^^

Edited by Tigerkralle

Question: If you apply for more than one position, do you send a PM for each one? I did, and I want to make sure thats what you're supposed to do.

Good luck to all that apply, If I get selected, I look forward to working with you smile.gif

(so many good people from here)

I had a mini-answer to this planned out, but I don't want to answer based on faulty memory, so I am simply quoting this so it doesn't get lost.

(Also, make sure you're not applying for forum mod and descrip mod, as forum mods are descrip mods by proxy. ;3 )

So i sent my application for site discussusion and today another PM with the addition that i am moderation my group for board games and we play on a weekly base. ^^

Make sure that all relevant information is in one PM. I think I recall getting a partial application last time because someone sent in a last minute addition sentence to their app and that's all we saw.

So word of advice to everyone: Save a copy of your application. As well, it's a good idea to sit on it for a day to check for typos, confusing sentences, and for those forgotten additions. But if you do save a copy, even if you've already sent in an app, when you send it the second time, you can make sure to send a complete application, not just an additional sentence. As well, us seeing a full application will look better than sending in a few. ^^

Is there an age requirement? ;n;

There is no specified age requirement; however, introductions can filter out some pretty adult content sometimes, so it is definitely preferable if users are old enough to deal with that if they have to. Also, mods in general do have to sometimes mod inappropriate sigs/avvies.

As well, age is going to semi-correlate with maturity, so age could play a factor in if you're accepted or not. However, there are a lot of users who don't share their age, and we're not going to base our whole decision just on your age. Your application, post history, etc. is going to play a bigger part in becoming a mod.

Is there an age requirement? ;n;

I think it depends on actual maturity than actual age. I have seen some 12 year olds who totally blew my mind when I learned they weren't at least 20. And some 40 year olds (myself) who act way younger.

Thanks wymsy for confirming that. there have been days I have felt like throwing in the towel. I love the community which is why I haven't yet.

(Also, make sure you're not applying for forum mod and descrip mod, as forum mods are descrip mods by proxy. ;3 )

Socky, if this is the case, then should I delete my description mod application? I sent 2 in, the other was for Help section Mod. I made sure I tracked both applications, so if the description application was not read yet, I can delete it.

Edit: On second thought, can I keep both active? This way if I am not chosen for the Help position, would I still be considered for the Description one?

Edited by xeyla

Edit: On second thought, can I keep both active? This way if I am not chosen for the Help position, would I still be considered for the Description one?

Sure, that's fair. :3

Hopefully the team will gain enough fresh blood.

@SockPuppet Strangler

I like the tracking message function. So i put all things together and now it is only one PM. Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you think it's necessary to have a lvl 4 on the forum for applying for a Description Moderator? I would really love to apply for it but I'm apparently on lvl 3 here. Should I PM or I have no chance?

I applied for help mod, good luck everyone! Description mod also sounds pretty nice, I like reading people's descriptions tongue.gif

Do you think it's necessary to have a lvl 4 on the forum for applying for a Description Moderator? I would really love to apply for it but I'm apparently on lvl 3 here. Should I PM or I have no chance?

If you've got a good track record of reviewing descriptions, then that is most likely enough to be considered.

I'm interested, but bad at writing applications.

I am also bad at writing applications

also I do not have anywhere NEAR 200 posts biggrin.gif

*snip*

So to clarify, are we able to do this?

And to again clarify something else, all forum mods are description mods as well? Or did I get that fact incorrect?

Thanks~

I plan on writing up my applications soon after these questions are clarified smile.gif

So to clarify, are we able to do this?

And to again clarify something else, all forum mods are description mods as well? Or did I get that fact incorrect?

Thanks~

I plan on writing up my applications soon after these questions are clarified smile.gif

Yes, that is fine. smile.gif

And as far as I'm aware, forum mods are not automatically description mods. I know for certain I am not a description mod! biggrin.gif

Yes, that is fine. smile.gif

And as far as I'm aware, forum mods are not automatically description mods. I know for certain I am not a description mod! biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Oh okay, thought I saw that somewhere lol

So guess I'm applying for both! Hope that I am accepted for at least one of them, both would be a dream come true biggrin.gif

All forum mods are definitely also descrip mods by proxy. I sent you a PM. I'm sorry that we gave you such a bad intro you never knew this. D: That is totally on us. I do sincerely apologize.

~

Another tip: you don't have to write your app completely alone. Particularly if you feel you don't write a good app - have someone check it for you after you write it! Ask them for some critique until your app is good enough to submit. I never edit my resume or write a cover letter and send it in without getting someone to check over it. No reason you can't do the same with your app. :3