DragonKami

ASMR

I just found out about this, I'm not really sure how to explain it though. I really just wanted if this is a thing that most or all humans can experience or if it's only certain people. I also wanted to discuss this with other people and get your opinions on it. Some people have an argument that this is sexual, but there is no actually sexual content, but that's what I want to talk about! It's basically whispering and using objects to make sounds that give you hard to explain feeling. Some people think it's a fetish type thing, and I some times, it kind of does seem that way.

Let me just stop rambling and give you a few links so you can see what I mean.

And if you don't trust me, here are the links in non simplified version. I don't blame you, people do weird things with links...

To be honest, there are sexual ones out there, but these aren't them.

I've heard about this stuff. I can understand how this could be interpreted as fetish-y, but that doesn't seem like most of the intended audience.

I can see the use for these? I have a thing with some sounds though, where some just really.. grate on my nerves. (There's actually a term for it but I can't remember it. Just that it's commonly related to autism). A couple of these videos aggravated that slightly, but a couple were nice and relaxing. And.. immersive? Is that the term I'm looking for? It also probably just depends on the individual person and what they like.

But if we're talk about relaxing sounds, I prefer this site over most ASMR I've come across. I haven't been using it a lot lately, but there's a LOT of options over there which are nice to have on in the background (including an ASMR one!).

Do you find ASMR videos pretty relaxing though?

Edited by ~Magpie~

I've heard about this stuff. I can understand how this could be interpreted as fetish-y, but that doesn't seem like most of the intended audience.

I can see the use for these? I have a thing with some sounds though, where some just really.. grate on my nerves. (There's actually a term for it but I can't remember it. Just that it's commonly related to autism). A couple of these videos aggravated that slightly, but a couple were nice and relaxing. And.. immersive? Is that the term I'm looking for? It also probably just depends on the individual person and what they like.

But if we're talk about relaxing sounds, I prefer this site over most ASMR I've come across. I haven't been using it a lot lately, but there's a LOT of options over there which are nice to have on in the background (including an ASMR one!).

Do you find ASMR videos pretty relaxing though?

I'm not sure if it's relaxing, I'm not sure what I feel about it, it kinda makes me a little bit uneasy sometimes, other times it's relaxing.

I never liked it before I knew it was a thing though. (This still happens today) Whenever I get my hair cut, and the clippers get close to my right ear I get the ASMR feeling, and the only way to stop it would be to move, causing my neck to get cut. So I have some bad memories.

I tried to explain this feeling to my parents and siblings but, as you know, I suck at explaining things. And I guess it feels good? Like I said, I'm not sure how exactly I feel about it. When I first watched one of those videos I was twitching a lot and removed my right ear bud to stop it, because I didn't know that was the thing.

Edit- Whoa, you're right about That Site, some of that stuff is pretty relaxing.

Edited by DragonKami

No joke, I first learned about ASMR through Toy Story 2. When I was little, I used to get shivers watching the scene from that movie where Woody gets cleaned, and I never knew why. (Favorite bits: the music; the eyeballs rolling around; Woody's eyes getting cleaned; paint on the shoe; drawers opening; the music in general) But I didn't know it was ASMR until I looked the scene up on YT and found out that many other people felt the same way.

I'm not sure if it's relaxing, I'm not sure what I feel about it, it kinda makes me a little bit uneasy sometimes, other times it's relaxing.

I never liked it before I knew it was a thing though. (This still happens today) Whenever I get my hair cut, and the clippers get close to my right ear I get the ASMR feeling, and the only way to stop it would be to move, causing my neck to get cut. So I have some bad memories.

I tried to explain this feeling to my parents and siblings but, as you know, I suck at explaining things. And I guess it feels good? Like I said, I'm not sure how exactly I feel about it. When I first watched one of those videos I was twitching a lot and removed my right ear bud to stop it, because I didn't know that was the thing.

Edit- Whoa, you're right about That Site, some of that stuff is pretty relaxing.

I think we both got the same feeling from it then. Because for the most part, those ASMR give me the feeling of something.. going down my spine? It's actually borderline anxiety-inducing, and also not. Which makes approximately no sense. >.> The only word I can definitively apply here is "intense."

Also yeah, I'm glad you think so! My only recommendation is to heed the warnings on a couple of those. For example, I checked out the Shepard's tone one and I nearly had a panic attack after trying to listen to it out of curiosity. And don't try the Deserted (or Oblivion) Soundscapes unless you're setting the atmosphere to write a creepy story or something. o o; They're not kidding about the anxiety stuff on some. But most of them aren't like that.

Also re: bob_jones, huh that's interesting. I've seen that movie so many times, but I never got that ASMR feeling until I put my headphones in and listened to it. I can't say I find it entirely pleasant all the way through myself though.

Edited by ~Magpie~

I've been listening to and watching ASMR videos for a few years now. Some of the people making the videos (ASMRtists) create them to help people relax and relieve stress, while some others have different intentions. You can tell from the first video you watch of someone's why they're making the video. It's either to be relaxing, to [somehow] seduce, or, the wacky combination of both.

Everyone responds differently to ASMR, and what's nice is that there are a lot of videos to choose from. Roleplays and sound effects are two main categories. I think that the soft spoken trigger is my favorite, which is awesome since so many ASMRtists make videos with it. smile.gif

:-/ It somewhat gives me the creeps when I watch those videos with hushed whisperings.

I think I'll prefer the Toy Story 2 clip of Woody being revamped (i.e. cleaned)

well that was weird to hear first thing in the morning haha at least the "brushing your ears" kind of bothered me

first, i'm not familiar with this stuff, no. i dont like anything from this selection, i guess, but there might be other things that i would like if i actually wanted to look into this further

it being a fetish thing for some people is probably true -- but just because some people might have a fetish for it doesn't make it strictly fetish content. p:

i can honestly see this kind of thing benefitting those who stim with sounds. like us autistic people, i wouldn't doubt there are some autistics who would love these videos. i make repetitive sounds myself to calm down or feel good, just dont like it in my headphones :3

The ones that cause my relaxation are lock sounds, slime, colors, and kinetic sand.

im thinking about "lock sounds" and i have to say, that would definitely be relaxing to me actually

I love ASMR videos! I don't often get the 'tingles' from them but I really listen to them because I find it very relaxing and soothing in a way. ASMR is definitely odd when you first watch it, but strangely enough I don't really ever get second hand embarrassment from it which considering how easily that happens to me is amazing. It definitely puts my mind in a chill place. Then again I stay completely away from the weird stuff and stay with my favorite people lol.

If you haven't experienced tingles or don't really know about it, I guess I'd compare it to if you've ever had your hair brushed by someone you care about/trusted and got a tingly feeling in your scalp? It's like that. It's also similar to if you get chills/goosebumps from listening to someone sing with a really beautiful voice, but less intense than that.

As far as it being a fetish or being sexual, I mean...you can turn it into that sure but then you can do that with most things. wink.gif If it was a sexual thing I wouldn't be exclusively listening to women considering I'm straight lol.

Edit: Oh and it isn't always whispering either, most people seem to like that but I don't. Talking softly is much more relaxing to me, maybe I just don't trust whispering. xd.png

Edited by Dwemeri

I listen to it on occasion before going to sleep. Don't really get the tingles too much, but it is strangely relaxing. Anything with talking is too weird for me, though--plus, I end up trying to focus on what they say.

I don't regularly make a point to listen to ASMR - I can't really get away with most of it.

I'm ok with, for example, the sound of crumpling paper perhaps, or a personal favourite sound of mine - the hissing sound a fizzy drink makes when you open it / pour it. *_*

But I cannot get away with anyone whispering in those sort of videos, personally, it just creeps me out. If I wanted someone to whisper in my ear, I'd ask my fiance to do so xd.png

I've always gotten ASMR from watching other people draw intently, especially if they are drawing a picture for me or to show me, seeing someone draw lines slowly or intently, being drawn on (as a kid, me and my best friends used to draw on each other's arms in class with textas), or having my hair brushed gently by my mother.

This is reaching back over the last 20 years, and I only recently found the name for it.

I just always thought of it like a hypnotic, warm, calming sensation from being in a calm, receptive state around somebody else who's focused intently on you or something you don't have to put any effort into. It makes sense from the "evolutionary origin" theory; that we get this nice cozy fuzzy feeling/ASMR as positive reinforcement for being still and calm while someone else tends to us or grooms us. Like when my Mum would brush my hair, or my friends would gently draw on me, with all their focus on me, or when I was watching someone make some art that I was able to passively experience and enjoy.

Whatever the reason or mechanics behind it, once I understood ASMR to be the sensation I've experienced throughout my life, it was pretty cool to find out other people feel it too!

As for the misunderstanding that it is sexual, it's definitely NOT a sexual feeling for me. No more than a massage has to be sexual. It feels nice, lovely, relaxing, but not arousing. Just nice. I'm certain that it can be an arousing sensation for some people, but that is just because everybody is different. ASMR does not have to be "sexual".

Also, the whispering creeps me out too! Haha.

I have literally never heard of this before but now i'm kinda like. Whoa, this is actually pretty cool. It was relaxing, and as someone who doesn't relax often, I was surprised. Getting myself to relax is usually nigh impossible but I might have to watch more of these and do some research. This is really super cool!

I think this ASMR has become "a thing" of late.. There're lot of those youtube whisperers plus all those "oddly satisfying" videos and pictures that have been circulating in social medias.

Personally I like those touching things (tongue.gif) brushing hair, touching/blowing softly on skin. And the situation where some one would touch me like that is rather intimate. So it's no surprise to me that some might think that it's purely sexual or even some sort of fetish. I just get comfort from it. The feeling of acceptance.

user posted image

This is my all time favourite thing.

I don't know why but sounds usually make me tense and I have this irk -moment (nothing relaxing about it). Scratching of a chalkboard, screeching sound from knife on plate. Those are the all known sounds that are make your hair stand up. But I get same feeling from cicadas, fizzy drinks, sound of snow in -25 degrees C, cracking of joints just to name few. Cracking joint sound is the most horrible I get shivers just thinking about it!

I like popping bubble wrap but it has nothing to do with the sound (I hate the sound). I like the feel of the firm bubble right before it bursts. Odd I know. biggrin.gif