Natayah

Player Activities & Events

Also is there a thread out there that already has love/help for creating zombies, including the dates when people can start for earliest advantage, especially those of us wanting to try and get some of the different species and sprites of zombies this year?

Zombie advice

First Post: Working up to the Kill (Emotionally)

- Prepare Yourself

- Zombie Hatchies

- Zombie adults

Second Post: General Zombie advice

- How to get a Zombie

- Tips and Tricks

- Beyond Zombies

- Courtesy, Rumors, and Facts

- Misc. Info in Trivia Form

Socks, you are the bestest as always (although all our mods are rocking, and our newest mods are also kicking some serious bootie too so super kudos to you all!!)!!

Purplehaze, you know you rock and I'm glad you are finding this helpful because there is so much good out there, but it gets buried and you have to go spelunking for treasures (I'll spell that right later).

That is why I need you guys to also post stuff, even if it's just a repost, so I can see if there is anything missing, and so we can reaffirm for people and offer suggestions so when they are in communication with others, they will have handy lists of things people recommend. Each person will have a different (or slightly different) "Essentials List", but we learn from each other in case there was something we didn't realize or something else we can share in various circumstances.

And I posted in both threads and updated the 2nd & 3rd Posts with Links to both threads so hopefully people find them helpful!! Thanks so much!!

Edited by natayah

And now for something completely different...

I don't know how many of you are aware of the Approved Descriptions thread.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=117376

Up till now, it's been an alphabetical list of described dragons, regardless of who wrote the description.

Anyone's welcome to have their dragons added to the list but...

I'm considering a change to the thread:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6845076

(and also read the post after it for a sample)

It could add another dimension to your cave/forum play!

I'd love to hear your input on the possible change.

Lagie, I have loved that site for a long time and will link it to the first posts (as well as the Holiday Kin/Line Breeding Events) and hope everyone checks it out, it will inspire you to want to do a few descriptions!!

I might be away today doing Critical Role... maybe ...

ETA: Added "Going Green" Dragon Collecting Project w/ Prizes to Posts - Check it Out if you haven't already!

Edited by natayah

Thank you to natayah for adding my contest to the list!

After three no-eggs in a row, I've decided to impatiently throw open the gates of the next 2g prize contest. Whenever I do have an egg, I'll post an end date.

Miss Elizabeth Bennett's 2g Prize Contest!

Edited by toyofubl

We have new Sig Banners for the Thread from Tabs! I think I'm just gonna stick with the Thread Topic as it is as people seem ok with it as it is! I am also updating various threads and events on the first posts. I assume by now you have seen the new August site updates (if not go to News ASAP). One of the big updates is the ability to make zombies all year long. So you don't have to wait until Halloween. If you want advice, or to help give advice, or experiment, please continue to visit the threads already set up for this so we can work together!

And if anyone else has anything else they'd like to add as comments while I do my slow update, please feel free. Always ok to throw out your thoughts, give some advice, and/or just introduce yourself. Or if there is an idea that you see was thrown out but never continued or want to see something done, let us know so we can do it!

Hello, I poked natayah over PM and apparently she was going to reach out to me about this thread anyway, so I'm posting about it here.

I am the OP for the So Your Dragons Refuse to Go Near Each Other Thread, a place where users can record and discuss the refusal function outside of the suggestion thread for tweaking or getting rid of it. It had a lot of activity back when it first opened, but the activity has been petering out as of late.

With the new fertility update, we thought it would be good to bring attention back to it. I'm also working on updating the thread's spreadsheet with more complete stats, so any help would be appreciated. The info is all there. It just needs to be added.

And I guess that's it!

Alright guys, just wanted to announce that there is a flash raffle going on over on my raffle thread, so make sure to go enter that if you'd like before time runs out! Just follow the link in my signature or use this link here!

Flash Raffle!

Breed: Soulpeace (Incuhatchable!)

Lineage: 2nd Generation (Lineage)

Donor: Radda11

End Time: 12:45 AM EST

Greetings,

I am going to need some assistance with this thread. Not anything super serious. That is going to be a variety of tasks including general posting, finding threads/projects/events/people who should or could be added to promote & list & see if they wish to use this, connecting people together for event ideas as they seem to have common interests, keeping up on events in general so we can update things, and/or just general promotion, support, or directing people here to use this thread as they need.

A lot of these are very simple tasks, and you can do any single or multiples if you want. I don't know how quickly I will or won't be needing to do some temporary irl work, so anything to help would be great. A group of people doing small tiny portions together is fine. No worries!

Fortunately the thread is mostly self sustaining, we've gotten most of what we need started, the holidays are coming and will be the majority of player focus, and we've helped to promote & get things started and they basically just need to keep having support from people, and if we can grow that, the better. Really simple stuff.

If you are interested in any part of this, please feel free to send me a PM and/or post. If you want to send me a long private message you can email at my username at gmail - thanks!

BTW - New Sig Banners - Appreciate those who have added them, if you haven't seen them please consider them or just spreading the word how you normally do. Thanks so mucho!

Also if you use this thread, please consider just posting a hello every once in awhile or something you'd like to discuss so it doesn't look entirely like I talk to myself all the time. People have been doing this more, but some of you are shy. And we are going to still work on the shy-ness and friendliness and helping others together to overcome these things and make connections together. Because it is a key trait of some of the most wonderful people, but together we'll at least get you more comfortable with other nice people in this game, and as time goes on you will find the online stuff does help the irl stuff.

Much love to you all. I am glad this project has gotten some traction cuz it has been my ultimate goal for many years, I just never really got around to it and no one beat me to it, and I'm so glad to see the direct and indirect influence we've had on others. This is only going to grow and ripple out. It's not just internet stuffs. We do also have impacts on people irl, although maybe not life changing, small positives grow into larger ones. And that is the ultimate gift we give to ourselves by helping, supporting, and encouraging others in positive ways.

So if you have "advice", something you feel strongly about, tricks you've learned that you think other people would like to know, want to promote or share any threads or devices you've found useful for whatever aspect of this game, please go right ahead. You don't need my permission. This thread is for YOU and US. As long as it's positive and/or helpful (in any way, even tiny), you go for it!

Edited by natayah

Quick Easy Post - Yay! New August Release, Lots of Dragons, proceeded by really neat variety of Game/Site Mechanic Changes

While Enjoying the New releases, I imagine your scroll space will get filled up quickly, so here are a few quick things you can do to pass the time in between:

1. Breed some pretty and/or useful dragons to the AP. The AP time is actually pretty close to incuhatchable as it is, but why not see if we can do something to make hatching eggs even easier in between waiting for our new dragons to hatch! (Prefer Nice Lineaged Pretty Lines, but if its a Red, Pink, or Trio, I'm not gonna say that messies of those aren't useful).

2. Share some of your Gifting, Breeding, Favorite Threads, and/or your personal DC experience. Say Hi! Introduce yourself, and tell us something about why you like to "give" to the game in any way you do. Or if you want to bring up a topic or offer advice, please go ahead.

3. Take some time to inventory your Holiday Dragons, make sure you are Prepping for them. And take some time to go thru some old friends or people you respect on the forums and send them a hello if it has been awhile since you have talked to them. Sometimes just a thinking of you or thank you for being an awesome person is a great way to perk up someone's day! If someone has ever really inspired you or done something you really appreciated, it is always nice to take the time to consider writing that to them. Even if it takes a bit to compose, it is often nice to send BEFORE the Holidays. Everyone always remembers old friends during that time. Let's start remembering them a little earlier if you feel inspired!

Thanks and hope you are enjoying the new August Releases! Make sure to keep an eye on the various Player Activity and Events going on. If you haven't commented or updated something (such as a thread you really enjoy, support, or idea you have thoughts or feedback on) for awhile, there is plenty of time to get caught up on your forum time!

Edited by natayah

Many of you may be familiar with The Mentoring Project. For those of you who are not, it is a program that has existed since 2009 that pairs new players who need a little help with experienced players who are willing to offer them a little guidance.

We are currently accepting applications for new Mentors. If you have basic knowledge of Dragon Cave and the forums and would like to help new players get started in the game, come on over and fill out an application. Just scroll down the first post until you come to the big green heading "APPLICATION PROCESS TO BECOME A MENTOR" and follow the instructions you will find there. smile.gifWe are especially in need of Mentors who are fluent enough in a language other than English to mentor someone in that language!

I would just like to say that we have had many well-qualified applicants and will be announcing new mentors very soon. However, the need still exists for mentors who speak languages other than English! It is very difficult to mentor someone when there is a language barrier. If you speak a language other than English fluently enough to help a new player, I would really encourage you to apply. Most students don't need extensive help, so a basic knowledge of egg-raising and some familiarity with the forums is really all you need. That and a smattering of patience. xd.png

I would just like to say that we have had many well-qualified applicants and will be announcing new mentors very soon. However, the need still exists for mentors who speak languages other than English! It is very difficult to mentor someone when there is a language barrier. If you speak a language other than English fluently enough to help a new player, I would really encourage you to apply. Most students don't need extensive help, so a basic knowledge of egg-raising and some familiarity with the forums is really all you need. That and a smattering of patience. xd.png

Friends, if you or anyone you know speaks another language than English, really, as long as they have the basics down (and that isn't really that difficult once you've played a few months), please ask them to consider applying to join the Mentorship Program. Even if they don't feel they are "qualified," they might want to consider talking to some of the existing mentors and/or asking to try it on a trial basis to see if it something they can help with. Because really, if they run into some question they just don't know the answer to, it's not like mentors can't reach out to other mentors and/or resources to find help, and/or recommend where the individual go to find additional assistance if it is really more complex than the basics.

The Forum has a LOT more threads these days that help with a lot more things, and also threads that exist to organize these things (such as these), so it is so much easier to get help as a newer player than it used to be. I would say for those who don't feel they are an "all knowing" being, that is ok. Sometimes you just need to have an idea of where you might find a general subject, and there is nothing wrong with leading a person to the right place.

So if anyone feels shy, please encourage them to consider it as we really want to give a warm welcome to players all over the world. We have players all over the world, but we don't want the English basis to scare them away or keep them from enjoying more aspects of this game. I know many players who put in their sigs and profiles that English is their second language and they aren't comfortable with it, but when I look at how they post and speak, I think it is just them being overly fearful and/or shy/anxious. Because I wouldn't know if it wasn't stated. Let's make sure we do all we can to welcome all players into our game. Because there are quite a few awesome players who exist beyond the "English as a First or Primary Language" group. In fact, I'd say most of the world is that way!

Friends, if you or anyone you know speaks another language than English, really,  as long as they have the basics down (and that isn't really that difficult once you've played a few months), please ask them to consider applying to join the Mentorship Program. Even if they don't feel they are "qualified," they might want to consider talking to some of the existing mentors and/or asking to try it on a trial basis to see if it something they can help with. Because really, if they run into some question they just don't know the answer to, it's not like mentors can't reach out to other mentors and/or resources to find help, and/or recommend where the individual go to find additional assistance if it is really more complex than the basics.

Thank you again, Natayah, for encouraging people to think about it. One thing I had thought of was perhaps keeping some sort of list of people who don't really want to be mentors, but are bilingual and might be able to help in translation when we run into a problem. So for anyone who would fit that description, send me a PM and we will talk! biggrin.gif And it really isn't as hard to be a mentor as you might think!

Edited by purplehaze

I think that is a great idea. Besides, I think a lot of people on that list, when they see it isn't as "scary" as they might have thought, are likely to want to do it as full mentors. But even if they prefer only when needed or only to translate, that is a great help to many players! Thanks Purplehaze!

So for Mentors and On-Call Translators, if you speak a language other than English, please contact Purplehaze because it's an important (and amazing) service to offer to our ever growing player base!

Things to Do/Know/Discuss this week:

1. Want to participate in the upcoming HolidayKin/Holiday Lines Mass Breeding Event Coming Up? You need to make sure you do not breed your Holiday lines ANY more until the event starts otherwise, they may not be available during the event! Want more info, Check out the

HolidayKin/Lines Breeding Events or see the 2nd/3rd Post for the Events Calendar.

2. The AP has been lower timed over the past days. And this is a fantastic way to hatch and incuhatch eggs to either regift to others (including posting random teleports in gifting threads that allow and checking out Gifting Thread for potential Giftees) or build up your own scroll (including freezies). Want to keep it this way? Consider using the stretch between NOW and the Holidaykin Breeding Event to dust off some of your Non-Holiday Lines and breed those. Even if you have a lot of dragons you can pace yourself! As always, I do encourage breeding pretty/nice stuff to the AP with the one exception of Reds and Pinks. Those are great for many even messy. Although the new Aeons might also start fitting into that category too.

3. Did you enjoy the Fantastic New Release? Lots of eggs, lots of varieties in both dragon types and common to less common for all types to find something to enjoy! Which were your favorites? Also a good time to consider that if during your hunting you misclick and get something you do NOT want, you can always abandon it to the AP for others to enjoy a AP new release with less time. OR if you are going to be away for 5+ hours and have some extra egg slot(s), consider grabbing maybe a few Biome Blockers to drop to the AP when you get back. I don't see nearly as many CBs these days in the AP and I miss those low timed babies! And it is also always nice to consider regifting to those who may still be in need and/or have trouble catching them.

4. Ready for a new Clya Lotto/Raffle? She is currently back and wanting feedback about when we want to see the NEXT raffle happen. So go give some feedback? Do you want it NOW? Do you want it in a few days or longer cuz you still need to hunt? Are you just excited a new raffle/lotto is pending? Go show love and feedback!

Clya's Raffles

5. Please leave a comment about something if you can. It's great if it is topical and something you'd like to see discussed or added or highlighted, but that said, I know many people come here as soon as a post is posted to check for updates and then scurry away. Which is totally cool except if it is multiple of posts of me just posting, I have to take longer in between updates so it isn't entirely me talking to myself (which I am totally down with talking to myself). If nothing else, how do you feel about the timing of player events in regards to large vs small release and/or holiday releases? With this being a large release, I specifically waited because I knew so much focus was going to be on the New Dragons. What do you think?

Edited by natayah

I'll be breeding for the holidaykin event. Also, if anyone is interested, I'm considering giving purple dragons to people that help me update the refusal thread.

Ok, we have a few big events going on over this Holiday Weekend:

Holiday-kin/Lines Breeding Event Main Day Sept 3, Event Runs Sept 2-5 (so can start today)! Don't forget about regifting nice eggs and/or hatchlings you may find and decide not to personally keep.

Clya's Sept 5 Lotto - Donations & Raffles Coming Up ASAP Keep Eyes Open! Maybe consider keeping some "nicer" breedings or hunting catches for this?

Sept 4 Descrip Review Bash - Join the Mods & Descrip Review Task Force (anyone who wants to volunteer) in helping to approve & write descriptions, give feedback, and/or share and celebrate the fun of Descriptions & Reviewing. Feel free to post in the thread, join the chatroom #descripdoom on IRC, or just go at it on your own. Not familiar with the Description Force and Chatroom? Visit the Description Force Thread for details, advice and fun!

For any "nice breeding" our thread (and most people I know in some form or another) heavily support & recommend breeding patterned nice lines as much as possible. The only exception for some would be for essential BSAs requiring larger numbers like Reds & Pinks (perhaps Aeons). Purple, Magi and Bolt probably should still stick with nicer lines whenever possible although their demand may grow.

So in between your hunting and breeding, you can also dust off other nice lovelies to add to the fun! Also, if the AP time remains incuhatchable, consider picking up some eggs, hatching them, and then regifting/re-releasing them!

Vampire Lovers, with lower timed AP you can bite some eggs to keep yourself and/or drop back to the AP and/or forum regift to spread the Vampire Love!

Also, with the ongoing catching from the last release and ongoing lower AP times, please remember to give back to at least one (if not more) of the hatcheries so we can get these eggs hatched! Consider running the hatchery viewer/autoviewer in the background (if you need to pause it to go hunting that is fine!) and/or some clicks!

There are a lot of "Research Projects" popping up lately to help unlock and track some of the "new secrets" we've gotten with the recent releases and game/mechanic updates. These include things like Fertility & Refusals, Dark Lumina vs Luminae Dropping/Breeding Secrets and more. Please consider adding your data and/or keeping an eye on these and others. The more we work together, the quicker we can unlock the secrets of the universe and it makes our game play much easier!

Finally, if you are looking for something else to just bide your time for some quick fun, Consider a Look thru the Forum Games thread for lots of quick easy fun!

Enjoy your Weekend & Feel free to Promote or Talk about anything else you'd like to share!

Edited by natayah

You missed the Sept 4th description reviewing bash!

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=9284639

DOH I knew there was something else, thanks Lagie, I'll update both posts right now! And see you guys online. I'll also add that as things in between the breeding and hunting as people get bored (and/or flee to avoid their family or other scary people)!

Hey everyone, September has just begun. I'd like to point out that if your birthday this month, it's never too late to visit Happy Birthday Gifting. You may score an egg or few from our donors! Just remember the little instruction in the rules if you sign up, and keep the rarity tiers in mind.

If you're in a giving mood, please consider gifting something there, since our donors are the backbone of HBG.

Hey everyone! Tomorrow I'm hosting a Labor Day/"Unofficial End of Summer Raffle!" so right now you can donate prizes for people to win!

See Here!

Sorry it's kinda simplistic/sudden, I've got limited time on my hands right now >w<

I hope everyone has been enjoying their Holiday Weekend (or weekend for those with just a normal weekend). Please remember the Holiday Breeding Event is still ongoing. If you haven't started, you still can. And if you have, but have other nice things to breed, please consider doing so. That AP is being stubborn at staying just above 5 days. If we can get it down to 5 days and lower, things are much easier to incuhatch.

Also, Clya is taking donations. I know many of you are stuffed to the gills between new releases, getting Holiday Mate prep, hunting in the Ap and other special goodies. However, if you have even just one free egg slot, see if you can grab an egg to incuhatch and consider donating a hatchling. And if you do have space, please feel free to advertise so in the thread so that people can consider breeding something nice and you can donate on their and your behalf since you have the space. Just so we have a good turnout for people to enjoy.

There is a lot of fun forum stuff going on all over the place. Check them out and have fun! Please consider to support our people who put in effort to try and make DC more fun for other players!

Hello! I'm Amy and I love giving gifts to random people or friends. I wanted to do this for a while and decided to give it a go - I am opening a list to give cb rares to people who have 5 or less of the cbs of that certain rare dragon and also (no matter how many of what you have) free breeding requests. I know there is a lot of threads for people to give gifts but I feel like this will make it easier for me to track down people and so on. For now I opened slots for the most recent 'popular rares' but I may add other kinds of lists in the future. Depending on people's reaction to this. If there is anyone who is willing to help out - feel free to PM me smile.gifHow to get on my list~

Thoughts about this, anyone?

Hello! I'm Amy and I love giving gifts to random people or friends. I wanted to do this for a while and decided to give it a go - I am opening a list to give cb rares to people who have 5 or less of the cbs of that certain rare dragon and also (no matter how many of what you have) free breeding requests. I know there is a lot of threads for people to give gifts but I feel like this will make it easier for me to track down people and so on. For now I opened slots for the most recent 'popular rares' but I may add other kinds of lists in the future. Depending on people's reaction to this. If there is anyone who is willing to help out - feel free to PM me smile.gifHow to get on my list~

Thoughts about this, anyone?

I think this is a really fantastic idea. And this is probably a good place to start for posting that. If you want, I can link you on the front page as a resource since you are doing something like that uniquely. If a couple of catchers get together and decide they want to catch Certain Uncommon - Rare type dragons for people with their own various limitations, I would be really happy to suggest at that point you all start a gifting thread and each person list their own requirements. Or I can just create a Google Spreadsheet and you all can link and list from here. Whichever you prefer!

I might suggest adding a Gold or Silver Trophy as a base requirement for you catching certain CBs, not to be mean to younger players, but I feel until you've been playing that long, it establishes that you have put work into building your collection, have caught and raised dragons on your own, developed a play style and have begun considering the utility of certain factors, and may have even tried to attain these dragons on your own to some degree. Unless you specifically want to help younger players too. Then that is up to you. But I tend to find people with Bronze Trophies only aren't always going to stick around. By the time they hit silver or Gold, they are more invested and less likely to just take off shortly after being gifted something nice.

Finally, I have always had an open idea pending that if you guys want, we can create a large google spreadsheet for any and all types of gifters and people taking gifting requests to input a link, put what they do, their rules, link to their own spreadsheet or references, and put the link a the front page first few posts and make that easier to find. Is that something anyone would be interested in doing (and/or organizing, I'm not gonna lie, I would love someone else to make the spreadsheet, I'm happy to link it, I'll make a basic thing and someone else can refine it if they like), and any comments on any of the above?

Thanks~!