Natayah

Player Activities & Events

Hey guys, Polar again. Wanted to tell you all that I have a new round of raffles on, currently the list contains a Silver Tinsel, a Chrono Xenowyrm, a EG Magi, and an EG Soul Ward. If you're interested in winning any of those, drop by my raffle thread by clicking the banner in my signature, or by clicking this link!

I think it's important to mention as well. I asked Sock this morning to clean my thread, so hopefully that gets done when she's awake again. I'll start another Giveaway once my thread is squeaky clean. I also think it's important to keep trades clean as well. I dislike looking through the trading section and seeing the trades still up with broken links. No crossing out, no words saying "traded." Just a regular trading ad still up with broken links. I can't force people to edit their trade posts, but I can encourage them!

I'm working on cleaning out the Trading section, some of the threads have gone too long without a culling. This is a time-consuming task, so I can't promise a timetable on when everything will be pared down in there, but rest assured I'm on it.

Popping in to say hi (especially after the revival thread was locked).

1. Who Are You? Please feel free to introduce yourself!

Hi. I'm Jazeki. I first started playing DC shortly before the Valentine's 2009 holiday. I had no idea what was going on and consequently missed every Val' I clicked on. I joined the forums that July since I figured that I could get help with how to play. I've been poking around DC ever since. I try to be nice, but I sometimes have very strong opinions about things.

2. What is your favorite Threads, Events, Practices, Habits, Tools or anything else when it comes to Gifting and Helping in the world of DC?

My favorite gifting thread is the departure thread, but I sometimes give away things in the EATW dragonmarket too. I keep a spreadsheet for holiday dragons and Thuweds in my signature for people to look at if they want to request something. I also am almost always open to breeding requests (if asked for nicely).

3. What advice would you give to people who wanted to become more involved gifters and/or gift more or nicer items than they feel they currently have? Or is there a question you have about Gifting and Helping? Would you like someone you can PM for various ongoing questions related to this? If so, post it!

I'd suggest gifting BSA dragons and nice 2nd or 3rd gen dragons. If you can, try hatching your eggs before you give them away. Other people seem to love hatchlings. I also suggest giving away 2nd gens of new releases just after they come out to help people that missed the initial release. Advertising that you gift/breed in your signature works too.

4. Is there something you would like to post about for a discussion point for feedback or just an opinion?

I'd like to perhaps plan a large forum-wide event in the future to take care of downtime between holidays and new releases (as was mentioned in the Revival thread).

5. Have you had difficult experiences with gifting and/or helping that you found a way to overcome? Or just an experience you need help overcoming? As long as it is posted in a non-negative manner, it is ok to post it if the intention is to get positive responses on how to not get frustrated and resolve the manner to better benefit everyone.

Holiday gifting used to be a huge concern for me. In the past, I would advertise that I would breed holiday dragons for people and users would request a number of eggs/breeds/pairings. Then, when it came time for me to breed, I would be stuck with eggs for hours or days on end or I would just not hear from users who had initially requested eggs. This would take up my scroll space and put a damper on my personal holiday goals. And many of the users didn't seem very grateful that I was holding their eggs or breeding for them

Now, I do not publically advertise that I breed holidays anymore (outside of my signature). I also put a deadline for users. Once that deadline passes, I don't take any more holiday requests. In the time between the deadline and the actual holiday, I send out notes to everyone who has requested to make sure that they still want their eggs. Those that don't respond are removed from the list.

Then, when holiday breeding arrives, I send out another PM that lets everyone know when I am online and breeding (and I do this all week long). Once the user responds, I breed for them and they get a certain amount of time to pick up their egg or eggs before they are abandoned or given away. This is done to keep the breeding moving and free up necessary scroll space. At the end of the event, if users have not responded to my PMs, I breed those eggs to the AP. This might sound a little harsh, but it's a whole lot better than having over 100 requests for eggs and having to accommodate everyone else.

@Jazeki - I would like to first personally apologize to you because you were one of two people I had specifically planned on reaching out to based on your response in the Revival Thread and want to continue this discussion but I need to sleep due to irl things and I will probably continue this discussion soon if others want to jump in before me please go ahead!

The general idea is a lot of various Player Involved Events running either at the same time, or within the same time period, or one after another to extend the activities, to be very special and to give the player base something to look forward to and lots of fun but something more special than just the normal events we do as we do them.

Thanks!

My name is purpledragonclaw, also known as PDC or purple. My favorite dragons are Guardians and Red-Finned Tidals, I love helping others and nothing brings me joy like Glomp Gifting (thank you Jocosa for introducing me to this phenom).

2. What is your favorite Threads, Events, Practices, Habits, Tools or anything else when it comes to Gifting and Helping in the world of DC?

My favorite thread for gifting is the Complete Your Scroll Wish List thread. When I have the space and catch something I think would be a nice glomp, this is the first thread I check when gifting. I also check out online users' profiles to view wishlists and scrolls, so I can gift them something they don't have yet.

3. What advice would you give to people who wanted to become more involved gifters and/or gift more or nicer items than they feel they currently have? Or is there a question you have about Gifting and Helping? Would you like someone you can PM for various ongoing questions related to this? If so, post it!

BSA dragons are definitely winners. Unless they're messy, I've found members appreciate receiving Magis, Pinks, and Reds. I also always offer messy-lineaged dragons if members don't have them yet. If people choose to accept it, that's fine, and if not, I completely understand.

4. Is there something you would like to post about for a discussion point for feedback or just an opinion?

Nothing I can think of.

5. Have you had difficult experiences with gifting and/or helping that you found a way to overcome? Or just an experience you need help overcoming? As long as it is posted in a non-negative manner, it is ok to post it if the intention is to get positive responses on how to not get frustrated and resolve the manner to better benefit everyone.

No, gifting has always been satisfying.

Just as an aside, I'm very active during the Holidays for gifting. Halloween, Valentine's Day, and especially Christmas are busy times of the year for my gifting schedule.

@Jazeki - I would like to first personally apologize to you because you were one of two people I had specifically planned on reaching out to based on your response in the Revival Thread and want to continue this discussion but I need to sleep due to irl things and I will probably continue this discussion soon if others want to jump in before me please go ahead!

The general idea is a lot of various Player Involved Events running either at the same time, or within the same time period, or one after another to extend the activities, to be very special and to give the player base something to look forward to and lots of fun but something more special than just the normal events we do as we do them.

Thanks!

No need for apologies. Sleep is very important. I chose to post in this thread since I wasn't sure if re-posting the idea in either of the proposed cave feedback or forum feedback threads would count as being too off topic or even get any attention. It still seems as this thread is getting more attention even if there aren't as many people voicing their opinions. unsure.gif

Edited by Jazeki

I'd like to perhaps plan a large forum-wide event in the future to take care of downtime between holidays and new releases (as was mentioned in the Revival thread).

That sounds like fun. I would love to participate in such an event.

Do you have any ideas about what type of event it would be?

Socks Has started to inquire who is interested in another round of massbreeding Holiday-Kin (or Holiday Dragon Lines) in Sept. This is a VERY GOOD idea since this gives us some times and goals to start prepping for not only Halloween, but also Xmas since it follows soon after. Please go share your support and add anything you might want to add, and usually often get a chance to request a PM reminder when it rolls around in that thread:

Sept Holiday-Kin Breedign Event (Holiday Lines)

These are very popular so please go check it out. If you still want to do another Breeding Event on your own or with others, please feel free. If you want advice from people, lots of people in this thread can help.

@gigglemonkey - I will make a long essay of several ideas to help you guys get kickstarted, but it's any event or combo event where people partner together to make a really awesome series of events within a certain set timeframe, and we schedule some things out or just let people join in as they want. Think of it as a Con for Any Type of Player Event or Group Event via the Forums and/or DC Chat/IRC during a particular time period. So feel free to pitch any ideas or start thinking of them. Partnering together as groups or with other Groups and Threads and making something much larger is a great idea.

For players who do not normally or do not know how to access DC Chat/IRC, now is a good time to start learning to do so. Even if you don't use it often, when you are having larger real time lottos, the Chat/IRC is one of the best ways to do that. Also it is one of the best places to coordinate Holiday Breeding & Find Freely Given Away or Swaps or Trades of Beautiful Holiday Lines & Holiday Breeding Requests - Often Better than Forums cuz much faster! And people will come on specifically for special events (like big lottos and HOLIDAYS!!). The room normally designated for these types of lottos is called #dragonlotto . The main chat room is called #DC . It is something to check out if you haven't yet as it's good to at least know the basics if we use that venue (which is highly likely) during something. Or we can create our own rooms or you can create your own rooms for various lottos or whatever type of events you want to run

Edited by natayah

That sounds like fun. I would love to participate in such an event.

Do you have any ideas about what type of event it would be?

Natayah basically covered my basic idea. :3

I'm not sure how to pull it off, but a forum-wide scavenger hunt would be kind of cool. (I just love scavenger hunts.)

It could possibly incorporate mass breeding events (find one dragon from x event in the AP).

EDIT: Users could also get hints to find specific posts on the forum and specific dragon descriptions and have to pick up dragons with specific things in their codes and such to earn points.

I just don't know what the prize(s) could be. =x

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm not sure how to pull it off, but a forum-wide scavenger hunt would be kind of cool. (I just love scavenger hunts.)

It could possibly incorporate mass breeding events (find one dragon from x event in the AP).

Oh, that would be fun! Perhaps giveaways on the chat as well? Don't know if that has been suggested already but valuable/pretty lineages and eggs could be raffled off or something, or it could just be a free for all. Though I think a raffle would be more fun, as it gives everyone a fair shot at the egg/hatchling in question.

I've sorta already introduced myself, but I'll go at it again! My name is predatorfan4ever. Silly name, I know. I wish I could change it to something less kid-like. I'm a 21 year old from the US. I'm married to a lovely guy who also plays DC! His scroll is in my signature if you wanna check his stuff out! I've been playing DC since 2010. Technically I was a member even before then, but I did some stupid stuff that got my old scroll burnt to the ground. My "new" scroll has been going on for 6 years. Also about me: I'm a proud momma to a little boy. He's a handful at times, but so is my husband. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to chat to. I love making new friends. I love my family, DC family and real life family!

My favorite thread for gifting is easy. Breeding, Gifting takes a special place in my heart. The Breeders there are wonderful people. I don't actively gift there (usually I'm locked!), but I do request a lot there. Typically a simple request only takes a day or two, while the more complex ones can take a bit longer. Either way, I'd say 95% of the requests get taken care of (gift given, that is).

DC Community Notice Board, Departures is another great thread to use! If you want to gift something to a random person, it's the perfect place to add your gift! Downside is that there will always be "snipers" (or people that take stuff without posting that they've taken a gift) but I think there is more positive with this thread than negative. Typically gifts are taken within minutes, which is great if you quickly wanna gift without abandoning the item in question.

A way I find most useful as a gifter is... seek out someone who's looking for something in particular, and gift it. The various Trading threads and threads such as Complete Your Scroll, Wishlist Thread are great places to start looking! Also, don't forget peoples' SIGNATURE! Signatures are a great location to place Wishlists and such.

Example: You're looking through the trading section and you see Player A offering something you don't want. BUT! You can breed something from their "WANTS" list. Feeling generous? Go ahead and try to gift them their "WANT." I bet it would be a nice surprise for them! smile.gif

Although the Wishlist thread isn't always kept up-to-date, it's a nice place to just browse from time-to-time. The newer pages are usually pretty active. Some people link to their post in that thread using their Signatures.

Glomping, or random gifting, is also highly recommended! Giving something out of the blue to someone is typically received EXTREMELY well! Most people LOVE to be Glomp Gifted! The original thread is here, however you don't have to participate in the thread if you don't want to. Just Glomp!

At this time, I have no discussion points to bring up. I may have some in the future though!

5. Have you had difficult experiences with gifting and/or helping that you found a way to overcome? Or just an experience you need help overcoming?

Thanks to this thread, I've overcome asking for gifts! I see people's signatures with "I breed for free" (or something along those lines) and I write down their name for future reference. I've already asked for one gift, going outside my comfort zone! I feel like this thread has helped me become less afraid of people in general as well.

A little About Z Project

As lots of people around DC know, I'm the founder of Z Project. What started out as a personal project for me has become a 400+ page plus monster that always seems to have new members whenever I stop by to do work or say hello!

The requirements are simple. The members collect or gift any dragon whose code begins with 'z' or 'Z', and then the collectors named them according to the super easy guidelines.

A lot of DC players enjoy it because the guidelines are so easy to follow and are compatible with most other breeding / lineage / collection projects. It is apparently a very addicting project.

The community is friendly too. We encourage each other, gift eggs in the thread, find trades that have Z-eggs in them and post them in Z Project's thread. If you happen to come by, just to check it out, please feel free to mention how you found us! (this thread)

I loved the bit Coyote said about the Z Project. I'd like to do a bit more shameless promoting, though.

I love the project, I really do. I'd marry Z Project, if I wasn't already taken. When I collected my first Z' Dragon, I wasn't very into it. I was young back then and didn't really see Z codes as anything special. But a year ago in July, I got obsessed with Z codes!

I saw a cute little Dorsal being offered in the Z Project and I KNEW I had to have it, for some odd reason or another. But I wasn't apart of the project, so I decided to become a part of it in order to steal adopt the cute little Dorsal. After the Dorsal was on my scroll, I started collecting a few more Zs, and soon I became super obsessed with Z codes. To this day, I can't go into the Biomes without checking each and every code. It's... very addicting. I need Z-aholics Anonymous!

We need some new blood in Z Project! I would like to see the Z on more scrolls. It needs a few more lovely people to join, methinks! Even if you casually collect them... that'd be fine with me! And I know it would be fine with Coyote (maybe xd.png)!

I know, to a lot of people, "Z codes aren't anything special."

But special is always subjective. Something you find pretty might not be pretty to the next person. I didn't think Z codes were anything to get excited about! I thought, "What's so great about 'Z codes'?" Then I began collecting them and the more I collected, the more I got into it! Somehow I stuck with it and now I proudly have over 600 Z codes and have no intentions of stopping. Some members are well over 1k Z codes (ahem, purplehaze, ahem).

So, yeah, please check out Z Project, ran by the lovely Coyote!

On the topic of user-made events-

I had a really fun idea involving the chat room...

I've seen a similar forum do something like this, and it really helped bring the community together! Plus it was a lot of fun :3

What you do is you make an announcement saying... "Get on at xx:xx time in the online chat room to win prizes!"

Then once it reaches that time you (the person in charge), would ask questions which can be as simple as "What is the description for a Frilled dragon?" or "What Biome(s) can you catch a Nebula dragon?" or harder like "What month were the Xenowyrms released?" or "How many times must you use 'Splash' to get the Magikarp badge?" or even forum related questions that require searching through threads. The first to answer correctly receives the prize...whatever it may be! Not only does it help new players by giving them information they might not find out until later, but it creates competition and invites more people onto the chat! Even sometimes there could be surprise ones wink.gif

Personally, I would LOVE to run something like this if it were to get enough support!

I have tons of ideas, to not only help players just learn things in general, but to add more events during the months without "special" releases smile.gif

But I don't have time to write a novel write now xd.png

Edited by Clya

How do you get to the chat room?

Also I like that idea, but if something like that is done I would love it if there were more than one time just for the different timezone.

Just so that it gives more people the chance to participate in it.

---

I love the Z' code project

I remember being meh about it when I first started, but now I'm a bit crazy.

Edited by gigglymonkey12

How do you get to the chat room?

Also I like that idea, but if something like that is done I would love it if there were more than one time just for the different timezone.

Just so that it gives more people the chance to participate in it.

---

I love the Z' code project

I remember being meh about it when I first started, but now I'm a bit crazy.

It's here, gigglymonkey: http://irc.technoized.com/?channel=dc

(There's a clickable link in TJ's signature.)

Regarding the chatroom, I pop in once in a while and there's little to no activity. It used to be a HUGE thing back in the day. I'm talking pre-teleport when everyone was mashing their F5 buttons to try and get something from the abandoned page. That is awesome nostalgia now that I think about it. Now days... it's deader than a doornail. Granted, I don't usually go to the #DC channel. I'm not a huge talker. I prefer the other channels that are geared towards trades and lotteries.

Raffling off stuff there is a good idea, I agree. It would liven it up a bit.

Any other ideas?

@Fans of Big Player Event(s) Event - Part One - DC Chat is Important:

DC Chat/IRC: With Holidays coming up around the corner, and it being time to start prepping mates, chat traffic will increase especially around Holidays. So while #DC Chat is starting a little slow I have a pretty good feeling it is going to pick up in the near future and because we are smrt people, possibly people to be running and/or helping to run and organize events, we should have a basic knowledge of commands and how to run and control things. If you care even the least bit of having a super easy awesome holiday breeding, swapping, gifting and trading exchange with very little to no wait time, make sure you can do the following:

- Create a Unique Nickname & Register It (It's easier if you use something closer to your forum or scroll name, but is really your choice, especially if you dislike your current forum/scroll name). Also know how to identify upon reentry so other people can't steal your nick and pretend to be you.

-Know how to use whatever client or program to do the basics of getting on chat and doing anything you need to do. Most people use the default of the link which is Mibbit. I am oldskool and upgraded to mIRC years ago after my initial entry on a BASH shell and that is how I still roll! (Don't ask if you have no idea what I mean.)

- Know Room Commands: Know how to Enter Rooms, Quit Rooms, Perform Actions in Rooms, Where to go to Get the Rules in the Officially Sponsored Main DC Chatrooms, figure out the names of the most commonly used rooms, know how to carry on a basic convo, and the rules of entering a lotto and what is done as an entrant and what is expected. (#Dragonlotto will cover most of that.)

For those who want to Be in Charge or Run Stuff:

- Know how to Create & Own a Room: Register it, set Up Rules, Know How Setting Ops and other Status Works, How to Ban and Kick People, etc.

- Know how to Invite & Use DragCaveBot (My Great Love!) into your room, know the commands for using it, Especially on how to run a lotto! Also probably know the commands to not use on it...

Edited by natayah

It's here, gigglymonkey: http://irc.technoized.com/?channel=dc

(There's a clickable link in TJ's signature.)

The chat is actually also linked on the forum now - right by the calendar (above your inbox in the upper right corner of the forum)! It's also linked in the Help page of the cave!

The chat is actually also linked on the forum now - right by the calendar (above your inbox in the upper right corner of the forum)! It's also linked in the Help page of the cave!

The new link helps me a lot! I noticed it before, but didn't quite understand it was a direct link! No more trying to figure out what client to use. tongue.gif

- Create a Unique Nickname & Register It

Unfortunately for me, I did register "PF4E" but somehow I lost the password. How on earth do I recover it? *puzzled*

Creative Writing Events & Projects

I am adding these to my ongoing Events and Resources Posts, but in case you haven't checked them out yet:

Miss Elizabeth's 2G Prize Creative Writing Contests - Ongoing as 2G Prizes Available & Uses Creative Writing FanFic to win Rare 2G & 3G Prizes & More! - See Thread for Details!

Description Force: Support & Get Support for Dragon Descriptions & Reviewing Descriptions!

Also Throughout the Forums there are Special Threads for Sharing & Contests of all sorts of Art & Creative Abilities - Including Learning to Sprite - Very Supportive so Take a Look and See What DC Offers Beyond just Dragon Collections!

Edited by natayah

@Socks - How did I not notice this this is awesome!!! Must Link to First Posts ASAP (for me that is currently 2-3 Days Cuz I'm in Slow-Mode). So have URL and Obvious Link - So Awesomeness. Now You Guys Better Get Learning more Chat Stuff Cuz if its an Easy Forum Link People are Gonna Start Creeping There!

@P45E - [00:30] -NickServ- Nicknames that are not used anymore are subject to the automatic expiration, i.e. they will be deleted after 90 days if not used. Answer - If it's been over 90 days since you successfully used it go re-register it I believe!!

Edited by natayah

Deleting Original Quote, However Leaving Important Info as FYI

Please don't create any IRC/Chat Channels that are named DCAnything. Nothing should start with the letters DC or DragonCave or anything that would make it sound like an official Dragon Cave Channel by the impression of the name. We can get in trouble for that! Only TJ can create these channels and only Approved Admins/Mods/Ops/Hops can run those channels.

When playing with channels, create some silly name (non offensive) that is more of a "junk" channel to play around on. This should be a channel you are willing to throw away and/or let expire. You can go set up a real channel after you get the basics. It should take you a few days to a few weeks max

Edited by natayah

Sorry, I did not know that nor did I see that. Anyhow, so... that just proves a more experienced person should do that. I likw how this thread is a resource for raffles and giveaways though. I noticed you added the 2g Prize Writing Contest. You should mention that toyofubi does give out runner-ups too as well as a 2g grand prize.

@natayah, thanks for the info! I didn't realize we couldn't do that, either. It's a very good thing to know. I for one do not wanna get into any trouble!

Also, thanks for the info regarding Nicknames! It has been over 90 days so I should be able to get it back! *happy dance*