Natayah

Player Activities & Events

Alright, I know that I can do my Blocker Breeding Bonanza raffle now. If anybody wants to critique my plan, that'd be great.

Name: Blocker Breeding Bonanza

Description: Breed blockers off your scroll during the current month to be entered into a raffle to win fabulous prizes! Each blocker bred puts a ticket into the raffle, one prize per entrant.

Blockers: Razorcrest Wyvern Razorcrest_Wyvern_egg.gif Turpentine user posted image Moon/Sunstone user posted imageuser posted image Lacula Lacula_egg.gif Horse user posted image Frilled user posted image Leodon Leodon_egg.gif Melismor Melismor_egg.png Harvest user posted image Skywing user posted image Bright Breasted Wyvern user posted image Water user posted image Waterhorse user posted image Freckled Freckled_egg.png Canopy user posted image Yellow Crowned user posted image Speckle Throated user posted image Nocturne user posted image Brute user posted image Red Finned Tidal user posted image Falconiform Wyvern user posted image Spitfire user posted image Tatterdrake latest?cb=20180422064035 Neotropical user posted image Black Capped Teimarr user posted image Coastal Waverunner user posted image Spotted Greenwing user posted image Tri Horn Wyvern user posted image Seragamma Wyvern user posted image Brimstone user posted image Gold Horned Tangar user posted image Swallowtail user posted image Deep Sea user posted image Scimitar Wing Wyvern user posted image Blacktip user posted image Greater Spotted Drake user posted image Tetra user posted image Tarantula Hawk Drake user posted image Ochredrake user posted image Black Tea user posted image Fever Wyvern user posted image Crimson Flare Pygmy user posted image Blue Banded user posted image Whiptail user posted image Glaucus Drake user posted image Electric user posted image Royal Crimson user posted image Terrae user posted image Royal Blue user posted image Olive user posted image Pillow user posted image Khusa latest?cb=20170828200205 Nilia Pygmy user posted image Morphodrake user posted image Bleeding Moon user posted image Carmine Wyvern user posted image Hooktalon user posted image Antarean user posted image Misfit Pygmy user posted image Imperial Fleshcrowne user posted image Day/Night Glory user posted image Daydream user posted image Sinii Krai user posted image Script latest?cb=20170718093724 Howler Drake user posted image Nhiostrife Wyvern user posted image Ember user posted image Stone user posted image Sunsong Amphitere user posted image Aria user posted image Magelight Pygmy user posted image Green user posted image Water Walker user posted image Mint user posted image Storm user posted image Anagalis user posted image Diamond user posted image Frostbite user posted image Common Pygmy user posted image Albino user posted image

Rules:

dragons are counted at the end of the month

only bred eggs/hatchlings/dragons count towards tickets

only eggs/hatchlings/dragons that survive and remain their species at the end of the month count towards tickets

only eggs/hatchlings/dragons that were bred during the contest month count towards the total

to submit dragons, at least one of their parents must be added to a public group and the group link posted to the thread

Also, help with formatting a first post, prize help, suggestions for inclusion/exclusion from the blocker list, rules critique, etc. would be nice. My criteria for what was a blocker was based on a egg counting script I have, similar to a post earlier discussed on the forum. The dragons on the list show up on more than 5% of pageloads. The exception was the Bolt Dragon, which has a frequency of 6.5%, close enough to the cutoff and useful enough for it's bsa to exclude it.

Edited by Jack_Indivisible

I think whatever criteria you use to arrive for the breeds proposed of your "blockers" is fine. If you want to fine tune it as you go, add, remove, take suggestions, I wouldn't worry so much about the breed types so much as focusing on "tickets earned." Because basically, while I don't think your system is a bad idea (I mean ideally, Breed Blockers that grow up to be their breed or at least a frozen hatchling of their breed are going to do more to lower the type than just eggs bred that die, get experimented, get zombified, get vampired/bitten, etc; become a different "breed." So really, do they get a ticket for each step of it: 1 ticket for each egg bred, another ticket it if that dragon makes it to a hatchling, a third ticket if that dragon makes it to an "adult dragon" "before the end of the month" or do they get the initial ticket for the egg ONLY if it makes it to a hatchling and/or adult of its breed by the end of the month. Because I think that is a LOT of counting on the end of the players and may be a bit more than they are willing to do.

The normal Blocker Breeding is basically left to having people mass breed the eggs, submit the "graphical pictures" from their action log; so many breedings of the blocker breed types result in a ticket, and the "winners" at the end would be verified for their entries (or people could do random checks as they go) but since it requires a bit of work, people usually are rather honest on it, because if they are putting in the effort to do that, they certainly want to win. I think that while your suggestion has merit, it requires a lot more work, and basically the outcome is the same. If a few die or get experimented on, but they have to "breed a group to make the attempts" to have multiples = 1 ticket (Vhale did 20 breedings to get one ticket because not all of them will produce eggs (although most or many will) and at least SOME if not many of that batch will make it to hatchling and/or adult hood), and I think your approach requires more work, UNLESS you have a special way to count them other than taking every dragon from that "group" and counting all offspring between a particular time frame. I don't know if you do or not, but if you do, then sure that is awesome!

Also, you generally need the commitment from at least 1-2 or more Prize Owners, and/or people who normally can catch without too much effort or acquire CB Golds/Silvers, NDs, SAkin or whatever for back up other prizes you might have and then you have other nice lines of 3rd Gen Prizes a few or whatever for other "Second, Third, Etc. Place". Normally when a 2G Prize Egg is ready to go, the raffle runs with people getting tickets IMMEDIATELY and as it progresses there is a drawing within a week or so max and they get that hatchling, or whatever else has been scrounged up by supporting donations. An entire month is a long period of time, and if you have a Prize 2G "arrive" in the first week or two, do you do drawings in between during the month? Because the baby isn't going to wait. Or are they more of IOU babies, and they get to choose the mate, or they get what they get? (Which isn't bad, it is a 2G Prize).

Those are the things I'd knock out first and then you are set. I'm sure some other people who have also run similar raffles or giveaways on their own can give you some ideas, I just know about the donating part and the player part in the past ones I've participated in.

I'm perfectly aware of the difficulties of the method I've selected, and I do have a special way of counting them that leads to why the rules are the way they are (breed restrictions, dragons as they are at the end, . Serendipitously, this method should also reduce thread clutter! I can pretty reliably catch a zeno/zyu, but golds/silvers? Would those be required? I figured that the prizes would be a sticking point. One way to run it would be people breeding, and then everything gets counted from the end of the last drawing to seven (or whatever would be best) days after the egg(s) gets bred? That might garner some interesting randomness to the drawings, keeping people coming back and breeding their dragons. I think that's what's most important is just to get people breeding consistently. This could also be combined with cb eggs at more reliable intervals. What are SAkin?

Thank you guys for the definitions : )

@Jazeki, I don't really see a problem with that. If they're going to do that much to fix the ratios, they should be rewarded appropriately (even if that means I have to count them all).

23 hours ago, Jack_Indivisible said:

Thank you guys for the definitions : )

@Jazeki, I don't really see a problem with that. If they're going to do that much to fix the ratios, they should be rewarded appropriately (even if that means I have to count them all).

It could be a lot of counting!

For instance, I have about 250 pairs of Z-coded dragons that I breed up to 3 times a month (depending on my success rate of getting Z-coded babies that I need to devote space to). That is in addition to any other dragons I choose to breed for lineages, gifts, etc. Of course not all of them are blocker breeds, but a lot of them are. And I know I'm not the only one who breeds tons of dragons on a regular basis.

Do you have an easier way to count than going to the progeny page of each dragon in the group and checking for offspring bred during that month?

Edited by purplehaze

You could simply ask players to put the eggs they are entering into a group.

14 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You could simply ask players to put the eggs they are entering into a group.

Maybe I missed something here.  You can make a group of auto abandoned eggs?  Or are you talking about each participant maintaining a spreadsheet?  I found screen shots of action log and getting better half to help me get them in an image hosting site complicated enough (Vhale's mass breeds).

Oh oops. No, this is true.

I cannot begin to imagine, then. You can't list the eggs as thou shalt not post the link of an egg thou dost not own. Sure, post the BRED dragons in a group, but still...

I can't get my head around this enough to consider entering...

This is sorta old news, but if there are some of you who would like to manage an important project, especially for something that was long-standing, let me highlight this potential need, although I understand with so many other Gifting Threads some might consider it moot. **HOWEVER** There are a LOT of people who want to specifically donate to NEWBIES, and are happy to have their eggs going there. I think if you or a team were going to run it, you would want to make a Post that you link to other resources where those "newbies" can also get other eggs. I think this is important for Gifting Groups to cross promote so players get the maximum use, and that way not one thread or the other is overwhelmed, *AND* the players learn about the different resources out there and if they like one better than the other, they can use the ones of their choice:

The Newbie Gifting Thread Project - Closed due to Inactivity. If you would like to reboot it, please reach out to the Mods. Refer to the Last Post.

This is a great opportunity to potentially do this, or get a small team and give it a shot. So if you are inclined to do more of a thread/project but don't want to make up a new one since so many ideas already exist, this may be the opportunity for you! If you decide to go for it, we will be here to help you. *OR* if you would be willing to post here to show that you would help support that thread with donations, then maybe someone will consider picking it up.

Just something to consider if you feel so inclined, or want to talk to some friends and see about working on it together! Just please remember to cross-promote and list other Gifting Threads because this is important info that Newbies need and that way their needs can be filled from multiple places, especially when they *OUTGROW* the intention of the original Gifting Thread and helps get them more quickly invested in both the game and the Community so we *KEEP* that New Blood flowing into our Community and don't get frustrated and just give up!

I'm donating a  2G Prize Baby into The Blocker Breeding Bonanza! This give a lot of us with larger scrolls (and others) a nice incentive to breed our lovelies into the AP, but to collect and/or regift these babies! I want to encourage us to start breeding *NOW* to help others get ready for the upcoming Holiday Craziness. This includes not only breeding things that help with ratios, but also to get some of our lovely lineages to the AP and/or regift, including especially: BSAs (ALL OF THEM!), Holidaykin, and dusting all the dragons on our scrolls! If your line is Multiple Things At Once, even better! Going away from DC for a few hours? Grab some CB Blockers from Biomes and drop to AP! Let's help the Community & Game & Have Some Fun Ourselves!

So Again, to Recap: Breeding & Collecting Everything, but especially Breed: BSAs, Holidaykin, Lovely Lineages, Blockers/Common Lines, and anything else that people can enjoy!

And Also Consider Signing Up, Promoting (adding link to signature, mentioning it via PMs and posts where appropriate), and maybe Even Offering Donations for the: The Blocker Breeding Bonanza!

Hey if you are going to be doing it anyway, why not have a little fun yourself? You joining will also encourage others to join and participate! Time for some Fun! Blocker Breeds Listed Below:

Blockers (to Collect, Breed, Etc.): Razorcrest Wyvern Razorcrest_Wyvern_egg.gif Turpentine user posted image Moon/Sunstone user posted imageuser posted image Lacula Lacula_egg.gif Horse user posted image Frilled user posted image Leodon Leodon_egg.gif Melismor Melismor_egg.png Harvest user posted image Skywing user posted image Bright Breasted Wyvern user posted image Water user posted image Waterhorse user posted image Freckled Freckled_egg.png Canopy user posted image Yellow Crowned user posted image Speckle Throated user posted image Nocturne user posted image Brute user posted image Red Finned Tidal user posted image Falconiform Wyvern user posted image Spitfire user posted image Tatterdrake latest?cb=20180422064035 Neotropical user posted image Black Capped Teimarr user posted image Coastal Waverunner user posted image Spotted Greenwing user posted image Tri Horn Wyvern user posted image Seragamma Wyvern user posted image Brimstone user posted image Gold Horned Tangar user posted image Swallowtail user posted image Deep Sea user posted image Scimitar Wing Wyvern user posted image Blacktip user posted image Greater Spotted Drake user posted image Tetra user posted image Tarantula Hawk Drake user posted image Ochredrake user posted image Black Tea user posted image Fever Wyvern user posted image Crimson Flare Pygmy user posted image Blue Banded user posted image Whiptail user posted image Glaucus Drake user posted image Electric user posted image Royal Crimson user posted image Terrae user posted image Royal Blue user posted image Olive user posted image Pillow user posted image Khusa latest?cb=20170828200205 Nilia Pygmy user posted image Morphodrake user posted image Bleeding Moon user posted image Carmine Wyvern user posted image Hooktalon user posted image Antarean user posted image Misfit Pygmy user posted image Imperial Fleshcrowne user posted image Day/Night Glory user posted image Daydream user posted image Sinii Krai user posted image Script latest?cb=20170718093724 Howler Drake user posted image Nhiostrife Wyvern user posted image Ember user posted image Stone user posted image Sunsong Amphitere user posted image Aria user posted image Magelight Pygmy user posted image Green user posted image Water Walker user posted image Mint user posted image Storm user posted image Anagalis user posted image Diamond user posted image Frostbite user posted image Common Pygmy user posted image Albino user posted image

Edited by Natayah

Ok, it's time to throw down the gauntlet, and raise my voice, and declare it is time for some Player Challenges!

You can review the "rules" on the front page, I am going to delete the copy and paste from this page, give you an update in a few posts on some ideas, and set out about 10 or so "suggestions" from myself for the "Community" or individuals, or teams, however you all wish to consider them, and see if this encourages others. And if not, I can just "encourage/challenge" or issue various reminders of other fun things to keep doing and consider revisiting on my own. Still want some feedback if anyone has any.

Things might be like:

1. Breed Your BSAs, but Especially with the Holidays Coming Up!

2. Send a Thank you PM or GLOMP (CB Hatchlings are usually best, or lovely lines) to a person you admire, wish to say thanks, or just think is cool.

3. Take some time to Search the AP this month! Find a gem? Don't Forget to Thank the Breeder and Post about it in the: AP Finds Thread (link would be included)

4. Say Hello and Welcome some Brand New Players (by posting in their Intro Thread or sending a PM) and offer a greeting and welcome, an offer of help, or even a free dragon if you want! Or find some of those "Growing Players" who are trying to spread their wings and get some interesting things. Look for people who have started posting but maybe are still under a Gold Trophy, or only recently have one, and offer to breed them an egg of their choice, or to help them find something in need. Or even inviting them to an upcoming free raffle or giveaway! Just as long as you aren't spamming people, a nice, sincere, personalized PM can mean a lot to people. Say Hello to your old and current friends too! One is Silver and the Other is Gold, but they are both VERY SHINY and PRECIOUS! (Like our dragons!)

Edited by Natayah

On 7/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, Natayah said:

Also, Raffles: Do we have any of those that are active, or want to be more active, that if a bunch of us got together and gave you support and donations and promotion that someone would be willing to take a stab at one, revamp an older one, or possibly a team to do one or an ongoing? These are a ton of fun and are really one of the coolest things that draw people, however, I know they can be a lot of work too.

I'm just stopping by to say that Glittering Gold Giveaways is back from the dead. The first raffle will start accepting donations tonight if anyone is interested in helping out :)

Ok folks, here's your chance to donate your pretty lines and nice dragons and make sure you are egglocked so your Breedings go straight to the AP....

ARE YOU READY FOR IT??

BABY LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

9 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

I'm just stopping by to say that Glittering Gold Giveaways is back from the dead. The first raffle will start accepting donations tonight if anyone is interested in helping out :)

We've missed these raffles, and now one of our favorites is kicking back off. So while you are going through your breedings, grab a few "special eggs, hatchlings, lines, etc." to donate! And get ready to participate! With this raffle, I am hoping we go all out and really make some great donations and get a lot of people involved for a really awesome show of support and fun! And to win some lovely things. Just a little secret... with so many eggs in the AP currently ready for incuhatch - There are a LOT of people who really love Hatchling Packs! They help grow scrolls, add variety, and allow for frozen hatchlings and more! They always have a great response. See if you can find some fun stuff in the AP and hatch it and stick 'em together and donate them! And for those who might enjoy these dragons from fantastic lines and prizes to something shiny and new to help grow their scroll - Let's really make their day by also remembering to INVITE them to join as they don't need to do anything special. Let's just make sure there is enough donations that people are really excited about both participating, donating and promoting so everyone can move into August having won (via all sorts of currently going on activities by us PLAYERS) some really amazing dragons and prizes!

TWO BIG EVENTS, AMAZING PRIZES TO WIN - TIME TO ENTER & SHARE THE NEWS!

GLITTERING GOLD GIVEAWAY: Enter to Win Amazing Prizes! Long Time Awesome Raffle Giveaway!

THE BLOCKER BREEDING BONAZA: Enter to Win Tickets from Collecting & Breeding - Rare Prizes!

Knock out the end of July with some Fun & Prizes - And the Spread the News so We Can Keep Player Events Active, Ongoing and Fun for both Donating, Participating, & Winning, Regardless of Scroll, Play Style or Skills.

Have you been involved in other ways to help the community or want to highlight some other events, threads, groups, etc.; thank people who have helped you or want to get involved and meet some new friends? Say Hello, share your favorite ways to play and enjoy the game; and also ways you are involved and contribute to the Community, your favorite type of Games and Activities both run by DC & Also Players, and follow & share this thread for references and constantly updates on upcoming new Player Events & Activities & how to get involved, or also to post, share and enjoy the conversation here!

Edited by Natayah

Updated & Edited some First Posts, Holiday Prep Time is going to be coming soon, and I'd like to have an easy reference for players in need to find anything and everything that is some of our best threads, groups, and resources. I'd like to get another 10-20 Threads, Groups, Projects, Activities, Etc. Added/Updated by mid August at the latest. If there are some I have not yet added, would you be willing to post a link and the name of the Thread, Group, Site, Etc. so I can make it top priority vs. Sorting thru the Threads? Also, if we could get some people to share some of their favorite Holiday prep Time Frames, Tips, Tricks, Suggestions, Etc. - Post them here! It would be great to have some ideas already available especially for newer and growing players who may be more limited on space and experience to make the best use of their time.

Also take a look at the Player Challenge thing and give me some feedback, and/or if you think it is better to just nix the idea and maybe have the thread take "suggestions" from people of "challenges for this month" and I can make a list on my own of suggested activities for people to focus on, or a list of activities that people may overlook that are both fun and helpful to the game. Or whatever. Much appreciated for anything!

*ACTIVITY ALERT: Glittering Golden Giveaways *ACCEPTING* Donations until 8/2/18 6:00 PM EST - THEN OPEN FOR FREE ENTRY - INVITE OTHERS - ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW OR FORGOT ABOUT THIS AWESOME ONGOING EVENT!** - Afraid you don't have Space? Open Even 1 Slot, HATCH Low Time AP Eggs ASAP AND DONATE A HATCHLING PACK!

Also I reordered the pages, would *LOVE* any feedback on if that ordering makes more sense, or if something else should come ahead of other things! We've had some really awesome and fun impacts with our Player Events swinging back up, an AP that had a TON of Low Timed Eggs for quite some time while also an in Game New Release - Wow what a way to End July and Swing into August! I am super excited and am hoping to hear back from some people who've been participating and involved with these activities, and let's get an update on what you've been up to on DC recently, prior, and in real life! Share your stories, share some advice as we creep closer and closer towards the Pre-Holiday Rush Prep (maybe some suggestions to less tenured players on some Best Tips?), and anything else you want to share! Hoping to spend tomorrow adding some more links to the Reference Lists, but gimme your feedback on the layout too if you like!

Yikes! I thought I'd followed this thread, but apparently not....

First, I noticed that the "Great Lineages Found in the AP" link actually says "Great Lineas." 

Second, and this is a little embarrassing, I've seen bingos posted in the Games section but I'm always confused by the threads. It seems like they always say they're closed, but people are still posting entries? Would someone be willing to explain it - not the concept, but how the actual threads work?

8 minutes ago, sylviamaris said:

First, I noticed that the "Great Lineages Found in the AP" link actually says "Great Lineas." 

Second, and this is a little embarrassing, I've seen bingos posted in the Games section but I'm always confused by the threads. It seems like they always say they're closed, but people are still posting entries? Would someone be willing to explain it - not the concept, but how the actual threads work?

The current bingo game is the one by Ruby Eyes. Bingo games follow one after another with the winner of the previous bingo game hosting the new one. When a new game starts, the host typically leaves sign-ups open until the first round closes. Then the game goes on until there is a winner. So you may be seeing Bingo threads that are closed to sign-ups, but still active for current players. Does that help? When Sock was around she usually locked the threads once the game was over and a new one posted. I suppose it could still happen that way if we made a habit of requesting it, but it doesn't seem that any of the current mods do it automatically.

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something else that should get more attention than it does! The DC Photography Contest

This is another rotating thing -- winner of one contest sets the theme for the next and starts a new thread. You don't have to be a professional photographer to win this contest. Heck, I've even gotten a few votes for my pitiful entries! XD 

The current theme is winter related (not Christmas) pictures. We have a few really nice entries, but I'll bet there are other people who have snow, ice, or other winter-related pictures that they could enter. The deadline for this round is tomorrow, though, so you need to get over there quickly! If you miss the deadline, feel free to drop over there anyway and vote for your favorite entry once the poll is up!

Edited by purplehaze

On 8/3/2018 at 10:24 AM, sylviamaris said:

First, Thank you so much for the Typo!! And if it helps, I was a bit confused about the Bingo's at first too. I super wanted to direct link to them because they are one of the more interesting "Forum Games" we have. I mean, I understand people claim it and say "Bingo!" but .... there is a lot more to the game than some Church Basement Elder Game Gathering. So Yes, the thread gets recreated with each new "round" and when done by a new "host", and it is really interesting to watch it played. And generally when people get into it they *REALLY* get into it. Deserves all the applause and love. So even if you don't ever actually join, it is really interesting to go check it out because it's a game that does a bit of everything. And thank you both sylvamaris and purplehaze (thanks for also answering!!).

I am a great Cheerleader and Community Events Coordinator and helping to get the word out and promote and cheer things and encouraging others to the same and it seems to work pretty well. It's like the main super power I have. That said, I hate repetitive mundane tasks even when I'm the one who assigns those things to myself. So - trying to make myself to do a X number of updating my lists each week. At least the ones I have now are corrected, updated, deleted and now hopefully grammar correct. And I am keeping up on the new ones.

I Added the "Thank You Thread", going to add the "Check Your Name" thread, did some reordering and reorganizing with making sure I am better highlighting the "upcoming Holiday Prep and related events" as well as highlighting some of our new and renewed active threads.

I want to make sure I have some of the more specific and interesting things you can on this thread are also highlighted. Such as the Dragon Description and Review Groups, the Thank You various Groups (Thank you Thread, Great Lineages Thread, etc.) to keep the thankful and gratitude spirit as well as encouraging others to seek out the various gifting threads and remembering to check them out to look for wishlists and such to fill. Finally, we still need to remember that there are a *LOT* of people on the threads who are still Bronze, Silver, or even Gold (or maybe not quite Bronze) who start out on the beginning Gifting Groups and don't always know about some of the stuff on our Forums (Look, I was terrified of the Forums when I first joined, I get it, they are massive - It is one of the reasons I try to make and keep up on a nice neat "Resource List" for places to go to find stuff, from dragons to help with DC, and to also to find places to go to gift, donate, help, and also inspire others in their time on DC).

A Game is fun to play to a point, but it is the Community that keeps people coming back. Even if they are not here every day or every week and only get on when they can, or revisit their friends and long time game during the holidays or other events, what we do here is important. I know I do a lot of posting, and I know it is easy to come here, take a look to see if anything new is going on, make use of the references when needed, and skim thru. And that is actually kinda the point. However, do try to say Hello once in awhile just so it doesn't look like I *ALWAYS* talk to myself (which isn't a bad thing, I get a lot accomplished that way, and sometimes I am just the best conversationalist I have around!!)

But I would really like to challenge the growing and older players to consider visiting some of the "Newer and Growing Player" Gifting Threads/Projects and not only Gift things that are greatly in needs (such as things like BSA hatchlings, or low time BSA eggs), even if you do it privately and quietly, and consider inviting them to join any Raffles and Giveaways (Let me recommend the Glittering Gold Giveaways as you can enter for free as long as you have at least 10 Adult Dragons, which is a pretty basic bar), or even a reference for a place where they can go to get dragons they may be wanting and in need of. (Growing, and Even Newerish Players are sometimes Good about listing these things in their Signatures and Profiles, or sometimes you can just send them a PM and ask if there is something you can breed or hatch or catch for them that they would really enjoy, but isn't something crazy.) These are the people we most want to expose to these awesome events as they are the ones who will one day be the people who will be our future friends and fresh blood that keeps the DC Community Going and Growing. No matter their preferred play style and fun, we love helping others, and those we help often turn into the very ones that desire to give back to the Community in return, and thus the circle pays it forward!