Emordnilap

Passing By Another User

Okay it's Opt In, Yes we get it.  but that means:

New users who don't know about this feature and may need the help will not have it. 

and

older users either will not bother to opt in because they can raise their dragons just fine,

or

don't want people on their scrolls,

or

don't want extra lag won't opt in. 

And those who do opt in will quickly become so used to seeing it there that they never click on it, because they are busy, the novelty is gone, they forget about it....whatever. 

So, who, exactly is going to use this, and how is actually helping anyone? Simple, it isn't.

New users also have "Accept aid from others" option in account preferences default to opt-out. So they're already NOT set up to get help. And it's really a case-by-case sort of thing whether new players explore around their account settings or not. Of course those who don't take the time to do so are the ones you hear from on the forums.

I don't think people would opt out simply because they think that they can raise their dragons without the help of other players. Actually, that's why fan-sites were created. While it's really dependent on the fan-sites you use, I know many of them generate views and UVs pretty decently (valley sherwood, silvi's, eatw). It's pretty rare though to get a good amount of clicks from them however. So I could see having something similar to what's in the OP helping in that regard.

As for the lag issue everyone keeps fearing, it probably depends ultimately on how TJ would code such a thing. The site already keeps track of the number of players at the main page, biomes and ap. The less chance of lag option I think would most likely add in a hyperlink to another page with a name list.

Novelty has never stopped new features from being added to the site. The encyclopedia I would say is very similar to what you just described. How often do you check to see if you have every single dragon sprite unlocked and go around clicking dragons to fill it?

Edited by Daydreamer09

I don't support it, sorry. It would be simply adding a weight on servers and nobody needs it. In the world of hatcheries and fansites this couple of clicks isn't worth the work of coding, implementing, opting in or out and so on.

I could be mistaken but, from TJ's posts, it is evident that he performs cost-benefit analysis before implementing any significant change. I would not pursue "technical guessing" and would leave the implementation technical aspects to the person that has the facts.

Novelty has never stopped new features from being added to the site. The encyclopedia I would say is very similar to what you just described. How often do you check to see if you have every single dragon sprite unlocked and go around clicking dragons to fill it?

Basically - never biggrin.gif