Fuzzbucket

New view page layout

Comparison between Portal 2 (dark) layout.

Old:

user posted image

New:

user posted image

I have to say, it took me too long to find the 'actions' and 'links' boxes with the new layout (its almost camoflagued!)

I sort of relied on the last Portal layout to be convenient and quick and the new one just feels too disorganised to work the same way. I would love to be able to switch back to the old one but otherwise, I'd appreciate it if the actions link was made a little more noticeable.  sad.gif

This is the issue I am facing too. I use the darker layout and now some of the text is harder to read.

I don't like this new look. It was nicer to look at before and was all aligned. Now it's messy looking and it bothers me (I'm a bit OCD with alignments sometimes lol). If it wasn't broke, it didn't need "fixing". But I guess you can't please everyone dry.gif

And I now have the new layout. Feedback time:

The enormous "Viewing X" at the top of the page is really distracting and unnecessary. I feel that the Name line is quite sufficient, though I suppose some people might be confused with it showing up on an egg. Still, I'd rather have Name: (code) regardless of life stage than the huge text above the egg/dragon I'm looking at.

I'm confused as to why there's more space between the Owner line and the Stolen/Laid on line, and again between the growth info lines and Overall Views. I'd much prefer everything to be evenly spaced, preferably the way the closer ones are.

I find the two column layout in general to be fine. Having the lineage and children links under the title column will take a bit of getting used to, but I don't feel that it's bad placement, really.

I don't even mind the actions and code links or the gear/chain, but I'd really rather they were either between the information columns and descriptive text, or below the description. Right where they are it feels like they're in the way, and I think that placing them differently would help the page flow better in general and have them in a more intuitive spot for the viewer.

But I don't know what these blue mouse-overs are that someone mentioned - I would have had the blue "hidden" box - but I blocked that ages ago.

This is the blue box I meant (I think you were talking about me? I'm sorry if you didn't!)

user posted image

You get it by mouse-overing the overall views, or unique views, clicks, etc.

The mobile site has blue elements as well:

https://i.imgur.com/sbWw3TS.jpg

To me, it would make more sense if those elements were the same color red as the logo on that page. smile.gif

I don't understand how a lot of people seem to complain the new layout is 'messy', though - it goes from just put together to aligned in a neat way? How is that messy?

The only thing I noticed on this page is that it doesn't seem to align up the way it should for everyone, maybe that's why it looks messy?

Here is my aligned stats of a dragon:

user posted image

And here is on earlier in the thread:

user posted image

Notice the not-aligned info? The overall views are not aligned with the rest of the details, and on top of that it's too close to "Overall Views:" as well. I think that's not intentional? smile.gif

EDIT: I took a look at all layouts, I believe Portal and Portal Light are the only ones that have the views-stat on a dragon's page not aligned properly. The DC description of a dragon seems to be too close to the stats of a dragon as well. If you look at your scroll, every sprite is more closer together than on the default layout.

In fact, everything seems a bit closer together on the portal layouts vs. the default one.

No idea if that was unintentional, but I noticed it.

Edited by Cinspawn

While i dont mind the new lay out on my computer, the new layout for the mobile version is really uneasy to navigate.

This is the blue box I meant (I think you were talking about me? I'm sorry if you didn't!)

user posted image

The mobile site has blue elements as well:

https://i.imgur.com/sbWw3TS.jpg

To me, it would make more sense if those elements were the same color red as the logo on that page. smile.gif

I don't understand how a lot of people seem to complain the new layout is 'messy', though - it goes from just put together to aligned in a neat way? How is that messy?

The only thing I noticed on this page is that it doesn't seem to align up the way it should for everyone, maybe that's why it looks messy?

Here is my aligned stats of a dragon:

user posted image

And here is on earlier in the thread:

user posted image

Notice the not-aligned info? The overall views are not aligned with the rest of the details, and on top of that it's too close to "Overall Views:" as well. I think that's not intentional? smile.gif

EDIT: I took a look at all layouts, I believe Portal and Portal Light are the only ones that have the views-stat on a dragon's page not aligned properly. The DC description of a dragon seems to be too close to the stats of a dragon as well. If you look at your scroll, every sprite is more closer together than on the default layout.

In fact, everything seems a bit closer together on the portal layouts vs. the default one.

No idea if that was unintentional, but I noticed it.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I guess I don't usually hover over that stuff, so I didn't notice.

For my part, it's less 'messy' than it is 'uneven'. Perhaps that's what other people are calling messy... but I meant what I was talking about up there, that things are unbalanced while the dragon is an egg or a hatchling, and doesn't truly become balanced until you breed them, and even then it often doesn't look absolutely balanced if the dragon is a CB. See how in your example the name, dates, view numbers are all on one side, and the breed and location are the only thing on the other side? It just bothers me. I realize that space is to leave room for future breeding and if the dragon has any parents as well as lineage links, but it looks so unbalanced and... kind of sloppy, really.

Yep, the issue is the lack of alignment. Look at my screenshot here - I count 6 different horizontal alignments (top text, sprite, actions/code links, "hidden egg" warning, two-column table, and bottom description text). Of those 6, 3 look terrible (actions/code links, "hidden egg" warning, and misalignment between the two-column table and the bottom description text).

There are also a bunch of unnecessary page elements that are making some of us quite unhappy. The special characters in the actions/code links have taken a lot of heat. I also personally hate the "hidden egg/hatchling" message, as I've been playing the game for long enough to know exactly what I'm doing when I fog something and don't really appreciate a giant blue box warning me about it.

I suppose I'll get used to it, but I do NOT like the new layout. But TJ is going to do what TJ wants to do, regardless of what any of us say.

If it isn't broke, why does it need fixing? There was NOTHING wrong with the old layout.. new layout is ugly and out of order, repeats itself and added unnecessary graphics which do NOT suit a medieval theme.

user posted image

EEW. I did mean you. I'd tried my normal mouseover for other things and they were nice and white. That IS nasty !

Luckily I don't mouseover a lot so I can live with it biggrin.gif but I can't see the point.

It doesn't seem too bad to me. At least, not on adult dragons. The spacing between lines just looks weird on the egg pages. The extra spacing between lines is pretty nice on the adults though.

I do sort of like having the name/code be bigger, but it should be BELOW the sprite IMO. Like someone else said, I don't like having the sprite sandwiched. It just feels odd to be looking above the sprite for information. Especially for eggs and hatchlings. The text ends up being bigger and more obvious than they are, and then the sprite is no longer the focal point, just a bunch of text.

user posted image

The hatchling is totally small and insignificant compared to all this text. Having the actions/code links right under it (especially with those icons) is totally distracting too. And the image is unevenly spaced! He's practically touching his name, but there's plenty of space between him and the links below. Granted, he has a super long name. Here's an unnamed hatchling.

user posted image

Not as bad without the long name, but having those links in the center is still distracting on a hatchling page. My eyes are drawn more to the links than the hatchie.

I don't know why there are icons. Regardless of DC's theme and such, there's just no point. We all know that those buttons are there and what they do. I don't see the purpose of the icons, they're just distracting to me. :/

I also don't really like how the links are in the center. As I said, it makes them more of a focal point. The sprite and the sprite alone should be the central focus, not links and little icons. Especially where smaller sprites are concerned.

I also personally hate the "hidden egg/hatchling" message, as I've been playing the game for long enough to know exactly what I'm doing when I fog something and don't really appreciate a giant blue box warning me about it.

Maybe we could suggest replacing the giant blue box with mouse-over?

Edited by _Sin_

I do sort of like having the name/code be bigger, but it should be BELOW the sprite IMO.

Quoting the above to ask a question for anyone: Has anyone made a preview of what the page would look like if all of the text was placed UNDER the sprite? I was thinking it might look better that way to a certain extent (although there's still the issue of alignment, icons, etc.)

But I really do not like the sprite being sandwiched between those two lines of text. It isn't the focal point in my opinion, and it should be.

Yep, the issue is the lack of alignment. Look at my screenshot here - I count 6 different horizontal alignments (top text, sprite, actions/code links, "hidden egg" warning, two-column table, and bottom description text). Of those 6, 3 look terrible (actions/code links, "hidden egg" warning, and misalignment between the two-column table and the bottom description text).

There are also a bunch of unnecessary page elements that are making some of us quite unhappy. The special characters in the actions/code links have taken a lot of heat. I also personally hate the "hidden egg/hatchling" message, as I've been playing the game for long enough to know exactly what I'm doing when I fog something and don't really appreciate a giant blue box warning me about it.

Hmm, I see what you mean now. I guess I'm just not bothered by it, because to me everything is aligned:

user posted image

I do see why the hidden!!! message would bother you, it is kind of in your face. But I guess that's also the point.. Perhaps it would look better without the square with the ! in it (which is again, blue, for some reason xd.png)

I also can see why you'd dislike the 'uneven' alignment I marked with the asterisk (*), but I think that's just a style of writing that is actually acceptable. It's just oldschool. It might look better all to the left, though.

I honestly think the new page makes way more sense than the old one, even though I'm not used to it yet. Technical none-lore stats to the left, lore stats to the right. Need a button? They're at the top like a menu, not spread over the two columns like before.

Am I  the only person who really doesn't like the new layout that is rolling out at the moment?

I suppose I'll get used to it, but I do NOT like the new layout. But TJ is going to do what TJ wants to do, regardless of what any of us say.

If it isn't broke, why does it need fixing? There was NOTHING wrong with the old layout.. new layout is ugly and out of order, repeats itself and added unnecessary graphics which do NOT suit a medieval theme.

Yeahh.. I agree.

I didn't like it too, wish this change was optional..

Here's my take on how I'd like to see the layout reformatted. I grabbed a quick stock image of a scroll for the (!) image and I imagine for the other scroll themes there'd be a different graphic to compliment the designs better.

user posted image

user posted image

Here's a preview of the name being under the sprite.

@igloo above:

That looks really good to me too, and people who would like the sprite on top would be happy smile.gif

I'd remove the image for the hidden warning completely though, just the big 'Hidden - Won't be viewable etc' should be enough of a warning.

I'd also put View Lineage back under Mother/Father (as that's the beginning of the lineage) and Children back under Last bred (as that's what's being bred, the children.) I think the placement of these links make sense in the new layout TJ made.

And lastly, perhaps align the text at the bottom all the way to the left. No more indentations.

This is the issue I am facing too. I use the darker layout and now some of the text is harder to read.

I'm quoting this because a lot got said while I was gone.

A lot, including my own opinions, are just personal opinions, but hard to read text makes the site harder to use, and it is something I think should be messed first with so it's easier to read.

I'm now looking at the new layout on my computer (St. Pat's here) and I'm wondering why the "View Lineage" and "View Children" links are in bold text while the rest of the links are not. Is there a stylistic reason for this?

This is a horrendous change. Why is there so much space between everything so its suuuuper artificially spread out? It just looks weird.

Discovered this morning that my scroll's been migrated to the new layout. Colour me decidedly underwhelmed. :/

Unfortunately I've finally gotten the new layout. I can't find anything! I really wish I could switch back.

I finally got the new layout this morning as well. I wasn't too bothered by the idea of it before it hit, but it's just... so oddly done. Like, too spaced out and too smushed together at the same time? I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's really just more a change than any kind of improvement.

Looks like I have the new layout now... :/ Though I was under the impression that the retired skins (I use Dino Cave) weren't getting updates?

Oh well I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually but my only complaints are the giant "Viewing dragon: name (code)" at the top (however it is smaller than on the default skin, and I do like the mockup someone did of the text below the sprite). Also it could just be my computer but the spacing of the stats looks odd. All of them are crammed together and then the view and unique view lines have huge spaces between the colon and the number. Screenshot

I hate the new layout. Everything is wrong with it.

WHY!!!? There was nothing wrong with the old one. Which I want back yesterday.

If it ain't broke...for the love of Mike don't fix it!!!