Fuzzbucket

New view page layout

I'm not messing with greasemonkey, though. I do seem to recall TJ not being happy with that anyway.

I was wondering about that - where is the line between "allowed" and "not allowed"?

The site terms say the following is not allowed:

Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users.

I doubt making a tiny design element invisible (no matter if it's done with Greasemonkey, Adblock Plus or another tool) could be considered breaking that rule.*

I would not use Greasemonkey on DC at all though, because it is quite powerful and it could be too easy to get into "definitely not allowed" territory with it.

* If I'm wrong, I hope someone will tell me - I'd rather see any symbols on the view page (even spiders) than to have my scroll burned!

Edited by Confused Cat

Much prefer the old version I would like if it were optional.

I don't know if it's intentional but when I view someone elses scroll on mobile version it lists unique views, clicks then views. Viewing my own scroll its listed as usual v, uv, c.

You can block those too - I did that when they first showed up !

I did mean to left justify, but am happy to try again:

user posted image

which also looks better than having the current owner as well as the repeated name on the left...

I'm not messing with greasemonkey, though. I do seem to recall TJ not being happy with that anyway.

that looks much nicer than this new one, but I still much prefer the old page layout back

I just got the new layout today. I don't mind it, but it would be nice if the BBC/HTML page link and the actions link were to the sides of each page and not directly under the dragon. Aside from that I'm fine with it.

Also just got the new layout today. I hate the way that the hidden dragons look, for reasons others have said (it's jarring/ugly to look at, the symbol is out of sync with the rest of the look, it just throws of the flow of the page, and really is unnecessary; if a dragon is hidden it should occur to people that no one else will see its page) and I also don't like the action and code links being in the middle.

Also not a fan of the weird spacing going on between lines in the rest of the information.

Edited by Angelina Gienah

Also just got the new layout today. I hate the way that the hidden dragons look, for reasons others have said (it's jarring/ugly to look at, the symbol is out of sync with the rest of the look, it just throws of the flow of the page, and really is unnecessary; if a dragon is hidden it should occur to people that no one else will see its page) and I also don't like the action and code links being in the middle.

Also not a fan of the weird spacing going on between lines in the rest of the information.

The noxious symbol is in the same tradition as the checkmarks in the encyclopaedia and that one you get when you try to do an action that you can't do. (Try refreshing after hiding, for instance.)

I don't think it will be going anywhere anytime soon. But it's blockable xd.png

You can block those too - I did that when they first showed up !

I did mean to left justify, but am happy to try again:

user posted image

which also looks better than having the current owner as well as the repeated name on the left...

I like! I still think the huge name text is pointless, though--I'd rather it just be a normal part of the left column.

It would make the left column EVEN LONGER, though.

I just got the new layout a second ago and I guess it's not so bad, even though I'm very unhappy about it right now. it'll probably just take time to acclimate to like the biomes

Just got the layout today smile.gif Looks nice and clean to me, I'll give some time to get used to it.

My only 'complaint' so far is the blue mouseover messages: I always felt that the DC colors were red and papyrus-color so the blue seems really out of place to me.

Other than that, yay! laugh.gif

Aw man, now that I have the new layout I can voice my displeasure. Viewing dragon pages look so ... mechanical and webpage-ish. Less like I'm looking at a drawing of a dragon and its written info, more like I'm reviewing potential candidates for a job.

I liked the old version because the info was so easy to gloss over if you wanted to, it wasn't the main star of the page so to speak. The boxes and colored blue bar at the top just contribute to the sterile feel, imo.

The 'user description' title is unnecessary too. The fact that it's in an entirely separate box shows it's not part of the official description. I don't think anyone has ever been confused and misled by user descriptions in the past to warrant an obvious title for that part.

So I got the page update and... I'm not in the least bit happy about it. A lot of the text alignment is a lot better, I'll give it that. But I find the overhead "Viewing Dragon: Name Goes Here" pretty redundant since the dragon's name is already in the list below.

What bothers me most is the icons are easy to mistake as something else. With the cog we have now, it just looks like a flower. And to add to that the chain links for the BBC codes looks like a dumbbell. With how small they are, the idea of just doing away with them makes the most sense. :/

The 'user description' title is unnecessary too. The fact that it's in an entirely separate box shows it's not part of the official description. I don't think anyone has ever been confused and misled by user descriptions in the past to warrant an obvious title for that part.

But without that it isn't in a "separate box" - unless I miss that by using St Pat's. I like that, in fact.

But I don't know what these blue mouse-overs are that someone mentioned - I would have had the blue "hidden" box - but I blocked that ages ago.

Hmm... now that I finally got it, I think I actually like it. I guess my only complaint is that the page looks 'unfinished' unless the dragon is adult, has at least one offspring (or has at least been bred), and is the offspring of other dragons. It just looks so unbalanced when they're eggs, hatchlings, or CB dragons.

Other than that though, like I said, I'm surprisingly ok with it (since I usually dislike change in general). I don't know what the blue mouseover things the other person was talking about are, so I'm not sure what to say about that.

Edited by silver_chan

Boy someone just hit my View page with an UGGGGLEEE stick! Why is the code/name so damned big? What the hell are those gear wheel thingies? Perosnally I think your Graphic Designer was either sick the day this page was designed or gave the designing of it to an unpaid intern. Type alignment is just unpleasant to look at.

Could we please make this really fugly page an option??

Comparison between Portal 2 (dark) layout.

Old:

user posted image

New:

user posted image

I have to say, it took me too long to find the 'actions' and 'links' boxes with the new layout (its almost camoflagued!)

I sort of relied on the last Portal layout to be convenient and quick and the new one just feels too disorganised to work the same way. I would love to be able to switch back to the old one but otherwise, I'd appreciate it if the actions link was made a little more noticeable. sad.gif

I kinda like it in that I appreciate that its trying to clean it up and make it easier to use and make the most important info easier to find. I think it probably needs a few tweaks, but I'm glad to see TJ Tweaking with important pages. he's pretty fantastic about taking feedback and if something doesn't look quite right to the players, he generally puts it back or makes the suggested tweaks.

Bit of getting used to, but however it turns out, again, I appreciate the effort being done on what seems something so small, but are the most common pages we use!

Here's my take on how I'd like to see the layout reformatted. I grabbed a quick stock image of a scroll for the (!) image and I imagine for the other scroll themes there'd be a different graphic to compliment the designs better.

user posted image

user posted image

First thought after seeing new layout... "What the BLEEP?"

Second thought.... "Is this a glitch?" Proceed to run to Forum. Find that it is not.

Final thought... "I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little." mad.gif

Hello! The new dragon view page rolled out on my mobile and I just want to say that the little gear as the action link is not intuitive at all. I figured out the links image because it's "standard" on the internet and I've seen it before. The gear still took a bit of thought to realize. "Oh. This is where actions are." What about users who need to rely on text or are not image savvy?

Please excuse typos as I am mobile.

I grabbed a quick stock image of a scroll for the (!) image and I imagine for the other scroll themes there'd be a different graphic to compliment the designs better.

Why does it need a graphic at all. You can see the fog ball.

I still hate the two links so close together.

Comparison between Portal 2 (dark) layout.

Oh, wait, is that what the new layout looks like on PC? Mobile looks waaaay different.

No wonder I've been so confused about these screenshots. That at least looks better than the mobile layout I'm seeing right now.

Why does it need a graphic at all. You can see the fog ball.

I still hate the two links so close together.

All of this.

Aw man, now that I have the new layout I can voice my displeasure. Viewing dragon pages look so ... mechanical and webpage-ish. Less like I'm looking at a drawing of a dragon and its written info, more like I'm reviewing potential candidates for a job.

I liked the old version because the info was so easy to gloss over if you wanted to, it wasn't the main star of the page so to speak. The boxes and colored blue bar at the top just contribute to the sterile feel, imo.

To put my post in perspective, this is what mobile layout looks like currently.

Link

You can't see other peoples' "last bred" date thankfully. Also appears this new layout messed up the quotation marks in my dragon's description. Fixing that would mean putting it back in review for the next two years =p

I don't know what the default layout is looking like to PC users, but I sure hope this isn't final for those of us on mobile.