Fuzzbucket

New view page layout

The big text is pretty out of place. I think if this were made smaller and less obtrusive, and moving the action/link links back to where they were before, it would look and feel a lot nicer.

Agree. Your #6 is pretty good, I could be happy with that. I very much want the Actions and Code links moved back where they used to be; that's my primary concern. As far as the big text at the top, I don't really care whether it's left-justified or centered as long as it's small. I could also be very happy with leaving the Name field in the left column and removing the big text at the top entirely.

Lastly, is anyone else other than me and High Lord November using the new layout?

Old layout for me.

Just going to throw up my thoughts from last time, as they haven't really changed much. (After all, the new layout hasn't exactly changed much since then either, as far as I can tell from screenshots.)

I think I agree with this. I really don't like the new layout, but after studying your side-by-side screenshots and a few others, I'm not actually sure why I don't like the new layout. The new vertical alignment on everything mostly looks nice if I study it closely, but Iunno, I'm just not feeling the layout as a whole.

As far as tangible critique, I don't like the font at all. It's too... fancy?, I think it got quite a bit smaller, and I don't like the color much. I'm simple when it comes to font, I like something simple and readable and black. (I can probably "fix" this myself with NoScript's font-blocking. I expect the new font to stay anyway, it looks more medieval and I suspect this is what TJ wants since it fits with the site's setting. But eh, I'll toss out my 2c for the heck of it.)

I also don't like where the Actions link is, and this is a huge problem for me. If I'm viewing a dragon on my scroll, 99% of the time I want its Actions link. Actions is not vertically aligned with anything, it's pulled off way into the middle of the page, and the link itself is tiny (see: grievances about font). It's also positioned right next to another link (Show HTML/BBCode Links) which is quite a bit bigger and which I literally never use. I'd highly prefer to see Actions resynced with the left column and Show Links resynced with the right column, where I can never accidentally click one when I mean the other.

Also agree with you about the icons, drop them entirely imo. They're unnecessary.

Last but most important - people are reporting a number of ugly glitches with the new layout, and I just don't wanna deal with any of that.

My personal preference is it centred over the dragon to make it look more in-line with the action etc. links, but I also like it with it to the left. Just smaller please.

Seriously, smaller would help immensely. Although it does look nice in the middle to me too for the reasons you listed. Thanks for the previews!

This just showed up for me today, it was somewhat jarring at first but I could get used to it.

However, I agree with the OP that the cogs look out of place. I'm on the default site skin which I've always liked because it looks like a literal scroll. On a scroll, cog symbols look very weird.

Also, the dragon's name is in really really big font. Too big. Especially for dragons with long names.

The rest of it is fine to me, just new. Nice that the description is noted as being a user description now. The above two points do bug me a bit though. Just my opinion.

As for the specific words Viewing Dragon, I agree those words aren't necessary. I think having Unnamed (xxxxx), or Gemcat Sarah (yfPgR) would work much better. There are times when I need the code and others I need the name.

Cheers!

C4.

This, also, I dislike the font of it. Idk. The black lettering seems so out of place below the white "DragonCave" on the default layout. It feels like it should be slightly brown, instead of solid black or something, to go with the papery feel of everything else.

Also, If your dragon's name is long, it disappears in the "Name" field rather than wrapping onto another line. And the title itself looks pretty bad with the way it just wraps and doesn't indent or anything. Although some of that can be attributed to the placeholder name. I do think it would be much better without the "Viewing Dragon:" because... no, duh, you know you're viewing a dragon.

user posted image

Edited by Anz96

Yep agreed, making font smaller helps. Centering helps imho too. But best option of those pics was not even available. NOTHING over the dragon. The name of the dragon is already in top left column and everyone knows you are viewing a dragon.

I can get used to the new alignment of things, and the cog things are totally out of place but I'll get used to it. What I really don't like is the huge bold "Viewing Dragon". I mean, I just don't get it. Why is that needed? It says the name on the top of the left column, right? Why do we need it *twice*, and why so BIG?? It looks ugly and takes attention away from the sprite itself.

I can get used to the new alignment of things, and the cog things are totally out of place but I'll get used to it. What I really don't like is the huge bold "Viewing Dragon". I mean, I just don't get it. Why is that needed? It says the name on the top of the left column, right? Why do we need it *twice*, and why so BIG?? It looks ugly and takes attention away from the sprite itself.

I'm using the new layout, and I didn't notice until it was pointed out that the name is in two places.... but *only* for dragons with names. If its nameless.... there's nothing there.

Cheers!

C4.

And why do we need the words 'viewing dragon/egg/hatchling'? sad.gif

It doesn't add anything useful at all. Just the name or code at the top, centred, would be so much better! Perhaps with this I could be fine with the new layout, though I still would not be happy.

And please, please, please can the cog and chain be replaced with something more medieval or simply arrows? This is a medieval setting, for goodness sake, why is it being so google-ized!

And please don't write me off as being annoyed with the new layout just because it's a change. I understand how changes make me feel, and I can generally tell the difference between something annoying me because it's new, and something annoying me because of a legitimate reason. If I feel that I dislike something purely because it is not what I'm used to, I will say so. In this case, that is not the reason.

I like most of the new layout, I've been using it for a few days now. What I don't like is the 'viewing dragon XXXXX', I agree it's too big and bold isn't needed. It is too close to the dragons sprite, taking away from them. I do like it to the left, not centered, but it would help if it was smaller. I would also like the two links to be moved to the top of the columns. They are crowded as they are now. I'm not sure why we need the dragons name listed twice. Over all I'm happy with it though.

No one seems to be talking about the mobile version of the new layout, and I have to say, it has some serious problems. Aside from the front page being glitched:

user posted image

The new lineage page looks terrible and confusing without the grid lines:

user posted image

I thought I was just slow to get it, but when I noticed it today it was immediately, look for the option for the old way xP

TJ please at least make it a choice, like with the skins.

I also don't know why the "owner" info switched sides, but that's not as big a deal.

See, small tweaks like this I'm fine with (although it might need swapped with something). I do keep losing track of the owner due to the switch. Although I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it.

I know that this might seem like a relatively minor complaint, but it affects everyone. I'm also of the opinion "if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it".

I'll repeat this in every thread its stated in: something doesn't have to be broken to improve it or even change it.

They could easily be separated by a bigger SPACE, too.

That's just personal opinion, though. I personally prefer the symbols because space I would find jarring and not a good separator. And seconding Switch:

"i like the cog and chain icons as well, i mean, they're pretty harmless. they separate the links. they certainly do their job."

Otherwise, I like it just fine. It looks better than the old one, and the note about the "User Description" I hope is a hint of a change in descriptions that is on the horizon. Pax Diaboli models it, for those with the new layout:

http://dragcave.net/view/kaayF

I was totes gonna bring this up because I love it. Don't have time to read through the whole thread right now, but may I suggest...

Someone with the new layout submit and then check the view page or check the view page of a dragon with a pending description? ;3

Using is different from looking at it. I truly do not notice the big text on the normal layout unless I'm looking for it... and I'm using it.

^^^

And why do we need the words 'viewing dragon/egg/hatchling'?

Another change I don't mind - just having the code or name at the top.

TJ please at least make it a choice, like with the skins.

Again, this just makes testing things too much work for no gain. Not everything needs to be optional.

It doesn't add anything useful at all. Just the name or code at the top, centred, would be so much better! Perhaps with this I could be fine with the new layout, though I still would not be happy.

And please, please, please can the cog and chain be replaced with something more medieval or simply arrows? This is a medieval setting, for goodness sake, why is it being so google-ized!

And please don't write me off as being annoyed with the new layout just because it's a change. I understand how changes make me feel, and I can generally tell the difference between something annoying me because it's new, and something annoying me because of a legitimate reason. If I feel that I dislike something purely because it is not what I'm used to, I will say so. In this case, that is not the reason.

THIS ! I LIKE the new default skin - a big change - but I cannot actually use it because of the movement and because it simply hangs a lot and stops me hunting. If it behaved itself I would happily use it. I have it as my desktop wallpaper... Don't tell me I don't LIKE it ! But THAT could use fixing, before taking the time to tinker with something that was OK before. Tinker with things that work AFTER fixing things that don't. (If Mr Flappy were a part of hunting, I would have had to give up hunting completely... at least when fertility is being used, one has TIME to spare !)

The cog and chain here are out of place for period/appearance, and the HUGE print is too. However, the user description thing is GREAT.

And YES - that really is redundant. as is the name repetition.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Oh yeah, there's twice the name info ...

What I might like would be having the "Viewing dragon" line in a brownish colour like the info labels below the dragon ("Laid on:" etc), and slightly smaller. It could also say the code *despite* having a name, like suggested before: "Viewing Dragon: Beauty of Ugliness (Ivug)"

The line "Name: " from below the dragon then could simply vanish.

I just wrote a description for her (so it's clearly still pending), in case anyone with the new layout would like to check: https://dragcave.net/view/Ivug

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I'll repeat this in every thread its stated in: something doesn't have to be broken to improve it or even change it.

As long as feedback's listened to from the community to adjust aspects of the unneeded change, then it's ok. I gotta say that smaller title text is a necessity just because it's so jarring and totally out of place. It's literally the largest text on all of dragcave, identical from the biome headers except the biome headers have a lot more empty space and the focus is down low so it isn't taking away from anything. Can't we make the name text the same as "The Cave" header on the main page?

That's just personal opinion, though. I personally prefer the symbols because space I would find jarring and not a good separator. And seconding Switch:

"i like the cog and chain icons as well, i mean, they're pretty harmless. they separate the links. they certainly do their job."

If they remain there, then I guess they're necessary as a divider and I can get used to them.

Edited by High Lord November

As long as feedback's listened to from the community to adjust aspects of the unneeded change, then it's ok. I gotta say that smaller title text is a necessity just because it's so jarring and totally out of place. It's literally the largest text on all of dragcave, identical from the biome headers except the biome headers have a lot more empty space and the focus is down low so it isn't taking away from anything. Can't we make the name text the same as "The Cave" header on the main page?

If they remain there, then I guess they're necessary as a divider and I can get used to them.

If images are deemed essential, can we at least not have something more in keeping ? Someone said arrows, crosses... The chain is, I suppose, less out of place (think dungeons) than the cog. But still....

Just to play devil's advocate here for all those who are saying the cog is out of place in time:

According to Wikipedia: Early examples of gears date from the 4th century BCE in China[3] (Zhan Guo times - Late East Zhou dynasty), which have been preserved at the Luoyang Museum of Henan Province, China. The earliest gears in Europe were circa CE 50 by Hero of Alexandria,[4] but they can be traced back to the Greek mechanics of the Alexandrian school in the 3rd century BCE and were greatly developed by the Greek polymath Archimedes (287–212 BCE).[5]

I do not have the new layout, yet. As someone generally resistant to change, I am not sure I like it, but I am sure I will get used to it. I didn't think I would like teleport, either! blink.gif

Just to play devil's advocate here for all those who are saying the cog is out of place in time:

According to Wikipedia: Early examples of gears date from the 4th century BCE in China[3] (Zhan Guo times - Late East Zhou dynasty), which have been preserved at the Luoyang Museum of Henan Province, China. The earliest gears in Europe were circa CE 50 by Hero of Alexandria,[4] but they can be traced back to the Greek mechanics of the Alexandrian school in the 3rd century BCE and were greatly developed by the Greek polymath Archimedes (287–212 BCE).[5]

I do not have the new layout, yet. As someone generally resistant to change, I am not sure I like it, but I am sure I will get used to it. I didn't think I would like teleport, either! blink.gif

True - as I recall I had already conceded that they date way back in another thread. BUT - different things look different at different times. This one comes over as a very MODERN cog. Very REGULAR. Machine cut.

Here's an image of your antithykera one, purple

user posted image

Read all about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Not quite like !

I ALWAYS wanted teleport, myself biggrin.gif So let it not be said that I always resist change tongue.gif

Yes, Fuzz, I saw that picture, too. But I think that gear has suffered some ravages of time and was more regular when it was new. Really a cog has to be in order to be truly functional.

But I shall call an end to this argument as really somewhat off topic. wink.gif

Except that the latest screenshot we got from it in TLQ does *not* feel clean and organized at all.

I think it does. Everything is subjective, and there's never going to be a conclusive opinion on anything.

"I don't like it" is not good enough grounds to cancel a site-wide update. It's not like themes, where it affects the whole site and there are legitimate reasons for offering an option; this is a slight aesthetic change in the layout of the page which has approximately zero effect on how you are able to use the website.

As for it "not fitting", do you think the word 'clicks' is medieval? is Portal 2 medieval? or for that matter, why does the site use the gregorian calendar when that wasn't invented until 1582? And that magikarp needs to go, pokemon didn't exist in medieval times!

The site has plenty links to the real world already, a cog and a chain really shouldn't be the straws that broke the camel's back. And honestly? I think this whole complaint is a little bit pedantic. I objected to a lot of the much larger changes implemented in the cave (and still do, naming none here to avoid controversy), but I got used to it because in the end, it is just a game.

Edited by dracocharky

user posted image

I feel this image needs to be brought up again. You can say that cogs/no cogs, or alignment, or even the "viewing dragon" boldness, is up to personal preference. But what about this? A really long name looks unbelievably cluttered, and the "name" portion collides with the "gender" portion. I have multiple dragons that have names up to the limit of letters, and I don't want it to look like *that*.

I feel this image needs to be brought up again. You can say that cogs/no cogs, or alignment, or even the "viewing dragon" boldness, is up to personal preference. But what about this? A really long name looks unbelievably cluttered, and the "name" portion collides with the "gender" portion. I have multiple dragons that have names up to the limit of letters, and I don't want it to look like *that*.

For the record:

This kind of thing, and the thing with the glitched mobile home page, aren't actually part of the same problem as this thread is complaining about. They're errors in the coding, not features of the layout. Speaking as a Computer Science student, I can tell you now that this kind of thing is VERY HARD to completely eradicate before you test it on the real website; there should be a separeate thread for things like this where certain data is having an adverse affect on its appearance.

As for it "not fitting", do you think the word 'clicks' is medieval? is Portal 2 medieval?

No, but it isn't the default, so that's not that relevant. The cog and chain, though, serve no useful purpose except to space things. Other images would do better if there are to be images at all, and would take exactly NO extra coding.

I am SURE they used the word clicks way back. Not in the same context, but...

Yup - widely used in the 16th century, at the very least. I could get my huge OED out, but I haven't time.

Edited by fuzzbucket

If you know anyone who has been diagnosed with OCD you could have an interesting and possibly quite long conversation about that particular viewpoint.

Change simply for the sake of change can be exceedingly difficult for some people to deal with and it seems to me that DC has a good number of people who fit that category. Perhaps the nature of this game attracts many of them.