Fuzzbucket

New view page layout

and the note about the "User Description" I hope is a hint of a change in descriptions that is on the horizon. Pax Diaboli models it, for those with the new layout:

http://dragcave.net/view/kaayF

I can't screen-shot right now, so if someone else who has the new layout wants to, feel free!

Cheers!

C4.

how come you got your description approved so soon? O_O mine are sitting for even years and are still not approved(nor rejected)... :/

the 3 oldest are waiting for nearly 2 years (since June 2014)sleep.gif another for nearly a year (April 2015) and other 2 for about half a year.

What the...? What's going on? :/

If the reason is you seing the new layount and me not then though I disllike it , I want it - I want my descriptions accepted at last... if that's the cost, I'll pay

Edited by VixenDra

how come you got your description approved so soon? O_O mine are sitting for even years and are still not approved(nor rejected)... :/

the oldest is waiting for nearly 2 years (since June 2014)sleep.gif another for nearly a year (April 2015) and other 2 for about half a year.

If the reason is you seing the new layount and me not then though I disllike it , I want it - I want my descriptions accepted at last... if that's the cost, I'll pay

It has nothing to do with the new layout - the order they are approved or not happens fairly randomly. What's wrong with auto-approve?

(I have no idea about the status of my descriptions, but surely auto will be the answer ?)

the 3 oldest are waiting for nearly 2 years (since June 2014)sleep.gif another for nearly a year (April 2015) and other 2 for about half a year.

I PM'ed a mod about that specific description, and they were kind enough to approve it. Some of the mods do that. In truth, its the only way to get descriptions approved, these days.

So no, it has nothing to do with the new layout other than that it might, possibly, be a subtle hint of something to come. I really, really, really *hope* it is, at any rate! The current way descriptions are done, really doesn't work....

Cheers!

C4.

"User description" should be "dragon description" since it's not the user being described xd.png

Definitely the current way doesn't work:( At all.

I'm also for auto-accepted descriptions, report option for those should do the trick if there's sth wrong.

Eh, then thank you for telling me, I really started to think it's the matter of seign new or old leyout...

omg and sthe 'user description' vs 'dragon description' xd.png

But I think it's named so to distinguish what the user wrote from the original game text?

Edited by VixenDra

I have the new default layout when I access the cave using Firefox but when access using Chrome, I see the old layout. I think I'll be using Chrome from now on. dry.gif

"User description" should be "dragon description" since it's not the user being described xd.png

No - I think the idea is that it is the user description OF the dragon, and is an indicator that if it is all illiterate and silly, it is the user's fault, and nothing to do with TJ.

I have the new default layout when I access the cave using Firefox but when access using Chrome, I see the old layout. I think I'll be using Chrome from now on.  dry.gif

I think that's chance. I don't know what computer you have, but Chrome is no longer updated for XP, for instance. But I see Cyradis' page in the new style on Chrome, and I have the old layout on firefox. (I looked at C4's dragon there simply to avoid logging out.)

I HATE Chrome, anyway.

Edited by fuzzbucket

No - I think the idea is that it is the user description OF the dragon, and is an indicator that if it is all illiterate and silly, it is the user's fault, and nothing to do with TJ.

I think that's chance. I don't know what computer you have, but Chrome is no longer updated for XP, for instance. But I see Cyradis' page in the new style on Chrome, and I have the old layout on firefox. (I looked at C4's dragon there simply to avoid logging out.)

I HATE Chrome, anyway.

The new layout is being rolled out in stages. For some strange reason, I first saw it (for one night) at home about 2 months ago. Then at work and at home it was the old layout until about a week ago, when for 1 day again at home it was the new one. Then the other day at home and at work it switched to the new one. Not sure if it'll hold, but for now at least its stayed with the new one.

Cheers!

C4.

It's odd that she sees both versions depending on browser though...

This may mean that there is a browser check in place, to test only specific browsers first.

I like the second image:

user posted image

It has the same organization of things as the old layout, but it is more distinguishable: the colored labels and the spaces between words makes it easier to read, more table like. What I dislike is the huge "VIEWING DRAGON", which has no sense. I can understand, and like, the name of the dragon being big (and perhaps the code, but I would put it into the table in smaller font), but that viewing dragon is too out of place and useless. Furthermore, the action and show links should be putted under the "table" and not under the dragon. I know that before they where just under the dragon but in the table, so it didn't catch too much attention, but right now it's too evident, it ruins a bit the dragon presentation. With cog or cog-less, I don't mind if they just stay under the table.

This may mean that there is a browser check in place, to test only specific browsers first.

But I see C4's new layout in Chrome and in regular form in FF - and she's the other way around.

ETA I like the action link at the top, not the bottom. Mostly when going to that page that's why one would be going there, after all. I don't care where the code one is, as I never use it - but it makes sense to have them together.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I like the second image:

user posted image

It has the same organization of things as the old layout, but it is more distinguishable: the colored labels and the spaces between words makes it easier to read, more table like. What I dislike is the huge "VIEWING DRAGON", which has no sense. I can understand, and like, the name of the dragon being big (and perhaps the code, but I would put it into the table in smaller font), but that viewing dragon is too out of place and useless. Furthermore, the action and show links should be putted under the "table" and not under the dragon. I know that before they where just under the dragon but in the table, so it didn't catch too much attention, but right now it's too evident, it ruins a bit the dragon presentation. With cog or cog-less, I don't mind if they just stay under the table.

I have to agree with this. At the very least, I'd like the "Actions" and "Code" links moved to the right and left with the other text, and possibly the chain image moved to the right of the words?

Also, since some people do not like the cog and chain images, maybe change them to arrows?

Another suggestion I have is to have more space above and below the dragon sprite with no text, and to remove the "Viewing Dragon:" part. Leave just the name/code, or maybe both? Name in bold, and code un-bolded?

I like the second image:

user posted image

The screen shots do not include the huge black banner and DC logo at the top of the page. The huge Viewing Dragon does not look bad, and isn't very noticeable, with the top banner. I think its the light dark / dark light contrast between the huge words and the DC logo right above it. So, unless someone can post a screen shot of the header too....? I can't, right now.

As for the specific words Viewing Dragon, I agree those words aren't necessary. I think having Unnamed (xxxxx), or Gemcat Sarah (yfPgR) would work much better. There are times when I need the code and others I need the name.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

I use both regularly: action link, code link, and the information on the dragon page itself such as the dates, the lineage link and the progeny link, and sometimes also the breed link.

I suppose on a mobile device, having the actions and code links on top of the page is more desirable than on a stationary computer with a bigger screen where everything is visible on the screen anyway.

Wherever the actions and code links are going to be put in the end: as long as they don't *move* like the actions themselves used to do on the actions page, it'll be okay.

And I think I figured out what's up with this layout:

user posted image

Its Hawk's username. The "Actions" are pushed further into the center of the page by the very long user-name. My own Sapphires don't show that extension. I've seen similar things happen in Word, when using different justifications.

Cheers!

C4.

Why did the dates, clicks, gender and location get their column-like alignment from the previous new layout killed then?

Why did the dates, clicks, gender and location get their column-like alignment from the previous new layout killed then?

Oh, that! That's pretty clearly a formatting fail. Mine does not show that, it shows the columns aligned perfect on both sides. I'd try a hard refresh, see if that fixes it.

When I'm home, I'll provide screen shots of what it looks like on mine, assuming the layout sticks around for me this time xd.png.

Cheers!

C4.

The screen shots do not include the huge black banner and DC logo at the top of the page. The huge Viewing Dragon does not look bad, and isn't very noticeable, with the top banner. I think its the light dark / dark light contrast between the huge words and the DC logo right above it. So, unless someone can post a screen shot of the header too....? I can't, right now.

As for the specific words Viewing Dragon, I agree those words aren't necessary. I think having Unnamed (xxxxx), or Gemcat Sarah (yfPgR) would work much better. There are times when I need the code and others I need the name.

Cheers!

C4.

Here you go, on St. Pat's skin. The text is very obtrusive here.

user posted image

Edit: if you want to see it with a full size dragon: https://i.imgur.com/FDUXsBd.png

Edited by Sapphire Ryu

^ Thanks for the St. Pat's image. I still have the old layout. The gigantic "Viewing..." text will take some getting used to. blink.gif That's probably the part that bothers me the most.

The big text is pretty out of place. I think if this were made smaller and less obtrusive, and moving the action/link links back to where they were before, it would look and feel a lot nicer.

Here is how it would look if the top text were centred and smaller. How do you guys find these? Should it be even smaller or should it be fainter or what?

These two are the examples given above in the St. Patrick's Day skin with smaller text and centred:

1)

user posted image

2)

user posted image

This one is the above but even smaller:

3)

user posted image

This one is small text but to the left:

4)

user posted image

This one is on the small centred text on the default skin (I think this is still a bit larger than it should be and larger than the examples above by accident, didn't compare them 100%, but it gives a general idea):

5)

user posted image

This one is on the small centred text on the default skin with the action/html links moved back to roughly where they were before.

6)

user posted image

Edited by High Lord November

Oh, that! That's pretty clearly a formatting fail. Mine does not show that, it shows the columns aligned perfect on both sides. I'd try a hard refresh, see if that fixes it.

When I'm home, I'll provide screen shots of what it looks like on mine, assuming the layout sticks around for me this time xd.png.

Cheers!

C4.

It looks fine when you view it as an outsider - without the actions line - maybe just needs one more line break so as not to slip. But (I am viewing in another browser so as not to log out so am seeing in in the default skin!) the big stuff does NOT vanish into any black edging - not at all. The Huge Words are still HUGE.

@ HLN - the last is the best.

Edited by fuzzbucket

The big text is pretty out of place. I think if this were made smaller and less obtrusive, and moving the action/link links back to where they were before, it would look and feel a lot nicer.

Here is how it would look if the top text were centred and smaller. How do you guys find these? Should it be even smaller or should it be fainter or what?

Thanks for the views on that! Seeing it now, it seems best that they make it the size you did in 1) and 2), along with removing the bold. The bold just is unnecessary with as large as the text is, along with it being on the top of the page before you even see the sprite. So yes- Making the font smaller, centering it, and removing the bold seems to look the best to me. Thanks again!

Edited by Sapphire Ryu

Thanks for the views on that! Seeing it now, it seems best that they make it the size you did in 1) and 2), along with removing the bold. The bold just is unnecessary with as large as the text is, along with it being on the top of the page before you even see the sprite. So yes- Making the font smaller, centering it, and removing the bold seems to look the best to me. Thanks again!

I agree, I think if it's made smaller like in the examples and unbolded it would look good.

My personal preference is it centred over the dragon to make it look more in-line with the action etc. links, but I also like it with it to the left. Just smaller please.

Edited by High Lord November

Using is different from looking at it. I truly do not notice the big text on the normal layout unless I'm looking for it... and I'm using it.

As for making it smaller, I don't care one way or another, truth to tell, but I'm not sure I like it centered, either way. The logo and links are to either side, at the top, in the normal layout, and the big text goes with them the way it is. It being in the center is.... disjointed.

I would not, however, mind seeing the Actions and Codes shifted the way its shown, though I'm not sure if that's habit talking. That's the one thing that's irritating, about the new view page. Also a little more space between the dragon and the big words wouldn't be bad.

But over all, I'd wait to try to get it to change until you yourself are using it, and can see for yourself how noticeable something is while using the Cave.

Lastly, is anyone else other than me and High Lord November using the new layout?

Cheers!

C4.