Fuzzbucket

New view page layout

user posted image

This is how I would like to see the page rearranged

Oh! I quite like that. I wish the change was like that, I think I would be pretty happy with it that way

user posted image

I really really like this version ohmy.gif

-snip-

I like this, and hope TJ considers it. I don't hate the new version, and it definitely is more logically arranged, but it feels more scattered, and this is a solid middle ground.

Edited by The_Bucket

I also like Cinnamin Draconna's version. I like that I see the sprite first before anything else.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/Lad...zps1lzrw7xk.gif

I'm like the name below the sprite (looks good, no space issues), but again, I don't like "actions" being completely left justified. I prefer centered, but if I have to pick a non-centered action, I like where fuzz aligned the links with the column text instead of titles. That way the eye is still drawn to them and they are easy to find. Completely left justified looks weird and hidden to me.

I have decided to just get used to the new layout, including unnecessary symbols - I'm quite sure I can adapt to it with time. Right now I'm just worried I'll miss something (like an AP egg having a lineage instead of being CB, or something being sick because the OMGCHANGES distract me from seeing what usually would have caught my eye), but it will get better soon if I just keep looking at view pages. smile.gif

For those who make suggestions for changing it, maybe a list of all the information that can appear somewhere on the page would be useful. I've tried to make one, hope I didn't forget anything.

Black = always visible (all stages, all owners)

Blue = invisible on other people's dragons

Green = may be invisible (depending on owner's settings, dragon's family, dragon's age...)

- Actions

- Show HTML/BBCode Links

- Name

- Code (currently not shown if a name is available)

- Owner

- Stolen on OR Laid on

- Hatched on

- Grew up on

- Overall views

- Unique views

- Clicks

- Breed

- Father

- Mother

- View Lineage

- Children (Name, Name, ...) OR View Children

- Last Bred

One difficulty in finding a "perfect" layout is the many different possibilities of visible / invisible / nonexistant information. Of course some of the lines I marked green can only be there if others are not, so the space can be reserved for either "father, mother, lineage" or "location" - but one of them takes three lines and the other just one, so it can't look the same no matter what we do.

The "children" part can itself take one or two lines (maybe even more), depending on the number of children - first it gets longer when the dragon has more children, then the list of children is completely replaced by the progeny link which is only one line.

... And now that I've thought about it so much, I'll probably have to try and make my own suggestion. tongue.gif

Edit:

If we want to remove the giant "Viewing dragon: Name" line*, the information that it is a dragon (or hatchling, or egg) we're looking at could be moved to an additional line in the information block below the dragon. It could be named "Stage" or "Status" and include "(hidden)", "(frozen)", "(uncorporeal)" and whatever similar things there are.

*Edit2:

I would like to keep the "Name:" line below the dragon, and have it show the code if the dragon doesn't have a name. That would be nice for dragons who are unnamed because their code is meant to be the name.

Edited by Confused Cat

Love love love Cinnamin Draconna's version. smile.gif Way nicer!

Since the new version rolled out for me a few days ago, I can't stand looking at a dragon's view page. It looks cluttered, half-finished, and worst of all (like people have already said) the sprite is completely overwhelmed by everything else. It's one of the last things to catch my eye, instead of the first like it should be. I feel like I'm looking at a glitched page instead of my scroll. =/

I noticed TJ removed the dragon's name line from the left column, so it doesn't appear twice on the view page - just at the top now. I appreciate the change, since that was my biggest 'peeve' with the layout.

I agree with Sock, I really like the central placement of the Actions link. I frequently use it, and having it closer to the middle is easier for me to access. Now the Show HTML/BBcode link, does that see much use anymore? I think I've clicked on that a whole one time in the past few years, just to test out a glitch someone posted on the Help forum. If that ends up being moved elsewhere I won't feel bothered.

I'm honestly fine with the layout as it stands now - I've had quite a while to get accustomed to it and it's improved a lot since it first rolled out to a small group of users. I'm not really for or against a lot of the changes being proposed, I can live with almost any of them if they do get implemented. I'd just like to be able to keep my Actions somewhat centered. It's the one change that is actually helpful to me as opposed to simply being about appearances. ^^

I noticed TJ removed the dragon's name line from the left column, so it doesn't appear twice on the view page - just at the top now.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out! I like that change. I am actually getting used to the Actions link in the middle too. I had a hard time with it the first day (I kept going to the left instinctively), but not so much now.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out! I like that change. I am actually getting used to the Actions link in the middle too. I had a hard time with it the first day (I kept going to the left instinctively), but not so much now.

Oh for sure! I distinctly recall the struggle of retraining my muscle memory to learn where the Actions link had moved to. xd.png Even though I liked the new position, it was still frustrating that I kept moving to the left to click a link that wasn't there anymore. So I feel for all the people going through that now.

I noticed TJ removed the dragon's name line from the left column, so it doesn't appear twice on the view page - just at the top now.

It must not have been changed on all skins yet, because I'm still seeing the name twice on the St. Patricks skin.

I noticed TJ removed the dragon's name line from the left column, so it doesn't appear twice on the view page - just at the top now. I appreciate the change, since that was my biggest 'peeve' with the layout.

I agree with Sock, I really like the central placement of the Actions link. I frequently use it, and having it closer to the middle is easier for me to access. Now the Show HTML/BBcode link, does that see much use anymore? I think I've clicked on that a whole one time in the past few years, just to test out a glitch someone posted on the Help forum. If that ends up being moved elsewhere I won't feel bothered.

I'm honestly fine with the layout as it stands now - I've had quite a while to get accustomed to it and it's improved a lot since it first rolled out to a small group of users. I'm not really for or against a lot of the changes being proposed, I can live with almost any of them if they do get implemented. I'd just like to be able to keep my Actions somewhat centered. It's the one change that is actually helpful to me as opposed to simply being about appearances. ^^

Agreed. The only time I ever even see the HTML/BBC code page is when I'm picking up eggs. I think switching the lineage link with the show HTML/BBC code link might look a bit better

It must not have been changed on all skins yet, because I'm still seeing the name twice on the St. Patricks skin.

I switched my site skin to St. Patricks to see if both names would show up there, but I can only see one on that skin too. Maybe it hasn't updated for everyone? Although that would be strange.

user posted image

I'm still seeing the name in both places on default, too.

I like the name under the dragon better than the giant title above it... As always, you probably can't make everybody happy. tongue.gif (Unless everybody gets their own skin that matches their preferences exactly.)

I use the default skin, and the dragon's name and the owner's name are still on the left, above the "Stolen on / Laid on" line. I like having the names grouped like that.

I think I could learn to live with it if these changes occurred:

- The name was put under the sprite. The sprite is the thing we should see first.

- The light brown text was made darker. It's not so much of an issue for me but it is harder to read and readability is a big deal.

- The right hand column was moved left an inch/half an inch so dragon's progeny lists/bite lists don't look so cramped or if they were allowed half an inch/an inch more space on the right.

- The actions link was moved over to align with the left column and the links link was moved over to align with the right hand column (like Cinnamin Draconna showed with her mock up). They look weird and kind of lost in the middle.

- The icons from both links were removed to fit the medieval theme again or making them look medieval.

- Users with a bronze trophy were given the ability, in account settings, to switch off the big warning boxes and helpful hints for newbies which more experienced users find patronising.

Don't know whether this final thing is a thing or a glitch but I'm going to say it anyway:

- If eggs/hatchlings fog and unfog the way they used to. The new way (if it is new and not a glitch) feels like a glitch and has the potential to confuse less experienced players.

Edited by Cireth

My eyes aren't used to it yet. Might benefit from a thin border separating the sections, maybe?

I'm envious of everyone who still has the Blackout skin:

For all the ones who are curious how the new layout will be looking if you still cling to the Blackout Skin.

user posted image

Actually that is my first adult dragon on my scroll on page one without an offspring.

Tigerkralle gave me permission to post this here.

It looks nice here. The name isn't too big, and it's centered over the dragon.

Why can't they all look like this?

It's not fair. Why did I switch out for the default skin??? WHY?

Unpopular opinion here, but I personally like it. It's different, yes, but I LOVE different. It will take getting used to, however. But I do like it. *shrugs*

Generally speaking, I like the new page layout, but there are two-ish changes I'd like to see to it (and I expect one of them to be potentially unpopular):

1) The "User Description" title in the dark Portal 2 skin is not as neatly separated as for the main skin. You can see that if you look e.g. at Karyorrhexis's view page while having that skin selected. I'd like to see it in the dark grey that the 'name:', 'owner:', 'stolen on:' labels are in, and with a space before and after it, so it doesn't just look like two random bolded words in the middle of the text. smile.gif

2) I would really like to see the labels (not the values) right-aligned. (This is the bit I think might be unpopular.) Basically, right now, there's a huge difference in the space between the 'name:' label and its value, and the 'overall views:' label and its value. (I feel like it would also make sense to treat the 'View Children' link as a value rather than a label in that case.)

ish) I'd like there to be a guaranteed space between the label and its value. 'overall views:' in the dark Portal 2 skin doesn't have any space at all after the colon and before the number.

(Also, entirely specific to the dark Portal 2 skin, the "Actions" and "Show HTML/BBCode Links" links have a label and not a link colour, which looks wrong. I played around with it and tried to give it regular link colours, but that also looks wrong, so I have no real suggestions how to fix it. Maybe have the symbol be the label colour and the text the link colour? IDK...)

Images to help:

My issues #1 and #ish circled.

View page mockup (addressing #1, #2, #ish, but not the "IDK" stuff about the links near the top)

Edited by pinkgothic

The light Portal 2 skin still shows the name.

I believe he will fix the other layouts as soon as possible. I'm certain the new view page layout has to be applied to all the skins individually instead of it being "universal."*

I think he's focusing on mostly the default layout, and fixes will happen shortly with the others.*

*These are just speculations. I have no idea if I'm right. xd.png