~!~

Remove (okay) Egg Limits

I'm not in favor of removing egg limits or even increasing them crazily (12, 20, 50, etc), but I definitely 100% think there should be an adjustment by now. 10 years into the game, there's a ton more dragons than before (like mentioned above me), and I like two ideas together:

S2 hatchies don't count towards your base 21 (with gold trophy) limit- they can after all fend for themselves!!

And as pederino suggested, per x amount of dragons there is another base egg slot added.

Edit: or, instead of per x dragons, for those that want to keep it more old school, add one or two new trophy levels. Diamond, master....

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

I'm always a bit puzzled by the fact that so many would like to increase the egg slots limit for the people with a Gold trophy but there's little, if any interest, on increasing it for new members.

Fairness-wise, I really preferred the "thrown-out-there-passing-by" idea suggested by TJ: time-based slot.

This is not self-interest, I got the Gold trophy quite a bit ago.

Also: Have I been gone so long that I've lost my reputation for ridiculous suggestions?

No idea if you lost it, but, in the meantime, I earned it tongue.gif

Edited by NotBambi

I'm always a bit puzzled by the fact that so many would like to increase the egg slots limit for the people with a Gold trophy but there's little, if any interest, on increasing it for new members.

I think the reason for that is that most of us who are really active on the forums have been around quite awhile and already have a ton of dragons. We say add to the top limit because it's what we have. New users find reaching the gold trophy exciting (at least I did) but once you have it you kinda just stagnate. There are no goals past the gold trophy except ones you give yourself.

Have to agree with Kovia here.

Besides, after one year of playing, you're not a new member, either. So that wouldn't help them any more than some extra trophies with extra egg slots.

But there are various ways to increase egg limits (and, as a consequence, overall limits, since the overall growing things limit is tied in to the egg limit, as TJ confirmed at least once).

• Time-based egg slot, which you get after 1 year of playing.
  • Additional trophies with higher limits. (Downside: Will only really benefit hoarders.)
  • An additional egg slot for someone who has at least one dragon/drake/dino/whatever from 80% of all non-holiday species. (Just in case someone doesn't like some sprite or other.)
  • BSA-based, temporary egg slots. (Might help with some blockers...)
  • Additional breed-only egg slots, like we used to have one before "the change". (You could grab 4 eggs and breed a 5th.) In this scenario, self-bred hatchlings might not even count towards the limits because it's not you, but their parents taking care of them.
  • If we ever get an in-cave store, there could be a limited number of eggstra egg slots for sale.
  • Discern a number of "blocker breeds" or "underpopulated breeds" at the beginning of a week/month. Eggs and hatchlings of those breeds do not count towards the limits. (Hard to explain with some lore, but definitely a good idea to give players an incentive to pick up blockers.)
  • A simple increase in egg slots. Just like that. No rules, no stipulations. New players start with 6 eggs, bronze trophy get to raise 7 simultaneously and so on.

Discern a number of "blocker breeds" or "underpopulated breeds" at the beginning of a week/month. Eggs and hatchlings of those breeds do not count towards the limits. (Hard to explain with some lore, but definitely a good idea to give players an incentive to pick up blockers.)

This actually gives me a great idea to couple with breed "migration."

Site automatically determines a breed that is in low demand and decides to make it go away temporarily. In lore: The continent we live on has become inhospitable for that dragon in one way or another so they're migrating.

So, a lot of dragons of this species leave their eggs in the care of other dragons, namely the dragons on our scroll. Hence, free egg slots (our adults are helping us raise the eggs.) EDIT: Maybe the number of bonus egg slots is based on the number of dragons you have? Perhaps the number of dragons of that kind specifically, or ones with the same elemental affinity? And I should point out that Biting the egg will make it's dragon foster parents no longer interested in helping raise it, so it'll start counting toward your limit again, so it'll get auto-abandoned if you don't have space for it.

After this period, maybe two weeks or so, that breed stops showing up in the cave entirely, then comes back some months later. (Of course, this screws with the ratios a bit, so it would require a functioning migration feature first. I've been gone for a while so idk how those are working nowadays. Last I knew TJ had never actually told us how the ratios work.)

Edited by ~!~

Very helpful. Care to tell us what suggestion, exactly, you're talking about, and what your reasons for that most eloquent "no" are?

If that 'no' was in response to breed 'migration', then my answer to that is also a resounding no. Increased egg slots would allow those of use who like common breeds that don't move very well to pick more of them up. Some of us spend a lot of time egg-locked.

Migrating breeds out of the cave entirely is going too far.

Migrating breeds will come back though, I don't see how that is going too far? It's not like we are asking for a breed to be retired.

If that 'no' was in response to breed 'migration', then my answer to that is also a resounding no. Increased egg slots would allow those of use who like common breeds that don't move very well to pick more of them up. Some of us spend a lot of time egg-locked.

Migrating breeds out of the cave entirely is going too far.

I agree 100% with this. It's hard enough with just seasonals being - well, seasonal. And then there are horrible accidents - like the year there were no winters anyone could find. That held up lineages something AWFUL !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Migrating breeds will come back though, I don't see how that is going too far? It's not like we are asking for a breed to be retired.

Agreed. Would be temporary. If anything was to happen, i.e. "horrible accidents', well... TJ is pretty good at fixing glitches.

Eh, I don't know if I'm a big fan of migrating breeds though- there are the winter situations, plus just look at how rough lunar heralds are already without adding stuff like this in. I see too many issues between players and the game (a lot of which I personally wouldn't care one way or another, or would find out how bad I care once it came into play), and I think there are better suggestions out there instead....

Now that it's been brought up, the issue with trophies being best with hoarders- I do like the time based egg slots, even if it's only per year you're playing. Though that would mean people with 17 eggslots? Max 31?

Also, the bsa timed egg slot would be interesting, but how would it work? dragon uses x to give you 22 max slots, 8 eggslots, but after x time it wears off. You have 22 dragons- do you auto abandon one? Or would it be made so you just simply stay locked until you fall back under 21... And how would having multiple dragons use it work- say, have 100 eggslots.... I dunno, seems like it would definitely get too messy, like the migration issue, when I personally think we have better suggestions out there.

So, I now stand with 1) S2 hatchies don't count towards your base 21 (with gold trophy) limit- they can after all fend for themselves!!

and either or- 2) per x amount of dragons there is another base egg slot added OR per x time you've been playing

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

And if I'm working on a lineage, or planning a lineage, that requires a dragon that suddenly gets rotated out of the cave? Just because a breed is not moving quickly does not mean that it is not moving at all. Disrupting actual play is going too far, even if the dragons eventually come back.

I am completely in support of additional egg slots - I especially like the time-based slot. But telling people that they cannot play the game their way because the majority of players is not playing it that way is not fair.

Site automatically determines a breed that is in low demand and decides to make it go away temporarily.  In lore:  The continent we live on has become inhospitable for that dragon in one way or another so they're migrating.

Absolutely, unconditionally no. It's already a gigantic pita to find whatever you happen to be needing. I swear even blockers vanish when they're needed. Don't need a game mechanic to actually vanish them.

I'm in favor of a time-based eggslot. Could even get behind one extra eggslot per year of play.

I swear even blockers vanish when they're needed. Don't need a game mechanic to actually vanish them.

I'm in favor of a time-based eggslot. Could even get behind one extra eggslot per year of play.

ROFL. Since they vanish anyway, where is the difference? Sorry, just kidding. I think.

I'm ready to sign on the extra slot, be that one or one per year.

I didn't mention it because I figured it was obvious, since this thread is all about making the cave move faster, but I wasn't thinking "migration" would affect breeding at all, just what you can find in the cave. Because, it's the wild dragons that are leaving - your dragons at home are just hanging out and can breed normally. So, so long as you have all the CBs you need for your lineage, you won't be affected. (And, if you need to grab a lot of CBs before the breed goes on hiatus, that's what the extra egg slots right before the hiatus starts are for.)

Mind, this would only happen with breeds that are already low-demand and easy to get in the cave.

Also, I don't understand why people who aren't hoarders need lots of egg slots. If your playstyle means you don't want a massive number of dragons, when are you going to want 8 eggs at once? Conversely, if you're a player who always has the maximum number of eggs on your scroll, you're going to accumulate dragons pretty quickly.

Also, I don't understand why people who aren't hoarders need lots of egg slots. If your playstyle means you don't want a massive number of dragons, when are you going to want 8 eggs at once? Conversely, if you're a player who always has the maximum number of eggs on your scroll, you're going to accumulate dragons pretty quickly.

Yes and no. Think about people that want one egg and are offering four. Personally I would like to have enough slots to accept that offer, even if, in general, I can manage with 7 without any issue.

Neglected exps take a massive amount of scrollspace; each egg ties up a slot for a week, and doing multiple exps at once is favorable for a variety of reasons. People hatching stuff for other people also use a lot of slots, although in a world with infinite slots (as described in your original suggestion) that no longer happens. Gifters also use a lot of slots. I could probably keep myself locked 24/7 with Breeding & Gifting eggs if I wanted to, just because it takes time for people to pick stuff up. A day here, two days there, it adds up.

Neglected exps take a massive amount of scrollspace; each egg ties up a slot for a week, and doing multiple exps at once is favorable for a variety of reasons. People hatching stuff for other people also use a lot of slots, although in a world with infinite slots (as described in your original suggestion) that no longer happens. Gifters also use a lot of slots. I could probably keep myself locked 24/7 with Breeding & Gifting eggs if I wanted to, just because it takes time for people to pick stuff up. A day here, two days there, it adds up.

These are fair points, and things I hadn't considered...

Although if it is true that how many dragons you have is an unreliable predictor for how many egg slots you need, why are egg slots tied to scroll size at all? Why not just give everybody 7 egg slots?

I suppose TJ is trying to reward people for hoarding tons and tons of commons, to make the ratios work out? If so (and if it's working) I definitely support more trophy tiers.

You guys are continuing to bring up a lot of good points as to why completely removing egg limits is a bad idea. (Although, I should mention, "I don't want it" doesn't count as a "good point.") However, the thread is generating some good ideas - I'm considering consolidating them into the first post, or merging the thread with the "Cave Blockers and how to deal w/ them" thread, but I don't want to derail the discussion currently in that thread...

I'm not sure about completely removing egg limits, but certainly a raise would be welcome. The thing I would absolutely welcome with screams of delight is an equal number of bred-only slots. Yes, raising eggs and hatchies is supposedly time-consuming - but I own the parents! Why aren't they mainly raising their baby, just in my "cave" (which, with the number of dragons I own, is actually probably a small continent by now).

I could totally go for, say, increasing caught egg limits to 8, then having 8 more spaces for self-bred eggs. If I have 8 self-bred eggs, it would not stop me catching 8 CB or AP eggs, but if I choose to breed more than 8 eggs then they would cut into the caught egg number. I can't catch more than 8 eggs, but that would not stop me breeding up to 8 eggs myself. If a bred egg leaves your scroll for any reason and then returns, it would no longer count as a self-bred egg (this continues the "mother dragon cannot tell her own egg" thing mentioned on the AP, even though it makes scant RL sense).

This would immensely help people who gift *and* people who like to breed lineages. Right now it's a constant struggle to balance eggslots for lineages/gifts vs. egg slots for collecting for scroll goals/trades/etc., and the issue is maddeningly magnified during Holidays, when I know that I certainly struggle to find room to catch lineages, breed lineages and gift lineages, even with the number of Holidays we have now, never mind in the future. It's bad enough that I ever so slightly dread DC holidays now. :/

I'm not sure about completely removing egg limits, but certainly a raise would be welcome. The thing I would absolutely welcome with screams of delight is an equal number of bred-only slots. Yes, raising eggs and hatchies is supposedly time-consuming - but I own the parents! Why aren't they mainly raising their baby, just in my "cave" (which, with the number of dragons I own, is actually probably a small continent by now).

I could totally go for, say, increasing caught egg limits to 8, then having 8 more spaces for self-bred eggs. If I have 8 self-bred eggs, it would not stop me catching 8 CB or AP eggs, but if I choose to breed more than 8 eggs then they would cut into the caught egg number. I can't catch more than 8 eggs, but that would not stop me breeding up to 8 eggs myself. If a bred egg leaves your scroll for any reason and then returns, it would no longer count as a self-bred egg (this continues the "mother dragon cannot tell her own egg" thing mentioned on the AP, even though it makes scant RL sense).

This would immensely help people who gift *and* people who like to breed lineages. Right now it's a constant struggle to balance eggslots for lineages/gifts vs. egg slots for collecting for scroll goals/trades/etc., and the issue is maddeningly magnified during Holidays, when I know that I certainly struggle to find room to catch lineages, breed lineages and gift lineages, even with the number of Holidays we have now, never mind in the future. It's bad enough that I ever so slightly dread DC holidays now. :/

Oh wow, I would love this! I have had zero time to breed anything because I'm still struggling to catch up to where I was. If I was able to breed things independently from catching them, that would be *amazing.*

I'm not in favor of removing egg limits entirely, though. There are so many issues with that that I think others have already covered very well.

I'd love that!!

It's really awful having to spend years on one lineage because you have to be too careful with slots. It took me almost a year finishing a metal x common lineage I was working on (and I only take my lineages to 5G), even when I had more than plenty CBs and extra mates of both breeds. I just couldn't try them or raise more than one egg because I had mare lineages, or I needed to give an egg to someone, or there was a new release and I had to drp them or, etc.

If you guys want to talk about extra bred-only egg slots, I'd prefer it if you take it to another thread, since that kind of thing goes against my goals with this thread (to get people to take more eggs out of the cave).

I would be in favour of increased egg/hatchie slots via trophy, but I would not be in favour of removing limits.

I would say, as a user, egg limits are not a problem for me - the op mentioned all users, which would include me but does not.

I see no problem in planning lineages carefully to use space in the best way. I could not be in favour of fully open season.

If you guys want to talk about extra bred-only egg slots, I'd prefer it if you take it to another thread, since that kind of thing goes against my goals with this thread (to get people to take more eggs out of the cave).

Our point is if we have slots for breeding that are separate from cave/AP slots, then we could take more out of the cave rather than using some for bred eggs. But I'd also be in favor of someone creating that thread.