TJ09

2016-03-20 - March Dragon Release

I'm just not sure why you think that a term used by jewellers would apply better to wild dragons then the natural state the stones can be found in themselves.

?? I don't? Not sure what you mean here. What I said was that I think the name 'sapphire' for the reason given doesn't make much sense because for most people 'sapphire' as a color name refers to a non-green-leaning shade of blue. Other people told me I should be OK with the name because real corundum comes in lots of colors, and corundum is often called 'sapphire' regardless of color. My response is, that doesn't work for me, because my issue has little to do with the color of the actual stone or how much the dragon could be said to resemble any particular ACTUAL sapphire. My issue is with the conflation of the COLOR TERM 'sapphire' with the GEMSTONE 'sapphire'. Does that make any more sense?

Edited by Lurhstaap

I'm personally fine with the name sapphire dragon, but the way I look at it, there are some far worse named species in real life that have no relevance to the species or anything it was named for, so I'm fine with it even if I thought it wasn't suitable.

Yes, but, again - do we use the term 'sapphire yellow' to describe colors? No. We don't. And what is meant when we use the term 'sapphire blue'? Is it typically a greenish blue? No. It isn't. My issue here is the conflation of the color of the actual stone, which, yes, I FULLY UNDERSTAND that the ACTUAL STONE comes in more than one color. I get it. Thanks. But when we say something is sapphire-colored, we don't mean it's one of those other possible colors of the actual stone, at least not 99% of the time.

My point stands. You don't have to agree with me about it, but I knew every single thing you guys are trying to tell me when I said it at the start.

Sapphire is defined as:

a transparent precious stone, typically blue, that is a variety of corundum (aluminum oxide).

•a bright blue color.

The dragons seem to meet all criteria set by this definition... since they're bright blue. Perhaps it's not the shade you personally would associate with sapphire blue, but there doesn't really have to be an issue about it.

Edited by Niyaka

Sapphire is defined as:

a transparent precious stone, typically blue, that is a variety of corundum (aluminum oxide).

•a bright blue color.

The dragons seem to meet all criteria set by this definition... since they're bright blue. Perhaps it's not the shade you personally would associate with sapphire blue, but there doesn't really have to be an issue about it.

It's not a 'bright blue' though, at least not on my monitor. It's VERY green. Closer to teal, in fact, than blue. I concede however that that part may well be more of a monitor issue than anything else and that the rest of y'all may be seeing something significantly less green tinged than I am.

EDIT: It also just occurred to me that the whole idea is silly anyway because no two people really see color the same way anyhow even without the intervention of inconsistent monitors. Just look at Asian languages with their lack of separate concepts for 'blue' and 'green'. Oh well then. xd.png

Edited by Lurhstaap

@Lurhstaap They're probably called sapphires instead of corundum she cause more people would know what a sapphire is more than corundum. And why does tj09 have two females?

It's not a 'bright blue' though, at least not on my monitor. It's VERY green. Closer to teal, in fact, than blue. I concede however that that part may well be more of a monitor issue than anything else and that the rest of y'all may be seeing something significantly less green tinged than I am.

That's strange, actually, because I can't see much green at all on mine. (I questioned that bit in the description.) I'll bet it is the monitor though, just like with Heartstealers.

Edited by Niyaka

@Lurhstaap They're probably called sapphires instead of corundum she cause more people would know what a sapphire is more than corundum. And why does tj09 have two females?

Sometimes he doesn't get around to freezing hatchlings before they grow up in these threads.

That's strange, actually, because I can't see much green at all on mine. I'll bet it is the monitor though, just like with Heartstealers.

I learned the woe of monitor color differences when I was an admin for a vaguely similar game site. It is straight up impossible to make one piece of art look right to everyone. It drove me SO CRAZY then and it bugs me to this day even though I'm long out of that line of work. I really do feel for spriters and primarily digital artists in general. For all I know the artists' seeing some really rich navy blue and has no idea what I'm talking about when I say it looks green!

Green and blue are very similar colours, so everyone will see them differently through their eyes and also through monitors.

To me the adults are what I'd describe as turquoise, similar to but not green enough for teal. On the colour scale the shades in the sprite are hue shifted from pale green to cyan to blue to purplish-blue, so it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Edited by Ashywolf

?? I don't? Not sure what you mean here. What I said was that I think the name 'sapphire' for the reason given doesn't make much sense because for most people 'sapphire' as a color name refers to a non-green-leaning shade of blue. Other people told me I should be OK with the name because real corundum comes in lots of colors, and corundum is often called 'sapphire' regardless of color. My response is, that doesn't work for me, because my issue has little to do with the color of the actual stone or how much the dragon could be said to resemble any particular ACTUAL sapphire. My issue is with the conflation of the COLOR TERM 'sapphire' with the GEMSTONE 'sapphire'. Does that make any more sense?

But most dragons aren't named after colours...? Idk, I think we just have different perspectives on it ^^ The name makes me think of the gemstones, and the gemstones come in a variety of colours, so it makes sense to me. But I get where you're coming from, I've always mentally thought of storms as fogs or greys rather than storms tongue.gif

This is true, especially for blue/green, but I feel like the differences to the eye would be less major if we were all looking at this as a piece of physical art. (Or maybe we just wouldn't be able to tell so clearly that we were seeing different stuff? Who knows? Color perception science ack)

For those asking why TJ has two females -- he will revert one to hatchling stage and freeze it later. That always happens.

As someone who organized her crayons by tint... Sapphire bugs me. As a nerdy person that loves gemstones... it's cool.

xd.png

Either way, pretty! /grab!

Thank you to the spriters for lovely dragons; and thanks to TJ, for bringing them back. wink.gif

Yay, just snatched 2 deserts! I kept refreshing and failing. So many of the orange and blue eggs were just in the desert...

Not likely. Complaining does not usually bother TJ! I think he is just remedying a mistake.

Or, considering that TJ seems to have a mischievous sense of humor, maybe he thought "do you really want a flood? what about one that will drown you?"

Yeah, must be another flood or something; they're all I saw in the desert, and I saw a bunch of Sapphires in the other biomes. I managed to nab another Antarean :3

Edited by Natakiro

When will these floods end? I'm afraid they will cause damage to the value of the dragons.

When will these floods end? I'm afraid they will cause damage to the value of the dragons.

When the ratios settle down and they're dropping as they should normally. At this point, people are still collecting, so it's not like they're worthless or anything. wink.gif

Gosh, now I'm both egg AND scroll locked! So much Antareans and Sapphires! I think I'm just going to give out half of the Antareans I caught in this new flood.