TJ09

2016-03-20 - March Dragon Release

*shivers*

I hope they do not become cave blockers. The suprise flood is kinda scaring me.

Considering what is going on, I'm guessing they will be cave blockers. But, who cares, they are still beautiful!

If its intended I would like to say a big thank you!

I´m too slow to catch one but it is very generous to give out another flood.

I wouldn't mind honestly!

But I think TJ just made them flood to stop complaining to be honest xd.png

Not likely. Complaining does not usually bother TJ! I think he is just remedying a mistake.

Now I am a bit sorry that I filled my scroll with other things and was only able to catch one more in the recent flood, but to me it indicates that they will be at least a bit more common than we feared.

Shajana, thank you for the information and lovely artwork!

The recent flood makes me feel better about the level of rarity with these guys. I'm hoping they will breed well.

holy biscuits, these drops go by fast! blink.gif Not even half a minute and the biome empties quick as lightning rolleyes.gif *still tries to catch an egg or 2*

Ah, thank goodness! I resigned myself that I wouldn't get any CB Sapphires until they evened out (took only Antareans first) but thankfully I can at least (hopefully) have a chance at getting them in this flood. Thanks TJ!

Most likely though like others said, it was probably a ratio thing. I don't think any were dropping for a while so it seems like that had to be fixed.

laugh.gif I still can't catch one even with the "flood." I'll keep trying though. tongue.gif

Edit: Finally got more. I'm so happy. T_T

Edited by Eos

It's pretty funny trying to catch one in the flood, this hour I didn't get one but that's fine. Where are they all going? laugh.gif

Yay, was quick enough to catch 3 more "dustbutts" and 2 more Sapphires! biggrin.gif Think I'll try and get 1 more "dustbutt" to even them out hehe

*Edit* Caught 1 happy.gif Now I'm locked hehe laugh.gif

Edited by FluffyPillow

The "sapphire" dragons are HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY misnamed. They don't resemble sapphire in any form in the slightest. I mean, sheesh, the parts of them that are blue aren't even a remotely plausible sapphire blue. They're greenish, even teal. And last I checked, red is not a sapphire color, ever. I could deal with that if the body color were actually an appropriate shade of blue for the name, but it's not even close.

The dragon itself is lovely, but I refuse to use that name for it, personally. It's like if the gold dragons were called "platinum dragons" or "steel dragons" just because their hide looks like metal. I don't think that would make much sense to most people. This dragon being called 'sapphire' because its hide resembles a gemstone makes just as much sense to me.

Don't get me wrong - I like the dragon itself a lot. I just think the name is a 100% misnomer.

Edited by Lurhstaap

The "sapphire" dragons are HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY misnamed. They don't resemble sapphire in any form in the slightest. The dragon itself is lovely, but I refuse to use that name for it, personally. It's like if the gold dragons were called "platinum dragons" just because their hide looks like metal. Yeah, but not THAT metal.

Don't get me wrong - I like the dragon itself a lot. I just think the name is a 100% misnomer.

Sapphire is actually used to describe all (rubies are sapphires, technically) colors of corundum, not just blue sapphires. Infinis replied to that a few pages back. They definitely come in that blue-green color.

Edited by weaseldale

The "sapphire" dragons are HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY misnamed. They don't resemble sapphire in any form in the slightest. The dragon itself is lovely, but I refuse to use that name for it, personally. It's like if the gold dragons were called "platinum dragons" just because their hide looks like metal. Yeah, but not THAT metal.

I honestly feel like this too in a way. Sapphires when natural and not heat treated are actually the light colors of the hide, but there is so much red that it might as well be called Fruit Gem dragon because there's just as much ruby as there is sapphire. I get they were trying to go with the "bright color attracts insects" theme too, but... I think it might've been overdone. tongue.gif

Well that was a surprise, was just bored and thought i'd look what was droping and they where flooding again o.o

Sapphire is actually used to describe all (rubies are sapphires, technically) colors of corundum, not just blue sapphires. Infinis replied to that a few pages back. They definitely come in that blue-green color.

Rarely, yes, by some. But not commonly. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work for me. If the name was CORUNDUM dragon I could roll with that. But I've only seen "sapphire" used for all corundum stones rarely and mostly by gemologists or similar. For me, that's not good enough. The name should reference what's COMMONLY understood, not a rare "well it technically kinda works because of XYZ". By that logic I could say a golden colored steel dragon made sense because it's possible to tint steel a gold color and that is sometimes done. Yeah, it's -possible-, but is it common? Is the average person going to follow that? No. I already all of knew that when I made my post. It doesn't help me. Thanks though. smile.gif (Not being sarcastic.) It's not like my opinion of the name particularly matters anyway. It's just a personal pet peeve.

Edited by Lurhstaap

So happy about the sudden flood- finally managed to get some eggs...!! It took a few tries but I got a bunch so I'm super happy.

The "sapphire" dragons are HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY misnamed. They don't resemble sapphire in any form in the slightest. I mean, sheesh, the parts of them that are blue aren't even a remotely plausible sapphire blue. They're greenish, even teal. And last I checked, red is not a sapphire color, ever. I could deal with that if the body color were actually an appropriate shade of blue for the name, but it's not even close.

The dragon itself is lovely, but I refuse to use that name for it, personally. It's like if the gold dragons were called "platinum dragons" or "steel dragons" just because their hide looks like metal. I don't think that would make much sense to most people. This dragon being called 'sapphire' because its hide resembles a gemstone makes just as much sense to me.

Or maybe not...

user posted image

Also, from wiki:

Sapphires of other colors

Yellow and green sapphires are also commonly found. Pink sapphires deepen in color as the quantity of chromium increases. The deeper the pink color the higher their monetary value, as long as the color is tending toward the red of rubies. In the United States, a minimum color saturation must be met to be called a ruby, otherwise the stone is referred to as a pink sapphire.

Sapphires also occur in shades of orange and brown. Colorless sapphires are sometimes used as diamond substitutes in jewelry. Natural padparadscha (pinkish orange) sapphires often draw higher prices than many of even the finest blue sapphires. Recently, more sapphires of this color have appeared on the market as a result of a new artificial treatment method called "lattice diffusion".

Edited by kerrikins

Or maybe not...

user posted image

Also, from wiki:

Sapphires of other colors

Yellow and green sapphires are also commonly found. Pink sapphires deepen in color as the quantity of chromium increases. The deeper the pink color the higher their monetary value, as long as the color is tending toward the red of rubies. In the United States, a minimum color saturation must be met to be called a ruby, otherwise the stone is referred to as a pink sapphire.

Sapphires also occur in shades of orange and brown. Colorless sapphires are sometimes used as diamond substitutes in jewelry. Natural padparadscha (pinkish orange) sapphires often draw higher prices than many of even the finest blue sapphires. Recently, more sapphires of this color have appeared on the market as a result of a new artificial treatment method called "lattice diffusion".

As I said in my post above, I'm already aware. Doesn't help me. Thanks though.

Rarely, yes, by some. But not commonly. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work for me. If the name was CORUNDUM dragon I could roll with that. But I've only seen "sapphire" used for all corundum stones rarely and mostly by gemologists or similar. For me, that's not good enough. The name should reference what's COMMONLY understood, not a rare "well it technically kinda works because of XYZ". By that logic I could say a golden colored steel dragon made sense because it's possible to tint steel a gold color and that is sometimes done.

Not quite, because sapphires come in those colors naturally. They aren't treated or tinted. All other colors of sapphire are actually called "color sapphire" except for rubies and I think one other pinky-red color. That's the only way their referred to afaik. Yellow sapphire are pretty common in jewerly.

Edited by weaseldale

Not quite, because sapphires come in those colors naturally. They aren't treated or tinted. All other colors of sapphire are actually called "color sapphire" except for rubies and I think one other pinky-red color. Yellow sapphire are pretty common in jewerly.

Yes, but, again - do we use the term 'sapphire yellow' to describe colors? No. We don't. And what is meant when we use the term 'sapphire blue'? Is it typically a greenish blue? No. It isn't. My issue here is the conflation of the color of the actual stone, which, yes, I FULLY UNDERSTAND that the ACTUAL STONE comes in more than one color. I get it. Thanks. But when we say something is sapphire-colored, we don't mean it's one of those other possible colors of the actual stone, at least not 99% of the time.

My point stands. You don't have to agree with me about it, but I knew every single thing you guys are trying to tell me when I said it at the start.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I feel you, it does seem a bit strange to use a common term like sapphire for something that most people wouldn't think of as a "sapphire" color, technical status be hanged. Ah well, still very pretty dragons regardless, just another one of those little ??? things in DC x'D

I'm just not sure why you think that a term used by jewellers would apply better to wild dragons then the natural state the stones can be found in themselves.