Polar

Extraterrestrial

Her eyes turned as icey and ridged as his when he offered her sympathy. "I'm sorry about your mom, truly I am, but I didn't lose my mom. My mom lost me. " She said, hurt crept in to her voice. She shook it off taking a deep breath.

"You can if you want. Just please.. my dad spent years trying to get that copy when he was growing up. He doesn't part easily with them and the last time he left a rare copy with someone... " once again she tenses, shaking a little before shaking her head so hard her ponytail whipped side to side.

"Enough. I'm sure you have to go. Next time though... let's not get into family details. Sometimes things should be left unsaid. Have a safe flight back." She left him with a small smile before jumping out without the ladder. She landed on the roof of a car on top of a six foot pile of scrap and eased herself down the pile to her bike and took off, waving with one hand.

~ ~ ~

Maklar straightened to join her when the dog shook himself. With a sound like a hissing kimono Dragon, he sprang up and onto the top of the waterfall in one jump. He shook the droplets out of his hair very much like the dog did. "Dont like getting wet. " he says between shakes. He sat Chris cross when he was sure when he was dry again. "What's a rainbow?" He asked tilting his head.

((Unsure if they have rainbows with two suns and the light color could affect how one looks.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume." Zahar said smoothly, his natural charisma unleashing as he sought to diffuse the situation. "Don't worry, no harm will come to it. As a matter of fact, I can promise it won't leave the ship. My father probably wouldn't be pleased if he found my spare time was used fraternizing with humans - no offense to you, of course, it's just how he thinks. I'll get the copy to you as soon as I'm finished, promise. It won't be harmed." He moved to stop her from leaving before sighing - he couldn't control her. He wasn't prince here - he certainly couldn't force her to stay. "Yes, I have many... princely things to do." He nodded stiffly, mind racing as he tried to think of a way to avoid his father for the rest of the day. "No family details next time, got it." He sighed, watching her go before lifting the books with his mind, one hand out to hold them steady while he pulled open a drawer by his pilot's seat, pulling the borrowed items to him and storing them safely inside before closing the drawer and standing up. "Home." He sighed, snapping his fingers to shut the hatch, "Right."

~ ~ ~

Liv's jaw dropped as he cleared six feet of rock in one jump, staring at him in bewilderment as he shook his hair out much like a dog before saying he disliked water. "What?!" Her voice was a mix of astonishment and curiosity, and despite the natural inclination to feel fear the only thing she felt was awe. "That was awesome! How did you do that? Even Jackson, my oldest brother, can't do that, and he's six foot five and a gymnast!" She bounced up and down slightly, studying him with curiosity in her silver-gray eyes. Suddenly, they lit up. "Hey! I think I just figured it out! There's no way a normal human couldn't do that so I have to know... are you a mutant or an alien?" She disregarded his question, staring at him with eager curiosity.

Edited by polaristar

Mäklär blinked tilting his head. "A bit of both I guess. More...crossbreed then the race I come from. Hmmm... the closest thing I can say would be the human stories about the weaker more brutish cousins, Dragons. I am more from the royal family, of the Dragün(dragoon) but on Rasabol I am mearly a nobleman. Highest rank, and best friend with the Prince, but seen as a nobleman there. I didn't know how you would respond, humans have been known to have...unique responses to higher intelligence."

~ ~ ~

Rose watched the spot from a distance to see if she would see him leave. Sighing after a few minutes, she checked off of work and headed to the hospital in her rusted beat up Volkswagen buggy and visited her dad, bringing him rosemary and Thyme, a joke between the two of them, indicating both of their names. The Baker family always had the traditional way to name a child or a few children after a ingredient used in cooking, or incense, or medicinal herb . Her grandfather was Frankincense, (Frank for short) and her aunt who went by Rika or Pap, was paprika.

((Apologies, I'm still here. I was gone all weekend, sorry. I'm just really busy most of the time - I haven't left.))

"You're related to dragons?!" Liv exclaimed excitedly, rocking forward and viewing him eagerly. He didn't seem dangerous, and after the initial meeting Malachi didn't seem to mind him, which made Maklar okay in Liv's books. "That is awesome! Do you have any special powers? I've never met a nobleman before - don't get too much of a chance, not 'round here." She rolled her eyes at him. She wasn't scared of anything - there were worse things roaming the woods than aliens, at least in her opinion. "Humans can be weird that way - our government views higher intelligence of any sort as a threat - not that I don't think you can take care of yourself, but..." She pursed her lips, looking slightly troubled. "Your people should be careful. There's no telling what sort of things they would do to any of your kind." Her countenance seemed to shift after that, moving to curious. "So what's your planet like? Is your best friend stuck up since he's prince, or is he more of a down to the earth, listen to the people type of prince?" She wiggled slightly, excited.

~ ~ ~

Zahar's ship landed easily, and he swept out of his ship, not daring to linger should he raise suspicion. As he assumed would happen, a guard greeted him immediately, saying that his father had requested his presence in the throne room. He made his way immediately, cape billowing behind him in the wind that had kicked up over the landing platform. The prince fingered the hilt of his sword as he made his way to his father, troubled. He entered the throne room, noting his father's rigid posture on the throne and his displeased look. "Father, I apologize for my absence. I was unaware that my presence was needed today." He said formally, giving a slight bow and hesitantly meeting his father's eyes.

"Yes, well, there was nothing for you to do. Though you should alert me personally when you decide to go gallivanting through space, not alert one of the guard. You are not yet twenty-one, and therefor still a child. You still need my permission." Zahar's father sounded angry, though his voice was a normal level as to not raise suspicion. "See me later for punishment."

"Of course, Father." Zahar said quietly, dipping his head. "Am I free to leave now, or do I have duties to perform?"

"You are free to leave, though I expect to see you at noon in my private quarters. Understood?"

"Yes, Father." He dipped his head before slipping out of the room, eyes troubled as he approached the guard. He needed to find his best friend. "Do you know where Lord Maklar is?" He asked the guard.

"Yes, my prince. As I have heard he traveled to an undisclosed Earth location not five minutes after you yourself left." The guard said respectfully with a slight bow.

"Thank you." Zahar nodded in return before heading back to the privacy of his ship, pulling up its holographic interface and calling his friend, tapping his foot impatiently. "C'mon Maklar, pick up, pick up, pick up."

His eyes flashed like fire as he grinned. "You seriously think your pathetic weapons would work on Dragün scales? Nothing on my planet has yet to pierce them, except for my siblings' claws and teeth." He huffed, face going back to its usual stoicness. "Lot's of questions for a human girl. Yes, I am related to dragons, I do have abilities, although not the usual kind from my planet. I'll get to my planet later and he's a good Prince, well liked by the-oh hold on... pardon me for a moment." He hopped down walking partway into the woods and answered the call. "Prince Zahar. Good morning. You look like kiri tore up a document again. I still can't find the little Fox squirrel. What is bothering you? ..... Him again?" He tilted his head using his foot to keep the dog from licking his face and his voice low to not be overheard.

((I'm going to hold on rose for a few posts...))

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((Sorry for the late response. Hopefully things will become more regular, but no promises with Camp Nanowrimo just around the corner. I feel bad though, I wish I had the time coughwasn'tsolazycough as to post more often.))

Zahar gave a somewhat unprincely like snort. "Nah, Kiri hasn't torn up another document. The mischievous little thing is probably causing havoc around the castle somewhere, no doubt. Unless someone managed to grab him, though I doubt that."He heaved a heavy sigh. "Not happy that I decided to go 'gallivanting through space' as he so tactfully put it. Just wanted to give you a heads up - maybe you could start a diversion if you're not busy? What are you doing, anyway?"

~ ~ ~

"Well than I'm glad my concerns were for nothing, then." Liv said, flashing him a grin. She huffed slightly, looking mock offended. "I have a name, you know. And not using it hurts me. You know where it hurts me? Right here." She tapped where her heart was before grinning. Maklar started explaining as she listened in fascination. He was interrupted midway, however, by what she assumed to be some sort of alien-phone-call. He had hopped down and went a little ways into the woods - and being the curious, reckless person that she was, Liv decided she wanted to know what was happening. He was in her woods, after all. She knew he would see her if she slipped off the rock, so instead she made her way to the top of the waterfall, jogging silently on the opposite bank before reaching a downed log that served her as a bridge only a few hundred feet away. Easily, she crossed it, looping around and crouching behind a tree, close enough to hear him but farther enough away as to not be seen. "...Him again?" She heard the nobleman question, irritation obvious in hiss voice. Who was he talking to, exactly? And who was this man he spoke of with such distaste?

((It's fine. I squeal when you do post and it makes my day smile.gif I understand business. I'm going on a vacation soon anyway so no biggie!))

"You know that decree, the one about high ups when they come of age? That's what I'm doing. I can head back if you need me. One epic sneeze would light the south east tower roof on fire. You know I like seeing the face of the Adviser when his ridiculous pointy toed shoes are on fire. Sorry if I'm a little vague. Humans are quite irritating especially when they know I can turn them to ash!" He said louder for liv to hear him. "This particular one is quite...ack! Get your dog! Stop! Stop it you mutt!" He said as he pushes the dog who was attempting to lick his face away as gently as he could to not hurt the animal.

((Haha that makes me pretty happy, ya know smile.gif Glad I make someone's day a bit better, considering how mine is going... then again a cold and a fever does that to a girl xd.png ))

Zahar's eyes widened slightly before he burst out laughing. "Oh. My. Gosh. This was your parents, wasn't it? No way you'd ever choose to do something like this. Oh, gosh. This is gold. Wait until Captain Falrin hears about this - he'll never let it go!" Zahar continued snickering for several more seconds before composing himself, ignoring the death glare he knew his best friend would send. "No need to blow up the palace - it'd take weeks to rebuild. Just accidentally start a forest fire on the hunting grounds reserved for noblemen and the king or something. Nothing to drastic, just enough to put the palace into a frenzy." He snorted. "But yes, I agree. The Adviser's face would be priceless." Slight surprise crossed his features when a dog all but tackled Maklar and started licking his face, tail wagging quickly. Zahar snickered at his friend's predicament. "Well, you seem to be busy so just come back while you can. Have fun fulfilling that decree!" He gave his friend a crap eating grin before ending the call, smirking. He hadn't even met the girl yet but he knew that his friends had his hands full. Especially considering she was a human.

~ ~ ~

Liv grinned, somewhat sheepishly, when he raised his voice purposefully to let her know that he knew she was there. She wasn't sure exactly how he knew, but she wasn't exactly intimidated by his empty threat. She started chuckling, making her way easily down the gentle hill, when she saw Malachi 'attacking' Maklar with slobbery kisses. "Mal, down. C'mon boy, be good!" She called to the dog halfheartedly, snickering at Maklar's slightly miffed expression. Mal stopped for a moment before barking and resuming his attack with more enthusiasm. Liv gave the dog a disapproving look and gave a sharp whistle. "Malachi, heel!" The dog instantly stopped, trotting to Liv's side but giving Maklar a regretful look. "Well, at least we know he likes you." She grinned. "Sorry 'bout that. You really don't like liquid of any kind, do you?" She rubbed Malachi's furry head as the dog's tongue lolled out in a pant. "If you need to get back I understand - but you have to come back and visit again! Life here can be so boring!" She said, exaggerating the word.

((Aww no fun being sick! sad.gif all the fun seems to drain out out of the nose. Skip till next meeting after this?))

"What no! Zahar don't you dare tell- aaannd he's gone. Ick!" He wiped off his face. "I probably will if my parents get their way. And I love magma, and water is just fine, I just don't like getting in it. Or covered in it." He got up and bowed to her once more. "Good day human girl." He fake coughed "liv" he coughed again. "I must be off, duty calls." He about turned and went to his ship flying back to his home.

Once he arrived back he landed by the Prince's ship and slipped inside wanting to see it for himself. He stopped and sniffed the air, grinning.

Fifteen minutes later dark smoke curled up from the king's hunting ground and Maklar was walking calmly to the Prince's chambers. He knocked on the door, announcing himself before stepping inside. "Captain Falrin would never let it go indeed. Especially when I show him these." He sets a cloth bag on the table and reaveled the books. "They have a very flowery smell, and in this one it says 'property of Rose' although the writing looks like the family mechanic's" he said holding the book on art flipping through the pages. "Humans are interesting."

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((Sure, that works. I would have responded sooner but I've been out of town. And yup, that works.))

Zahar stared in horror as Maklar set the bag of books on his desk. "You just had to go snooping around, didn't you?" He groaned. "I won't tell him - but if you mess those up my blood is on your hands - she'll kill me, prince or not." He grumbled. "You know you can be such a killjoy sometimes. Maybe this girl of yours will cheer you up a bit. Or at the very least make you less hostile." He smirked. "I can't wait to see what will happen. My money is on you'll be engaged within six months."

~ Skip to Next Meeting ~

It was almost a week before he was able to leave again - this time with his father's permission. Fortunately, his punishment was forgotten in favor of beating out a forest fire, so Zahar counted it as a win and moved on. He read most of the books quickly, soaking up the information. He landed in roughly the same place as before, climbing out with the books floating behind him as he walked briskly towards the junkyard, glancing back once to make sure his ship was cloaked.

Rose was at the spot, this time in a lovely light green sun dress with light blue flowers all over it, a large floppy hat and sunglasses on. She ran up to him. "Hello! I've been waiting. Did you like those books? I'll show you my place and the bunker for the next time you come, just like I promised!"

-----------

Maklar doubted he would be engaged in six months. When his own ship landed and he got out, he immediately went to the waterfall. He hoped she was there. The evening before, his brother burned his back while sparing and his scales where healing, the new ones under the scorched ones. It itched like crazy and he could reach back to pull it out himself. His mother was too busy this morning to assist him.

So he had a file for his spines, and a few tools in a bundle under his arm. He was sure she'd jump at the chance to see him as a Dragon.

((Ahh, sorry. I just have so. Much. Schoolwork.))

Zahar flashed her a grin, his startlingly white teeth flashing in the bright sun. "Yes, they were enjoyable - quick reads, compared to the Upper Study's textbooks these are children's books!" He said with a chuckle. "Don't take any offence to it - I'm sure you humans will catch up eventually. But until then, I have bragging rights." He said with a smirk. "Ah, yes. The bunker. I almost forgot - with all the mostly-useless things I have to oversee I almost forgot. I'm honestly not sure why my father doesn't let our adviser oversee the junk - that's kinda what he's there for." He rolled his eyes before grinning again. "And your Marvel comic looks untouched, just as I promised. I really did enjoy that. I particularly liked Thor - though the fact that he isn't native to Earth may have been a factor in that decision."

~ ~ ~

It had been almost a week since Liv's dragon friend had visited, and she was starting to become impatient. She was currently seated on the ground, her back leaning against the sturdy bough of a pine tree. She was reading a book, sunglasses on even though she was shaded from the hot sun. Malachi was currently swimming in the pond, seemingly content in entertaining himself. It was his excited barks that caught her attention, and she snapped her book shut, setting it down and hopping to her feet. Maklar was standing at the waterfall, almost looking lost, with an excited and very wet Malachi charging at him at full speed. "Mal!" She said, giving a sharp whisle. "Come!" The dog slowed before stopping, glancing unwillingly between his master and his draconion friend. "Mal..." Liv said warningly. The dog gave a huff before trotting back. "Good boy." She praised her canine companion before giving Maklar her attention. "Do you know how long a week seems when you're waiting for your new alien friend to come back?" She didn't wait for him to answer before continuing. "Forever." She noticed the bundle he was carrying. "Whatcha got there? Aren't planning on cutting me open, are ya?" She asked with slight sarcasm before grinning.

((It's okay. On vacation))

"That's great! Now I don't have to knock you out with a monkey wrench. Come on my car is this way. "She lead him to the south exit near them and to a..... thing more rusty then the cars in the junk yard. It was an old Ford pick up truck. She got in and after five minutes of gassing, and muttering both prayers and encouraging words the thing coughed and sputtered to life. "Yes! Atta boy! Good Kyle. Oh, Zahar, this is my truck, Kyle, Kyle, Zahar. Please don't insult Kyle he's stubborn like I am. Now get in! Quickly now! He can't last long in the heat!"

Maklar blinked. He set down the tools on the rock and rolled it open. They looked like a mix of horse care things and blacksmith tools and something like a chisel and another like a big hand saw only it was graded like a nail file. "My brother burned my back during training yesterday and now it itches like crazy. The healed scales under the scorched ones are very hot so you might need Dragon skin gloves. My mother would have done it this morning, but she didn't have any time. And because I was once again ordered here, I thought you would like to help. Besides, you get to see my Dragon form. "

"And for that I am gratefully." Zahar drawled, following behind her towards her car. He was familiar with them, of course, as one of the studies required to take was basic Earth history, but he had never actually ridden in one. Needless to say, it was a bit lower-tech than what he was accustomed to. He blinked. "You named your car Kyle?" He questioned, flicking the books gently into the backseat by use of his telekinesis before sliding in the front. "You know I think I'll ditch my cape next time - it'll make things easier." He shut his door and waited patiently. "Any particular reason it - erm, Kyle - is so stubborn? Is he broken or just old? Because if it's broken, I can take a look."

~ ~ ~

"Like I would say no to seeing a dragon!" Liv exclaimed with an excited grin. "So how does this work? I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to scaled creatures - no offence meant, of course - I'm better with mammals. So basically, I may need a little bit of instruction before I do... whatever it is you want me to do."

"Kyle was brand spanking new in 1943." She started to drive the car down the highway. "My great grandfather was named frankincense. Everyone called him Frank. He was in the army. A lieutenant. His younger brother wanted to be with him so at the age of sixteen, he lied about his age and joined the the army. He got deployed to the front lines in world war two. His name was Kyle, and like everyone else in my family, he was a mechanic. Frank came back and bought this beauty for his younger brother on his birthday, Frank was honorably discharged from losing his right hand. A month passed and... Kyle was killed. Saved his commander and five other men from an ambush. Frank named his brother's favorite truck after him and it never left the family. I was the only one that got it running again after sixty years of being untouched. " rose said somberly.

------

"First, get those gloves on. I'll walk you through..." he moved away to a large clean spot and got down and stretched like a cat. Bones crackles like wood in a fire. He shook himself like a dog and heat simmered, distorting his appearance until he was a Dragon. About the length of a school bus and can fit a compact car under his belly when standing, he wasn't very big. His scales went from blood red, to maroon. On his back be between his shoulders the scales went from a gold so bright it looked red and almost molten to a dark black red amber color of the burnt scales fused together .

((Apologies for not being able to post... school has kept me busy. I'll be gone for a week but should be able to post next Sunday. Again, sorry sad.gif ))

((I'm sorry I took so long - this week was actually REALLY busy and I had no idea until it actually all happened, haha! Sorry for worrying you!))

"That is a wonderful story - Kyle sounds like he was an honorable warrior. In my home system, much war wrought the land until the time of my great-great-grandfather, who brought theands together and became the first king. My bloodline was fortunate enough to have companions and protectors in the carriers of the noble bloodline - my closest friend Maklar is one of them. Many of his distant relatives died in the early days for the sake of my family, and to die in war is among one of the highest honors amonst my people. I am not completely sure how death in war is looked upon by humans, but in my opinion it is the best way one can go." He flicked a lock of hair from his eyes. "That is why all young boys and even some girls are taught to fight - it promotes not only unity but preserves the heritage of our ancestors. Fighting is actually one of my fondest pasttimes. Do humans consider fighting to be important, or has it fallen to the wayside in these recent years?" He tilted his head curiously, violet eyes probing Rose's own with a startling intensity.

~ ~ ~

Liv almost dropped the gloves as he shifted into a dragon, laughing in incredulous awe at the sight of her friend. "You are incredible!" She exclaimed, pulling on the gloves and running her fingers across his scales. "Is the shifting painful?" She asked curiously as Malachi growled threateningly at Maklar before realizing it was the friend he was so fond of and barking happily, prancing around the man-turned-dragon. "Be good, Mal." Liv told her dog idly before turning her gazr back to her friend. "So do I have to crawl on your back or...? Wait, can you even talk as a dragon, or is it just like growls and stuff?"

((It happens! smile.gif no sweat))

Rose turned down a dirt path with a long silence. "It is never a good thing. It hurts so many and now my world is ........ not good. Terrorism is high, these people don't care for life. They took forty school girls for their own pleasure and wives, fourteen to sixteen year old girls. Most are still not found. They think killing them selves or doing a mass murder, shooting blindly into restaurants and concert halls would bring them glory for their cause whatever that is. Our own troupes are dieing, bravely yes, but still we are slowly getting outnumbered. Cities are crumbling down in other countries, a whole country is at war, citizens are fighting for their own freedom.

Then we have enough nuclear power to destroy our world ten times over. What you ask is a tough question. Everyone says something different. Humans aren't united as you are. We fight on everything it seems. It is important to know how to defend yourself in this world, I know how to fight and shoot, I carry a .38 Smith and Wesson short revolver in my glove compartment. But if I don't need to protect myself, then I don't fight. "

She pulled up to a two story log cabin surrounded by a thin scattering of trees. "This is my place." She said getting out of her car.

------------------------------------------------------

Maklar's voice resonated in her head. "I can speak, but not with words. If I voice it, I would be speaking in a language that would tare apart your throat if you attempt to mimic it. As for my shift, at the very first time yes, but one grows used to it. Now it's like popping your knuckles and stretching. You will need to be on my back, the new scales are extremely hot. And don't worry about hurting me, it won't. The dead scales are the dark ones these tools...." He said laying down and pointing with a claw as sharp as a katana blade at a iron clamp like tool, the hammer and chisel and the file. "are used to loosen, or pull dead scales off and the file is for my spines, think of those like a large nail. Most of the scales on my shoulders you can pull off with your hands. Work from my lower neck down. The new scales would cool by then and you can walk on them. File last, and only use the hammer and chisel to pop scales that are fused together. Wiggle and pull. Got it?"

((Sorry for the wait - busy, busy, busy. Things have slowed down now - I don't have much to do now until August.))

Zahar listened quietly, occasionally humming his agreement but for the most part staying silent until Rose had finished speaking. "Hmm, perhaps you're right. War is a messy, horror-filled affair, something that I myself have been fortunate enough to not take part in. However, despite the evils that rampage your world and have before threatened to ravage mine, your people should be thankful that the others that inhabit this system and beyond have chosen to leave you to your own devices. It was considered at one time, during the civil war that raged on my planets, to take Earth as a slave planet." He chuckled slightly, lips quirking up but eyes holding no amusement. "Now that's a story - I can tell you sometime, if you'd like." He paused momentarily in order to swing his lithe form out of the car. "But not now, of course. I'd much rather see your house - it's quite cozy, nothing like the palace - it hasn't truly had a woman's touch for many years."

~ ~ ~

Liv jumped in an almost comical way upon hearing Maklar's voice sound in her head. "Holy -- that's so cool!" She exclaimed, chest heaving as she regained her breath. "Though a little warning would have been nice." She nodded along as he spoke (if that was the word to use) before letting off a cheerful "Yep!" and gathering the tools under her arm. "You know, you really didn't have to lay down, I've gotten pretty good at climbing over the years. How do you think I can climb that rock, which is fairly smooth and slick - without a problem?" She grinned cheekily, scaling to the top of his back with ease, even though she was only using one hand. "Right, okay." She puffed out a breath, silver-gray eyes skimming over his scales. "I can do this. Let's see, start at the lower back..." She moved forward carefully, perfectly balanced on his scales and working just as Maklar had instructed. She was halfway down before she almost slipped, squawking in surprise before quickly regaining her balance. But not before her arm, just below her elbow, hovered a little too close to a new scale. She yanked it back quickly, hissing in surprise. "Son of a - that's like sticking a hand in the oven!" She twisted her arm, wincing as she saw the angry red - she was smart enough to know that it was burned, first or second degree. "I think I hurt myself!" She called to Maklar, moving down more to keep working, though her arm hurt with every movement. "Man, that stings." She slid off of his back, unable to keep working with her arm in the state that it was. "You wouldn't happen to have any magical burn healing stuff, would you? Because that would be greatly appreciated right about now."

Rose laughed and got out as well. "In case you haven't noticed yet I'm not the girly type. "She said and showed him inside. It was sparse except for a few bits of future and a bookshelf carefully organized with every comic she had, the first editions and rare ones placed in a safe behind a large picture of a man in a decorated uniform, blue eyes like hers and blond hair. He had a kind face open and welcoming. "Thats my dad. " She said with a warm smile on her face as she put the comic book in the safe and locked it replacing the painting.

Despite the lack of furniture, it looked kinda like a hunter cabin. The Chandler was made from deer antlers in the dinning room. A bear pelt covered the hard wood floor in the living room. Two chairs sat by a fireplace. On the mantel piece there were three folded flags, several medals of honor, and four pictures of men in uniform. She pointed to each one. "My great grandfather, and his brother Kyle, my grandfather and my dad. My family all served bravely and I am proud of being born into a military family. " She said. She then showed him around, pointing out pictures of her and her dad, and where they took place or the type of tank or jet they stood by an told him how her dad designed them.

She had shown him every room except for two, each either empty or sparse like the living room, the two were her room, and her dad's room. Her door was closed where her father's room was open, untouched. The bed was still made with military perfection, the room tidy but dusty. She had no pictures of her mother and even her father had framed in his room the divorce papers and the papers calling for custody of his daughter.

-----------------------

Malak made a thunderous rumble like he was laughing at her antics. He lowered his head and sighed as she worked. The hot breath alone turning the tall grass to brown husks. I'll keep that in mind next time. Hmmm.... thank you. I feel less itchy already. He said in her mind softly.

His eyes where closed when she shouted in pain and he opened his golden eyes turning his head slightly to look at her concerned. When she got off he sat up and shook himself. There was only a little patch now he could nibble off, and he felt relived. "yes I do, it's in my ship. Let me finish and I'll turn back and take you there. He said and twisted lifting his back leg and scratched at a tiny patch of old scales until they loosened and fell in one big chunk. She then stretched like a cat, a snap of bones and he was back shaking himself off. "Ah, definitely better and less itchy. I can do my spines when I get back, now let me have a look..." he looked at her arm. "Second degree. The scale wasn't fully new, so it isn't a third or fourth degree. It you touched it, it will be third partial. No scars but still painful. Come on this way." He let go of her arm and headed to his ship.

((Sorry for the wait. Also... second degree burn, as far as I know, would probably scar. I have a small first degree on my arm that has scarred, though some sort of advance medical stuff could prevent scarring... Just a thought smile.gif ))

"I like it." Zahar said with an approving nod after being shown around the house. "It's very home-y." He said, seating himself in one of the chairs by the fireplace and stretching out his long legs. "I, as well, am proud to be born into a fighting family. You know, I think you and my closest friend Maklar would get along quite well - he's a bit more serious than you are but you seem to be very like-minded." He flashed her a grin, showing off his white teeth. "Tell me more about yourself. What do you like to do, besides work on machinery and collect comics. What are your passions? Hopes, dreams, stuff like that?" He smiled slightly. "Let me know if I'm asking too personal of questions. It has been said that I tend to be a bit too nice around people I don't yet know very well."

~ ~ ~

Liv watched in fascination as he scratched off the rest of his scales, hopping out of the way as a large chunk tumbled down. She winced at the sudden movement before telling herself to get a grip as he took her arm gently, examining it. Maklar was wise enough not to probe it, but she couldn't help pulling away slightly when his fingers brushed a particularly sensitive spot. Despite this, however, she couldn't help the curious twist of her stomach at how close he was. She hoped she wasn't getting sick - that was the last thing she needed now, especially around Maklar, who despite being quite civil might look down upon her coming down with something - it made her, as a human, weaker than she already was. Shrugging it off, she walked beside him as they made their way through the forest. Liv was relieved that it wasn't burned - her mom would freak out if she saw the burn on her arm, which, now that she thought about it, felt like it was on fire. And the constant movement causing it to jar wasn't helping either. "So, uh..." Her silver-gray eyes swept the seemingly empty forest. "What exactly are we looking for? I'm assuming you have some sort of ship, but how far away did you park?"

((( I looked it up here it depends on the skin you have.))

Rose sat down opposite of him and looked at her hands. "I am probably dull to you. I..... really don't have any hobbies other then those. These days I work three jobs, and visit my daddy in the hospital. I really don't have time for myself anymore. My only passion was mechanics. Ever since I was little I was putting together complex mechanisms and helping my dad with the scale models of his projects. If I have free time, I hike and collect flowers to press and I like to look up the meaning they have. That's it. I hope my dad can get better, but....... it isn't looking to good right now." She fell silent for a moment.

"I want to work on restoring things. Old cars, planes, trains, tanks, motorcycles , even things that don't need engines. I want to open up a shop like that. I'd like to finish college, finally fix up Kyle..... then settle down at some point. Maybe join the army and take over my dad's job... right now though... it seems like a wish on a star that's no longer there." She said softly looking at the fire place.

----------------------

Maklar tilted his head. "I forgot that humans can't see heat like I can. " He said and hit a button the "key" to start the ship and it appeared. It was small, large enough for four people, dingy and wasn't all that interesting ...... other than the fact that it was a alien space ship. He lowered the hatch and climbed inside. "Come inside, please excuse the mess..." He said.

A blanket was thrown over a chair, some drawers were open and looked like he had rummaged around them to find the things need for his scales. He put the cloth in a drawer and rummaged around in another one. "My younger siblings and I share the ship. Sorry. Ah here!" He lifted up a bottle of a cloudy liquid. Then there was a little 'chu' sound from the drawer. He peeked inside.

A little fox like thing hopped out and onto his shoulder. "Kiri! I've been looking for you for ages, was that where you were hiding?" He said as it sat on his shoulder. He put some of the contents of the bottle on her burn, and it healed right away. "This is my pet Kiri She is a fox squirrel from my mother's home planet. "

((Ah, gotcha. I have really sensitive skin so... Also, I'm using my (brand new) phone so pardon the inevitable typos))

Zahar propped his chin on his fist, listening. "On the contrary, I find you quite fascinating. I've never made friends with a human before. Three jobs?" He let out a low whistle. "You must never have any time to yourself. Someday I'll take you to my planet and you can enjoy the luxuries of the palace for a day." He frowned, compassion lighting in his violet eyes. Rose explained her love of tinkering with almost anything and his eyes lit up in inspiration. "Hey, I know! As a token of thanks for you trusting me with your books, next time I stop by I'll bring some broken gadgets for you to mess with." He grinned.

~ ~ ~

Liv followed him inside, gazing around in obvious excitement as her pain was momentarily forgotten. "Mess? Ah, don't worry about it. I grew up with three brothers, and believe me. THIS is not a mess." She relaxed as he rubbed the unfamiliar contents of the bottle onto her injured arm and it healed immediately. She was so distracted that she didn't notice Kiri until she was seated on his shoulder. "Aww!" Liv squealed, "She's adorable! I didn't think you were an animal person... even though you and Mal DID get on really well." She gave a start as there was a sudden and excited bark before said dog bounded into Maklar's ship, tongue lolling out of his mouth which gave him a cheerful expression. "Sit Mal." Liv ordered her dog when she saw him eying Kiri eagerly. "Don't worry, he knows better than to chase things after I've told him to sit. Good training and a nasty run-in with a porcupine has taught him that much." She chuckled good naturedly, grinning broadly. "Course, the quills weren't fun to get out of him but, with no vet around you gotta do what you gotta do, ya know?"