angelicdragonpuppy

Checker Database Center

Also heyyy maybe someone knows how to do this? I'd like the format to be:

Checker Database Center

Male Breed / Female Breed / Yadda / Yadda / Yadda

Data / will / be / down / here

Buttt I can't find a way to keep the "Checker Database Center" text isolated--whenever I use ctrl+a to select all the data (which is by far the easiest way to keep everything sorted), it grabs that too and messes up my ability to sort things. Anyone know of a way I can set the upper text as an independent, fixed cell above the others...? If not I'll just leave it as the tiny "CDC Main" off to the side.

Try View > Freeze row?

Try View > Freeze row?

freeze makes sure you can always see a certain row while scrolling down (I use it for the headers), but sadly it still lets me select it ;_;

It sounds to me like the easiest solution might be to copy the coding in the top left cell, delete the column so everything shifts over one, insert a new row above the headers, and then paste the original coding back on top.

Edit: Or even switching that around into this order:

1 - Create new row above the header

2 - Move Column A text into Column B's new top row

3 - Delete Column A.

Edited by Arella

I will totally have to add stuff to this!

Most of my Halloweens and Christmas lines are already in something similar, it shouldn't be hard to convert them. Then of course, I'll have to add the rest of my lineages..... Soooo many! xd.png

Cheers!

C4.

I suggest merging columns G, H, and I in the Breeder Info sheet. It'll give the notes information more room while remaining entirely visible on-screen, which will hopefully reduce some of that white space pushing the rows apart.

Edit: I also think that changing the text wrap option on the lineage link columns to "Clip" will make it easier to see when a cell is empty. That way a parent link won't spill over into the next space.

Edited by Arella

Going to start adding mine to the database now. They are mostly holiday checkers but I have some others too. Got a question, though: For the offspring column, what about dragons who have offspring but I don't own any of them? Is it okay to link to a progeny page in that case? I know the forum discourages linking to dragons you don't own, that's why I ask.

^ I reckon you're ok to link if the dragon is already grown (at least I hope so, 'cos that's what I've been doing ninja.gif)

I started adding in my checkers, but there's more yet to add. smile.gif For the ones with missing mates, I've tried to only add ones where I have the dragons to breed a mate but they haven't cooperated yet.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

What a lovely wonderful idea! biggrin.gif I was always dreaming of a place where to gather all the checker lineages together so we can get rid of searching tons of profiles. And now it comes true! Thank you ADP!

And as the center grows better, maybe in the future, I really hope there's two database. One is like 'breeding database' to add the pairs we already have and willing to breed, another is like 'request database' to add the single dragons which are still seeking for their mates. tongue.gif

Edited by Mistlark

What a lovely wonderful idea! biggrin.gif I was always dreaming of a place where to gather all the checker lineages together so we can get rid of searching tons of profiles. And now it comes true! Thank you ADP!

And as the center grows better, maybe in the future, I really hope there's two database. One is like 'breeding database' to add the pairs we already have and willing to breed, another is like 'request database' to add the single dragons which are still seeking for their mates. tongue.gif

I think this could be accomplished if there was a way to sort the current list to only show those checkers with a "tbd" or "still need" in one of the male or female sections. I think you can probably do that already, actually. It would be easier to stick to a specific wording to make it easier for people to find all the singles tongue.gif

I definitely love this idea, it could help so much with breeding projects. I have so many checkers, I'll need to sort through them once I get to my PC.

My problem, though, is that a lot of them don't really have mates unsure.gif So I'll need to do a lot of test breeding before I can add any here.

I suggest merging columns G, H, and I in the Breeder Info sheet. It'll give the notes information more room while remaining entirely visible on-screen, which will hopefully reduce some of that white space pushing the rows apart.

Edit: I also think that changing the text wrap option on the lineage link columns to "Clip" will make it easier to see when a cell is empty. That way a parent link won't spill over into the next space.

I just extended the notes column; how's it look?

Set them to clipping, thanks! Looks much better now. smile.gif

Going to start adding mine to the database now. They are mostly holiday checkers but I have some others too. Got a question, though: For the offspring column, what about dragons who have offspring but I don't own any of them? Is it okay to link to a progeny page in that case? I know the forum discourages linking to dragons you don't own, that's why I ask.

Yup, that's fine!

What a lovely wonderful idea!  biggrin.gif I was always dreaming of a place where to gather all the checker lineages together so we can get rid of searching tons of profiles. And now it comes true! Thank you ADP!

And as the center grows better, maybe in the future, I really hope there's two database. One is like 'breeding database' to add the pairs we already have and willing to breed, another is like 'request database' to add the single dragons which are still seeking for their mates.  tongue.gif

Glad you enjoy wink.gif

I'm not going to run two separate databases (although someone else can if they wish!), but as Pyranka says I'm going to work on standardizing wording to make things easier to find.

Related to above post, but separate so people notice it:

Should I standardize wording for dragons without mates? Dragons that need mates can have "NEEDED" in the blank cell; dragons that have mates you're close to getting / breeding can have "TBA", as can empty offspring cells.

Yes! For consistency. That would make them easier to command/control-F search, and it's nice to know what words to look for at a glance.

All dragons with missing mates now have "NEEDED" in the relevant cell. Mates that were listed as going to be bred and missing offspring links now have "TBA" in the relevant cell.

I just extended the notes column; how's it look?

Looks great! That's a good length for the notes section. ^.^

Yes! For consistency. That would make them easier to command/control-F search, and it's nice to know what words to look for at a glance.

You can also click a column and choose one of the two sort options (Sort A-Z or Sort Z-A) that pop up. That opens a more in-depth sorting format that can let you sort exclusively for all sorts of things, from what I'm seeing. Blank cells only in a parent column, or "Text contains (fill-in-the-blank)" to search for TBA or Needed only. Sorting the column A-Z would group them all together too, after the links, but using a filter would change the list so only matching results show up at all.

Looking at the data base now, looks quite organized. I love having the tabs to keep dragons separated by breed and the Breeder information tab.

What is the Sorting tab for?

Looking at the data base now, looks quite organized. I love having the tabs to keep dragons separated by breed and the Breeder information tab.

What is the Sorting tab for?

Sorting tab's just for my personal use--I move things there initially so I can check and alphabetize them before adding them to the other sections ^^

Wonderful idea! I'll start adding mine as soon as I have a decent amount of time to devote to it.

To clarify, we can add checkers that we have, and ones that we need a mate for?

Such as I have https://dragcave.net/lineage/2yEyy and am looking for a mate for her, and do not have a mate promised to me?

OR do we just add dragons that we will have mates for soon?

I hope that question made sense.

To clarify, we can add checkers that we have, and ones that we need a mate for?

Such as I have https://dragcave.net/lineage/2yEyy and am looking for a mate for her, and do not have a mate promised to me?

OR do we just add dragons that we will have mates for soon?

Yes, you can add both types! smile.gif

For checker dragons that you don't yet have mates for, add "NEEDED' in the empty cell if you don't have any current arrangements to get a mate. If you're working on getting a mate (for example, you can breed one yourself, or have set up a trade for one) then add "TBA."

Thank you. I finished my Valentine checkers, but that's all I time for tonight.

I could also add my husbands checkers, but he doesn't have a forum account.

I could also add my husbands checkers, but he doesn't have a forum account.

I think in that case, you could add both scrolls to the Breeder Info tab and leave a note on his section about PMing your account to contact him. Or maybe put something like "His scroll name (PM your forum account)" in the Owner column for every line.

Going through the database for potential swaps: Oh my god, someone else is also making checkers of this pairing- wait, no. That's me.

Since we're going with mostly official names, shouldn't the database say "Shimmer-scale" rather than "Shimmer"?

Edited by dirtytabs

Going through the database for potential swaps: Oh my god, someone else is also making checkers of this pairing- wait, no. That's me.

Since we're going with mostly official names, shouldn't the database say "Shimmer-scale" rather than "Shimmer"?

You can use the owner tab's sorting arrow to remove all your dragons if you want xd.png my own problem is finding people who I think are doing the same checker and realizing I bred one of the parents, haha!

The names I've been using are the encyclopedia ones, and there shimmers are just listed as prize (eastern), which no one uses. While shimmer-scale is the official name on their actual view page, it's hardly used on forum, so I don't really want to change it... especially not since they'll sort in the same spot in the database anyway. Things like gray / storm or dark green / vine would make things much harder to find then people mixing in shimmer / shimmer-scale :3

(I mean it's not a big deal to change, I just don't think it's needed atm)