angelicdragonpuppy

Checker Database Center

I was thinking a forum profile link would be more useful than a direct PM link, in the long run, since you can sometimes get information about a person's breeding policy/wishlist from their profile.

Edited by Arella

Ah, here it is! :3

Added all of my non-holiday checkers to the spreadsheet. :> I won't add my holidays, they are too many, and you can always find them at SROGG or on my personal page which I've linked in my breeder entry. I added myself directly to the spreadsheet as well (on page 2), or was I not supposed to do that?

I'm a bit sad that we cannot put purebreds into the database, because these are what I mainly work on, but I guess that would be too much. X)

It'll take me a while to get ALL my checkers sorted out, so I'll add the rest on the week-end when I'm not half-asleep from working all day.

In any case this is an absolutely awesome idea. We definitely needed that here! biggrin.gif

This is a really cool idea! I just love checkers. Having a database is nice. I may go and add my checker in. :3

EDIT: My n00b is intense...how do I get the lineage links to fit in the squares?

Edited by igloo9201

Ah, here it is! :3

Added all of my non-holiday checkers to the spreadsheet. :> I won't add my holidays, they are too many, and you can always find them at SROGG or on my personal page which I've linked in my breeder entry. I added myself directly to the spreadsheet as well (on page 2), or was I not supposed to do that?

I'm a bit sad that we cannot put purebreds into the database, because these are what I mainly work on, but I guess that would be too much. X)

Nah, I was hoping people would start adding them, thank you! biggrin.gif

EDIT: My n00b is intense...how do I get the lineage links to fit in the squares?

Haha, no worries! After you post a link in one square, simply hit tab, go to the next square, and put in the next link--the database will automatically reduce what you can see of the first link so you can see both clearly. smile.gif

It's just the way the spreadsheet is formatted. "Text Wrapping" is set on Overflow, which means text will overflow to the next cell if that cell is also empty. Putting something in the next cell will Clip the text, so it disappears behind the line between one column and the next. The last Text Wrapping option is Text Wrap, which means the text makes the cell taller, like starting a new paragraph, to make everything visible at once without leaving the column. That makes huge gaps between lines, though (unless you Merge Cells), so things are easier to read this way. You can see the Text Wrap button and its options near the top right of the spreadsheet, just left of the "More" button.

Another spreadsheet trick is to enter information you'll be repeating a lot into one cell -- your username, for example -- and then hover the mouse over the bottom right corner of the cell until you see a thin plus sign. Click, and drag down the column as far as you think you'll need. Your name will automatically fill into every single cell you've highlighted.

That trick blew my mind when I learned about it. laugh.gif

Edited by Arella

Haha, no worries! After you post a link in one square, simply hit tab, go to the next square, and put in the next link--the database will automatically reduce what you can see of the first link so you can see both clearly. smile.gif

Thank you so much. I've entered mine in now. biggrin.gif

And thank you for all the information as well, Arella. I'll keep that in mind as I go about making more checkers and adding them here.

Edited by igloo9201

Guessing by the shiny new Breeder Form that you'd like us to fill it out, huh? :V

Breeder's Form

Forum name: Guillotine

PM link: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=M...DE=4&MID=199626

Personal Database: N/A (added to our database? Yes)

Notes: Willing to breed non-rares/holidays on request.

Ooh, good idea.

Breeder's Form

Forum name: pinkgothic

PM link: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=M...ODE=4&MID=22399

Personal Database: Breeding pairs

'--> added to database? Yes, checkers, status 2016-02-24)

Notes: Happy to breed anything at all, even holidays in season, as long as I don't have other plans organised already.

@angelicdragonpuppy: I recommend putting some text wrapping onto the 'Breeder's Notes' column in the 'Breeder Info' tab, since you can't smooth-scroll over the text in a spreadsheet (scrolling is by columns).

@angelicdragonpuppy: I recommend putting some text wrapping onto the 'Breeder's Notes' column in the 'Breeder Info' tab, since you can't smooth-scroll over the text in a spreadsheet (scrolling is by columns).

Done did!

Can you and Guillotine add your breeder's info directly to the spreadsheet? I added a new "Add Breeder Info" tab. Was originally going to do it on the forums but Arella's idea of simply adding it to the database makes much more sense (and is much easier for me xd.png)

Done did!

Can you and Guillotine add your breeder's info directly to the spreadsheet? I added a new "Add Breeder Info" tab. Was originally going to do it on the forums but Arella's idea of simply adding it to the database makes much more sense (and is much easier for me xd.png)

Uuuh, thank you! That's so much easier to read now. smile.gif

I've gone ahead and added my data into the Add Breeder Info! sheet.

I was thinking a forum profile link would be more useful than a direct PM link, in the long run, since you can sometimes get information about a person's breeding policy/wishlist from their profile.

I second this!

I'd much prefer hitting someone's profile and then PM from there. I like checking additional info someone might have written on their profile - and sometimes try to check if the user has been active at all lately. A profile-link would be nifty so I won't have to search for the person by username to check them out. Way more handy than a direct PM-link in my opinion. ;)

I second this!

I'd much prefer hitting someone's profile and then PM from there. I like checking additional info someone might have written on their profile - and sometimes try to check if the user has been active at all lately. A profile-link would be nifty so I won't have to search for the person by username to check them out. Way more handy than a direct PM-link in my opinion. wink.gif

We have both now, courtesy of Arella's brilliance smile.gif

What a wonderful idea biggrin.gif

I'm done for now, still have to add my Halloweens. But as it's already late here and I still have some stuff to do before heading to bed, I will add them later.

Also I have added all lineages that have either offspring or at least breed once outside a holiday. Some of them didn't want to give me anything yet.

If I want to add an offspring link to a pair already added to the spreedsheet, how will I do this? Send you a pm or add it to the form with a note that the parents already added to the database?

If I want to add an offspring link to a pair already added to the spreedsheet, how will I do this? Send you a pm or add it to the form with a note that the parents already added to the database?

Add it and put "UPDATE" in the note section, please :3

Did I miss it somewhere, or is there a specific thing we should do it we want to add checkers we need mates for? Just put it in the notes section?

Did I miss it somewhere, or is there a specific thing we should do it we want to add checkers we need mates for? Just put it in the notes section?

You could do that or just write "mate needed" in place of the male or female link smile.gif

So I have an unusual checker I'd like to ask about. Some of my projects have been Hybrid x Non Hybrid forming mate. Such as this one. Would this be eligible to put in the database?

General question: Would you consider changing the Checker Database headers to get rid of that giant column of white space on the left side of every page? It doesn't serve a purpose, and it makes reading the notes section difficult on every page, even when I expand the browser to full screen. I have to specifically scroll over to see anything written about the lines.

I have a slight suggestion, it would be nice if there could be two databases. One for users that are happy to breed their checkers, and one just for general looking at. It can be tough deciding on a checker to build, so it'd be great to have a database for examples. I think if you do make this the gen should be specified, like 4th gen.

So I have an unusual checker I'd like to ask about. Some of my projects have been Hybrid x Non Hybrid forming mate. Such as this one. Would this be eligible to put in the database?

That has more than two sprites, so it's not eligible, sorry! Gorgeous line though, maybe expect a PM from me soon... tongue.gif

General question: Would you consider changing the Checker Database headers to get rid of that giant column of white space on the left side of every page? It doesn't serve a purpose, and it makes reading the notes section difficult on every page, even when I expand the browser to full screen. I have to specifically scroll over to see anything written about the lines.

How's it look now? smile.gif

I have a slight suggestion, it would be nice if there could be two databases. One for users that are happy to breed their checkers, and one just for general looking at. It can be tough deciding on a checker to build, so it'd be great to have a database for examples. I think if you do make this the gen should be specified, like 4th gen.

This is already turning out to be a bit more time consuming than expected, so I'd really rather not maintain two databases, sorry! If anyone wants to put together such a database, though, feel free to simply copy/pasta the format I'm using. Personally I find using a photo editing program to slap in lineage tiles a great way to check out potential pairings, that or browsing the threads that tend to spring up after a new release showing breeds people think would look nice with them--a lot of people post mock ups there. :3

I think maintaining two databases would be a lot of work for the mod(s), especially if it's just repeating the same lines. There's no reason why people can't browse *this* database for ideas. If you only want to view certain generations, just sort the "Gen of Offspring" column alphabetically by clicking on the arrow at the top right of the column, and then scroll to to the 4+ gens.

How's it look now? smile.gif

Better, thank you! Personally I think that column could just be deleted entirely, but at least now it's easier to see which lines have notes on them. ^.^

Edited by Arella

I want to keep a bit of something there, because 1) it helps me remember when I'm in the official database versus the adding one (xd.png) and 2) I like letting people know definitively what they're looking at, even if most people know already. I might mess around more and see if I can format it differently, though (like moving the info tabs left and down one)

This is already turning out to be a bit more time consuming than expected, so I'd really rather not maintain two databases, sorry! If anyone wants to put together such a database, though, feel free to simply copy/pasta the format I'm using. Personally I find using a photo editing program to slap in lineage tiles a great way to check out potential pairings, that or browsing the threads that tend to spring up after a new release showing breeds people think would look nice with them--a lot of people post mock ups there. :3

It might be a good idea to open this up to having moderators. A group of people would be able to edit and update the list more often. It's definitely a lot of data entry for one person.

It might be a good idea to open this up to having moderators. A group of people would be able to edit and update the list more often. It's definitely a lot of data entry for one person.

I'll definitely add moderators if it gets unmanageable for just me, no worries. smile.gif Right now it seems alright, though--using standardized breed names was a smart move, everyone seems to have adapted awesomely and it's pretty much cut the amount of time it takes me to check and move entries in half! Thanks again everyone biggrin.gif

Also heyyy maybe someone knows how to do this? I'd like the format to be:

Checker Database Center

Male Breed / Female Breed / Yadda / Yadda / Yadda

Data / will / be / down / here

Buttt I can't find a way to keep the "Checker Database Center" text isolated--whenever I use ctrl+a to select all the data (which is by far the easiest way to keep everything sorted), it grabs that too and messes up my ability to sort things. Anyone know of a way I can set the upper text as an independent, fixed cell above the others...? If not I'll just leave it as the tiny "CDC Main" off to the side.