angelicdragonpuppy

Checker Database Center

I love this idea! But would it be easier to maybe separate holiday checkers from the other checkers?

Also, I was wondering if each user could maybe put a description for themselves about their naming system since some people use roman numerals while others may put "CB" or "2G" after their dragon's name and some may not have a system at all?

I'd rather keep them all together. End checker discrimination NOW lol. If you're looking specifically for holiday lines I highly recommend this thread, however :3 https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=112910

Hmm I might add a separate section for breeders notes attached to the main document (but in a different tab). Personally I don't care about naming schemes too much, but notes like "I won't accept metal requests" or "will breed holidays for free" would be useful.

I have a TON of checkers. Are we supposed to make a sheet for our own scroll, or just add? It will be pretty long if everyone just adds theirs, BUT it would be easier to sort to look for something specific, I suppose.

Just add wink.gif I'm probably going to split breeds into alphabetical tabs tomorrow to help split things up (ie a tab for all "A" breeds, one for all "B" breeds...)

Just add wink.gif I'm probably going to split breeds into alphabetical tabs tomorrow to help split things up (ie a tab for all "A" breeds, one for all "B" breeds...)

Awesome! That will help a lot. smile.gif I will add everything over the course of the night. It'll take me a while. Haha!

Oh very nice ADP! I'll be adding a few of mine once I get to my computer biggrin.gif I have way too many pretty Checkers sitting on my scroll without mates though so I'm just going to avoid putting those up for now. Thanks for doing this! Are you going to be looking for other mods at all? Don't want you getting all ragged from staring at spreadsheets all day/night haha.

(I'm not asking to be a mod - I don't think I can do it haha. Just want to make sure you're not too burdened tongue.gif)

Oh, I love this. I will need to get my breeding pairs together so I can add them ^^ Thanks angelicdragonpuppy =)

Thanks! If this list is here to stay, I can finally remove the checker dump from my profile. biggrin.gif

I see a few people are leaving the male/female fields blank... are you just not done updating yet, orrr...? xd.png Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

@Arella: Can you please split up the different gens of the ones I left in the add in sheet? smile.gif

Sure thing, I can go back and do that. ^.^

I see a few people are leaving the male/female fields blank... are you just not done updating yet, orrr...? xd.png

Personally speaking, I have way too many checkers to go in and pull out individual links to each male/female when I already have to rearrange the general format of each checker (including adding additional lines to list each generation separately). It also seems pointlessly redundant when you can easily see either parent lineage by clicking on the provided offspring link.

So yeah, if it bothers anyone else and they really want to fill in those columns while my lines are in the general to-add sheet, feel free! But I don't want to sit down for an hour to pull out *eighty* parent links. It's just not going to happen. And if that becomes a requirement, there's no way I'm going to take the time to add all... 140 Holiday checkers I have. Even ignoring the lines I don't have mates for yet, the disqualified lines due to Day Solstice and such, and the time it'll take to reformat my list to match this one, that's roughly 280 parent links -- MORE once I split up each checker into separate generations. I'm fine with expanding the lines and everything, by the way -- I'm not complaining, I just want to make it clear that translating my checkers over to add to this database is already a decent amount of time and effort, and I am not going to add more work on top of that if I don't have to.

That's my take on it.

Edit: For example, drawing out my eleven condensed checkers into separate generations with links to an example offspring each individual pair can produce? That took me just under fifteen minutes. And, for personal reference, those eleven checkers have expanded to fill 39 rows.

So if I want to play around with math for a minute: I have 40 checkers in the database right now, consisting of about 68 individual lines. Assuming I can add parent links for 12 lines in 15 minutes, it'll take just under an hour and a half to do all of those. I'm not even going to *try* to figure out the exact number of lines my holiday checkers would consist of, factoring in every possible generation and unrelated line, but 140 lines would take 175 minutes. That's three hours. Roughly four and a half hours to add parent links to all of my checkers, *on top* of however long it takes to reformat them to fit this list and expand into every single separate generation. xd.png That's just... it's not going to happen.

Edited by Arella

On an unrelated note, I've been looking at the Database sheet and admiring this fantastic endeavor. However, it has been up for less than twelve hours, only ten people have checkers in the actual database so far, and we're already up to 434 rows. I've already mentioned that I haven't had the chance yet to add my holiday checkers, which could take up around 175 to 200 additional rows once expanded. And that's just me.

Once more people start contributing, we're going to end up with *thousands* of lineages. I'm worried the spreadsheet will start taking five minutes just to load whenever someone tries to open it.

I strongly suggest breaking up the checkers into separate sheets within the database. Maybe something along the lines of:

Common/Miscellaneous, Metal, Valentine, Halloween, Christmas.

It will still be easy to find whatever someone's looking for, or to browse the various checkers in the database. But it will greatly reduce the odds of a crazy lag time when opening the spreadsheet.

Edit: I just saw the Alphabetical Tabs suggestion. I feel like 26 separate sheets would be really tedious to browse through unless you're looking for something specific? Maybe arranging breeds by A-L and M-Z or something (I'm guessing 3-4 sheets would be ideal to split the load) would be better, if they're not going to get sorted by *type* of checker.

Edited by Arella

I already see a couple shared checkers. *Greedy hands* Once it gets sorted out a bit more, I may have to start PMing people for swaps. wink.gif

I see a few people are leaving the male/female fields blank... are you just not done updating yet, orrr...? xd.png

I echo Arella on this one! It took me hours just to input what I have. I think the columns are useful for when you don't have an example offspring yet, but if you have an offspring, it's so much easier to just plop it in there.

Edited by harlequinraven

FINISHED! For now. Finished with messing up people entering data below mine. Heh.

I have no opinion on how to break up the breed lists. Once that's decided, how about further ordering pairs alphabetically by male breed -> alphabetically by female breed -> generation of offspring -> owner of the parents?

So a list of checkers (here m red/f whatever) will be ordered as

Pairing               Gen    (links)     Owner      Notes
Red/Black              3                 Jane
Red/Gemshard (blue)    3                 Jane
Red/Gemshard (green)   3                 Jane
Red/Gemshard (green)   4                 Jane
Red/Horse              3                 Jane
Red/Horse              3                 John
Red/Horse              4                 Jane
Red/Horse              4                 John
Red/Horse              5                 Jane

That's what I have been doing tabs ^^ sort order is male breed / female breed / gen currently, I can add in owner too.

I have to concede the point with the father / mother links, as much as my obsessive need for organization will miss them. Do people think I should stop letting in unnmated checkers, then? Things might get confusing if some people are intentionally leaving parent fields blank because they just use the offspring link while others do so because they don't own the parents at all...

As far as splitting up the database, I'll start with A-F, G-L, M-R and S-Z and work from there. Someone has been in touch with me about possibly creating a formal user interface, which might help too by limiting data to what you're actually searching for (if I understand correctly).

If holidays get excessive (which admittedly they're already doing) I might split them out as well. Not sure metals will be quite as common, but we'll see.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Sounds like a good split of ranged alphabetical tabs! That search interface sounds fascinating. It'll be cool to see if/how it works!

Do people think I should stop letting in unnmated checkers, then? Things might get confusing if some people are intentionally leaving parent fields blank because they just use the offspring link while others do so because they don't own the parents at all...

I don't think unmated checkers would cause too much confusion. After all, if you don't have a mate, you're not gonna have an offspring link to provide either, so it should be pretty obvious that a user only has the one parent dragon. If you want to make things easier to spot, though, you *could* ask that anyone with an unmated dragon puts "TBD" or "Still Need" or something in the missing parent's box.

Hmm one problem I've already noticed are naming the breeds... It seems probable right now that I'll have to search for the same breed under different names. :P That could be slightly annoying if the database becomes huge.

Examples:

- In the male breed column there's a "Grau" entry (which turned out to be a Storm when I checked the dragon).

- Bright Pinks are currently named "Old Pink" – seems better to stick with the official DC name? I use the Dragon Encyclopedia all the time when unsure of a name on a breed (which I am all the time with my horrible memory haha) and I can't be the only one?

- Pyralspites..? Should they be written out in their different types? And in that case how? Because right now there are entries both as simply "Pyralspite" (in which you'll have to check the dragon to see which type) and entries written as simply "Pyrope", "Spessartine" and "Almandine" (which could be changed to "Pyralspite (Pyrope)" and so on if you want to be thorough I suppose).

These are the ones I noticed at a quick glance, there might be more.

I'd simply be grateful if everything was labelled the same. *small smile* And preferably sticking to the official breed names (so I won't have to look at both "Green" and "Pebble" or "Dark Green" and "Vine" and so on to find what I want).

Edited by Dragonwolf

*Wipes sweat off brow* Phew! Added most of the new entries (except a few that looked like they were still being worked on) and split by alphabetical tabs--it did a pretty good job of breaking things up into quarters, so it should be much more manageable now! I'll split out holidays later if they continue to take up lots of space.

I don't think unmated checkers would cause too much confusion. After all, if you don't have a mate, you're not gonna have an offspring link to provide either, so it should be pretty obvious that a user only has the one parent dragon. If you want to make things easier to spot, though, you *could* ask that anyone with an unmated dragon puts "TBD" or "Still Need" or something in the missing parent's box.

Fair enough!

Oh very nice ADP! I'll be adding a few of mine once I get to my computer biggrin.gif I have way too many pretty Checkers sitting on my scroll without mates though so I'm just going to avoid putting those up for now. Thanks for doing this! Are you going to be looking for other mods at all? Don't want you getting all ragged from staring at spreadsheets all day/night haha.

(I'm not asking to be a mod - I don't think I can do it haha. Just want to make sure you're not too burdened tongue.gif)

I might call for mods at some point. Right now I'm hoping that after the initial "EVERYONE ADD" rush things will be more slow. xd.png

Hmm one problem I've already noticed are naming the breeds... It seems probable right now that I'll have to search for the same breed under different names. tongue.gif That could be slightly annoying if the database becomes huge.

Examples:

- In the male breed column there's a "Grau" entry (which turned out to be a Storm when I checked the dragon).

- Bright Pinks are currently named "Old Pink" – seems better to stick with the official DC name? I use the Dragon Encyclopedia all the time when unsure of a name on a breed (which I am all the time with my horrible memory haha) and I can't be the only one?

- Pyralspites..? Should they be written out in their different types? And in that case how? Because right now there are entries both as simply "Pyralspite" (in which you'll have to check the dragon to see which type) and entries written as simply "Pyrope", "Spessartine" and "Almandine" (which could be changed to "Pyralspite (Pyrope)" and so on if you want to be thorough I suppose).

These are the ones I noticed at a quick glance, there might be more.

I'd simply be grateful if everything was labelled the same. *small smile* And preferably sticking to the official breed names (so I won't have to look at both "Green" and "Pebble" or "Dark Green" and "Vine" and so on to find what I want).

I've been trying to standardize as I move things over, although admittedly I often err on the side of terms more commonly used in the trade threads then official names sometimes (IE storms are almost always just called "grays" in trade). Would people prefer I switch to using the official hover-over names in the encyclopedia?

I've been trying to standardize as I move things over, although admittedly I often err on the side of terms more commonly used in the trade threads then official names sometimes (IE storms are almost always just called "grays" in trade). Would people prefer I switch to using the official hover-over names in the encyclopedia?

Yeah, I think the easiest way to standardize would be to use the Encyclopedia names for dragon breeds... even if I do personally prefer other names for some, like Bright Pink to Old Pink, or Vine to Dark Green.

I've spotted a few Xenowyrms hiding under their biome name (i.e. "Pyro") in there, too, so unfortunately I think you're going to have to do some weeding when you get the chance. Maybe add information about what name/format people should use in the top few posts?

Yeah, I think the easiest way to standardize would be to use the Encyclopedia names for dragon breeds... even if I do personally prefer other names for some, like Bright Pink to Old Pink, or Vine to Dark Green.

I've spotted a few Xenowyrms hiding under their biome name (i.e. "Pyro") in there, too, so unfortunately I think you're going to have to do some weeding when you get the chance. Maybe add information about what name/format people should use in the top few posts?

Blegh, some of the official names are so archaic... haven't seen anyone list a "Dark Green" or "Two-Headed Dragon" in ages. Ah well, such is the price of standardization I suppose. xd.png

Added a blurb to the first post, and a few new bits of info about adding unmated dragons or just progeny links to the FAQ. I've also added a breeder's info form for anyone who wants to go into more detail about their trading / naming policies or whatever else. If anyone has questions or suggestions, share 'em! smile.gif

Oh! Should Seasonals go the way of the Pyralspites? Listed as "Seasonal (Winter)" instead of just Winter/Autumn/etc? It also might help to have a quick list of what breeds should be listed that way, because not everyone might think of doing that with certain breeds -- like Seasonals.

What about adding a tab specifically for checker breeders, personal/individual list sheets, and possibly contact info? That could make it easier to see each person's breeding policy if it's listed somewhere, and individual sheets would probably be more up-to-date than the database simply because people would think about updating their own lists before also bringing stuff over here. Also, I know some people out there literally have hundreds of checkers. Hundreds. I imagine that would be way too daunting for them to want to convert onto the database. So instead of missing out on those lines, why not have an option somewhere to say, "Hey, this person breeds checkers too, but no, they're not loaded into the database."

That way, if someone doesn't find what they need in the database, there's still an option for scrolling through unlisted breeders. It could take a while, sure, but if you're looking for a specific pairing or mate, better to have *somewhere* to start than nothing at all.

The format could be something like:

Name / Forum (Profile link) / List Link / Added to Database (Yes/No)

*Wipes sweat* Whew, everything has been standardized! And, yah, I followed the encyclopedia and did Seasonal (Season) format, as weird as it looks to me. Curse you, encyclopedia, and your officialness! D<

That's a good idea, I'll add a / Breeder's Notes section too. Gonna take a break for now though so I'll add it later xd.png