LadyNightshade

Pokemon Sun and Moon

Back when I worked at Gamestop gaming knowledge was a requirement, it was part of my interview process. That was over ten years ago, though, and they've greatly changed their inventory and expanded their specialties since then, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was no longer required.

Sailing101, when that man in Ecruteak said that I always assumed it was Ho-oh that did that. In HG and SS didn't Ho-oh fly out of the sun to meet you on the tower rooftop? I can see people seeing it causing an eclipse as it does that.

If I remember correctly depending on what game you owned the description matched whatever game icon (Lugia for SS, Ho-oh in HG) it was, but I can't say for certain. I dont' really think that they will be on the cover mainly because this are supposed to be gen 7 games, and having 2 Johto legends, even if they are given new forms, on the cover seems weird.

I dont recall where I heard this theory, but one person said that the crystals in the logo were kinda similar to the burst Crystals from one of the Pokemon comics, which I think was called Pokemon Burst. In the comic it allowed people to fuse with a pokemon who resided in the crystal. Thinking about it I'm not sure I like the idea of fusing with pokemon, it just sounds....weird to say it.

Back when I worked at Gamestop gaming knowledge was a requirement, it was part of my interview process. That was over ten years ago, though, and they've greatly changed their inventory and expanded their specialties since then, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was no longer required.

Which is a shame because you'd think people working at a video game store would know about the merchandise their selling. :/

I doubt Lugia and Ho-oh have anything to do with a moon/sun theme, honestly. Bulbapedia says Ho-oh is based on the fenghuang and Lugia is Ryujin crossed with a beluga whale, and both of those seem entirely reasonable to me. "Blocking out the sun" is often used to describe anything that is big and can fly (rocs come to mind, and I've seen it being used to describe sufficiently large flocks of birds, even) so it's not necessarily a reference to eclipses. Besides, the sun and the moon are the two giant glowing orbs that dominate our sky; it's hardly surprising that a pair of contrasting Pokemon gods would evoke that kind of celestial imagery.

Then again, the only Johto game I've played was like ten minutes of SS, so maybe I'm missing some of the important symbolic imagery, shrug.

On the subject of Lunaala as a moon crow: this is probably even more of a stretch, but in the version of this myth I learned as a kid, Yi missed one of the crows, only grazing it with an arrow, but that scared it so much that its fire went out and it became the moon? It seems way less well known than the Chang'e follow-up though, and honestly if they're going to base the legendaries after the Yi myth a sun crow would make way more sense. Who knows.

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

Yah doing research I see a lot about the sun crow stories. Solgaleo really doesn't sound like a name of a crow, but... you never know?

People fusing with pokemon seems really weird. It worked with digimon because the digimon the kids fused with were already human like and had human intelligence (and speak human language).

Most pokemon are basically just animals in their world. There's only a handful (of non-legends) that are human level....

I don't even know how they'd implement that honestly, in battle and stuff.

Also, Lugia and Ho-oh were supposed to represent the Sea and the Sky respectively, not moon or sun.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Also, Lugia and Ho-oh were supposed to represent the Sea and the Sky respectively, not moon or sun.

That makes senses, and explains why Lugia is often compared with the moon. Because it's the moon that pulls on the ocean currents. Also in both the original Silver and remake Lugia is swimming underwater in the main title.

It's just easy to see him as a pokemon of the moon because for almost every pokemon movie intro scene it shows Lugia rising out of the water to a full moon.

user posted image

Sailing101, when that man in Ecruteak said that I always assumed it was Ho-oh that did that. In HG and SS didn't Ho-oh fly out of the sun to meet you on the tower rooftop? I can see people seeing it causing an eclipse as it does that.

Ho-Oh lacks any draconic features.

Lugia seems to be heavily associated with the sea, yet it is NOT water typed. It's psychic.

And yes, lugia is pretty heavy with the moon imagery, and Ho-oh is often accompanied by the sun.

And then there is the part where both of them are described as constantly flying across the earth, circling the globe.

Edited by sailing101

Lileep, Anorith, Malamar, Eelektross, Stunfisk, Goodra, and Dragalge are all based on aquatic animals but aren't water-type. The Goodra line in particular has heavy ties to water in appearance, abilities, and moves, but they're still pure dragon. This isn't a one-time occurrence or anything.

What's the source on the "flying across the earth" thing? I haven't played GS or much of HGSS, so serious question. Like, most of Lugia's Pokedex entries make reference to it specifically avoiding leaving the ocean because its wings create terrible storms.

More on topic, I... really hope the diamonds in the logo aren't burst hearts. My personal beef with ReBURST aside, I don't think it's the kind of thing that'd work in a video game format, and I'd rather see them work on more mega evolutions if anything.

A quick Bulbapedia search tells me only the artificial burst hearts are diamond-shaped, and the natural ones are hexagonal/irregular, so evidence against that theory, maybe?

Ho-Oh lacks any draconic features.

Lugia seems to be heavily associated with the sea, yet it is NOT water typed. It's psychic.

And yes, lugia is pretty heavy with the moon imagery, and Ho-oh is often accompanied by the sun.

And then there is the part where both of them are described as constantly flying across the earth, circling the globe.

I don't get why they made Lugia part psychic. Like, why!? It's like Dedenne and Emboar. It can only learn two psychic type moves (and neither of the attacks are Psychic) and the rest are just special moves for itself. Dedenne is part fairy type that only knows one fairy type move and it's not an attack. Emboar is part fighting and can only learn one useless fighting type move. It seems like creators of Pokemon has a history of doing this. They just stick a random type to a certain Pokémon and make it only learn one useless type for the secondary half for it.

Another example is Helioptile. I love that Pokémon to death, but it's...electric normal? Like...wut? Why would you ruin a perfect opportunity for an electric ground Pokémon? This Pokémon can even learn GROUND type moves and you make it NORMAL!? Like what the heck GameFreak!? It would have made my team if it wasn't for the normal part.

Helioptile is based on the basilisk lizard.

user posted image

Electric/water makes more sense.

RE-burst was a collasal flop. Not because of story or characters, but because the transformations were fugly as all heck. I sincerely doubt that it will be a feature of sun/moon.

The crystal in the titles looks like a revive to me.

user posted image

Edited by sailing101

The crystal in the titles looks like a revive to me.

user posted image

Ooooooh you're right! That's interesting! Some kind of special revive....? Oooh, maybe the evil team is looking for a legendary Revive that can bring something back to life. They use it to resurrect the legendary of the sun/moon. Then the crap hits the fan and a 10 year old saves the world.

Sounds about right.

Hey guys! I've seen from a few of you that you might think that Sun and Moon might be based on China. It's a good idea, I find it interesting to be potentially explored - however I think it's based more on Spain actually. Several sources that my friend shared with me indicate that the developer chose (roughly paraphrasing here) to "explore more European regions".

Not only that, one of the head developers in the Pokemon team just recently went to Spain for a holiday. So I looked at those screenshots with the teasers with the palm trees and fountains.

EDIT: Links uploaded to imgur because a user had issues with spyware when opening them.

The screenshots for a refresher:

Screenie from before

Other Screenie from before

AND ACTUAL SPAIN, Barcelona to be exact, last one is Madrid:

Very pretty Barcelona buildings.

Fountains and Palm trees, very lovely.

Structure in Madrid, compare to both screenshots.

In the second one you can see both palm trees AND fountains! And in the third, you've got - similarly shaped buildings. How often do we see those types of windows in a Pokemon center? Personally I'm SO excited since it's leaning this way - there's so many intricate blocks of buildings and structures. Gothic buildings are just breathtaking to look at.

The culture of the setting fitting in with Pokemon would be very interesting to look at in action. There were also theories on the starters with the trademarking and everything (process they go through before they get released for teasers), and it's sort of narrowed down to three starters - Nyaabi (theorized FIRE cat), Ashimari (theorized WATER seal, mari in that context also means ball), and this one that I forgot - but it was theorized as a GRASS woodpecker, potentially dark second typing.

Edited by Kind of a Massbearmind

Guys, don't click any of the links in the above post. Every one of them triggered a spyware warning for me

Guys, don't click any of the links in the above post. Every one of them triggered a spyware warning for me

Wait really? All I did was search up 'barcelona' and 'buildings in Spain'.

Should I replace the links?

EDIT: Now replaced and every single image uploaded to imgur, which I'm sure should be safer than opening images in Google's search results.

Now that the links are safe:

While the Spain theory is a new one, More evidence is pointing to Hawaii.

From the color of the fire trucks, to the rainbows on the license plates, to the airframe of the new bird Pokémon being a dead ringer for a native Hawaiian bird.

user posted image

And xd.png it if Hawaii pattern vivillion didn't already have sun and moon colors.

And Hawaii uses lots of Spanish archetecture

Edited by sailing101

There goes the ace attorney debunking my evidence hahaha, as expected with a Phoenix Wright icon lol.

Now THAT'S a refreshing point of view with the possibility of Hawaii - I couldn't exactly pinpoint the vehicle concepts (since I was a bit lazy) or tie in the Sun and Moon concepts with the theory of Spain to be honest OTL. Thanks for that!

I know it's still a bit early but... now to look forward to a Water gym with a beach/surfer themed layout!!! (STILL early but) Hype! This would a be a great follow-up to the harbor/tropical setting of ORAS.

EDIT: I guess my bias and love for Spain really showed in my post OTL.

The culture of the setting fitting in with Pokemon would be very interesting to look at in action. There were also theories on the starters with the trademarking and everything (process they go through before they get released for teasers), and it's sort of narrowed down to three starters - Nyaabi (theorized FIRE cat), Ashimari (theorized WATER seal, mari in that context also means ball), and this one that I forgot - but it was theorized as a GRASS woodpecker, potentially dark second typing.

More designs/artwork is reported to have been leaked. I hope these ones are legit. I've already fallen hard for the fire and water type designs.

I'm keeping away from YouTube vids with reported leaks just cause I don't wanna like a fake design and be disappointed later xd.png However, very anxious to see what news we are getting come the 10th, hopefully our first look at the starters and the legends, I'll take either or.

Which is a shame because you'd think people working at a video game store would know about the merchandise their selling. :/

I will say that as a current GS employee, sometimes it's really hard to remember everything that's coming out and all the information that comes with them (ie: preorder bonuses for the next 20 new games coming out, all their special editions and what those come with, then things like when new POPs come out as well as when we'll get more of x or more of x since now we carry more than just video games, etc). At least at the store I work at, we've got people that have their own areas they know a lot about (like me with Nintendo/PS/niche titles vs my coworker who's more XB1/PS/shooters or more mainstream AAA titles). There's so much stuff that we have to remember it gets kind of overwhelming trying to remember it all, or the information gets muddled.

... But you always do have those people that you just wonder why the heck they're working there anyway, so yeah.

also re: RE-burst. I swear, if those transformations were better executed, I would be all over that feature. But man, were the designs disappointing in the manga. :(

That video tho. I would love that grass starter. There's supposed to be more info coming out on the 10th though, so I'll just wait until then and hoooopeeee we get some actual good information.

More designs/artwork is reported to have been leaked. I hope these ones are legit. I've already fallen hard for the fire and water type designs.

Okay I swear I've seen those before. But I can't for the life of me remember when or where, or if they were just very similar designs... in any case I'm not convinced those are legitimate.

They'd be really cute if they're real though :V

I will say that as a current GS employee, sometimes it's really hard to remember everything that's coming out and all the information that comes with them (ie: preorder bonuses for the next 20 new games coming out, all their special editions and what those come with, then things like when new POPs come out as well as when we'll get more of x or more of x since now we carry more than just video games, etc). At least at the store I work at, we've got people that have their own areas they know a lot about (like me with Nintendo/PS/niche titles vs my coworker who's more XB1/PS/shooters or more mainstream AAA titles). There's so much stuff that we have to remember it gets kind of overwhelming trying to remember it all, or the information gets muddled.

... But you always do have those people that you just wonder why the heck they're working there anyway, so yeah.

also re: RE-burst. I swear, if those transformations were better executed, I would be all over that feature. But man, were the designs disappointing in the manga. sad.gif

That video tho. I would love that grass starter. There's supposed to be more info coming out on the 10th though, so I'll just wait until then and hoooopeeee we get some actual good information.

That's very true, and she was helpful when I asked about Marvel, so I'll definitely give her that. I guess I was just a bit impatient and antsy for any new information. Some of these games have been in development for years and It's getting harder to wait between dry spells of information. If they would just give us release dates I'd be perfectly fine.

When we got one for FF15 I'm totally fine with waiting until then. The new pokemon games, we know nothing for sure about the pokemon themselves, but I'm fine knowing it'll come out later this year. but other titles like KH3 are wreaking havoc on any patience I have left. I know it's close to being done, because some of the voice work has started and I believe that's one of the last things they do, but still. It'd be nice if they released a demo or something. Even if it's a tiny little thing like what they did with FF15's Platinum Edition. I'd be cool with that.

I'm hoping we get to see either what the starters look like or the two themed legends. I'll be happy with either or. Though, both would be great too.

Okay I swear I've seen those before. But I can't for the life of me remember when or where, or if they were just very similar designs... in any case I'm not convinced those are legitimate.

They'd be really cute if they're real though :V

I've heard someone compare the cat to Neopets. And it does sort of look like a Kougra, (at least I think that's that the striped cat pet was called.)

RE-burst was a collasal flop. Not because of story or characters, but because the transformations were fugly as all heck.

Going a little off-topic, but I gotta say, ReBurst was bad because of ALL THREE things you mentioned. I'm serious, not only were the designs bad, but everything about it was terrible and boring. Story was poop, characters were anime stereotypes, transformations were ugly as butts. It was especially bad because it was marketed as "more mature" than other Pokemon media of the time. "More mature" apparently meant lackluster battles, childish innuendos and one person you never met before dying off screen. Edgyyyy.

Starters revealed, and it's totally Hawaii!

Grass/flying Owl (Rowlet), Fire cat (Litten), and Water seal/sealion (Poplio)!!

Also box legendaries! It's a sun lion and moon bat! No names released for them so far.

Release date is November 18!

user posted image

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOYS thats a month earlier than expected i am sooooo ready omg litten my bb ily

I'm definitely getting Litten! Rowlet is great too, but... cats <3

Yep, Hawaii without any doubt. I love that they gave just enough hints in that tiny teaser for people to overanalyze screenshots and figure out it is Hawaii. <3

I LOVE that Sun Lion, but am mixed about the bat. It looks great as far as crescent symbols, but... I don't know, its design is odd to me somehow. I'll still get moon but I may end up trading for that lion.

I feel like Poplio is kind of like Oshawott's cousin. He's bound to get hate but his evo may actually be pretty decent or even pretty good in design.

did you guys see the japanese live action trailer that just came out too?? its super sweet and i got all teary eyed omg

Edited by Switch