LadyNightshade

Pokemon Sun and Moon

Yeah I doubt the "starter theme" thing is anything but fan speculation. Typhlosion is certainly not a rat. Besides, semi-aquatic creatures for water is kind of a given, considering they have to represent water-types and be featured prominently in a variety of media (read: be able to walk on land).

I am actually incredibly hyped for this and I want to buy it RIGHT NOW but i have to waiiiit. but all the starters are adorable!

I think the zodiac theme wasn't really established until gen3 and onward. Cyndaquil only loosely counting towards the theme if only through it's species name (the fire mouse pkmn).

I'm currently thinking of getting the fire starter, just cause I like cats and it looks promising.

Any predictions for their type combos, if any? My guesses are Grass/ Flying, Fire/ Dark, and Water/ Fairy (selkie maybe?)

Apparently Cyndaquil is based on the echidna, as well as shrews. But get this; Typhlosion is based primarily on a honey badger.

True or not, I don't know. But that just raised Typhlosion up my list a huge amount xd.png

Type wise, I'm not so sure. Litten I'm leaning towards Fire/Dark (just please not another Fire/Fighting), I think Rowlet might lose the flying type but no idea what for, and the sealion, perhaps Fairy, perhaps something else like psychic?

For the legends, Sun most likely Fire, perhaps Fire/Fairy, and Moon maybe Dark or Dark/Fairy.

TBH, I just want to see some type combination we haven't seen yet.

Oh my I didn't realize the region name is Alola. I love it xd.png

I really like the new starters, super curious for their evolutions! I like the cat so far most, I think.

You know, thinking about it for a little while - the Moon legendary looks like a circular coathanger than varying moon phases when it stretches. Probably the angle made it look odd.

Sun legendary just reminds me of the Digimon Dawn starter Champion evolution - Firamon that was it. Or even a quadruped Apollomon.

Oh my I didn't realize the region name is Alola. I love it xd.png

[snip]

I love that name, too!

Actually, I'm not too fond of the cat starter. rolleyes.gifxd.png

You know, thinking about it for a little while - the Moon legendary looks like a circular coathanger than varying moon phases when it stretches. Probably the angle made it look odd.

Sun legendary just reminds me of the Digimon Dawn starter Champion evolution - Firamon that was it. Or even a quadruped Apollomon.

The Sun mascot looks like when a male Pyroar Mega Evolves tbh

YES! My brother is going for Sun Version. I get the awesome looking bat! <3

YES! My brother is going for Sun Version. I get the awesome looking bat! <3

lol, my friend's getting Sun version which makes me happy since I was going to get Moon no matter what. We always get the opposite game so we can trade and borrow and get all of the pokemon between us. We did the same for ORAS with me choosing AS until I got OR as well because it was that awesome.

lol, my friend's getting Sun version which makes me happy since I was going to get Moon no matter what. We always get the opposite game so we can trade and borrow and get all of the pokemon between us. We did the same for ORAS with me choosing AS until I got OR as well because it was that awesome.

My brother and I get the opposite versions from each other. He got Blue, Silver, Sapphire, (Skipped Pearl/Diamond), White, Y, and AS. I got: Red, Gold, Ruby, (Skipped Pearl/Diamond), Back, X, and OR

I lost my OR and now I have to start ALL over again. I miss my shiny Reuniclus something fierce sad.gif it was the first shiny I encountered by mistake and I miss him sad.gif

My brother and I get the opposite versions from each other. He got Blue, Silver, Sapphire, (Skipped Pearl/Diamond), White, Y, and AS. I got: Red, Gold, Ruby, (Skipped Pearl/Diamond), Back, X, and OR

I lost my OR and now I have to start ALL over again. I miss my shiny Reuniclus something fierce sad.gif it was the first shiny I encountered by mistake and I miss him sad.gif

Aww, I'm sorry. I lost my first two shiny's when my Crystal version's memory died on me. My shiny Venomoth and pikachu (hatched as a pichu) were so awesome too, so I totally feel your pain. sad.gif

Aww, I'm sorry. I lost my first two shiny's when my Crystal version's memory died on me. My shiny Venomoth and pikachu (hatched as a pichu) were so awesome too, so I totally feel your pain. sad.gif

I'm trying to refind a shiny Solosis and it's hard because none are sparkling sad.gif

I'm trying to refind a shiny Solosis and it's hard because none are sparkling sad.gif

I wish you luck. It takes a lot of patience to shiny hunt. All of my shinies were caught by pure luck, and I have about 15-20 through the years. (I count the ones I've lost.)

Edited by Syiren

Any predictions for their type combos, if any? My guesses are Grass/ Flying, Fire/ Dark, and Water/ Fairy (selkie maybe?)

i really hope litten will become fire/dark, but i've seen people suggest a fire/rock typing also - saying that it could evolve magma-esque stripes or armor of some sort, somewhat reminiscent of heatran or camerupt! either would be super cool, imo, as long as we don't get yet another fire/fighting starter pff

as for popplio, probably either solid water, water/fairy, or maybe even water/fighting! fairy would represent its playful, whimsical nature, but fighting could be fitting as well since its circus theming could suggest athleticism!

i really hope litten will become fire/dark, but i've seen people suggest a fire/rock typing also - saying that it could evolve magma-esque stripes or armor of some sort, somewhat reminiscent of heatran or camerupt! either would be super cool, imo, as long as we don't get yet another fire/fighting starter pff

as for popplio, probably either solid water, water/fairy, or maybe even water/fighting! fairy would represent its playful, whimsical nature, but fighting could be fitting as well since its circus theming could suggest athleticism!

I'm going to make a solid bet on Water/Fairy for Popplio and Fire/Dark for Litten. I sincerely hope Rowlets type changes as it evolves cause that typing of grass/flying is.....bad xd.png Maybe Grass/Psychic?

I'm going to make a solid bet on Water/Fairy for Popplio and Fire/Dark for Litten. I sincerely hope Rowlets type changes as it evolves cause that typing of grass/flying is.....bad xd.png Maybe Grass/Psychic?

If they bring back Pokémon Amie and I choose Rowlet (not saying I will, but maybe, since I'm still undecided) then I can spend time bonding with it and boosting its ability to gain more exp, and gain the ability to break out of status moves and land crits more easily.

I agree that Rowlet really needs to change it's typing when it evolves. If Litten ends up evolving into Fire/Dark, I will always see it as a cat version of the Houndour line. xd.png Though it does seem like it might head in that direction. As for Popplio, I wouldn't mind a water/fairy.

Hey, y'all need to stop hating on Grass/Flying. Sure, it's not the best typing competitively, but it's immune to Ground moves AND powder moves (like Spore)/leech seed, and it's a starter that'll be able to use Fly and Roost. Plus, thematically it's really neat, I've wanted a Grass/Flying bird starter for ages.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Hey, y'all need to stop hating on Grass/Flying. Sure, it's not the best typing competitively, but it's immune to Ground moves AND powder moves (like Spore)/leech seed, and it's a starter that'll be able to use Fly and Roost. Plus, thematically it's really neat, I've wanted a Grass/Flying bird starter for ages.

XY got me into the competitive mindset so that's my only reason for hating the type combo xd.png For a regular playthrough having a flying type right off the bat will certainly help if it can learn FLY later on. Honestly, I'm hoping they keep the Soaring bit that was brought in in ORAS. Obviously not just using Latio or Latias, but at least some flying pokemon. I enjoyed it.

Besides, Alola's based on a tropical region; I can't imagine there'd be many ice-types ;0

I don't dislike grass/flying for competitive reasons. I haven't battled competitively since the days of Diamond and Pearl. tongue.gif

I dislike it because it feels like a very unusual typing to me. xd.png For grass types, I don't typically think of it being able to fly around, so that is why I have issues with it. I'll admit though, Rowlet pulls off grass/flying much better than Tropius. Tropius feels like it was forced into its flying type.

I don't have a problem with Grass/Flying, since I'm not a competitive battler and I always have a fire type on my team, so Ice types aren't a problem. I just wouldn't be surprised if it DID change as it evolved. Like I said, to what, I don't know.

Though, to be fair, Bulbasaur was the only other starter that was a dual type from the start and it DID keep the same typing throughout it's evolutionary line, so I wouldn't be surprised if Rowlet did, too.

Also, I know the region being based in a tropical climate highly suggests there won't be, but I would really like to see some more ice-types. Not for competitive reasons, as I've seen other people argue on other forums, but simply because I've not really trained an ice-type just for fun, not since Articuno back on Blue/Red, since most types weak to Ice can be easily countered by other types, so seeing one I WANT to train would be pretty nice.

Edited by CharonDusk

I don't dislike grass/flying for competitive reasons. I haven't battled competitively since the days of Diamond and Pearl. tongue.gif

I dislike it because it feels like a very unusual typing to me. xd.png For grass types, I don't typically think of it being able to fly around, so that is why I have issues with it. I'll admit though, Rowlet pulls off grass/flying much better than Tropius. Tropius feels like it was forced into its flying type.

Why is everyone hating on the type of Rowlet? I think it is rather cute <3

Why is everyone hating on the type of Rowlet? I think it is rather cute <3

Rowlet is so cute, but I like Litten a bit more. Popplio, meh, I mean I like it, I just wouldn't pick it and since I usually get both versions, I'm probably getting Rowlet and Litten and then restarting one of them to get Popplio. But I truly like Rowlet and its typing. I mean, it's grass-flying and not seemingly forced like Tropius!

TEAM ROWLET FTW!!!!!