GuardianOfBelief

Random Option For Names

Because it can be difficult to think up unique names, my suggestion is a button that suggests a random name for your dragon. Edited by GuardianOfBelief

There are lots of name generators out there that you can use. Or just name them something using the letters of their code, adding in other letters to make something that works. I do that a lot with my dragons. I don't think we need an onsite generator.

While it could be really nice to have, its not something that would necessarily work here, due to the whole "only one thing can have that name" thing.

Especially since DC names have to be unique, it would be kinda nice to have a diverse random name generator on site (although I don't know how much space it may take up to have to search for dupes of names and make sure the suggestion isn't a dupe).

My only CS pets named are the ones I decided to select "choose random names for me on". And I rarely name dragons anymore. Might name more if the site filled in names for me. =p

I'm just not motivated/don't care enough to go searching out a name generator and then name my dragons. If it happened in one step, more people may be interested in some of the lines I can breed. =p

I'm between wanting this, and hoping the name generator isn't just gonna vomit a mess of incoherent letters and numbers that barely read like a name xd.png

A name generator really doesn't work with the original names requirement we have. It would have to be very creatively coded, and would probably come up with very strange names due to how it would have to stick random stuff together to get unique names.

If you have trouble coming up with names, just use the code, adding vowels as needed. Either ignore numbers or use this conversion:

1 - I or L

2 - Z

3 - E

4 - A

5 - S

6 - G or B

7 - T

8 - B

9 - G

0 - O

For example, my O8a9e is Obage ki Qays and my GNuJq is Ganujaq ki Qays, ki Qays being my "clan name".

While it could be really nice to have, its not something that would necessarily work here, due to the whole "only one thing can have that name" thing.

^ Pretty much this. It would almost have to generate incoherent babble as opposed to actual names; I think it would be frustrating every time it generated "Bob" and nobody could actually use the name.

I've used other name generators and modified my results to make the names usable, but a generator wouldn't be practical to implement here.

No support. For one: Has several have said, it would likely spit out incoherent jibberish. For two: There's no real need, like Pokemonfan13 said you can easily adapt codes into names if having un-named dragons bugs you. Many of my dragons are named after either their code or their parents.

No support. For one: Has several have said, it would likely spit out incoherent jibberish. For two: There's no real need, like Pokemonfan13 said you can easily adapt codes into names if having un-named dragons bugs you. Many of my dragons are named after either their code or their parents.

I'm just quoting you but these are general responses to what you and others have brought up. ^^

-Unnamed dragons don't bother me but they do bother others (for example, I do love breeding and sharing my dragons, but they can be less desired to grab because my dragons tend to be unnamed)

-Since I don't care about names, I do not have the energy or motivation to go name ~5k dragons, not even to go name my most common breeders or nice lines (and that is something I would actually like to do so I can find them more easily)

-The methods described don't interest me because I'm not really interested in naming

-But more of my dragons would likely be named if the site filled in the boxes for me and I could accept or decline xP

So, no, not necessary, but would still have several perks if possible to code so it doesn't suggest dupes!

I don't care about a name generator one way or the other, but if the concern is gibberish - make it cool gibberish. Specifically, translate the generated name into Saurian, or some other invented language. Nobody will care that your dragon's "real" name is Frosty Buttercup if what they see is Vhejk0 Rikkohsif.

Seriously, TJ's dragons are all named very literally, which you'll see if you translate the names - Flying Sky Dragon, Black Dragon, Other Black Dragon. But nobody cares because the Saurian names look awesome.

I'm not opposed to this in theory, but I don't see how it would work beyond spitting out something that looks like a drunken monkey rolled on the keyboard due to the no duplicate names thing.

I mean, a lot of names people use are just nice collections of sound that don't mean anything anyway, but it still looks... A bit weird when it's like xhiwngaandg or something haha.

But aside from it doing that, I really have no idea how it would function.

If a way could be found to make it work--or if people don't care if they get gibberish--I see no reason to be opposed to it.

I wouldn't rely on it, but I would possibly make use of it now and again at least for inspiration. And, as long as it didn't come about alongside removal of unique names, then I see no reason why implementing it would be a bad thing.

So, I guess...

Put me down as tentative support?

I'm all for this honestly regardless if it just spat out unintelligible gibberish

I don't really name my dragons anymore and like sockpuppet I just don't have the motivation or energy to go and name several thousand/hundred dragons all at once, each one with a unique name I had to go and search for one by one

I'd be more inclined to name my dragons if the boxes were filled with just random letters that I could edit a little bit and make usable much more than I am having to search for the names myself in some off-site name generator

I'd like this smile.gif

There is a fansite that has (or had?) a name generator, and it generates names based on the code. I have only tested it once and was impressed that it actually produced names that were pronouncable, so it is definitely possible to code a name generator that does not produce gibberish. And I have no doubt that TJ would find a way to program it such that it also checks whether the name is already taken, so that would be a clear benefit of having it onsite. So if it produced 5-10 random names, and I could use one by just clicking on the one I like most? I would so use that.

Can't remember the fansite with the name generator, I'll edit in the link once I've found it...

Edit: Here it is, Confused Cat is the one who made this wonderful tool: http://confuseddragons.com/script/name.html

Edited by Ha-Ki

There is a fansite that has (or had?) a name generator, and it generates names based on the code. I have only tested it once and was impressed that it actually produced names that were pronouncable, so it is definitely possible to code a name generator that does not produce gibberish. And I have no doubt that TJ would find a way to program it such that it also checks whether the name is already taken, so that would be a clear benefit of having it onsite. So if it produced 5-10 random names, and I could use one by just clicking on the one I like most? I would so use that.

Can't remember the fansite with the name generator, I'll edit in the link once I've found it...

Edit: Here it is, Confused Cat is the one who made this wonderful tool: http://confuseddragons.com/script/name.html

Oh wow. That's all we need ! Brilliant.

I love using Confused Cat for my dragon's names!

I wouldn't use this, since I already *use* online name generators (and no, they don't take that much time or effort), but I wouldn't care if it was implemented. As long as it doesn't automatically name the dragon or anything like that.

Thanks for that ConfusedCat link. smile.gif

Here are links to two of the best naming sites I've ever found...

Behind the Name

Fantasy Name Generator

I've no objection to this idea, but with all the name generators available online, I just don't think it's needed. I'd prefer TJ to use his time to add something more useful to the site.. like new BSA's, new Actions or new Sort Settings.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

Not really much to add either way, since I've got my own set of naming conventions.

Random name generators are actually pretty cool, and can be coded to rarely make gibberish. You just have to start with a (possibly huge) list of 'base' names, that can be just about anything (I've done it with Lord of the Rings, cheeses, and book contents). Then, the code builds this probability map of letters and which ones follow them.

Example: AURADERYN - A maps to U and D, U maps to R, R maps to A and Y, D maps to E, Y maps to N, and N to the end of a word. Repeat this for tons of words, and you have this huge comprehensive list of letter-to-letter pairs!

Then, it picks a random starting letter, and from there, it picks a letter that the starting choice maps to. It repeats this until some ending condition is met, and voila! You've got a name that's almost guaranteed to be unique, and yet similar to coherent names!

I've built a few of these for some games I've made, so it's pretty easy to do, and fun to play with!

I don't buy the argument that it takes too long to use an offsite generator. I use primarily Yafnag and it couldn't be easier. I think you can generate at least 100 names at once if you wish, even picking a starting or ending letter or letters and the maximum length of the name. Then just copy and paste. Why use TJ's valuable time reinventing the wheel?

Why use TJ's valuable time reinventing the wheel?

This ^^^ For that reason only, I don't support. We can add our own little suffixes and affixes not to mention the amount of names that we can still call our dragons. True as we go on, the names might get longer but that no big deal.

No support from me (if you can gather)

But we already have a kind of random name generator on site. Only it generates codes instead of official names.

But we already have a kind of random name generator on site. Only it generates codes instead of official names.

And it is usually pretty easy to add some letters to that code (if necessary) to make a pronounceable and unique name.

This would be nice to have, but there is lots of other name generators you can use, and there is many other things I would prefer to see implemented.

We do have a naming assistance and/or clarification to make sure its ok thread. Perhaps, if we aren't going to start another thread for naming, you could get one of the OPs to perhaps post some links to various name generators. Or start a thread on what people use to think up names and those could be posted. I really think we probably have a thread, but maybe not. That would seem the best place for this. And those sorts of links would be probably best in that thread, and the OP can always be the person to update the most useful links and.or more frequently suggested ideas. Or people can search the thoughts. If you like, you can start that thread, or partner with someone who has already started a thread like that, or partner with someone who likes to run threads to do so.

That I think would be the best bet. But on the flip side, it is pretty easy to type name generator into any search engine and get 123912343 times. Back in my old online mud text games (no graphics thanks), we had a list of some of the "best name generators" for various stuff. However, there are SO many these days that .... I don't know there are any that particularly stand out. Maybe a list that has compiled them better than others.