PrimalLooti

What do you do at the Dentist's?

Hey guys! I've been wondering how other people cope with it. So I wanna ask you this. What do you do when you're laying down and being used on with the dentistry tools and such? Do you close your eyes, look at the ceiling, etc.?

[B]What you do?[/B]
[B]Do you suggest this tactic?[/B]
[B]If you are a dentist or work in the field, what do you suggest doing?[/B]

Edited by PootisLooti

What you do: Depending on which way I am facing, I either look at the ceiling, close my eyes or look out the window at the birds on the bird feeder. happy.gif

Do you suggest this tactic Definitely suggest looking at the birds if you can, lol

If you are a dentist or work in the field, what do you suggest doing? Not a dentist, so... tongue.gif

What you do? Look at the ceiling and daydream. If available, watch TV that's on the ceiling. I usually don't use it as my appointments tend to be short.

Do you suggest this tactic? You can try this if you want to.

What you do? I just try not to stare at the hygienist unless they are talking to me. If they are talking to me I look at them to be polite. Otherwise I watch them through my peripheral vision, while looking at the parts of the light arm or other mechanisms in the area. Unfortunately I'm never facing a window at the office I go to, so no luck there xP

I also do my best to relax, and make things easier on them (so if I feel like they need me to open my mouth wider or something, I'll do that). I try not to breathe on them while they are working [as long as my sinuses aren't plugged from my blasted allergies]. I usually pull my tongue into the back of my mouth to block my throat (I have a fear of swallowing non-food objects - I still struggle with pills xP), which also frees up space for them to work.

Do you suggest this tactic? I do suggest not staring at the hygienist unless you don't feel awkward about it x3 The other quirks I listed might just be my own insecurities, but they do work for me, so if you feel similarly, feel free.

What you do? i keep my eyes open bc i feel weird closing them, but i desperately avoid trying to make eye contact with my dentist, which usually means im staring directly at the light the entire appointment/shifting my eyes around uncomfortably :'')

Do you suggest this tactic? i mean if u want to go blind its probably a great idea !

If you are a dentist or work in the field, what do you suggest doing? im not a dentist but if i was i think id like my patients to cross their eyes the entire time. imagine how funny that would be !

What you do? I have awful anxiety when it comes to the dentist, so I generally try to keep my eyes on the ceiling, or light thingy, as much as possible. I also bring my own mp3 player and headphones and listen to music while they work. I try to think the least about what's going on in my mouth as possible, and about absolutely anything else.

Do you suggest this tactic? Absolutely! Especially if music generally calms you down. Just ask your dentist, or whoever is doing the work on you, the next time you go in if you can bring your own stuff. I'm sure they'd be fine with it.

Posting since I thought I'd share, just last year I was taken to the dentist for the first time ever...aand it was terrifying!

What you do? Closed my eyes! The lights dentists use hurt my sensitive eyes, and to control my extremely nervous self. I also find it really weird that dentists talk to you/ask you things while your mouth is full of stuff, I mean, you can't answer?

Do you suggest this tactic? Close your eyes if you're super-duper nervous like me.

If you are a dentist or work in the field, what do you suggest doing? N/a

Ha! I went to the dentist two days ago, and I was thinking what other people do while they lie in that chair. biggrin.gif

What you do? I mostly stare at the lamp, or the ceiling. To distract myself and keep myself from swallowing too much, I count shapes on the walls or ceiling. I often think about what the dentist might be thinking at that moment, if he thinks I'm a weirdo for looking at him, whether they clean those tools in between every visit or have a bunch of them, why my previous dentist did things differently... tongue.gif Mostly, I let my thoughts wander. Anything to keep my mind occupied.

Do you suggest this tactic? Idunno. I like it. laugh.gif

My old dentist was a woman with beautiful eyes and I could look into her eyes while she checked on me. My new dentist has a different setup where I can't see his face that well. sad.gifxd.png

I scream the entire time I'm there.

lol not really. But I do hate it. I try to keep my eyes closed and my mind wandering. Today I got my braces removed and I pretended I was being examined by aliens.

What you do? I look away from the dentist and count to myself

Do you suggest this tactic? Yes, I usually manage to re-direct my thoughts from the situation with this.

If you are a dentist or work in the field, what do you suggest doing? ---

What you do? I usually try to focus myself on something else, usually I close my eyes (those lights are so bright, plus I feel awkward if I end up staring at the dentist) and basically try to stay as still as possible to make things easy for the dentist, and just daydream. However, don't daydream too much, there has been one time I managed to fell asleep xd.png

Do you suggest this tactic? As long as you don't do like I did and fall asleep, you should be ok. Just try to think of something nice and listen to your dentist and follow instructions.

Some dentists I've visited have had a poster or picture in the ceiling for you to stare at while they work. I've always thought that was a pretty nifty idea.

I don't mind going to the dentist at all, but I tend to just let my eyes wander wherever when there is no picture in the ceiling to look at.

Sometimes they use a mirror for something and often I try to catch a look at what they're doing when they work. I think it's pretty interesting to see.

Edit: I realise this doesn't apply for everyone, but for me, whenever I was afraid of something when I was small, it helped a lot to study it. Like, when I was a wee little lass I was originally very afraid of dinosaurs (I accidentally saw Jurassic Park when I was way too young to handle it), but I got myself a scientific book with lots of pictures about dinosaurs and that fear changed to fascination rather quickly.

That's what's usually worked for me: study it. Understand it.

Edited by Ripan

What you do? Usually just shut my eyes and clench my fists. TBH, I don't find going to the dentist THAT bad. More it's a case of "Urgh" with me, probably because my dentist is really nice which helps a lot. The only time I've actually been scared was when I had to have an injection on the inside lower jaw. I really don't like needles.

Do you suggest this tactic? All I can suggest is try it for yourself.

Edited by CharonDusk

Brutal honesty - I don't trust dentists, I had something occur recently that has made me really mistrustful of them. I did not have a mirror. I don't fear them, I simply do not trust them.

What you do? I ask for a mirror. Yep ladies and gents, I am one of the rare people who will actually watch what they are doing to my teeth. Part of it is facination with the medical field, part of it is - I want to know what they are doing.

Do you suggest this tactic? Depends on your state of stomach, but if you are watching what they are doing, they likely won't take liberties.

Edited by Starscream