Tango

Spriters get unique codes

So holiday spriters get alts, and I think that's how it should stay. But how about spriters of non holidays get a unique code for one of their created dragons? It happened with the prize dragons. I think it'd be a neat little reward that doesn't cause as huge a frenzy as spriter alts.

While it'd certainly be nifty to get to choose codes on our own released dragons, I'm not really sure I see it as necessary. Having a dragon released is rewarding in and of itself. I can't really say I'd oppose it, though, since it's a small thing either way. I guess I'm indifferent?

I think it would be kind of a neat thing if the concept artist were able to have them, kind of a little thank you for coming up with a unique idea.

I'm pretty sure some of the Holiday alts already have custom codes, actually. For non-Holidays? It's a cute idea.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Shrug? As a spriter with one released breed, I'd be cool with this but also not be too bothered if it stays as is.

I'm neither particularly for nor against this idea.

It does seem weird to me that artists get something so special out of what is already one of the most special releases, but I think that's down to the more intense stress during the holidays. But that is why I would lean towards supporting something like this.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I agree with Tawanda001 that it would be neat for the concept artist to get a unique code, otherwise I just remain indifferent about this.

The only issue I see here is that the spriter's don't automatically get an egg of their breed, they have to pick them up from the cave like everyone else. Adding this would be adding yet another hoop TJ has to jump through when releasing a new breed.

I have no real pro/con opinion, seeing as how I'll probably never be that good of a spriter, just pointing this out.

I'm neutral on the suggestion. Cool codes are fun but certainly not needed. And I'd just like to point out that sprite artists/conceptors for holiday dragons have to catch their own too. TJ turns them into the alt form later.

I find this suggestion unnecessary.

Setting aside considerations for the fact this would be yet another thing T.J. would have to do manually for a very small group of users, and setting aside the question of whether or not such a perk would retroactively affect all in-cave releases as well as future ones...

I personally create art because I love to create art, and I make dragons for DC that I as a player would like to see on my scroll. For the former, getting releases is just gravy. There are plenty of concepts I've finished that will never be released, but I still had fun making them and learning from them. For the latter, the release is the reward. Asking for more than that seems silly.

Setting aside considerations for the fact this would be yet another thing T.J. would have to do manually for a very small group of users, and setting aside the question of whether or not such a perk would retroactively affect all in-cave releases as well as future ones...

I personally create art because I love to create art, and I make dragons for DC that I as a player would like to see on my scroll. For the former, getting releases is just gravy. There are plenty of concepts I've finished that will never be released, but I still had fun making them and learning from them. For the latter, the release is the reward. Asking for more than that seems silly.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly

[...]

For the latter, the release is the reward. Asking for more than that seems silly.

I'm not a spriter, but this sums up what I think about this suggestion.

I personally create art because I love to create art, and I make dragons for DC that I as a player would like to see on my scroll. For the former, getting releases is just gravy. There are plenty of concepts I've finished that will never be released, but I still had fun making them and learning from them. For the latter, the release is the reward.

I like the way Odeen expressed this. I'm not much of a code hunter but I do tend to smile over cool codes when I find one. So it's a little attractive to me to think I could choose one or two. But perks like this are not the reason I sprite. Even getting a dragon I've created released isn't the reason I sprite. I just like thinking up dragon concepts and then seeing if I can turn them into reality.

I don't really see a benefit to the game if TJ does implement this. I think there are better uses of his time.

To be honest I agree with Odeen, If I were to ever some how get any sort of release of my art on any website (I can dream xd.png), just that would be amazing enough, the whole added code thing seems a bit excessive upon further reflection.

I will weigh in since I actually do have a uniquely coded spriter alt.

One of my alt Heartseekers, Banner of the Lady, has the code Lyzar. However, that isn't something I requested. TJ surprised me with it out of the blue.

(It's doubly amusing since "Lyzar" is a male. I still need to write him a description about the other dragons making fun of him. Something along the lines of "A Boy Named Sue", maybe.)

I am indifferent on this suggestion. Custom codes aren't my cup of tea since at least one that was vulgar was allowed to remain on the site.

However, IMO part of the custom code is to easily show that the prize is a CB prize (if the winner desires it). Spriter alts are already different enough and don't really need that special recognition.

To some extent I think it's a shame the spriter's alt thing ever started. It's special enough to get a holiday dragon released in the site without also getting an ultra exclusive version of it that people will pay an arm and a leg just for a 2nd gen, and it really doesn't make sense to me that holidays get special alts but regular cave dragons don't. It's tougher for cave dragons since they tend to have longer credit lists, sometimes with people who barely did anything, due to the nature of DR, but fair is fair.

I'm not really suggesting that regular cave dragons get spriters' alts, since that would be just a mess, especially if they were retroactive (which would be the only fair way). Just mainly saying that the whole situation stinks and there's no good solution.

Well, if I'll be an artist, I still would like the alt sprite for myself. I don't really mind having a special code too but I see that rule or convention as unnecessary.

I would prefer not to have this. I agree with PF13 and it's a shame we even have spriter alts, but oh well. I would think it would be neat to add a custom code as another reward through the raffles. One common dragon with a custom code.