The Holly Contest

The Holly Contest 2016 Dragon Poll

What Dragon Would You Like To Collect This Year  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You know, since it's so close, maybe a runoff vote is a good idea? Let the people who voted for one of the other breeds re-vote for either Storm/Gray or GSD. I think that's the fairest way to pick the winner, especially if they end up with only one or two points' difference between them. (And yes, I still feel that way even if the one or two points' difference is in favor of Storms. xd.png)

That sounds like the best solution for such a sitution.

I am not sure if i will participate when the Storms are winning. Sure i will collect Storms but not officially for the Holly Contest. But i will likely donate a Holly.

It IS a good idea. However to be fair that would require having another poll for at least week longer to give everyone adequate time to re-vote.

I am already anxious to get the winner chosen and this officially started and as a Mod I am not even participating, so am sure several actual participants would be as well lol. So meh idk.

Hmm, yes, that is true. I suppose it'd depend on how close the finish is - maybe if it's an actual tie or just one off?

Just my opinion, but I would think that unless there is a tie there would be no need for a second vote. It is perfectly ok for a dragon to lose by one vote. Do we know that a second vote will not result in one dragon winning by one vote? Then what, another vote?

I think at this point to continue the voting into another round has a good chance of discouraging participants who are anxiously waiting to catch whatever is decided on.

I'm not an active participant in the thread, so feel free to disregard me, but neither grays nor GSDs seem like a great choice if the goal is make things less common / easier to breed lineages with. Grays aren't really the first breed people think of when you think of blockers, and my own experiences breeding them recently suggest they breed stubbornly already (was just gifted a shimmer from grays--usually prizes won't breed true with super commons--and a pair of 2g grays from spriter's alts that I've been breeding together took almost a month to produce). GSDs, while blockers, only block in ONE biome, and between that and their limited breeding, even success in making them less common isn't likely to have as much of an effect as working with a normal dragon that's present in all, or at least most, biomes.

Just my 50 cents. ;;

I agree that unless they tie, there probably shouldn't be a second vote.

And I agree with you angelic x)

It would be awesome to see one of the original dragons (Gray) win the poll. They've had less love for a lot more years. IMO

I also think that's it's perfectly fine for a dragon to lose for a vote or two and that there's no real need for additional polls. May the best/worst dragon win! wink.gif

I don't think I saw a true hate post about GSD's (I certainly don't hate them, they have their charms, but apart from my 8 CB's I really don't need any more :3), but they do have limited breeding possibilities due to them being drakes and they clot up the forest biome more often then not, while others tend to be picked up faster. Hmm, I didn't take the AP into account, it's true that you don't see them there as often, but again, this is because people don't breed them as much.

I'd be fine with any chosen breed though and will collect anything. smile.gif

I see them in the AP fairly often... but they're usually CBs, probably picked up to get rid of the blockage and then dumped after cooldown is over.

I did pick up a PB pair from the AP last week, too, though.

I don't see GSDs very often at all. Grays/Fogs are definitely more common imo. If an entire thread plans to horde a dragon, then the Gray/Fog would definitely be the wisest to go with, as they are easier to collect, and have several more breeding options. GSDs are just a bad idea.

I don't see GSDs very often at all. Grays/Fogs are definitely more common imo. If an entire thread plans to horde a dragon, then the Gray/Fog would definitely be the wisest to go with, as they are easier to collect, and have several more breeding options. GSDs are just a bad idea.

*shrugs* I guess it depends on the time you hunt - recently, I haven't seen any of Fogs in the Cave and only some in the AP, while seeing GSD's in the forest biome during almost every 5min drop, just sitting there. It's all luck, I probably just missed them.

In any case, I know that whichever dragon gets to be collected I'll be sure to make some nice lineage projects with them to help their numbers and hopefully inspire more people to start making lines with them too. With Grays there'll definitely be more mates to choose from, but I'd be happy to take on a drake project too, it'd be the first one for me.

Edited by stagazer_7

Speaking as someone who likes to breed Fogs, they can be a pain sometimes but easy other times. It really varies. Their popularity goes up and down in weird swings. They do have one of the cooler sprites for an older dragon, but, honestly, gray is a color that just doesn't do much for a lot of people. So other than people like me who are drawn to the rain/storm/fog/weather thing, they don't tend to get much appreciation. They may not be what people stereotypically think of as a blocker, but that doesn't mean they're particularly well-loved either. I see a lot more stuff x White, for example, than I do x Grey/Storm.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I understand this project has always had a ONE dragon focus for max impact. And that totally has made a huge impact. However, since its inception, we have a TON more dragons and more to come with regular releases, with most releases usually being more than one dragon.

And there has also been a movement to try and get more variety within the different types of dragon sub-breeds, or even just normal dragons but certain styles or colors or biomes or whatever that may be underrepresented.

There seems to be a lot of support for two breeds this year, and both for vary different, very compelling reasons. These dragons have no overlap, can't interbreed, generally impact and show up differently, and are from different sub-species. And they are very close on the voting.

I also know that while greys are a common dragon, they are also well liked by a lot of players and used in many lineages by a lot of people. I'm not saying everyone, but they are a well liked species. And there is also a large movement with both dragon creators and players to do more with drakes, two heads, etc. to give those others some love.

Would it be a horrible idea, that in the newer world of DC with its various numbers and new goals and outlooks, that maybe 2 species, especially such very different on so many levels, might be a better choice with the current response? Or even just a choice thrown out there to see how those who participate might feel about it? Even the hunting and blocking of both breeds are in very different places and timings, and so however someone wants to hunt them down, you would have something that would apply to any style, even though each is very different.

Would it be a horrible idea, that in the newer world of DC with its various numbers and new goals and outlooks, that maybe 2 species, especially such very different on so many levels, might be a better choice with the current response? Or even just a choice thrown out there to see how those who participate might feel about it? Even the hunting and blocking of both breeds are in very different places and timings, and so however someone wants to hunt them down, you would have something that would apply to any style, even though each is very different.

I don't think it would be a horrible idea as long as we don't have to do what some people suggested about having a certain percentage of each cause if we do 2 different dragons the mods will have more work without having to start messing around with percentages.

Going by the vote it wouldn't really matter if someone collected both of them or just one of them cause their are a lot of people out there that want either one of the two.

hmm ok hopefully you understood what I just said laugh.gif

Edited by Paige201208

It is Monday Jan 18, 2016 which means once we can get hold of a mod, will get this poll closed and officially start this years Holly Contest 2016.

Poll results currently show votes as follows:

70 - Storm / Grey

65 - Greater Spotted Drake

32 - Striped River

30 - Nocturne

11 - Duotone

~Hawkster

Edited by The Holly Contest