pederino

Changing how holidays behave

I can see how a full month can be too much. But lets look at it this way:

You have a full month to do whatever you want with that specific holiday (be it woliday, halloween or valentines), in which you can do what you can do in a week, and more, with more patience.

But no - you can't. If you are building a checker you WILL get a holiday even when you don't want one. Or (worse) get stuck with a non holiday, if they aren't guaranteed, as they are now.

Your idea means that would be the case for the various holiday ones together for A FULL QUARTER OF THE YEAR - THREE WHOLE MONTHS. No Way Jose.

I would like a line of non-holidays on the AP (not a separate whole page, though) as so many people do want that, even though I don't. But the rest works fine for me.

But no - you can't. If you are building a checker you WILL get a holiday even when you don't want one. Or (worse) get stuck with a non holiday, if they aren't guaranteed, as they are now.

Your idea means that would be the case for the various holiday ones together for A FULL QUARTER OF THE YEAR - THREE WHOLE MONTHS. No Way Jose.

I would like a line of non-holidays on the AP (not a separate whole page, though) as so many people do want that, even though I don't. But the rest works fine for me.

Actually, it would be individually. As I said, with a month you dont have to breed like crazy. Lets say, for example, you normally breed/catch 7 (being you a gold-user of course) Holidays since the first day every 2 days for the full week, that would be 7 x 3 = 21. in a month, you can breed/catch only 2 holidays every 2 days since the start of the month until the end of the month, we have to take a week because of the new holidays (3 days) and the past ones (4 days): that would mean around 21 days, for february (the month with least days), which is 2 x 10 = 20. Now you can make up for that extra space for almost whatever you want: CB non-holidays, X gen non-holidays from the not active holidays (which means you can get a non-holiday from a halloween just as long as you dont do it on october), X gen non-holiday from non-holidays, even more breds of the active holiday, dragon gifts for your friends, or simply nothing if you like.

So, you can get non-holidays from valentines during october and december. From wolidays during february and october. And from halloweens during february and december. You have 11 months to breed a non-holiday out of a holiday.

The idea of a month was that it happened like a regular month while everyone could get, with less effort, what they get in a week; and in which people can gift holiday dragons without feeling rushed when doing it. But, again, if a month really is that much, 2 weeks may be a good compromise, as it gives space to the past holidays, while only boosting the breeding week for, technically, 3 days:

• 1st week: breeding week starts.
  • first 3 days of the 2nd week: breeding week continues.
  • last 4 days of the 2nd week: breeding week continues, past holidays drop in cave.
  • 3 first days of the 3rd week: breeding week continues, past holidays stop dropping, new holidays drop in cave.
  • 4th day of the 3rd week: breeding week ends, new holidays stop dropping.

And as I still say - there is NO need for longer than a week.

One week is fine. Two would be fine, too. But a whole month? No way.

Don't forget that new holidays cannot be bred in the season of their birth, and that we probably wouldn't be able to breed the same holiday dragon twice for more holiday eggs, either. And, knowing my fellow players, I suspect that we'd get involved in even more holiday projects than we already are and would thus need to be egg-locked all the time anyway - and with holidays, no less.

Ok currently, as you said you can get 21 Holidays.

With your suggestion you are making up your one off day at end week, so every fortnight (2 weeks) you can get your 7 eggs 7 times per fortnight. (1 extra more grab) which brings total to 49 per fortnight or 98 per month. Will just keep it simple instead of trying to count end date for each specific holiday. (The actual amount for every holiday will be all different in reality).

Sure you dont have too, this suggestion does allow you to still get your original 21 spread out over the whole month if you prefer plus allows you to get non-holidays as well. And if someone wants they can go hog wild the whole month getting all 98. I can see most actually doing that at first, but than I can see everyone getting bored with this special holiday event and end result is it just is not that special anymore once you have scroll filled with them. I look at it similarly as it is in real life. Most do not actually celebrate that holiday the whole month so why should it be done longer than week here? Christmas is great example, due to shops etc, a lot of people get sick of seeing it for such an extended period of time. That to me adds more stress and anxiety and feeling of being burnt out. Once again I can see that happening here.

But I cant help wondering if the way it is now really is that stressful, why not do what I normally do. Mostly just because I am busy. Even when I am not busy, I actually just play those special event games TJ offers us. I readily admit what works for me might not be for everyone but it is something to consider and it might just work for others too.

First or second day of holiday breeding week, I log in get 7 holidays. I dont log back in again until day of actual new release, get my 2 new eggs and than hunt for 5 more holidays to be egg locked. I have spent whole two times logging in to hunt for holidays in weeks time. It is actually less stressful for me during these holidays than rest of the year, as I spend far more time hunting during the week normally. I dont need to extend breeding season, yet I have accomplished the same thing. Plus there will always be next year.

By changing your playstyle habits the stress of it all can be fixed with no other in-game changes required. That only leaves the issue of being able to hunt for non-holidays during the holiday week. So request an in-game change for that with either your suggestion or one of several others listed previously.

Want this.

A month long breeding period would be awesome for me but only if I can breed my holiday dragons (and get holiday eggs) every week within it... Otherwise it doesn't make sense to extend the window so much.

2 weeks sounds fine in any case, especially with old breeds dropping as CBs.

Edited by VixenDra

I think I posted this somewhere else already, but can't remember where:

I could imagine removing a time limit for holiday dragon breeding, but only resetting their ability to breed holidays when the holiday rolls around.

So, for example, on Valentines day, your Valentine dragons would be unlocked for breeding Valentine dragons, but if you didn't breed them until December, you could still pop out a Valentine dragon in December.

That would radically change how we do holiday breeding, so I'm not entirely sold on the idea yet, but I thought it might make for an interesting alternative. It would remove almost all of the breeding stress, make bloodswapping easier, make it easier to juggle many more lineages with holiday dragons, but it might also make people hold out for expensive trades of holiday dragons six-ish months after the holiday, when most people would have already bred theirs. (I'm genuinely unsure if that would be an issue - possibly for old 2G holidays? At least assuming we don't get CBs eventually reinstated.)

Edited by pinkgothic

I could imagine removing a time limit for holiday dragon breeding, but only resetting their ability to breed holidays when the holiday rolls around.

So, for example, on Valentines day, your Valentine dragons would be unlocked for breeding Valentine dragons, but if you didn't breed them until December, you could still pop out a Valentine dragon in December.

That would radically change how we do holiday breeding, so I'm not entirely sold on the idea yet, but I thought it might make for an interesting alternative. It would remove almost all of the breeding stress, make bloodswapping easier, make it easier to juggle many more lineages with holiday dragons, but it might also make people hold out for expensive trades of holiday dragons six-ish months after the holiday, when most people would have already bred theirs. (I'm genuinely unsure if that would be an issue - possibly for old 2G holidays? At least assuming we don't get CBs eventually reinstated.)

THIS is an interesting idea.

I am unsure how I feel bout it, but it is interesting.

Of course, i wouldn't say 'no' to cbs reinstated either.... particularly as there are some breeds I missed out on. xd.png

As to your point about trades, I WONDER how much of a problem that would become... I would GUESS most would still breed theirs shortly after the holday happened. THOUGH there would be those that held out. ( I would trade anything particularly valuable for holidays, tho... cus I can catch all I want at holiday time pretty muich and I doubt tht that fact would change...)

Edited by Silverswift

At first glance, this sounds like a good idea. But what about those people who rely on other people's multiclutches turning the AP into holiday wonderland to get their first few eggs of those breeds? Or those who need the AP wall to add nice stuff to their own lineages? (I did just that last Valentine's, looking for any generation of red x val '09 to get further breeding stock. I already had everything from 2nd to 4th gen (all related), and added an unrelated 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 4th gen to my collection. Not to mention that I got several reds of that lineage after the breeding week which I could get because I found people's announcements in the congrats thread in SD.)

But what about those people who rely on other people's multiclutches turning the AP into holiday wonderland to get their first few eggs of those breeds? Or those who need the AP wall to add nice stuff to their own lineages?

What about them? smile.gif I'm not suggesting removing multi-clutching, if that's your concern, nor changing the way holiday eggs have priority over regular eggs in the AP. So they'd still pop up - and I would expect the vast majority would pop up near the holiday. I would still expect a wall near the time of the unlock. It wouldn't last nearly as long as it does now, no doubt, but I would still expect it to be there.

(I guess technically I'm not suggesting anything, since I'm not sold on my idea. I was hoping someone else might like it enough to work it into something reasonable, or as inspiration for something strictly superior.)

Edited by pinkgothic

What about them is that you could end up with multiclutches of Valentines clogging the Christmas AP... NOT OK, IMNVHO !

What about them is that you could end up with multiclutches of Valentines clogging the Christmas AP... NOT OK, IMNVHO !

That would be a nightmare! blink.gif

In fact, I think the Nightmare Before Christmas is the cautionary tale to consider in messing with the holidays. DON'T!

Why? smile.gif

Because I - and most people here - want to stalk the AP for CURRENT holidays, not past ones.

Why? smile.gif

Because you are supposed to see christmas eggs during christmas breeding season. Not valentines.

About your idea, what I think is best is that holidays can get a chance to breed true outside their breeding season, but it should be an extra rare occurrence (1 or 2 every year per holiday dragon, and thats if you are lucky) and if you are lucky enough to get a holiday outside its breeding season, it should not come with a multiclutch.

Edit: forgot to mention that I did some minor changes to the main topic.

Edited by pederino

Not really a good idea. Holiday dragons are special insofar that they don't breed true outside their breeding season, period. To make up for that little personality quirk, we're guaranteed an egg when breeding them during their breeding period, not to mention that there's a really high chance of getting a multi-clutch to spread the joy. Personally, I really like this the way it is.

Why? smile.gif

Halloween = Halloween eggs

Winter holiday = Winter Holiday eggs

Valentine's = Valentine eggs.

I have a promise of a Yulebuck mate for my Marrow girl, https://dragcave.net/lineage/e44eF, next Christmas. If the breeder ended up with a Marrow at Christmas, we would both be very disappointed. dry.gif

Because you are supposed to see christmas eggs during christmas breeding season. Not valentines.

You would, predominantly. That said, there wouldn't be a 'Christmas breeding season', though. (Which, coincidentally, is a large part of why I'm iffy on the whole thing. Like I said, it would change a lot of dynamics we've grown used to.)

About your idea, what I think is best is that holidays can get a chance to breed true outside their breeding season, but it should be an extra rare occurrence (1 or 2 every year per holiday dragon, and thats if you are lucky) and if you are lucky enough to get a holiday outside its breeding season, it should not come with a multiclutch.

That sounds like an interesting way to handle it, too.

(For those just tuning in: My 'suggestion' would have restricted it to once a year per holiday dragon, which would be true for the first time the holiday dragon was bred after its corresponding holiday. [Edit: Forgot to add: It would multi-clutch regardless when bred true, but you could only do that once a year for a given dragon.])

I have a promise of a Yulebuck mate for my Marrow girl, https://dragcave.net/lineage/e44eF, next Christmas. If the breeder ended up with a Marrow at Christmas, we would both be very disappointed. dry.gif

Well, if the mechanic was changed, why would you not breed the Halloween dragon between Halloween and Christmas to reset the Halloween dragon's holiday breeding? smile.gif Not to mention that if it doesn't throw a clutch of both Halloweens and Christmases, the Christmas dragon wouldn't be marked as having bred true, so you'd just breed it again a week afterward to trigger its breeding-true, in turn. I see no room for grave disappointment - just a moment of "oh, d'oh!".

Edited by pinkgothic

Still, why change this particular mechanic at all? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

I'd prefer to just make holidays breedable all year long (with cbs available only during their holidays). xP

This is a neat idea and helpful for people that don't get pairs together before the breeding season ends, but I'm not sure it's the best way to go about things if we just want to keep it simple and easy.

Still, why change this particular mechanic at all? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

I'm going to start saying this every time I see this in a thread: but just because something isn't "broke" doesn't mean it can't be improved.

I'd prefer to just make holidays breedable all year long (with cbs available only during their holidays). xP

What - like I could breed a holly in July ? Um - not sure about that.... but it WOULD put an end to the holiday walls.

This is a neat idea and helpful for people that don't get pairs together before the breeding season ends, but I'm not sure it's the best way to go about things if we just want to keep it simple and easy.

I'm going to start saying this every time I see this in a thread: but just because something isn't "broke" doesn't mean it can't be improved.

I agree with this!

However I do think that there should be:

1. No multiclutches from Holidays unless it is their respective holiday breeding season

2. The chance of the holiday egg being bred is high (think of a Gold X Gold breeding chance perhaps?)

I disagree with the idea of the biomes being split into two, one for past holiday eggs and one for current eggs, it makes things too confusing. Plus who really would hunt for regular eggs then? The AP shouldn't also be split into two, there should just be one-two lines of non-holiday eggs.

I am indifferent as to if the limit is increased for CB Christmas and Valentines dragons, 2 is fine, but 4 would be nice. Perhaps the limit can be raised to 4 AFTER it's first year of release.

I do prefer this suggestion to the store, and would rather see this implemented as a way to obtain previous CB Holidays.

There are a lot of other things here that I support with this suggestion, but overall as of now there is few that I disagree with. I will be watching though!

I'd prefer to just make holidays breedable all year long (with cbs available only during their holidays).

I like pinkgothic's idea. But I prefer this suggestion.

While I think that the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" feeling is often wrong (heck, the grammar used to express it should invalidate it without anything else), it sentiment can be valid. While something not being "broken" is no reason why it can't be improved, if it is changed it should be a significant improvement. I don't see these various suggestions to change holiday breeding as an improvement.

Most seem like they would essentially or completely do away with the AP wall, which is a great time for players to catch some great lineages that they would never be able to trade for. It's a big part of the fun of the various holidays.

What - like I could breed a holly in July ? Um - not sure about that.... but it WOULD put an end to the holiday walls.

Yes, I mean that you could breed a holly anytime during the year, including July. ^^

/semi-serious suggestion, kinda curious on opinions