Red2111

Second Chance - Refusals

Name: none

Breed: none, instead this would be a BSA as part of the Valentine Breeding Season offered to all users.

Function: Allows for breeders to attempt to breed two dragons that have previously rejected once a year in an attempt to reset the rejection.

Cooldown: 1 year. (only available during the Valentine Breeding Season; Feb 8th - Feb 14th.) previously rejected mates show back up on the breedable mates list for all dragons

Text: none

angelicdragonpuppy Reconciliation thread has the right idea of it. from my point of view, there really does seem to be an increase of rejections lately (i've gotten more rejections in the past 6 months than i've ever gotten int he past 5 years of playing this game).

the one down side of adp's thread is its attached to rare dragons. so what i'm proposing is to have the BSA attached to the Holiday itself, and restricted by a limited breeding attempt window (Feb 8th - Feb 14th) rather than by a breed, or trophy limit.

some may ask, Why Valentines?? simply put, its the holiday dedicated to love and makes the most sense in relation to what the aim for this BSA is.

*edited on 1/6 to tweek the mechanic*

the concept behind this is relatively simple

See Flow Chart (numbers used are arbitrary, TJ sets those not me)

short story -

if dragons dont reject, its the status quo BUT if dragons do reject, during the Valentine Breeding Week, you get another chance to breed them.

1a - if they reject you can try them again next Valentines

1b - if the dont reject you can breed them as normal BUT they still retain the ability to reject again.

*Valentines bred to rejected mates are auto reset for out of season attempts

*does not effect how Valentine breeding currently works (only val eggs, multi clutches, no rejections)

*Pairs must be bred in the time frame for it to apply

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

long story -

there would still be a chance of Rejection and any rejected pairs not tried in this time frame would remain rejected until new Valentine Breeding Season.

also, any pairs that decide to give breeding a 2nd chance, would retain their ability to Reject at anytime we try to breed them together again. the reason for keeping the rejection chance is because we're forcing dragons to like eachother

for Valentines, their breeding mechanic would remain as is during the breeding season (ie: they'd breed true, and rejection would remain off and Multi-Clutch would be on for Valentines only) but any pairs that rejected out of season previously but were bred that in season, could be tried again out of season.

for example: Azteca and Trifle rejected out of season. in 2016 i breed them and get Sweetlings; after the breeding season i can try the pair again (at a higher rate of rejection) to see if they'll accept each other out of season.

this doesn't remove rejections, which are an annoying but interesting quirk to this game. it gives the dragons personality and creates a challenge for everyone.

it also doesn't remove the threat of rejection from pairs, after they've already rejected; in fact it keeps the spirit of the mechanic alive by increasing the chance for re-rejection between the two dragons (which mimics real life in a way).

and its not a passive action, you have to remember when to use it and what pairs to use it on (which is similar to what we already do with holiday breeding plans).

as an added cost/challenge/bonus to this, they may even produce an egg when you try for a 2nd chance; which means because its during a holiday season users have to make the choice. either keep an egg slot open on the off chance the give an egg during this time; or let the egg (if there is one) go to the AP and try again out of season since the rejection has been reset.

what it does, is helps to counteract those refusals between hard to replace dragons that basically throw a breeding project or our hard collecting efforts into the trash; and gives us the hope that our efforts weren't wasted and that one day maybe the two dragons we know belong together ... will finally listen to us laugh.gif

in all likely hood, the way this should work for the breeding mechanic is this

allow for the dragons to reject on any given breeding attempt (rather than doing away with it completely).

No Interests and Breed but no egg, would probably be the highest result from gettign the ability to re-try rejected pairs.

Edited by Red2111

I have no problem with the purpose of this idea, but I have a major issue with the 'increased chance of a refusal'.

The whole premise behind the idea is to get the pair to breed, not make them hate each other more. Forget the 'increased chance of refusal' and just go for a total reset. As in, make it like it's the first time breeding the pair.. with their chances being no better or worse than the original try.

Personally, I think that Refusals should be removed from the game completely. It serves no real purpose except to cause frustration and make the game harder than it should be. If the purpose is to reduce the chance of eggs, just do it that way... increase the chance of not getting an egg this week. Breeding rates for some dragons are pathetic anyway, so it won't make much difference there. But refusals are game changers.. especially when it's a specially bred pairing that you traded for, or bred purposely.

I like this idea. It seems to keep the idea of refusals - not all dragons are going to like each other - while allowing a way to retry that irreplaceable breeding pair.

I would agree with Draconna though, in that the chance of refusal should be the same as when first bred. Yes, increasing the refusal chance would be more realistic, but you can bet anyone unfortunate enough to have their dragons refuse in the first place would be getting another refusal every single year. Plus, we don't have the 'more realistic' feature of refusal rates being different for different breed pairs, and I definitely wouldn't want such a feature. There does come a point where something does become too realistic - it's just a game!

I guess I can't fully understand refusals since I've never had one (my luck with this game seems to be brilliant) but I still think they seem a little unfair. This suggestion seems like a very well thought-out countermeasure, and I like it. smile.gif

Technically this isn't a BSA at all. There is no "action", it is just a state of the cave during the valentine breeding season, and so really should be in the regular suggestions section.

A problem I see. The quandary of if you should try to reset a refusal or breed the pair you want to breed if one of the dragons in question is a valentine or your valentines intended mate. If you want your CB gold to be one of your valentines' mates, but it also has a refusal with your CB silver and you really want that pair to breed, do you breed for valentines eggs or breed for refusal reset?

It rather removes the point of this if, as I understand you, the dragons could reject again any time you breed them. If they're intended mates for a lineage, for example, rather than random dragons you'd like to be able to breed, you're basically guaranteed another rejection since they're going to be bred a lot and only to each other. Even a small chance of re-rejection essentially guarantees a rejection the dice are rolled often enough. A single chance of it not working is different and makes sense.

I don't see why it is a problem to have it as a BSA on the entire category of valentines dragons. They are available as a glut every year, both bred ones in the AP and CBs that you are basically guaranteed to get if you make half an effort. They are not "rare" dragons like golds in the sense that not every user can get a gold, and giving a gold a useful BSA would make them even rarer. Valentines, like every holiday breed, should be on every active user's scroll that has been a member long enough, unless they just hate valentines and refuse to collect them, but that's their problem.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

re-Valentine Dragon BSA

though i dont share this opinion. the consensus seemed to be:

* disadvantages new players who haven't had a chance to collect valentines

* forces people who want the BSA but dont collect holidays/valentines to collect them

* makes an already high in-demand dragons (ie: rares) even more so in demand.

* TJ said no BSA's on rare dragons, and all holidays are rare.

like i said, i dont share these opinions; but theres the devils advocate side of it. i agree with you PF13,

re-mate choice. if you want a 2G Arsani from your Gold, but also want to reset the rejection between your Arsani and Silver then you have a choice to make as far as which is your higher priority. you can either breed your 2G from a gold and aim to reset the refusal next year or catch another Silver. or you can breed a 2G from a Silver and try to catch a 2G from a Gold in the AP or trade for one.

its the same choice we make now with our limited CBs. i've got a list as long as my arms as 2G's i want to breed from my CB's ... but i only have 1 or 2 of them. so i have to either wait next year or hope for a lucky trade/catch xd.png

you have to set your priorities in this case and live with your choices, but be happy with that fact that at least there IS a way to reset the refusal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as far as the re-rejection potential. theres two reason why its included. IMO, the reason why rejections are included is to provide a sense of realism to the breeding mechanic (ie: not all things are compatible).

TJ obviously likes the mechanic and what it accomplishes, or else he would have relented to our pleas and gripes to remove it xd.png or given us a BSA to counter it instead of the Expunge BSA.

this suggestion isn't meant to be a loop hole to rejections, and a scott free re-due card. its meant to be a compromise. a compromise isn't where one side gets everything they want, its where both sides give up something to get something

we get a chance to reset refusal pairs, but at the cost of potential egg slots, Valentine pairings and a slightly higher chance of re-refusal from dragons that have already refused. TJ gets us all to stop griping about the refusals while keeping the essence of a mechanic he obviously either likes or feels is needed.

as for the other reason why i included that is because of the realism aspect.

if you believe you're incompatible with someone, but others force you to give it another try with that person ... theres a greater chance that your going to go NOPE at some point down the line because of your initial dislike for the person.

in this case, here we are, tiny little humans telling these huge dragons that have stated rather potentially that they dont like each other; that they should give it another try. first, we're lucky we dont get eaten ... lastly the first impression of NOPE is still there.

so what i'm suggesting is this (with arbitrary numbers).

http://i66.tinypic.com/2zdrq89.png ~Linked for size~

the Final Reset would be the final numbers as far as Rejection/No Interest/No Egg/Egg rates. you'd still get to retry the pair after this, but thats just what you would have number wise.

the only difference between pairs that have rejected and are reset; and those that ever rejected; is that the threat of a new rejection always exists between that pairing.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Technically this isn't a BSA at all. There is no "action", it is just a state of the cave during the valentine breeding season, and so really should be in the regular suggestions section.

I agree:

Breed: none, instead this would be a BSA as part of the Valentine Breeding Season offered to all users.

This is more just an extension on resetting refusals during a specific time. Therefore, I did move this out of the BSA section.

And since it's not a BSA, you don't need to worry about things like "rare dragons not having a BSA" since this isn't something any dragon has to apply on another dragon.

I agree that there should be something done or altered with rejections, but if we did a limited thing like this (rather than completely getting rid of refusals, which I support), I think actually a BSA might be simpler than something that is dependent on time of year.

I'll support anything that would do something about refusals.

I don't mind having a single chance of refusing again after the reset. What I mind, and if you didn't intend it that way you need to reword things, is if every single time in future breedings there is a refusal chance. It's basically guaranteeing that that pair reaches permanent refusal eventually.

I don't mind having a single chance of refusing again after the reset. What I mind, and if you didn't intend it that way you need to reword things, is if every single time in future breedings there is a refusal chance. It's basically guaranteeing that that pair reaches permanent refusal eventually.

- which is actually no worse than what we have now, when you think on. A second chance at anything doesn't guarantee success.

@ Sock - a BSA is good as well; the problem there is the value this BSA would place on a dragon and that no one can seem to agree on any dragon outside of the Valentine breeds.

i'd actually argue that this BSA would be more useful than the Incubate at this point.

the main problem with the BSA is that i fear it would be about as useful as Fertility and the potential for abusing it is higher than limiting it to a certain time span.

though could Fertility be reworked to lower the chance of refusal on a pair you're trying for the first time?? heck perhaps it already does and we just dont know about it??

I don't mind having a single chance of refusing again after the reset.  What I mind, and if you didn't intend it that way you need to reword things, is if every single time in future breedings there is a refusal chance.  It's basically guaranteeing that that pair reaches permanent refusal eventually.

no i worded it that way on purpose.

i think having a reset and then a chance to loop hole the mechanic on two dragons who have told us NOPE is too much of a bypass and defeats the purpose of the mechanic itself. if we have that, then the mechanic itself might as well not exist. the threat of re-rejection should remain because were basically forcing two dragons that dont like each other to like each other.

if you look at the flow chart here that i previously linked; it explains better what i was thinking on. something like this doesn't create a scenario where perma-rejection is a thing (which is what we already have); it just shows a cost to continuing to try a pair of dragons that really are incompatible with the hope always being present that they will eventually accept each other.

***not using real numbers, i dont know those***

say you get to the highest rejection possibility because a pair rejects year after year in the reset period (where the reject is 52% and no interest is 46%, 01% at no egg and egg respectively) the higher chance is rejection, and the rejection % would cap out at this. BUT you can still try them each year for the No Interest. heck, you might even "roll a nat 20" and get an egg even though its at 1% chance.

even after 10 years of rejection after rejection, if they give "no interest" they go back to the %'s as if they'd never been bred together (ie: 25% reject, NI, NE, & Egg equally). and if the pair decides to reject again, then it counts back as a 1st attempt (ie: 30% reject, NI & NE respectively, and 10% Egg)

statistically speaking, and to put this in perspective. the chances of me rolling a Yahtze on my first time may be around .08%, that doesn't mean that it can't be done or doesn't happen.

in fact, some would say rolling nat 20's on two d20's rolled at the same time is impossible, but (much to the store owner and DM's disbelief) i actually did that once and have never been able to do it again (and my dice rolled like crap after but hey, i can at least claim i did it once and had witnesses for it xd.png )

Edited by Red2111

So, yes or no:

Are you proposing that every single breeding after the reject is lifted have a reject chance? This is to contrast with normal dragons that only have a reject chance on their first breeding.

Every time you talk about it you do it in such a strange manner that I can't figure out what you really mean.

...I'm torn on this. Part of me wants to support anything that allows breeding a pair that's already refused, regardless of the details. xd.png

But...the mechanics behind this seems a bit complicated and well...frustrating.

(This is basically reiterating what's already been stated by PF13, but) I'd support this the most if we had another chance to breed dragons during the V-day period and it acted the same as though you were breeding them for the first time ever. Same chance of refusal as before, but if they accept each other then they're set for life and you won't have to worry about it again.

All these little details and things just seem...unnecessary to me. I think that intricate details and mechanics can definitely work in a game's favor to make it unique and "better," but the mechanics you've laid out here feel overly-complicated and tedious. And while it does make sense that the dragons would be more likely to refuse again and again, like Zeditha said, it's just a game after all. Not every single piece of the game has to be 100% realistic. smile.gif

As for BSA vs. it just being a thing during the V-day period, well...I have no strong opinions there. I haven't read through ADP's thread (but I probably will soon) so I can't say I prefer one over the other. I just think something needs to be done about refusals if they aren't going to be removed entirely. I don't mind waiting a year to try breeding a refused pair again, as long as I know that there will be a chance eventually--even if that's still frustrating, it's better than what we've got now. xd.png

I'm...also confused. It looks to me like after every reset the rejection percent increases, up until it caps out (4 rejects in a row). I assume after each rejetion you have to wait until the next valentines to retry? So it would take 4 years to cap out? But if at any point on Valentine's they have a non-reject response, you are back to square one - but it messes with the way that pairs' breeding mechanic works so that every single time they attempt to breed from there on out, you have a chance at getting a refusal - which stops that pair breeding until the NEXT valentines rolls round. Is that more or less right?

So assuming I have at least a basic grasp of the concept, I support it (because there needs to be a way to at least TRY to remove a rejection), but I think a one off BSA, or a simple "roll the first breeding attempt again during valentine's" would be better and easier to implement.

Quite. This is FAR too complicated. During Valentine's just have it so that refused pairs CAN try again. Same chances as usual, and retryable every year, with the same odds. Kinda. Simples, no ?

Quite. This is FAR too complicated. During Valentine's just have it so that refused pairs CAN try again. Same chances as usual, and retryable every year, with the same odds. Kinda. Simples, no ?

Yah, I prefer this.

My only concern about the suggestion otherwise is that any normal dragon bred during holiday week is pretty much doomed to die behind the holiday wall. So everyone trying to reset their dragons would likely be sending a ton of nice eggs to their deaths.

Yah, I prefer this.

My only concern about the suggestion otherwise is that any normal dragon bred during holiday week is pretty much doomed to die behind the holiday wall. So everyone trying to reset their dragons would likely be sending a ton of nice eggs to their deaths.

Well, no. If you want to undo a refusal - you'd presumably want to keep the egg and would sacrifice a slot for that ?

Well, no. If you want to undo a refusal - you'd presumably want to keep the egg and would sacrifice a slot for that ?

Nah. Valentine eggs I can get once a year > things I can try to breed all year. Plus, most of the refusals I want to undo are just nicely lined common x common (such as spriters' alt lines), which aren't imperative instant keepers either. Just things I'd want to be able to breed as I pleased in future.

So, yes or no:

Are you proposing that every single breeding after the reject is lifted have a reject chance? 

yes but it would only apply to dragons that have rejected.

I'd support this the most if we had another chance to breed dragons during the V-day period and it acted the same as though you were breeding them for the first time ever.

the numbers i used in my flow chart are arbitrary. i stated to ignore them because i dont know the real numbers and they're meant to show the basic concept of what i'm getting at in an easier manner of explanation.

i'm better at explaining myself in pictures rather than words.

Same chance of refusal as before, but if they accept each other then they're set for life and you won't have to worry about it again.

this is tooo much of a "get out of jail free" card imo.

its a loop hole that basically negates the mechanic, and if TJ was cool with something like that, IMO, he'd just do away with refusals.

It looks to me like after every reset the rejection percent increases, up until it caps out (4 rejects in a row). I assume after each rejetion you have to wait until the next valentines to retry? So it would take 4 years to cap out? But if at any point on Valentine's they have a non-reject response, you are back to square one - but it messes with the way that pairs' breeding mechanic works so that every single time they attempt to breed from there on out, you have a chance at getting a refusal - which stops that pair breeding until the NEXT valentines rolls round. Is that more or less right?

the numbers at this point are arbitrary, as TJ would set those.

but essentially yes, this is the idea of the concept.

So assuming I have at least a basic grasp of the concept, I support it (because there needs to be a way to at least TRY to remove a rejection), but I think a one off BSA, or a simple "roll the first breeding attempt again during valentine's" would be better and easier to implement.

i'd be cool with a 1-off BSA or a BSA that allows a 2nd attempt.

there are options for those that have been around for years though, and we still dont have them.

IMO this either means TJ doesn't like them or they're too OP (over powered) and ruin the reason for the reject mechanic.

turning off all refusals during Valentines is good. but the down side is that, like holidays, refused pairs would still not be breed able during the year.

i imagine you'd have a small chance to get an egg from them in that one breeding and you'd never get off season Valentine eggs from rejected pairs.

this option deals with rejected Valentine pairs giving off season eggs, and allows for multiple chances to try and get the egg you want.

which means a person has to set their priorities in this.

do you want Valentine dragons, or do you want that egg from the pair that rejected.

its part of that compromise thing, you're giving up something to get what you wanted. if you dont want to take the chance the pair produces and the egg dies in the wall, then keep a slot open. its as simple as that.

but this is also one of the reasons why i didn't opt for presenting the "lift all refusals during Valentines season" like what Fuzz suggested.

I would agree with Draconna though, in that the chance of refusal should be the same as when first bred. Yes, increasing the refusal chance would be more realistic, but you can bet anyone unfortunate enough to have their dragons refuse in the first place would be getting another refusal every single year. Plus, we don't have the 'more realistic' feature of refusal rates being different for different breed pairs, and I definitely wouldn't want such a feature. There does come a point where something does become too realistic - it's just a game!

as i said, the numbers are arbitrary.

i'd be open for something like this tho ->

linked for size (again the numbers used are arbitrary)

* you breed a new pair at the current rate.

*if they accept, no worries, but if they reject then this scenario applies to only them.

* every Valentines season they act as if they haven't been bred and you get a second chance.

* any rejected pair that is bred during this time and doesnt reject is breedable from now on, but retains their chance of re-rejection each breeding attempt.

*holidays bred to rejected non-holidays during this season are auto-reset for out of season eggs from that partner.

Edited by Red2111

turning off all refusals during Valentines is good. but the down side is that, like holidays, refused pairs would still not be breed able during the year.

NO - you misunderstand me. I mean that if they bred OK during Valentine's then they would stay unrefusing in future. ANY dragons, not just Valentine's. They'd then NOT refuse again. For EVAH biggrin.gif

Really, as long as there isn't a chance of refusal ever single time you breed a pair, then I'm fine. xd.png I can get behind it if the chance of refusal is higher when you try again during the V-day period, but I strongly think that once they've accepted each other once, it should stay that way.

Imagine this:

That one irreplaceable pair refuses each other. But you figure, hey, it's annoying but you can try again when the V-day breeding period rolls around. So when that period comes around, you breed them, and yay! They don't refuse. But what if they don't produce the egg you need? What if they're a difficult pair and either don't produce eggs or eggs of the breed you need? Every single time you go to breed them, you have to wait in dread expecting to get that refusal message again, forcing you to wait until V-day to try again. Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to have them refuse again before you get the egg you need?

I mean...yes, I suppose that's still better than the perma-refusal we have now.

But at least with perma-refusal, it's kind of like..."Okay, well this pair isn't happening and it's never going to, so I guess I can attempt to replace one of the mates."

If this suggestion were the case though, with the aforementioned scenario, it leaves you kind of on the fence IMO. Personally, I'd be caught between attempting to find a replacement and waiting until V-day in hopes that maybe I'll get lucky and my dragons will not only not refuse again, but actually produce the needed egg before they end up hating each other again. xd.png

I'm in support of removing refusals all together, though I doubt that will happen.

This is too complicated, and possibly over time, far more frustrating that what we have now. There are better ideas suggested for dealing with refusals.

No Support.

the more i think on it, i like the 2nd flow chart better.

so i've updated the OP and idea to this

the concept behind this is relatively simple

See Flow Chart (numbers used are arbitrary, TJ sets those not me)

short story -

if dragons dont reject, its the status quo  BUT if dragons do reject, during the Valentine Breeding Week, you get another chance to breed them.

1a - if they reject you can try them again next Valentines

1b - if the dont reject you can breed them as normal BUT they still retain the ability to reject again.

*Valentines bred to rejected mates are auto reset for out of season attempts

*does not effect how Valentine breeding currently works (only val eggs, multi clutches, no rejections)

*Pairs must be bred in the time frame for it to apply

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ xxBurningxx

the "imagine this" scenario exists in prize lines already. stubborn dragons will be stubborn, theres no getting around that. i have prize lines that have lists on them and week after week i get no eggs or kin, some have been doing that to me for almost a year. (theres a reason why i loathe Lumina and Deep Sea prize lines xd.png )

i get the frustration, trust me; but this is a minor annoyance to rejections. because at least i can try those lines every week and have the hope that i'll get an egg from them.

refusals are, unfortunately, here to stay. i actually hope that TJ makes me put my foot in my mouth and does away with them; i'll gladly eat my words in that case xd.png but having an event or BSA that basically makes rejections null is too powerful and is too much of a loop hole to be something we can realistically expect to get.

if we're going to get eggs from rejected pairs, there should be a challenge to it; otherwise, why not just do away with rejections if you're going to give us an easy "get out of jail free" card with them.

in this scenario, even if the pair re-rejects after giving no eggs for 2 months straight; eventually i'll be able to reset that rejection and continue to try again. which, in the case of lines like him where i only have 1 CB ribbon Dancer to try him to; its worth he slight annoyance because while it may take a while to get my egg, i will eventually get it and i at least have a chance to try for it each year.

Hope > No Hope. every single time; even if the Hope you have comes with a lot of headache attached.

Hope is a very powerful thing, thats why it was in pandora's box and thats why the Raffle has such a dramatic effect on this community.

Edited by Red2111

Imagine this:

That one irreplaceable pair refuses each other. But you figure, hey, it's annoying but you can try again when the V-day breeding period rolls around. So when that period comes around, you breed them, and yay! They don't refuse. But what if they don't produce the egg you need? What if they're a difficult pair and either don't produce eggs or eggs of the breed you need? Every single time you go to breed them, you have to wait in dread expecting to get that refusal message again, forcing you to wait until V-day to try again.

NO - my way, once they don't refuse they would continue not to refuse. It resets, permanently.

Bit this idea is FAR too complicated. I suspect it would even come under what TJ calls "math" and he nixes anything with math.

Edited by fuzzbucket

NO - my way, once they don't refuse they would continue not to refuse. It resets, permanently.

Bit this idea is FAR too complicated. I suspect it would even come under what TJ calls "math" and he nixes anything with math.

Yes, and I agree with your way 100% Fuzz. :3

---

Anyway, @Red2111, I know. Hope definitely trumps no hope any day, and like I said, a part of me supports anything that will at least mean breeding rejected pairs again is a possibility.

But isn't having to wait until the V-day breeding period a big enough pain in the rear to begin with though? I mean, sure, you might get "lucky" and have a pair refuse only a few months/weeks before the V-day period, but there will be a lot of cases of people having to wait over half a year to attempt re-breeding their perfect pair. Is it really necessary to add on top of it the fact that even if they do breed again, they'll probably end up refusing each other again (possibly before you even get the egg you need)?

Edited by xxBurningxx