SullenCat

Raffle or no raffle?

Official word *would* be nice. Precedent has been set, and to just not do it and not say anything is....well, it's not right.

I wonder if TJ is reading this thread, thinking, "THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S IN STORE FOR THEM IN [some undisclosed amount of time]"

ILY TJ thanks for the fab stuff you're planning for DC's 10th birthday.

Also please tell us something about the raffle...pretty please?

I wonder if TJ is reading this thread, thinking, "THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S IN STORE FOR THEM IN [some undisclosed amount of time]"

Yeah, I think that may be exactly what's going on! xd.png

Right? I was thinking the same!

"If only those spoiled kids knew..." -TJ

I must be dense... would that be too much effort for TJ to post and say: "No raffle until xxxx" or "No more raffles" or ????

Just put everybody out of their misery...

Edited by NotBambi

Probably what's going to happen tongue.gif And that'd be fun. I'd just like to know for sure whether one is happening now or not since it's out of the norm smile.gif

ETA: Typo haha

Edited by Eos

I don't mind if the answer is as short or vague as 'Later' or 'Something is replacing the raffle'. I just wish he'd say either way. unsure.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't last year's raffle only announced in mid-January, after the Holiday event had ended? I don't think there was any mention of it by TJ during the event and everyone just assumed there would be a raffle since there had been raffles during past events too, and then there was. Although I could be remembering wrong...

So yeah, I think (and hope!) there might still be a chance of a raffle this year smile.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't last year's raffle only announced in mid-January, after the Holiday event had ended? I don't think there was any mention of it by TJ during the event and everyone just assumed there would be a raffle since there had been raffles during past events too, and then there was. Although I could be remembering wrong...

So yeah, I think (and hope!) there might still be a chance of a raffle this year smile.gif

Last year there was no mention of the raffle in the forum announcement, but the event page did specify how you could get your daily entry so we did know there would be one.

I must be dense... would that be too much effort for TJ to post and say: "No raffle until xxxx" or "No more raffles" or ????

Just put everybody out of their misery...

This is how I feel too.

To be completely honest, I hope there won't be.

Even as I was really very happy for everybody who've won in the raffle over time, including good friends, I've always been disappointed by not winning, especially the years where you had to put in a lot of effort to get the raffle tickets (baking anyone?) Even as the events where absolutely fantastic and well-done, in the end it took on the feeling of 'work'.

Sure, I could've not played. But on the other hand, I've always loved the prize dragons and would truly love one for myself. So of course I played, just on the off-chance that I might win.

This years event has been completely stressfree, fun and awesomely done. I've not spared even a thought on a possible raffle. And it's been wonderful.

TL;DR LOL anyway, if there's no raffle, I won't be sad. If there is a raffle, I'm not going to get myself invested in it smile.gif

Even if there will be no prize raffle what about discontinued/retired breeds/CB hybrids raffle? Those were a thing too I believe...

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

I don't mind if the answer is as short or vague as 'Later' or 'Something is replacing the raffle'. I just wish he'd say either way. unsure.gif

Literally, "Later" would totally suffice. Or "Not now" or even "No" tongue.gif

TJ had a lot of coding to do on the holiday game, so he may have just run out of time to orchestrate a raffle before the New Year.

I seriously hope we didn't get a laggy, buggy flash game instead of the yearly raffle... I would much, much rather have had a more standard event. I hate to be overly critical, but I am beyond disappointed. I didn't even finish all the days because the game was so horribly slow and kept skipping. I got tired of dealing with the headache of wasting over an hour trying to do a simple task every day. No other game, browser-based or otherwise, has EVER been so horribly slow for me. Don't get me wrong; I truthfully don't hold any hope of ever getting anything in a raffle, but it's still nice to know if there's a tiny chance.

TJ had a lot of coding to do on the holiday game, so he may have just run out of time to orchestrate a raffle before the New Year.

What worries me on that statement is that, if TJ could not orchestrate a raffle (something that happened almost routinely for years), there's little hope that he could orchestrate an alternative, new way of distributing prizes and HM.

What worries me on that statement is that, if TJ could not orchestrate a raffle (something that happened almost routinely for years), there's little hope that he could orchestrate an alternative, new way of distributing prizes and HM.

Eh, he has a full time job now. I'm sure that gives him far less time to devote to this site than he had as a student on winter break.

Eh, he has a full time job now. I'm sure that gives him far less time to devote to this site than he had as a student on winter break.

This. In some fields it's not unusual at all for students to be studying/working right through the holidays.

The coding for the actual raffle wouldn't have changed much at all. All you'd need to do is set the random number generator to search for certain parameters(such as whether someone logged on during the 12 Days of Christmas or the past few months or whatever) and set it to pick a certain number among those. And the email generator was already coded from previous years too.

I mean I might be completely wrong on this and everything, but I don't think it takes too much time to go through all this, most of the coding has already been created from previous years, it's just a matter of activating them.

The coding for the actual raffle wouldn't have changed much at all. All you'd need to do is set the random number generator to search for certain parameters(such as whether someone logged on during the 12 Days of Christmas or the past few months or whatever) and set it to pick a certain number among those. And the email generator was already coded from previous years too.

I mean I might be completely wrong on this and everything, but I don't think it takes too much time to go through all this, most of the coding has already been created from previous years, it's just a matter of activating them.

Yep. If he could not find time for that, is there any hope he could find time for an alternative?

I have a teeny inkling of hope for a raffle, but I won't hold my breath.

As for TJ not having enough time to orchestrate, having his job take precedence, etc., it only would have taken a moment to explicitly state in the Jolly Follies or Happy Holidays posts that there was or was not going to be a raffle. I'm guessing that the line about "no other rewards for daily participation" was it, but it would have been better to clearly say one way or another.

As for TJ not having enough time to orchestrate, having his job take precedence, etc., it only would have taken a moment to explicitly state in the Jolly Follies or Happy Holidays posts that there was or was not going to be a raffle. I'm guessing that the line about "no other rewards for daily participation" was it, but it would have been better to clearly say one way or another.

Agreed! It would have taken less than a minute to communicate next steps. So I'm assuming that the lack of communication was .... intentional. I'll be blunt and state that, reading old threads, TJ likes to keep us in the dark. Uh... is there any mushroom smiley available?

I was trying to pop in now and then to see if there were any updates on the raffle (I've been too busy with work >->), so it has been disappointing that there's been no word at all.

As people stated, it would be common courtesy to let his userbase know there'd be no raffle this year if that were the case. Though, I have a feeling TJ does have something planned, but if he doesn't want to elaborate too much on it, it would have been nice if he dropped a "More to be announced at a future time" line, so we won't have to speculate TOO much on if the raffle has even crossed his mind, or to confirm something else was in the works.

But what can you do? Back to work for me!

[..] I'm guessing that the line about "no other rewards for daily participation" was it, but it would have been better to clearly say one way or another.

I beg to disagree. No other rewards for daily participation means that the event isn't connected to a raffle. This doesn't mean there isn't going to be a raffle at all, just that it won't have anything to do with whether you completed Jolly Follies.

Though, I have a feeling TJ does have something planned, but if he doesn't want to elaborate too much on it, it would have been nice if he dropped a "More to be announced at a future time" line, so we won't have to speculate TOO much on if the raffle has even crossed his mind, or to confirm something else was in the works.

This sums up my opinion pretty nicely. smile.gif I understand wanting to give us a surprise, but telling us that something will happen would be nice. (and obviously if it isn't going to happen it would be good to tell us.

I don't think there is a raffle this year. I'm sure TJ would have said by now if there was. I think he's keeping quiet to prevent a moan fest.

I don't think there is a raffle this year. I'm sure TJ would have said by now if there was. I think he's keeping quiet to prevent a moan fest.

A bad plan, then. He could have gotten the grumbles out of the way early had he stated at the start of the event that there would be no raffle. As-is, we've been getting increasingly annoyed by the lack of communication on the matter--most of us, I feel, would be happy to just have word one way or the other at this point. I know I would.