SullenCat

Raffle or no raffle?

A raffle in May for DC's birthday would be cool, with only HM prizes.

This idea is cool biggrin.gif

[...]

My point being that the problem isn't so much the choice not to hold the raffle (though I also disagree with that) but rather the lack of communication and the apparent lack of awareness of player-staff dynamics.

[...]

Lurhstaap made some very incisive statements, and I concur with their assessment - if no raffle is being held, the lack of communication isn't going to go over well. That being said...

I have an inkling that there may be a 'raffle' with a different kind of mechanism this year. I say this because this year's event, compared to all preceding years, is pleasantly complex. I didn't expect to have a minigame like this in DC, and it's a really cool surprise. It also doesn't involve winning entries by completing the daily activity. I think that, given the care and attention to detail that went into the minigame, there may be some plans afoot with the 2015 raffle - not directly related to the game (per TJ's post, "...though there'll be no other rewards for daily participation, so don't feel pressured to take time away from your real holidays."). At any rate, my interest is piqued. ninja.gif

Edited by panthera1

I can completely understand both points of view, and would be fine with any result, but frankly I'd just like to have a final answer.

I would hope there is some sort of raffle or a way to get the HMs back. There is about 30ish (I'm unsure of the *exact* number, someone can correct me on this) active CBs. That is no where near enough and the demand is huge and puts incredible pressure on the owners. That's not fair to them or the user base to be honest.

If the mind is to take away the raffle to cause less drama, well, that time is long gone. It's 5 years too late for that- especially the lack of communication going on. The past of the user base should show you that we don't take change well and even less when it isn't communicated to us. Surprises of this nature do not go over well here, if they ever have.

I can completely understand both points of view, and would be fine with any result, but frankly I'd just like to have a final answer.

I agree. Know there is a raffle would be the best, knowing there's no raffle is second best. Not knowing either way is so annoying >_<

I would hope there is some sort of raffle or a way to get the HMs back. There is about 30ish (I'm unsure of the *exact* number, someone can correct me on this) active CBs. That is no where near enough and the demand is huge and puts incredible pressure on the owners. That's not fair to them or the user base to be honest.

If the mind is to take away the raffle to cause less drama, well, that time is long gone. It's 5 years too late for that- especially the lack of communication going on. The past of the user base should show you that we don't take change well and even less when it isn't communicated to us. Surprises of this nature do not go over well here, if they ever have.

I can't buy into this. Yes the raffles have caused loads of drama. I always hated them, though I'd have been glad to win - but if the drama stops here and now, I for one shall think that losing the raffle would be VERY well worth it.

And to be told that there wasn't one (if there isn't) right before Christmas would have caused a different drama, and people would have been all upset and whiny and begging TJ to reconsider. It ISN'T 5 years too late for anything. Games change; if there isn't a raffle any more - no big deal. There isn't scary trading via the AP any more. There isn't multiclutching of all breeds. I have no doubt there are other things I can't think of that have gone for ever.

And yes, there are FAR FAR FAR more than 30 prize CBs. Of all tins and shimmers together over all years - there are a total of 840 CBs. I am SURE more than 30 of those people are still active.

HMs - I think the store would be a better way to handle that - not that I like the store idea really, but still. No-one could then say how unfair it is and the rest.

I said 30 active HM hollies fuzz, which is the truth. That is not enough to meet demand for them, whether anyone likes it or not.

I said 30 active HM hollies fuzz, which is the truth. That is not enough to meet demand for them, whether anyone likes it or not.

You said

There were all sorts of HMs that weren't hollies - I had no idea that was what you meant. I think the CB hybrids were much more interesting. And I'd have gone for a frill if I'd won an HM prize. Even so - when I needed 2 gen whites from CB hollies for a project and put that in my sig, I had 5 within the week. I think there are a good many more than 30 active.

Do I want a raffle? Truthfully, I don't know. I hate not winning a prize, but I'd be estatic if I did. Personally tho, I'd prefer winning an Honorable Mention.. I'd rather have a caveborn holly, than a tinsel or shimmerscale.

However, I'm one of those folk who support the Store idea 100%. I think EVERYONE should be able to get a caveborn Tinsel, Shimmerscale, old holiday, ALT or hybrid. Not being able to have them makes me madder than anything. While this isn't a pay to play game, the addition of the raffle made it seem like one. So I'd rather we just forget the raffle and open the Store.

However, I do not support adding the discontinued breeds (bright pink and frill) to the store. Their artists wanted them removed from the game for a reason, and unless the artists change their minds, it should stay that way.

I really hope there is a raffle, personally. Shocking to see a few people who don't want one. But I'd say the majority are up for the raffle and want it to happen!

I really hope there is a raffle, personally. Shocking to see a few people who don't want one. But I'd say the majority are up for the raffle and want it to happen!

OK so I'm shocking. xd.png But to see an end to the why didn't I win, why weren't there more prizes, why weren't there the exact prizes I want and so on - it would be SO worth it. The store is way better - even though I'm not actually a fan of it.

If we don't hear anything about the raffle by the time the Jolly Follies game is pulled from the site, then I'm going to be convinced that we're not having one at this time.

It just looks like we aren't having a raffle... I was hoping Jolly Follies would mention it somehow... but guess not.

Maybe it'll be for the Birthday instead?

I really hope we have a raffle though, it's like the main reason I joined the site!

OK so I'm shocking. xd.png But to see an end to the why didn't I win, why weren't there more prizes, why weren't there the exact prizes I want and so on - it would be SO worth it. The store is way better - even though I'm not actually a fan of it.

Shock-shock horror! laugh.gif Well, you were my first gifter here at DC (you gifted me a whole set of Tins & Shims). I see you do a lot for the DC community. So, if anybody deserves a Prize its you fuzz! smile.gif

I can understand what you are saying about withstanding the sore losers but it'll be a shame for the majority to miss out because of those individuals. I didn't even know about the Raffle last time around because I began playing in late November 2014 and didn't visit the DC forums until later. But people just need to try and remain humble when they are at a loss, no matter how frustrating it may be. I play the National Lottery for £2 ($3) each time. And when I ALWAYS lose (lol) I just rip the ticket up and try again. Not going to throw a hissy fit over it!

Of course, if there is indeed a Raffle this year and I'm not pulled out as one of the lucky winners, I will be a bit gutted about it. I love this game and invest lots of time in it. Getting a CB Prize would be a dream! Having said that, I will hold my head up high, congratulate the winners and maybe try and grab some fresh 2nd Gen Prize dragons (well, I say that and haven't even managed to obtain any 2nd Gen Prize as yet) unsure.gif Lol!

But, you know what people, don't hate....appreciate! wink.gif

Edited by Sinion Kabe

It just looks like we aren't having a raffle... I was hoping Jolly Follies would mention it somehow... but guess not.

Maybe it'll be for the Birthday instead?

I really hope we have a raffle though, it's like the main reason I joined the site!

But but but but - what would be the point of winning one if you hadn't joined to collect dragons ??>

*is baffled*

Thanks, Sinion wub.gif - but raffles don't deliver to the deserving players, even if I thought I were one ! That's the main issue - so many people seem to feel that everyone "ought to" win - and it's random - and people seem to HATE that. See all the posts "if you have won once you shouldn't be allowed to win again" and so on. The basic facts of randomness seem to escape them ! The shop would not be random at all. Much fairer, and no scope for arguments.

Thanks, Sinion wub.gif - but raffles don't deliver to the deserving players, even if I thought I were one ! That's the main issue - so many people seem to feel that everyone "ought to" win - and it's random - and people seem to HATE that. See all the posts "if you have won once you shouldn't be allowed to win again" and so on. The basic facts of randomness seem to escape them ! The shop would not  be random at all. Much fairer, and no scope for arguments.

No probs smile.gif

I know what you mean about some gamers somewhat undeservedly winning Prize dragons. The people with 50 or so forum posts who hardly play the game anyway! But I suppose a Raffle is a Raffle and that is how it has to go. It must be hard for TJ and the Staff because, even if they changed the format from a Raffle to awarding gamers who they think deserved the Prizes, there would be others left upset who would say that they deserved it more. It would be the exact same situation. It's kinda catch-22. The Raffle seems to be the only/fairest way of doing it at the moment (well, minus your mention of a shop). Or maybe they could continue with a Raffle whilst also gifting Prizes to outstanding, helpful members of the community? Who knows, that is another debate altogether. Lol.

I do hope there is a Raffle this year, as there has been in previous years.

Edited by Sinion Kabe

I know what you mean about some gamers somewhat undeservedly winning Prize dragons. The people with 50 or so forum posts who hardly play the game anyway! But I suppose a Raffle is a Raffle and that is how it has to go. It must be hard for TJ and the Staff because, even if they changed the format from a Raffle to awarding gamers who they think deserved the Prizes, there would be others left upset who would say that they deserved it more. It would be the exact same situation. It's kinda catch-22. The Raffle seems to be the only/fairest way of doing it at the moment (well, minus your mention of a shop). Or maybe they could continue with a Raffle whilst also gifting Prizes to outstanding, helpful members of the community? Who knows, that is another debate altogether. Lol.

I do hope there is a Raffle this year, as there has been in previous years.

Personally, I take more issue with people with multiple scrolls winning prizes, while law-abiding players are left out. Since there's often a mass scroll-burning shortly after the raffle, I've been of the private opinion for some years now that it's also a honey-trap for multiscrollers - though that does nothing for those that missed out because others cheated. Those prizes are lost along with the illegal scrolls they were on. sad.gif

Re "deserving" - Uhmm. I have no idea how this would be decided, but after the tree decoration/voting competition, which is widely acknowledged to be highly contentious even now, I would still rather have the raffle and randomness than watch people ripping each other to shreds over who is more worthy. sad.gif

Generally, I'm half-wondering whether there'll be some sort of announcement/site update in the new year, but who knows?

Oh GOD no "reward"/"deserving" type thing instead. That would be even worse. The tree decorating was horrible. The decorating was enormous fun; the voting and judging and so on were not fun at all.

But since the true essence of RANDOM seems to escape so many people _ as in one person could in theory win every year; a new player with one dead egg could win - and so on - raffles here are never going to work without contention. The shop would be TOTALLY fair.

Re "deserving" - Uhmm.  I have no idea how this would be decided, but after the tree decoration/voting competition, which is widely acknowledged to be highly contentious even now, I would still rather have the raffle and randomness than watch people ripping each other to shreds over who is more worthy.  sad.gif

Generally, I'm half-wondering whether there'll be some sort of announcement/site update in the new year, but who knows?

Totally agree. I'd much, much rather have a raffle in which random people are chosen (regardless of how often they post -- since forum participation has literally nothing to do with winning the raffle and regardless of if they've won in the past) because, as fuzzbucket said, it is truly...random. Or, I'd much rather have users earn them through some other way (ex: the store). But not through voting competitions.

Re: Announcement. I'd think TJ would make an announcement at some point. I just am less and less optimistic about the raffle happening now because we're nearing the end of the holiday event.

ETA: Typo smile.gif

Edited by Eos

A store? An actual store where people pay real life money to buy eggs?

That would the absolute WORST thing to happen I can imagine.

No. No. Please not. Really, no. Just no.

Everyone has an equal chance at winning in a raffle, however small it might be. But paying? There are people out there that have not much. This would be beyond unfair.

So no. I can't stress this enough. No.

Totally agree. I'd much, much rather have a raffle in which random people are chosen (regardless of how often they post -- since forum participation has literally nothing to do with winning the raffle and regardless of if they've won in the past) because, as fuzzbucket said, it is truly...random.

I knew somebody would select that snippet from my post and and comment on it lol! But think about it, Eos....people who don't use the forums much to trade etc, their Prize dragon goes to complete waste! Sure, it is still their choice on what they wish to do with it but I still stand by my opinion that people who don't fully participate within the DC community shouldn't really deserve to win! Having said that, those same people should get the opportunity to enter. I still agree it should be totally random. And we should just hope that people actually use their dragons to help others build their scrolls. Afterall, that is what we are here for.

Personally, I take more issue with people with multiple scrolls winning prizes, while law-abiding players are left out. Since there's often a mass scroll-burning shortly after the raffle, I've been of the private opinion for some years now that it's also a honey-trap for multiscrollers - though that does nothing for those that missed out because others cheated. Those prizes are lost along with the illegal scrolls they were on.

I take that point of yours and it is such a shame sad.gif But let them continue to cheat because those people will be found out and will have their scrolls burned, trust me on that one! ALL cheaters get caught somehow in the end. And then their entire scroll goes to complete and utter waste! Other than TJ and the Staff relying on people like us to report suspicious activity, I am also sure that TJ is working on scripts which will alert him to any type of cheating that is going on. And so, eventually, these people will be caught out!

Oh GOD no "reward"/"deserving" type thing instead. That would be even worse. The tree decorating was horrible. The decorating was enormous fun; the voting and judging and so on were not fun at all.

Lol! Point taken laugh.gif Ok, let's not go down that route!

Edited by Sinion Kabe

A store? An actual store where people pay real life money to buy eggs?

That would the absolute WORST thing to happen I can imagine.

No. No. Please not. Really, no. Just no.

Everyone has an equal chance at winning in a raffle, however small it might be. But paying? There are people out there that have not much. This would be beyond unfair.

So no. I can't stress this enough. No.

I believe the store / trading post that's being referenced is the one discussed in this thread. This would involve earning some kind of DC currency in-game (not real money) and 'purchase' eggs from a trader. smile.gif

Edited by panthera1

I believe the store / trading post that's being referenced is the one discussed in this thread. This would involve earning some kind of DC currency in-game (not real money) and 'purchase' eggs from a trader. smile.gif

Though this wouldn't be all that bad, I'd still hate it.

Thanks for the answer - somehow relieved now, will have to look into the linked thread when I'm less tired and on the computer instead of the phone. smile.gif

Edited by Gluria