TJ09

2015-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

I adore the adults! But the lineage tiles are really cramped and I can't seem to see him all that well ---> Example of a Lineage

I just bred this egg and it doesn't look as good as I thought mostly because I can't seem to see the Aegis....

I agree that the lineage tile looks a little off-center, like it should be shifted to the right a bit.

Quick art page as well as a little info on the breed:

user posted image

Aegis Dragon

Aegis Dragons are benevolent, gentle dragons.

They have the ability to fly using magic.

They're fairly large, about the size of an adult elephant when fully grown.

They have short, fine fur covering their bodies.

Their fur and manes are pillowy-soft, like down.

Due to their kind nature, they can't stand seeing something wrong happen.

Being naughty with an Aegis nearby is never a good thing, because that will set one off into a rage that's hard to quell... so make sure to be nice, okay? Not everything is always as it seems.

I see a lot of questions, so here this is.

Hmmm am I doing something wrong? I walked around the square, talked to everyone there & got a kitty... now what? smile.gif

Hmmm am I doing something wrong? I walked around the square, talked to everyone there & got a kitty... now what? smile.gif

Doble-check you have actually spoken to everyone - some of them are hard to get to. When you have, PERL will give you your just reward and the game's over. smile.gif

My main account has the gift badge.

I made another account to see to choose the naughty choices to see what are they like and get the coal badge.

It was a fun game!

Um, I don't think you're supposed to have multiple accounts on Dragon Cave?

Doble-check you have actually spoken to everyone - some of them are hard to get to. When you have, PERL will give you your just reward and the game's over. smile.gif

Ah haaaa yes - missed Janus! smile.gif The art in the credits is AMAZING!

Both my Aegis dragons are grown up! biggrin.gif YAY I LOVE the artwork. X3 I second the complaints about the lineage tiles, like it might be better if they were shifted to the left a bit, so that the body centers a bit more. smile.gif As of right now, there's a lot of open space to the right of the dragon that makes him look like he's trying to slide off panel. smile.gif Just a suggestion! c:

Loved the game. >u< I'm super glad I have a dark purple kitty with GOLD EYES >8D Epicness. X3 <3

I was about to ask where everybody was getting a kitty from, but then I went back into the game and saw it...it wasn't there earlier when I finished the game!

Just think, next year we can hoard the daylights out of them. YES!

I think it's just to show respect for those who have celebrations other than Christian during this time. Which I feel is fine, due to the fact that Christmas is actually the new kid on the block!! Lol...

Winter celebrations in one form or another have been going on for thousands of years, in many countries, and many religions. Christmas itself wasn't really celebrated until around 200 AD. And to further muddy the waters, both biblical AND secular scholars agree that based on biblical reports of events and such, Jesus was most likely born in the summer.

Newly Christianized Rome put it in the winter to counter all those other 'pagan' festivals that occur during this time.  So, I think it's not so much "anti-Christmas" but more to respect others. Anyway, Happy Haunakwanzmas!!!  laugh.gif

I know this is a late response, but I feel a need to comment on this because, while in general I agree, in the case of DC I think it was the wrong move and I was unhappy to notice it just like the person you're responding to, though for somewhat different reasons.

Firstly, DC had already set a precedent. IMO it's not good to change something without good reason if it's already been so. If the game were relatively new and this were the first mention of winter holidays, fine. But they've been Christmas, specifically, for YEARS. Not 'winter holiday', but Christmas specifically. Which brings me to my other problem with this. With the exception of the Mistletoe and the Solstice, who have more general 'winter' themes, and the arguably Hannukah colored (and brand new) Aegis, all the other Christmas dragons are just that. Their colors and themes are blatantly those of Christmas. Not Kwanzaa or Hannukah or any other winter holiday.

So to me, it's a bit like making a new Superman movie where Superman is a black woman. It's not that I'm racist or sexist. But Superman is not a black woman. He just isn't. You could make a similar character who was a black woman, but that would not be Superman. It'd be its own thing that was inspired by Superman.

In the same way, we now have a bunch of blatant Christmas dragons pretending to be inclusive 'holiday' dragons. To me, that's not respectful, that's white-washing. If we're actually going to go this route, the holiday dragons have to ACTUALLY start representing other holidays and the winter event has to stop always revolving around December 25th. Or else what the heck was the point? Might as well just continue calling it Christmas and put the descriptions back how they were.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me anyway it's more offensive to do this kind of surface level language change without making any deeper changes than to just have it be a non inclusive, openly Christmas-only thing. At least the latter is honest and accurate.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's a third problem. It's ambiguous. Previously it was possible to refer to Halloween, Valentine's, and Christmas dragons collectively as holiday dragons. But if 'Christmas' is now 'holiday' that is no longer possible without the chance of confusion and miscommunication. Do the benefits of the change justify the headache? Honestly, given my other problems with this as well, I feel not.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I know this is a late response, but I feel a need to comment on this because, while in general I agree, in the case of DC I think it was the wrong move and I was unhappy to notice it just like the person you're responding to, though for somewhat different reasons.

Firstly, DC had already set a precedent. IMO it's not good to change something without good reason if it's already been so. If the game were relatively new and this were the first mention of winter holidays, fine. But they've been Christmas, specifically, for YEARS. Not 'winter holiday', but Christmas specifically. Which brings me to my other problem with this. With the exception of the Mistletoe and the Solstice, who have more general 'winter' themes, and the arguably Hannukah colored (and brand new) Aegis, all the other Christmas dragons are just that. Their colors and themes are blatantly those of Christmas. Not Kwanzaa or Hannukah or any other winter holiday.

So to me, it's a bit like making a new Superman movie where Superman is a black woman. It's not that I'm racist or sexist. But Superman is not a black woman. He just isn't. You could make a similar character who was a black woman, but that would not be Superman. It'd be its own thing that was inspired by Superman.

In the same way, we now have a bunch of blatant Christmas dragons pretending to be inclusive 'holiday' dragons. To me, that's not respectful, that's white-washing. If we're actually going to go this route, the holiday dragons have to ACTUALLY start representing other holidays and the winter event has to stop always revolving around December 25th. Or else what the heck was the point? Might as well just continue calling it Christmas and put the descriptions back how they were.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me anyway it's more offensive to do this kind of surface level language change without making any deeper changes than to just have it be a non inclusive, openly Christmas-only thing. At least the latter is honest and accurate.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's a third problem. It's ambiguous. Previously it was possible to refer to Halloween, Valentine's, and Christmas dragons collectively as holiday dragons. But if 'Christmas' is now 'holiday' that is no longer possible without the chance of confusion and miscommunication. Do the benefits of the change justify the headache? Honestly, given my other problems with this as well, I feel not.

No offense but I could not find any official reference to Christmas dragons. The Holly is referenced as the "Holiday Dragon (2007)" , the Yule is referenced as the "Holiday Dragon (2008)", etc. And, frankly, i think that's fair and makes the Holidays quite more inclusive. The fact that this is Holiday season in DC, instead of being the Xmas season, does not make me feel that I should not gift, actually the opposite.

Okay, honestly the topic of religion is the point that I'm sure TJ was hoping to avoid with this change... It seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of situation, and either way somebody is going to be offended. What's the safest route in any situation for a "professional level" company? Respect ALL of the religions, ALL of the player base. What's the best way to do that? Make it a winter holiday. It coincides very well with the winter solstice - oh look! We have a Solstice dragon. We have Winter Seasonals around the same exact time! How nice.

I'm not religious - but how does that affect anybody but me? Honestly, it shouldn't, and aside from this post I hope it doesn't. I still celebrate Christmas with my family, but it's more about the time at the end of the year & the beginning of the year to celebrate and spend time with family. Sorry, but there's no religion around my family celebrations. But that's just my personal experience....

I'll end it there, and won't say more... but again, you can't please everybody! happy.gif

Edit: I realize this may come off snarky or rude to some people, but I just want to clarify that is not my intent! unsure.gif This is probably just not the best thread to discuss this...

Back on topic, my little Fluffy Timbers will be growing up tomorrow - so excited! biggrin.gif Can't wait to try him with my GoN, hopefully I don't get a refusal like I got from my first male...

Edited by Areous

It does say that now, NotBambi, but that is new. Before now, it said Christmas. That is the change to which I refer. If it weren't a change I wouldn't care or be commenting on it. But I clearly remember it saying Christmas before now and I know I'm not alone because others have remarked on it. You may notice that if you sort your scroll by breed, the Christmas dragons sort under C, not H. That's because before this year they were Christmas dragons.

I also never said that this had any impact on people's inclination to gift. I would hope not! tongue.gif

For me this has 0% to do with religion. None of my points had anything to do with religion except incidentally. It's about precedent, logic/reason, and honesty. To say the current slate of Christmas dragons are anything but that, with three exceptions, is just plain not honest. They were released as Christmas dragons. To pretend otherwise now is a LIE and THAT bothers me. If we're going to be "inclusive" then it needs to be REAL and not a superficial text edit.

Like I said before. If DC were new, or the winter events were new, then 'holiday' would be fine and the logical choice. But neither of those things are true. Changing a pre-existing 'Christmas' to 'holiday' is VERY different, and NOT because of religious offense reasons, at least not to me.

If this, this year's Christmas - sorry, 'holiday' - thread, isn't the place to to discuss something that happened to 'holiday' dragons this year, then where is...? I'm sorry if discussing this makes some people uncomfortable but that doesn't make this the wrong place to discuss it.

EDIT: And just to be clear I'm not exactly up in arms about this. Emotionally it has zero impact. But it does bother me on a variety of intellectual and ethical levels, which make up the body of my argument. I'm not going to fume and steam about this for ages. I really hope it doesn't become a point of drama for anyone. It's definitely a silly thing to be angry over. But it is something worth thinking about and discussing, at least IMO.

Edited by Lurhstaap

100% adore these guys. Maybe even 900% more than that. All the way up to an indefinite amount of love I have for them. Maybe even as much as I love my beans... *loud gasps echo throughout the room*

I named my two boys Hardcore Zinogre and Apex Zinogre. Mainly cause of reasons. tongue.gif Apex grows up in another couple hours but I'm too tired to wait. Hardcore is fully grown with a description but I'm waiting on that to be approved. Hopefully it will soon. It's a pretty neatly written one.

If this, this year's Christmas - sorry, 'holiday' - thread, isn't the place to to discuss something that happened to 'holiday' dragons this year, then where is...? I'm sorry if discussing this makes some people uncomfortable but that doesn't make this the wrong place to discuss it.

I just wasn't sure where WOULD be a good place to discuss this... as this is technically the thread for the newly released dragon, not necessarily the events. But as your point was that the "Christmas" tag for the current dragons has been the change, I do suppose this would be the proper place to discuss it.

I understand you weren't trying to make it about religion, just that the potential reasoning for the change is just that - religion. That's all tongue.gif

No offense but I could not find any official reference to Christmas dragons. The Holly is referenced as the "Holiday Dragon (2007)" , the Yule is referenced as the "Holiday Dragon (2008)", etc. And, frankly, i think that's fair and makes the Holidays quite more inclusive. The fact that this is Holiday season in DC, instead of being the Xmas season, does not make me feel that I should not gift, actually the opposite.

Just to clarify on this, the change from "Christmas" to "Holiday" was officially noted on April 6, 2015. The previous description used to be as follows:

"Christmas dragons are a very mysterious breed. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the 'Spirits of Christmas.'"

I'm not on anyone's side here, just clarifying that. Also, I think the change may have been made because most of the world seems to be moving towards saying "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" anymore due to a lot of people who don't celebrate Christmas getting offended/annoyed by the statement. I've noticed this in particular over the last few years working in retail, and how management tells us to greet/approach customers now. I presume the change must be coming around due to some level of globalisation? Either way, I don't think it's "lying" in any way, but more of a transition of the phrase/language itself, kinda like how gay used to mean happy (more often than not) and now it refers to homosexuality (more often than not).

Argus the good and Boreas Aquilon Anemoi (Greek/Roman gods of winter winds)

I thought it was appropriate, and Argus is the hundred eyed giant in Greek mythology that sees all. Given that this guy would see you being naughty... or nice it would fit. Plus the adult spots look like eyes. My two boys are still hatchlings and haven't matured yet but I'm excited for them to grow!

I just wasn't sure where WOULD be a good place to discuss this... as this is technically the thread for the newly released dragon, not necessarily the events. But as your point was that the "Christmas" tag for the current dragons has been the change, I do suppose this would be the proper place to discuss it.

I understand you weren't trying to make it about religion, just that the potential reasoning for the change is just that - religion. That's all tongue.gif

It's all good! smile.gif I'm sorry if I sounded annoyed or anything. I sometimes struggle to communicate so especially when trying to present a reasoned argument (in the debate sense) I try to be very clear in my language. But that sometimes then ends up sounding stiff or rude or angry. It's a tough balance. There isn't a perfectly fitted spot for this discussion, I don't think, but this thread comes closest since the change affects the dragons more than the event per se - after all, the event was of a brand new sort. We OOCly might call it Christmas while the IC Valkemarians just say holiday without that being an issue.

Come to think of it, does this mean ex-Christmas dragons will now sort under H? Or will they stay in C, thus making the 'inclusiveness' again seem shallow and inconsistent? There are problems with either approach. This is why I emphasized precedent. It may seem like a tiny, insignificant thing, but it impacts the game in ways that may not be immediately obvious.

Idk I don't think this is really the place to argue Christmas vs holidays things. It's not really topical for the thread and not really appreciated