TJ09

2015-12-19 - Holiday Event Info

I didn't get to finish from Day 3 Oh well =')

As a little present to you all, I've uploaded a slightly large wallpaper size of the painting on my DA page, http://nakaseart.deviantart.com/art/Holly-...stmas-581367834

Much love to you all!

Many thanks to the team who made this possible!

Happy New Year! Be safe <3

That is lovely, and the stars really pop against the darker background of my screen. I will keep this one in my stash of rotating wallpapers

Cannot believe all the whining going on about 'Didn't know it was gonna ENNNND!' when TJ specifically told us the game would be only 12 days long. Also don't understand all the carping about hating the game - I'm an old fart who never played Zelda or anything but I had a blast with DC's game - it was creative and challenging and, yes, sometimes I needed all the hints other kind players supplied. I was really glad it wasn't just another decorate this type of tired thing.

Well done all, I've enjoyed every frustrating minute of our daily challenges. Many thanks.

I definitely enjoyed the game. I felt like I was playing the Pokemon games and it was really fun.

Some minor bugs and glitches but that still didn't bother me.

What I don't understand was how people were still having trouble even playing the game and some people stuck on some puzzles. Sure, the character would get stuck in a corner and not move, in which I consider for that to be a bug, but usually a restart would fix it and worked like a charm after completing it. And the puzzles were remotely easy as well.

Game worked fine for me on chrome, firefox and opera, in which I am happy for lmao.

I've got a couple of questions:

1. How come Bord is still a little tyke if he hatched last year? Dragons on scrolls grow to adulthood in just a week or two. Or do Humans know something about hatching dragon eggs that make them mature faster?

2. Was this game all in-house coding, or did you use a game creating program? If so, which one? I'd like to do my own games, but I'm not up to all the coding that's involved.

1. How come Bord is still a little tyke if he hatched last year? Dragons on scrolls grow to adulthood in just a week or two. Or do Humans know something about hatching dragon eggs that make them mature faster?

2. Was this game all in-house coding, or did you use a game creating program? If so, which one? I'd like to do my own games, but I'm not up to all the coding that's involved.

1. DC time is implied to be very different from Earth time. (I thought there was something about it in the general hatchie text, but I must be mis-remembering).

2. TJ coded the engine himself, apparently.

1. "Dragons are creatures with nearly unlimited life spans. They can survive for long periods of time, and no one has found a dragon that has died of old age. Adolescence is usually marked by the growth of a hatchling’s wings, although not all breeds of dragons grow wings and some breeds have other traits that indicate the beginning of maturation. Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years."

Bord's still a baby; he has wings, but it's gonna take him another year and change to fully mature (possibly up to 2 years depending on when exactly he got his wings).

2. Someone (I think Odeen) said TJ custom-wrote the game engine for this.

1. "Dragons are creatures with nearly unlimited life spans. They can survive for long periods of time, and no one has found a dragon that has died of old age. Adolescence is usually marked by the growth of a hatchling’s wings, although not all breeds of dragons grow wings and some breeds have other traits that indicate the beginning of maturation. Once they hit adolescence, hatchlings change quickly, maturing to their full forms in only 2 years."

Bord's still a baby; he has wings, but it's gonna take him another year and change to fully mature (possibly up to 2 years depending on when exactly he got his wings).

Ah! That was the text I was trying to find! smile.gif

I'm glad I managed to finish the game. I still feel bad that I let down VALA though, even though it wasn't my fault - it was the glitch that mismatched the choices.

Does anyone have the animation of Buffy? My sister would like to use it with Renronin, but we never found it on the wiki. sad.gif

I'd like Buffy as well. I have the gift cat (does it have a name?) and and Renronin in the sig, but I'd love Buffy to complete them.

I would think the gift cat would be something each of us would name ourselves, since it's ours. I shall call mine Othello. He reminds me of MacBeth, my "big boned" Maine Coon mix, who is nearly 14 years old.

This event was okay...frustrating for me, LOL.

My favorite so far, though, was the snow forts. I wish we could go and redo all our old 'Holiday" things each year smile.gif Would be fun to rebuild the fort each year.

I've seen quite a few people disappointed by the game and I know RPG games aren't for everyone I love this game so very much! It was a great change to what we normally have here for events and experimenting with different event ideas is always nice. While the game did have glitches, which is to be expected when a game is made in such a sort time frame, it was creative the puzzles where interesting and the music was amazing. I especially liked the story. Very well done! I can't wait to see what new events show up next year! smile.gif

This is still crazy to me that you all were able to put something like this together! Many thanks to all, a little sad it's over happy.gif

I've loved all the winter holiday events that I have participated in, the 2010 Tree, 2011 Wreath, 2012 Gingerbread, 2013 Snow Fort and this year's Jolly Follies, and just want to thank all involved in their production. Picking a favorite is simply impossible. <3

I have wished each could be available as a downloadable game, to play when offline, but I'm still happy to have had the chance to play them. I do love going back to peek in on my tree, wreath, house and fort periodically, and it would be fun if there if there was a way to return to the Valkemarian Tales. I do regret missing 2014, too, especially since I understand there were callbacks in this year's game. I will continue to hope they are all available in some form, sometime in the future.

One thing, though. I never got the sound for this year's game. I would like to hear it sometime, so keep us posted on the CD release.

Thank you again to all, and Happy New Year, everyone! biggrin.gif

This was super cute, and a lot of fun. Thanks to those who created it, and to those who helped those of us who needed a nudge in the right direction. Without that nudge I'd still be wandering around trying to place those darn mirrors correctly. laugh.gif

Thanks for the game you guys, I'm impressed you were able to pull something like this together. I had fun exploring the different areas.

I'm a little disappointed I was unable to finish it, though. I couldn't complete Day 11 because every time I tried to decorate one of the lights, my game would freeze and I'd have to reset over and over again. :/

My favorite so far is still Snow Wars. I wouldn't mind seeing something like it again.

I hate to be negative, but for once I'm going to be.

I know many, many people enjoyed this event and I really do appreciate how much hard work various people put into it and how much it provided for many. However, I have to say that for me there was no fun and no enjoyment at all sad.gif It was, for me, the worst Christmas event DC has run.

I really struggled with it; it's not my kind of game and one day I spent two hours (I kid you not) just trying to solve the task. I wouldn't have managed had it not been for some kind people who helped out with maps and advice. And then on Christmas Day the only time I had available to attempt to solve the task the game was down, so I couldn't even attempt to do it.

For something that was meant to be fun, all it caused me was stress. I felt it wasn't at all inclusive, it wasn't something that everyone could do - unlike every other year. I was really disappointed with it.

Having said that the new dragons are awesome so it hasn't all been disappointment on DC this year. Plus, as I said I know it brought pleasure to many, many people, which is good.

Happy New Year's Eve to all. May 2016 be a good year for all. I wish you health, peace and happiness.

I'll add my voice to yours as well.

I've collected every badge in the six years I've been here and I wanted this one too.

I would never have got through myself, without the help of the maps and having my cries for help answered by lovely people.

I didn't look forward to this daily event at all, and my heart stopped a couple of times when I had to refresh after refresh and start again numerous times because the game wouldn't work properly for me.

I think we'll see more of these game events, but I'd much prefer something more relaxing.

I'll add my voice to yours as well.

I've collected every badge in the six years I've been here and I wanted this one too.

I would never have got through myself, without the help of the maps and having my cries for help answered by lovely people.

I didn't look forward to this daily event at all, and my heart stopped a couple of times when I had to refresh after refresh and start again numerous times because the game wouldn't work properly for me.

I think we'll see more of these game events, but I'd much prefer something more relaxing.

I am going to have to agree, I couldn't have done this without help.

The game didn't work for the first few days, but I was able to catch up by doing the quests one after the other after the game was fixed.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to create and Help

Is there any way you can put the game back up? I wasn't able to finish it in time with all the celebrations happening this time of year, but I totally want to see what other quests were out there! LOVED the game!

Didn't get time to type this earlier, but to those of you who said that TJ gave a clear finish time for the game.

Well, this is the logic I followed, which is also quite reasonable in my opinion, but which results in the wrong impression about the end time.

Fact 1: there will be twelve different storylines (one per day)

- this means that there are twelve different quests to do.

Then we look at the time and see that this reaches nearly to the end of the year. And TJ's talking about not feeling pressured to take time away from our real holidays.

Nothing in this says anything against the theory that on the 31st we can keep playing, but there won't be a new quest.

I think the important consideration here is not everyone has played an RPG, and even those that have might not have the immediate mastery of such.

In this case I think it would have been useful to have a more equal playing field where people who play many RPGs don't have an advantage. Even having played RPGs the objectives were clear, but not easily located. For instance it often said "north", and there are several ways to go north, which leads players into a considerable waste of time. For those not used to RPGs, that's could be a big negative.

Just a disclaimer; I know this is how many RPGs at their core used to be. You have a massive map, you get some hints, but its up to you to find where to go in the vast landscape. But that kind of game isn't for everyone, and I think its alienated a few people from this event.

That's not to say an RPG was in any way a bad idea for an event, just that a few steps might have been useful to ensure that people both hardcore RPG fans and casual users alike could enjoy the event more equally.

The most obvious thing I can thing of now is perhaps an arrow or other indicator pointing to where the next objective begins, whether its there by default or hidden under a "show hint" button.

Big thanks to the artists, writers and coders. Can tell a lot of time and effort was put into it...

Edited by Ashywolf

I generally liked the game, brought me back to the old days of RPGs. It's nice to see them try to do different event ideas even if it doesn't fit everyone's cup of hot cocoa.

I was going to try to be naughty but I just couldn't bring myself to be such a jerk; And after grabbing every cat or furry critter in the town there was no way I was going to keep it...

The new dragon is really nice, thinking of lineages for it is going to be fun. Overall thank you to those who worked hard on the event.