ValkyrieXx

Abandoned Page Improvements

Ok, so I pretty much live on the abandoned page. It makes me really sad to see all those baby dragons get left alone. About 60% of the dragons on my scroll are abandoned.

I was thinking, what could be added to the abandoned page?

I came up with a couple of ideas.

Eggs and Hatchling Tabs:

Sometimes people need common/uncommon hatchlings to trade or gift, and have too many eggs (I always have waaay too many eggs). Eggs and hatchlings put on the same AP, so what if at the top of the AP screen you saw two options, a hatchlings page and an egg page, so hatchlings would be on one page, which would be hatchlings only, and not frozen or sick hatchlings. An then the eggs section would work just as it does now. A lot of AP egg snipers get to the hatchlings before anyone else, so I feel like it would be a good idea.

Since the hatchling page would most likely get more visits than the eggs page, maybe there could be a limit, for say, two hatchies per day, or 2 hatchies per 2 days?

Egg Breed Info:

In the Abandoned Page, it only says how many days the egg had left, and not the breed name. Should the breed name be put above how many days it has left? I am not totally sure about this one.

Egg Info:

Sometimes I don't want a certain egg, I just want to look at its lineage or former owner, but if I click it, I take it. There should be a way to see an egg/hatchlings info.

Feel free, to add suggestions, comments, or other ideas to this topic, but please do not totally shoot down my ideas. I didn't think this through a lot, and it was just some quick ideas that came to me last night that I thought I could post here for improvement, and not a beating.

When posting here, please don't just list 10 reasons why this would never work, just try to improve it or add new ideas.

Thanks,

BlackTeaDragon (ValkyrieXx)

There's not enough hatchlings abandoned to warrant separate tabs for each growing stage. ^^

I like the way you're thinking, but I don't think anything here would really improve my own experience of the AP.

Adding breed names will make the AP busier and bigger, making it harder to browse, particularly for mobile users. As well, once you're around for a while, you'll learn what all the eggs look like and the breed names will become obsolete, and chances are you'll get tired of them cluttering the page. =p

Once you have unlocked a breed with the encyclopedia, you'll be able to see the breed listed on the view page, anyway. ^^

Egg info we can kind of already do. Right click the egg, copy the url, paste in your address, and replace /abandoned/ with /lineage/ or /view/, then enter.

I'm not opposed to this one, but I don't know a good way to implement it. Without a good way to implement it, I think it is fine to leave it at the url manipulation or to just re-abandon it, since it's not like there's a wait for that anyway. So even though I'm not opposed, among the many things in suggestions I would like to see, this is low priority since there are fairly low time workarounds.

There's not enough hatchlings abandoned to warrant separate tabs for each growing stage. ^^

I like the way you're thinking, but I don't think anything here would really improve my own experience of the AP.

Adding breed names will make the AP busier and bigger, making it harder to browse, particularly for mobile users. As well, once you're around for a while, you'll learn what all the eggs look like and the breed names will become obsolete, and chances are you'll get tired of them cluttering the page. =p

Once you have unlocked a breed with the encyclopedia, you'll be able to see the breed listed on the view page, anyway. ^^

Egg info we can kind of already do. Right click the egg, copy the url, paste in your address, and replace /abandoned/ with /lineage/ or /view/, then enter.

I'm not opposed to this one, but I don't know a good way to implement it. Without a good way to implement it, I think it is fine to leave it at the url manipulation or to just re-abandon it, since it's not like there's a wait for that anyway. So even though I'm not opposed, among the many things in suggestions I would like to see, this is low priority since there are fairly low time workarounds.

Pretty much what Socky said.

Only one minor thing - I found it easiest to lock myself intentionally with something and then open up all AP eggs in separate tabs. I'll get the overburdened message of course but the I copy and paste "lineage" over "get" and can browse through all the eggs I'm interested in. When I find a lineage I like I abandon the "blocker" egg in my original tab and simply go back on the tab of the egg I WANT to keep. It works pretty well for browsing through common eggs which sit for quite some while before being picked up.

I pretty much also agree with Sock. xP

By the way, what's important is that people do post reasons why they don't like an idea, not that they actively work to improve an idea that they don't like (although that is always nice). Reasons why an idea is not liked can be analyzed and used to make the idea better, even if all that was posted was reasons why the idea wouldn't work. What's truly frustrating for a suggestion poster is when someone just says that they don't like it, since there is no way to make the idea more appealing to them or less unappealing.

I definitely agree with Sock. First of all, hatchlings are pretty rare on the AP. I AP surf constantly and don't see near enough hatchlings to warrant a whole nother tab for them. It would be wasted space. Breed names and egg info are very easy to figure out, as Sock said. I know that these are things that might be wanted every now and then, I just don't think it's a big enough deal for a change and the downside of cluttering up the AP.

Edited by Marie19R

That makes a lot if sense. These were just wierd quick thoughts I had. smile.gif

Hatchling page/tab... nope.. not enough hatchlings to need one

Breed Info.. if there was a way to toggle the names on/off, it would be useful to newbies. But once you've been here for a while, you memorize which egg is which.

Egg Info.. now this is something I wish for... not necessarily how you've described it tho.. personally, I'd like a hover text option that tells you whether the egg is caveborn or bred. I hate thowing back bred eggs over and over and over... unless I'm hunting for potential eggs to play the ALT lottery with.

Biggest improvement I would like to see to the AP tho, is lower time eggs. I wish eggs never had more than 5 days on them.. basically, I wish they were all incuhatchable. tongue.gif I'd certainly take and hatch more of them if they were.. I'd love to be constantly hatchling locked as well as egg locked, lol.

I use the AP a LOT! I'm guessing 60-70% of the CBs on my scroll have come from the AP, along with EG lineages, hatchlings, whatever catches my fancy.

As far as my needs, the AP is perfect as it is. Don't complicate it, and don't slow it up with extra data.

No support.

Eggs and Hatchling Tabs:

Sometimes people need common/uncommon hatchlings to trade or gift, and have too many eggs (I always have waaay too many eggs). Eggs and hatchlings put on the same AP, so what if at the top of the AP screen you saw two options, a hatchlings page and an egg page, so hatchlings would be on one page, which would be hatchlings only, and not frozen or sick hatchlings. An then the eggs section would work just as it does now. A lot of AP egg snipers get to the hatchlings before anyone else, so I feel like it would be a good idea.

Since the hatchling page would most likely get more visits than the eggs page, maybe there could be a limit, for say, two hatchies per day, or 2 hatchies per 2 days?

I don't really think this would be of use. As has been said, there's so few hatchlings that go there it would still be empty most of the time even with a one or two per day restriction. There's so many users browsing at any given time, and I imagine a large number would zip over to the hatchling tab if there was a way to differentiate, resulting in much the same problem of them being snapped up instantly. If we had a lot more on the AP, then it would be great, but all things considered I don't think any advantage would be had at all--if anything it would make it harder because then EVERYBODY on that page would be targeting hatchlings, rather than some of them after eggs instead.

Egg Breed Info:

In the Abandoned Page, it only says how many days the egg had left, and not the breed name. Should the breed name be put above how many days it has left? I am not totally sure about this one.

I'm not inherently opposed to this, but I feel it would work better as an optional setting--it would get rather clunky and cumbersome very quickly if you knew exactly what you were in the AP for, or if you were on mobile, or if you just in general already know the looks of things and don't want it cluttering up the page. But as a toggle setting for people who do want it? Especially great for newbies, I think!

Egg Info:

Sometimes I don't want a certain egg, I just want to look at its lineage or former owner, but if I click it, I take it. There should be a way to see an egg/hatchlings info.

I like this idea--while you can just do what was suggested and lock yourself, or manually type the /view/CODE URL that's a bit of a pain. I'm just not sure how to easily put this in without it getting clunky like the breed info. If you click the egg and it goes to limbo while you look that's not fair to the people who want to take the egg, so it wouldn't be able to be done like that.

When posting here, please don't just list 10 reasons why this would never work, just try to improve it or add new ideas.

It's all well and good to ask that, but in all honesty nobody has to actually do anything of the sort. Users are entitled to their opinions that this is simply something they don't like or don't want to see added, and they are equally entitled to post that. It's more helpful for you if they give you reasoning, but they're very much allowed to not do so. Additionally, even if they just say that it won't work for X reasons without giving a suggestion to improve it that's not always bad! You can take what they're saying into account and work around it.

Egg Info.. now this is something I wish for... not necessarily how you've described it tho.. personally, I'd like a hover text option that tells you whether the egg is caveborn or bred. I hate thowing back bred eggs over and over and over... unless I'm hunting for potential eggs to play the ALT lottery with.

A simple CB/BD or something placed over the egg image itself in a corner or something could also be used to denote if it's CB or bred. That could potentially be another way to indicate that. Hover over isn't bad, but I'm not sure how well that would translate to the mobile versions of the site.

Egg Info:

Sometimes I don't want a certain egg, I just want to look at its lineage or former owner, but if I click it, I take it. There should be a way to see an egg/hatchlings info

That's the only suggestion I'd like to see. Breed names are not necessary for me, I have memorized how each breed's eggs look anyway. Hatchie tab won't work because there are not enough hatchies, that has been suggested and shot down before.

A lineage link would be awesome and could avoid a lot of clicking. Maybe the timer could be made into a link that leads to the lineage, and the egg image remain the link to the code page? Though that could create a lot of confusion, I guess...

Pretty much what Socky said.

Only one minor thing - I found it easiest to lock myself intentionally with something and then open up all AP eggs in separate tabs. I'll get the overburdened message of course but the I copy and paste "lineage" over "get" and can browse through all the eggs I'm interested in. When I find a lineage I like I abandon the "blocker" egg in my original tab and simply go back on the tab of the egg I WANT to keep. It works pretty well for browsing through common eggs which sit for quite some while before being picked up.

100% agreed.

I'd like to have a way to go directly to the lineage link of an AP egg, but everything else seems like it wouldn't work.

Breed names tell you less about the dragon the egg will turn into than the look of the egg itself, so that seems pretty superfluous. (If in doubt, check the wiki: http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Which_egg_is_which%3F )

An extra hatchling tab will almost always be empty anyway. Most people have some space left for hatchies, but not for eggs. What I could see myself support, though, is to put hatchlings in front of eggs, but I'm not sure this would change anything. It's still the same fast clickers who'll get them first.

I'm sorry but I honestly think that most of these suggestions are pretty useless.

Eggs and Hatchling Tabs: Unnecessary. There aren't many hatchlings in the AP and when they appear they are quickly grabbed.

Egg Breed Info: Unnecessary. Maybe because you are rather new to DC you haven't memorized all breed eggs but most players already have and it's easy to identify the breed looking at the egg.

Egg Info: The problem with this suggestion is that it only works for eggs that are unwanted. While you would be looking at the egg info, someone else will grab it. Only caveblockers sits for many minutes in the AP, the most desired eggs are quickly grabbed.

and if you grabbed the egg you have the whole time in the world to check all the infomations like lineage, time left, etc.

That's why it's easier to grab the egg that called your attention and drop it if you don't want it.

For me, the only way the AP can improve is to have separate pages for holidays and "normal" eggs. Some people (like me), enjoy hunting or want to hunt for low time (5 days or less) CB eggs and not given the opportunity to do so. I understand that holidays are a once in a year thing; but I feel that I don't need anything this year... What else can I do on here besides wait for the new Christmas dragons to come?

For me, the only way the AP can improve is to have separate pages for holidays and "normal" eggs. Some people (like me), enjoy hunting or want to hunt for low time (5 days or less) CB eggs and not given the opportunity to do so. I understand that holidays are a once in a year thing; but I feel that I don't need anything this year... What else can I do on here besides wait for the new Christmas dragons to come?

No, please. One line of non-holidays at the bottom.

Yes, separate APs is the best idea. Full support.

I don't have enough time to read all of the responses (I'll come back after work)

But I thought of a neat idea, but it may not be a do-able thing, at least not quickly.

During the holidays, there's a ton of people on the Abandoned Page. I personally love trying to dig through the eggs to see the goodies I can find. The problem I run into is I keep picking up eggs I've already seen and abandoned again. Maybe have a way to tell which egg I've looked at? Possibly greyed out or something. I thought it would be an interesting idea, and it would greatly help cut down time.

EDIT: The only thing I would worry about is the possible loading time. I don't know anything about computer coding and all that (I may even be wrong all together), but I think the page loading too slowly would kind of defeat the purpose of "cutting down time".

Edited by HeartJacker13

*snip* Maybe have a way to tell which egg I've looked at? Possibly greyed out or something. I thought it would be an interesting idea, and it would greatly help cut down time.

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before, but don't remember the reaction. (Although I think I'd remember if the reaction was too negative, so it probably wasn't.)

I don't remember why it was shot down, but I'm still in favor of it. Throwing back the same egg over and over and over again is downright frustrating. If I didn't want it the first time, I certainly don't want it the 2nd, 10th or 100th time. Personally, once I've abandoned an egg, I would prefer to NEVER see it again. If there was some way to accomplish that, I'd be in favor of it 100%.

Perhaps you are thinking of my Identify BSA suggestion? *Toots own horn*

As far as the suggestions in the OP go, I don't think a new abandoned hatchling page is a good idea. As has been said, there are simply too few around to really warrant it, and it certainly wouldn't fix the problem of the fastest hunters still getting them--people would just lurk there instead of in eggs, or switch back and forth between the two.

As for breed name, that isn't shown when cave hunting, either, so it'd seem strange to have it here. Plus, the AP is all about squishing a lot of little eggs in the same space; clunky things like added text would be hard to fit in. Although there WAS a suggestion for visually blind / blind players about adding a way to view the AP where eggs were marked with two-letter abbreviations, I think, as a way to tell them apart, so maybe that...? Otherwise, it's easy enough to just look up how the breed your looking for's eggs look and go on from there.

The lineage thing--oh, I can see the practical implications, but as per the above "it's hard to fit a lot of stuff in the AP," I'm not sure how well it'd work. An option to hover over eggs to show their lineage was one suggestion, but I worry it'd slow the AP down, or make seeing eggs hard because you're always trying to peer past the hovering lineage image. While it's not a fix, though, if you didn't know you can find the code of an egg by hovering over it, and then you just throw that into a dragcave.net/lineage/insertcodehere format to see what it is.

I do rather like the idea of a CB marker on eggs, and of course, I like the 'identify' bsa I linked above.

I'm definitely in favor of a way to identify an egg you've tossed back. Even if it only tracked the last 10 eggs or something it would be handy.

Furthermore, I'm absolutely on board with a holiday and non-holiday separation, provided it's done as two totally different pages rather than tabs or something. I don't see how that would be a bad thing, as it could only beneficial as far as I can tell.